• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Speaking of Pyrrha, the more I think about it, the more I think that Arkos is pretty bad actually. I mean Pyrrha's reason for liking Jaune seems weak(She's WAY too good for him) and it sucks a lot of her character revolved around it and when in vol 3 she had something besides, she's fridged for Jaune.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Pyrrha, the more I think about it, the more I think that Arkos is pretty bad actually. I mean Pyrrha's reason for liking Jaune seems weak(She's WAY too good for him) and it sucks a lot of her character revolved around it and when in vol 3 she had something besides, she's fridged for Jaune.
you have a bit of a point with the fridging thing, but I'll also argue that Pyrrah did have plenty of agency and was still a good character overall, but I don't really agree with Pyrrah being too good for him. Jaune started from 0 and he actually grew a lot within the first three volumes, and of course Pyrrah liked Jaune because of how earnest he was. Jaune made a lot of the mistakes many teenagers with low self esteem do(letting a bully push you around to the detriment of your friendships, not seeing what's right in front of you because hey who would really like you etc.), but Jaune was intent on bettering himself and he learned to be a better friend along the way as well, so really talk of 'too good' or 'not deserve' really has no place in their relationship to be frank.

Like Adam didn't deserve Blake, but that wasn't because Blake was better than him at doing stuff, it was because Adam was a toxic scumfuck and Blake is actually a good person.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
you have a bit of a point with the fridging thing, but I'll also argue that Pyrrah did have plenty of agency and was still a good character overall, but I don't really agree with Pyrrah being too good for him. Jaune started from 0 and he actually grew a lot within the first three volumes, and of course Pyrrah liked Jaune because of how earnest he was. Jaune made a lot of the mistakes many teenagers with low self esteem do(letting a bully push you around to the detriment of your friendships, not seeing what's right in front of you because hey who would really like you etc.), but Jaune was intent on bettering himself and he learned to be a better friend along the way as well, so really talk of 'too good' or 'not deserve' really has no place in their relationship to be frank.

Like Adam didn't deserve Blake, but that wasn't because Blake was better than him at doing stuff, it was because Adam was a toxic scumfuck and Blake is actually a good person.

Well when you phrase it like that you're right 'too god' doesn't apply to them.

Still don't think Pyrrha had that much agency though. Most of her stuff in vol 1-2 revolved around Jaune and I can't remember what didn't. And the thing about her liking Jaune for being earnest. Eh....I guess. I mean she said she liked him because he didn't put her on a pedestal, but neither did Ren, Nora, Ruby, Blake, or Yang if I recall. Also it seems kind of rushed going from "oh hey this guy is ernest, I like him" to "I LOVE him". Didn't really seem to have a natural progression.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The Beacon arc is rough in general and Pyrrha really suffered as being Jaune's love interest. I know it will never happen out of respect for Monty but I'd really like to see the first three volumes remade and expanded upon.
Neo, Emerald, Mercury. None of them have to join the good guys, they just need to be a separate faction of bad guys. Street level villains.
Unless they find a way to temporarily write Salem out the picture by the end of this arc, I don't see there really being a need or room for another faction.

As I sit and think about it, this show has too many damn characters and not enough time.

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The Beacon arc is rough in general and Pyrrha really suffered as being Jaune's love interest. I know it will never happen out of respect for Monty but I'd really like to see the first three volumes remade and expanded upon.

Unless they find a way to temporarily write Salem out the picture by the end of this arc, I don't see there really being a need or room for another faction.

As I sit and think about it, this show has too many damn characters and not enough time.
it's unfortunate that the episodes can't all be full standard half hour ones

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I wish people would learn what fridging actually means, it doesnt apply to Pyrrha at all.

Fridging is when a female character is killed specifically in story to hurt a male character. Its not just any time a female character dies and a male happens to be sad about it. The intent in universe has to be to hurt her to hurt him.

Cinder didnt give a single fuck about Jaune, she didnt even know his name at Haven. Her killing Pyrrha had literally zero to do with him. Its not fridging.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would learn what fridging actually means, it doesnt apply to Pyrrha at all.

Fridging is when a female character is killed specifically in story to hurt a male character. Its not just any time a female character dies and a male happens to be sad about it. The intent in universe has to be to hurt her to hurt him.

Cinder didnt give a single fuck about Jaune, she didnt even know his name at Haven. Her killing Pyrrha had literally zero to do with him. Its not fridging.

It's been incredibly misused in internet discussion about media. Like you said now "fridging" to people is character dies and another character feels bad.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Pyrrah controlled most of her destiny during the show honestly. Just because she had a lot of focus on Jaune doesn't detract from that imo. She chose to let Jaune keep going to the school despite knowing that he faked it. She chose to accept the maiden powers, and she chose to go fight Cinder herself knowing she'd probably die, It's not like Cinder came up behind her and stabbed her in the back just so Jaune could cry over her while she slowly died, hell it was Ruby who got a front row seat.

