• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme them as summons - Taichi wrestling summon would be OP and the best thing ever. Heck, why wait until 8, I'll buy it for a high price as DLC in 7.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed the DLC this week and have been toying with the extra leveling stuff in Premium Adventure. Which is nice as it lets me boost my weapons and job levels some more. Tried the second Amon tower curious as to see what the difficulty is like (this is on PA, normal difficulty) and yeah, I was mauled by the first enemy.

So EX Hard mode here I come. Since it gives out Job XP way higher than in the normal difficulty, I should hopefully be around job level 99 by the time I reach Amon the second time... hopefully that means I won't get so badly mauled next time. And in the mean time, I get to enjoy the awesome story all over again.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some notes/differences on EX Hard mode:

As the job cap is increased from 30 to 99, while standard XP for the character level is unchanged from one mode to this, the job XP is far increased - so you'll easily increase job level even early on. So far at the start of chapter 5 my Ichiban is job 40, Namba (Homeless) 49 and Adachi (cop) 39.
Enemies are weak for the first couple of chapters until you really start getting a party. Then they start dealing way more damage. Random encounters and long fights have enemies dealing hundreds of damage. So yeah, a couple of hits and your dead if your not careful. Which is a far cry from the tickling enemies did on normal difficulty.
They also evade more. Way more. Enemies basically never evade in normal mode, but here you will miss sometimes.
Money and items carry over (just remember to reequip armor and weapons as party members join otherwise they'll be insanely weak!), as do most (but not all) moves. Summons carry over, but are locked until you meet GBH. All the friendship based upgrades need unlocking again, but thankfully all of Ichiban's human upgrades stay unlocked.
Side stories can be completed again if you want, for rewards etc. Sujimon entries stay unlocked, and if you've fought all 251/252 you can speak to the prof (again) and you'll fight him as the 252nd entry. He's fairly dangerous damage wise but you can quickly finish him off for a cool 3mil yen.

Only thing I need to figure out is if you can bolster your defense more, as the enemies in the top part of the map around the park and China Town are incredibly powerful and will one/two shot you if your not careful (especially dangerous if enemies start comboing).

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I'm managed to get my party to level 99 before starting new game +, but the new dungeon is destroying me.
I wonder if all jobs need to be levelled up? And not just the ones I use.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm managed to get my party to level 99 before starting new game +, but the new dungeon is destroying me.
I wonder if all jobs need to be levelled up? And not just the ones I use.
So Amon's towers are interesting, they are difficulty independant. Having finished EX hard:

The normal Amon tower which unlocks when you first finish the game doesn;t increase in difficulty on EX Hard - which means its actually the easiest part of the game to play on EX Hard as everything does so little damage - yet EXP and rewards are great because its basically a endgame dungeon. So that's useful.

The new Amon tower is geared toward people who have finished EX Hard. And even then, its hard, which makes it the first difficult thing in the series for over a decade. So that's nice! In order to tackle Amon's Super Tower you'd want to be completely max leveled with job and base level, and seemingly have really good gear which boosts your health to 2K-2.5K AT LEAST - this is the bit I'm stuck on, I've seen one vid with a dude that has incredible stats but I'm unsure how he managed it. I really need to figure it out as I can't even clear floor 2 in the EX Hard tower yet!

EX Hard in general is fantastic fun though, you can't let your guard down for a second because as of chapter 3, enemies can one shot you (if your really low level, sounds like your fine in that regard) or finish you off in 2-3 hits. And this balances throughout the game so it makes the beginning feel harder because later in the game you'll be rocking better stats and enemies will only get weaker! (slightly).

Keep in mind you keep all your weapons and money, but for your team you'll need to redo their friendship quests including the business management stuff to unlock and max affinity Eri. Now the thing with these friendship missions if you recall is that the final part are missions with you and said friend against a group of enemies - which obviously is way harder now. So for Namba (where its just you Vs a group of goons), Han and especially Zhao (who has Mabuchi show up) are very challenging. Basically unless your rocking high level summons and/or orbital lasers forget about it!

Speaking of which, once you clear the GBH side story (which you have to do in order to progress the story) you unlock every summon you previously had. So in my case I'm rocking everyone from about chapter 5!

The best general strategy is to just focus on your favourite jobs (Saeko has gotta be Idol though) and then build a team up around those. Focus on just the one job and make sure you level those up. Now while XP rates don't change between difficulty levels, job XP does, significantly. The basic gist of it is that its based on the number of enemies in a group, not the level of enemies determines how much job XP you get. So a fight against one of those strong enemies? Its a super long drawn out fight with almost no XP. But a fight against 5 lowest level enemies around the slum areas of Ijincho? 80-100K job XP right there! Utilise this to level up as much as you can.

The rest is just down to perfecting your parry timing, using Saeko and/or Namba to debuff enemies and heal the group, while dudes like Ichiban, Adachi etc. hit hard. Bosses actually feel like they get less health because you hit harder, however they obviously hit hard. But keep in mind those early level bosses hit about as hard as the late game ones, aside from a couple of specific moves so don't worry too much about a difficulty spike at the end.

I think that should basically sum it up. Also keep in mind that on EX Hard, using the money girl summon in floor 30 of the arena gives you 10mil+ per play. Its the quickest way to make money once you reach that point.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Also, something to your other point Desmond - turns out that I'd missed a huge gameplay mechanic in EX Hard. As you mentioned, yes leveling all jobs (even the ones you don't use) will give you a huge advantage across of all EX Hard. Turns out that every few levels there are permanent upgrades to your base stats and these are somewhat plentiful from job level 35 and up. So this will be insanely handy for Amon - I'm gonna see if I can increase everyones health to 2K+ as you really need that, more MP, more attack/defense if possible and so on.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Also, something to your other point Desmond - turns out that I'd missed a huge gameplay mechanic in EX Hard. As you mentioned, yes leveling all jobs (even the ones you don't use) will give you a huge advantage across of all EX Hard. Turns out that every few levels there are permanent upgrades to your base stats and these are somewhat plentiful from job level 35 and up. So this will be insanely handy for Amon - I'm gonna see if I can increase everyones health to 2K+ as you really need that, more MP, more attack/defense if possible and so on.
Are these only gained in ExHard mode as I stupidly leveled up to 99 in my original post game save. Was hoping to grab the trophy but misread the criteria.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are these only gained in ExHard mode as I stupidly leveled up to 99 in my original post game save. Was hoping to grab the trophy but misread the criteria.
Can't comment on trophy criteria, I've not got it on my EX Hard save but again I did some grinding before starting EX Hard. The rest of the trophies have unlocked though. But to be honest, I'm really only interested in doing the Amon tower rather than get the rest of the trophies (because I'm not doing a hard mode playthrough anytime soon!