Also thinking about it, like Pyrrha was supposed to be the strongest first year at Beacon right? I always wondered how a Yang vs Pyrrha fight would go, like would it be a close match or would Pyrrha be able to mess Yang up enough to make her sloppy and easy to exploit? Because I don't think there was much of a big gap in their physical abilities, Pyrrha was just a much more tactical fighter at the time.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Pyrrah controlled most of her destiny during the show honestly. Just because she had a lot of focus on Jaune doesn't detract from that imo. She chose to let Jaune keep going to the school despite knowing that he faked it. She chose to accept the maiden powers, and she chose to go fight Cinder herself knowing she'd probably die, It's not like Cinder came up behind her and stabbed her in the back just so Jaune could cry over her while she slowly died, hell it was Ruby who got a front row seat.

Also thinking about it, like Pyrrha was supposed to be the strongest first year at Beacon right? I always wondered how a Yang vs Pyrrha fight would go, like would it be a close match or would Pyrrha be able to mess Yang up enough to make her sloppy and easy to exploit? Because I don't think there was much of a big gap in their physical abilities, Pyrrha was just a much more tactical fighter at the time.

Pyrrha wins. Pyrrah was the smarter fighter and I think she could've easily goad Yang into messing up. Her semblance is pretty powerful as well as there is metal everywhere especially on weapons. Also can you imagine vol 1-3 Yang doing as well against Cinder as Pyrrha did?

Pyrrha really started to come into her own in Vol 3 and then she had to die.

Don't you think Ruby being so beat up over Pyrrha's death is kinda awkward as they weren't shown to have a super-close bond? I mean did they even hang out individually or have a serious interaction with each other?

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Pyrrha wins. Pyrrah was the smarter fighter and I think she could've easily goad Yang into messing up. Her semblance is pretty powerful as well as there is metal everywhere especially on weapons. Also can you imagine vol 1-3 Yang doing as well against Cinder as Pyrrha did?

Don't you think Ruby being so beat up over Pyrrha's death is kinda awkward as they weren't shown to have a super-close bond? I mean did they even hang out individually or have a serious interaction with each other?
I mean yes I would expect Pyrrha to win like 7/10 times at least, but lets not forget that Pyrrha was also fighting Cinder in a very advantageous environment for her. She wouldn't necessarily have all that access to metallic objects like she did against Cinder which was basically the only reason she lasted as long as she did against her. Though I think if you dropped beginning of Vol. 5 Yang into Volume 3 Yang's body and she and Pyrrha fought it would be really close.

Also I don't really see a problem with Ruby being that beat up over Pyrrha's death. Even if it wasn't her fault that she didn't make it in time that was still her friend that she had to watch die, and when something that traumatic happens and you're unable to prevent it blaming yourself for not being able to stop it isn't an unusual response. Like let's not forget that they went to Beacon together for over half a year...how long was it again? Well it definitely wasn't just a couple of months. That's plenty of time for Ruby to feel strongly about losing Pyrrha even if they weren't particularly close.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have mixed feelings about the comic playing fast and loose with the events of the story but...

I'm super into this Weiss/Willow fight, last issue was a lot of fun.

ER1RS5RXUAYCRqB

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...

I don't really see it as something that will happen with the current direction of the series, more of a epilogue type thing.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember them interacting a lot, since Pyrrha was pretty much always tied to Jaune. Ruby's the kind of shounen-esque protagonist filled with empathy that would have that kind of reaction to seeing any aquanitence die before them. Also there is the factor of it probably being the first time she ever witnessed someone straight up be murdered, which is traumatic. I bought into it at the time and it works in the moment, but only Jaune, Ren, and Nora should really have any longing attachment to her.

What you point out is why I want to see the Beacon arc expanded upon, because with Vol. 1 and 2 they had to be super focused and economical with their storytelling and then Vol. 3 was plot city. Of course part of the problem with the first arc is they clearly did not have things well planned out.

Last edited:

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Ruby was trying to back Pyhrra up when she was killed right in front of her, so there's definitely an element of guilt to it. She probably thinks that if she were a little faster, Pyhrra might be alive. Also, they weren't as close as they were with their own teams, but they were still friends.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Ruby was trying to back Pyhrra up when she was killed right in front of her, so there's definitely an element of guilt to it. She probably thinks that if she were a little faster, Pyhrra might be alive. Also, they weren't as close as they were with their own teams, but they were still friends.

Yeah but they weren't that close. So using her as the trigger for the Silver Eyes seems kinda, I dunno not as impactful, especially as I said before we don't see them having close interactions. Just expecting us to assume they did is just glossing over it rather than showing not telling. Imagine if Goku went SSJ because of say Yamcha dying or something. It'd be like "Yeah they were friends, but was this character really the right choice for an impactful, traumatic super-power awakening"?

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but they weren't that close. So using her as the trigger for the Silver Eyes seems kinda, I dunno not as impactful, especially as I said before we don't see them having close interactions. Just expecting us to assume they did is just glossing over it rather than showing not telling. Imagine if Goku went SSJ because of say Yamcha dying or something. It'd be like "Yeah they were friends, but was this character really the right choice for an impactful, traumatic super-power awakening"?
I mean I don't really see why it would need to be someone as close to Ruby as Yang or even Weiss and Blake to elicit that kind of response from her. Ruby's the type of person who wants to protect people, like in general, not to get anything out of it. Just ya know help people. Besides in volumes 1-3 team RWBY and team JNPR are always hanging out with each other outside of major story beats so it's not really a stretch to imagine that the two teams are pretty good friends in general.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

glad to see that they're trying to put more interactions between characters in volume 8, that was probably my only real gripe with 7

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like the desire for Emerald's redemption comes 100% from her being a cute girl and little from anything else. Like she's a scumbag with no sense of regret for her actions.

Like Raven is a bad person, but you know she knows she's a bad person and clearly at times regrets that.

Emerald's like "I'd kick a puppy if the need so required." her issues with Salem are less "This is really bad" and more "Fuck, this is more than I bargained for."

Only real difference between her and Merc, is Merc has self awareness to his scumfuckery.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
This backstory better be Cinder or I swear....

Also nice on Miles admitting they overestimated themselves on the Faunus issue.
yeah It's good to admit your faults especially when it comes to things like that. Though it feels like the RWBY writers have matured a lot since then in Volume 6 and especially volume 7, so I wouldn't mind if they tried again if they felt they could give it the proper amount of time and consideration.

I feel like the desire for Emerald's redemption comes 100% from her being a cute girl and little from anything else. Like she's a scumbag with no sense of regret for her actions.

Like Raven is a bad person, but you know she knows she's a bad person and clearly at times regrets that.

Emerald's like "I'd kick a puppy if the need so required." her issues with Salem are less "This is really bad" and more "Fuck, this is more than I bargained for."

Only real difference between her and Merc, is Merc has self awareness to his scumfuckery.
I'm sure a lot of it stems from Cinder and Emerald's relationship power dynamic being abusively lopsided. That said I don't really have any desire for Emerald to get redeemed myself since she clearly only cares about Cinder's approval and hurting others is something that doesn't bother her at all.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started watching it again from the beginning. Just finished volume 1. I forgot how badass Penny was. That final fight of the season was sick.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Yang crying over this complete stranger?
Listen everyone needs a Yang hug every once in a while, even someone who's gotten tons of them like Ruby. You see that excellent shorty hugging technique? Cradling the back of the head while holding the body close and firmly but not tightly.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Wait where does this 'Qrow is Ruby's real dad' stuff come from? Like I never got that impression at all. Though I do hope we get some Xiao Long family bonding at some point

Oct 25, 2017
Wait where does this 'Qrow is Ruby's real dad' stuff come from? Like I never got that impression at all. Though I do hope we get some Xiao Long family bonding at some point

It's mostly because Ruby stylizes herself a lot after Qrow (her fighting style is something she learned from him) and the more subtle things about Qrow where if you look at his team photo Summer is outlined with a glass stain meaning he covered her picture and when he got poisoned in V4 he was muttering "Tai she isn't coming back"

Basically what is there is that Qrow was probably really close to Summer, and his alcholism might have been sparked after her death but people think Ruby is actually the secret love child between Qrow and Summer.

Even the writers and Monty when he was still alive confirmed Tai was Ruby's dad, but people still don't believe it.

I honestly want to see Tai be more involved in the show.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly because Ruby stylizes herself a lot after Qrow (her fighting style is something she learned from him) and the more subtle things about Qrow where if you look at his team photo Summer is outlined with a glass stain meaning he covered her picture and when he got poisoned in V4 he was muttering "Tai she isn't coming back"

Basically what is there is that Qrow was probably really close to Summer, and his alcholism might have been sparked after her death but people think Ruby is actually the secret love child between Qrow and Summer.

Even the writers and Monty when he was still alive confirmed Tai was Ruby's dad, but people still don't believe it.

I honestly want to see Tai be more involved in the show.
I've heard Volume 9 is supposed to be shorter than normal so maybe its going to be more of a 'downtime' volume and if so I think that would be a great opportunity to just have the characters just be together as they prepare for the next phase of fighting Salem or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard Volume 9 is supposed to be shorter than normal so maybe its going to be more of a 'downtime' volume and if so I think that would be a great opportunity to just have the characters just be together as they prepare for the next phase of fighting Salem or whatever.

Reading that link about the C2E2 stuff, the writers expressed frustration because they know V7 didn't have much character interaction because they had to set a lot of things up for V8, but the thing is V8 is literally starting with the main villain coming to the front door.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that link about the C2E2 stuff, the writers expressed frustration because they know V7 didn't have much character interaction because they had to set a lot of things up for V8, but the thing is V8 is literally starting with the main villain coming to the front door.
I'm assuming Salem will probably be using siege tactics otherwise how will they fill what's supposed to be the longest volume yet with mostly just the battle for Atlas

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is definitely an issue and a concern of mine.
I'm assuming Salem will probably be using siege tactics otherwise how will they fill what's supposed to be the longest volume yet with mostly just the battle for Atlas
Makes sense even if Atlas' forces have been shown to be completely inept. I think the only thing they can do to buy themselves time is to have Penny use the staff, one way or another, to lift Atlas high into the atmosphere. Of course then at the end of Vol. 8 Atlas will colony drop and obliterate Solitas. Atlas is inevitably going to fall, literally, at some point.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

Makes sense even if Atlas' forces have been shown to be completely inept. I think the only thing they can do to buy themselves time is to have Penny use the staff, one way or another, to lift Atlas high into the atmosphere. Of course then at the end of Vol. 8 Atlas will colony drop and obliterate Solitas. Atlas is inevitably going to fall, literally, at some point.
my prediction is that team RWBYJNOR is gonna gank the staff and use it to raise the communications tower to call for backup from the other kingdoms.

Also about people who say Ironwood is right, do they not remember that his paranoia and use of strong arm tactics and shows of force are a big part of why Beacon fell?

Oct 25, 2017

While it's a good cliffhanger, it raises a lot of questions.

If Salem is coming to destroy Atlas then the question is "why didn't she do that earlier"?

I think she is coming in to create a further divide between Mantle and Atlas.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
If Salem is coming to destroy Atlas then the question is "why didn't she do that earlier"?
Salem is one of those villains that you have to suspend your disbelief a lot for. She's unkillable and could very easily take care of business herself but doesn't because reasons.
my prediction is that team RWBYJNOR is gonna gank the staff and use it to raise the communications tower to call for backup from the other kingdoms.
Problem is the Amity Communications Tower isn't finished. They'd probably need to take Watts away from Ironwood and get him to cooperate with Pietro to have it finished. Even then, it's not like the other kingdoms have fleets of airships to quickly send backup.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Salem just randomly show up in one of the major kingdoms and start murdering a bunch of people I'm sure that would cause plenty of the chaos she wants.
Salem is one of those villains that you have to suspend your disbelief a lot for. She's unkillable and could very easily take care of business herself but doesn't because reasons.

Problem is the Amity Communications Tower isn't finished. They'd probably need to take Watts away from Ironwood and get him to cooperate with Pietro to have it finished. Even then, it's not like the other kingdoms have fleets of airships to quickly send backup.
If we're to go by what Watts said it probably is ready for communication purposes, just not ready for launch yet.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
It amuses me that a ton of the songs from the first 3 volumes are basically: hope y'all are ready because shit's gonna get pretty fucking bad

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Going back and watching some of the earlier stuff it just occurred to me that Blake and Yang are both in better mental states in volume 7 than they have been since before the fall of beacon, and in Blake's case she's probably in a better place than she has been since before the show started.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the IstandwithVic crowd really is blowing a gasket that Miles said that the reason the racism plotline feels half baked was because he was an overamibitious white 22 year old, and they are really fixating on him saying "he's white".

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Going back and watching some of the earlier stuff it just occurred to me that Blake and Yang are both in better mental states in volume 7 than they have been since before the fall of beacon, and in Blake's case she's probably in a better place than she has been since before the show started.
Character development. You love to see it when it works.

Man, the IstandwithVic crowd really is blowing a gasket that Miles said that the reason the racism plotline feels half baked was because he was an overamibitious white 22 year old, and they are really fixating on him saying "he's white".
This isn't even a new phenomenon. I was surprised that Gone With The Wind was made by a liberal with good intentions. It really pays to get advice from people with experience with racism to get it right in fiction.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

Why do they care? We know most of them don't even care about racism itself or are racist themselves. Let me guess, they think Miles is "racist" against white people for his comment right?