• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Having a completely different experience here. Outside of a few story elements I didn't really think much of Judge Eyes at all. Loving this one personally though, writing and all. Kimutaku has nothing on Ichis performance right now.

Alsothe kizuna dialogues are super fun. Really enjoying those

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the script "logic jumps" (at least up to what I've seen through chapter 5) rely on the understanding of ninkyou. That's not a new concept to Yakuza games of course but Ichi takes it to a whole other level likely fueled by his sense of justice like the Hero in Dragon Quest. Moments such as confronting the Seiryuukai head on and the ensuing conversation with the boss there as well as the previous encounter of the Korean mafia that was upcharging for electricity where Ichi comes out of a seemingly perilous situation by simply stating that what they were doing was wrong and they should be ashamed of themselves can be seen as awkward to an outsider, but honestly ninkyou is extremely important to organized crime in Japan. I highly recommend reading up on it if you're not familiar.

That said, I'm still relatively early in the game's story, and it's fully possible that the complaints made in this thread are speaking about other events that I haven't come across. I think thus far the writing has been quite strong, especially when considering it has to introduce not only a brand new cast of characters but also a whole new location and enemies.
Exactly how I feel. The writing kinda feels right from Ichiban's perspective. No way is it bottom 3 in terms of writing or plot, not with 3 being wacky, 4 being fucking stupid in the final chapter, and 5 requiring several playthroughs in order to fully understand the game. Its honestly the most fun I've hand with the game in a while because it dares to be different in terms of gameplay and the main protagonist.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And that's chapter 4 finally done. Didn't see that ending coming. Well, maybe I should because the rest of the chapter has been dark so why change pace! Really enjoyed the chapter, good story and more of the city opened up but I guess its chapter 5 where even more opens up so I look forward to getting back to it shortly (I still have style switching and the completion list to open up after all...)
Hoping the base levels of enemies increase in the next chapter as well, I'm basically 1 hitting everyone outside of the higher level areas at the moment so a rise in difficulty would be appreciated.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just a quick question for those playing it.

Do the returning characters like Kiryu have a decent reason for showing up in the story or do they feel shoehorned in just so you can use them in your team.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Everyone talking about the combat in terms of speed make me sad. What matters is the meaningfulness of encounters over speed. Speed is good but if all battles outside of bosses are boring them being fast isn't going to make playing the game not a drag. It's just going to be less of a drag.

So basically are regular encounters interesting?

Oct 27, 2017

Do the returning characters like Kiryu have a decent reason for showing up in the story or do they feel shoehorned in just so you can use them in your team.
Seems like Kiryu returned only for fan service. He did not need to return. The others have a bigger reason.

For the record, I have not played it but that's the general impression from those that played it.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I can't comment on story, but just a quick correction: none of the returning characters become party members, you can only call them for help via delivery help during a battle, which costs money and has a cooldown time.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Everyone talking about the combat in terms of speed make me sad. What matters is the meaningfulness of encounters over speed. Speed is good but if all battles outside of bosses are boring them being fast isn't going to make playing the game not a drag. It's just going to be less of a drag.

So basically are regular encounters interesting?

There are some "unique" enemies, i won't spoil the surprise, and these are fun when you are not overpowered. In fact there is more variety than i thought there would be, it is more varied than the older Yakuza cookie-cutter encounters as far as i remember but maybe it is just equal...
As for combat variety, rather that in-combat instant switch, you have to chose a job per character outside of combat. This will give access to a different set of stats, and different special abilities. Some of these involve the whole band and they are fun to watch.
most involve a QTE to increase damage, trying to keep player involved.
When an enemy attacks, it has a specific rhythm per attack type , if you press a defense button in time, before it connects, you deflect much of the damage, so you must keep active against strong enemies.
Attacks will trigger also depending on objects presence, and group effects are applied (if more than one enemy get in the way of an attack). Enemies will intercept you if you try to attack one behind them, so situational awareness is essential.
There are status afflictions, buffs and debuffs... so there's a complexity at play, and summons (only for MC so far).

Thrashing enemies is less fun in RPG mode since it is less visceral than when you can move your character around yourself (you don't control movement here)... it is not YOU exterminating the foes, but your puppets on the puppet stage. So, encounters where you are overpowered are no fun at all to me, i'd rather see the enemies flee to avoid me rather than have 5 seconds 1 hit kill affairs.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 5 started, got Saeko unlocked (yay!) and done some more bonding at the bar, so now my characters do follow up attacks sometimes on downed enemies which is super useful. Also played around more in Karaoke (really nice song set so far). Also been doing some side stories including one where a hungry homeless man is holding a crayfish hostage. Only in Yakuza...
Oh, and I've been getting rather good at Outrun, cleared 2/5 routes so far, reckon I should be able to clear route A as well if I give it a couple more tries. While I do wish new arcade games would be included, at least the ones that are frequently used are so replayable to me that I never tire of playing them.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Chapter 5 started, got Saeko unlocked (yay!) and done some more bonding at the bar, so now my characters do follow up attacks sometimes on downed enemies which is super useful. Also played around more in Karaoke (really nice song set so far). Also been doing some side stories including one where a hungry homeless man is holding a crayfish hostage. Only in Yakuza...
Oh, and I've been getting rather good at Outrun, cleared 2/5 routes so far, reckon I should be able to clear route A as well if I give it a couple more tries. While I do wish new arcade games would be included, at least the ones that are frequently used are so replayable to me that I never tire of playing them.

In that sub-story of yours...
The Judge Eyes spoof had me in stitches xD
Too bad there was no cat to be found, it would have been perfect.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Seems like Kiryu returned only for fan service. He did not need to return. The others have a bigger reason.

For the record, I have not played it but that's the general impression from those that played it.
I can't comment on story, but just a quick correction: none of the returning characters become party members, you can only call them for help via delivery help during a battle, which costs money and has a cooldown time.

Thanks to you both.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
In that sub-story of yours...
The Judge Eyes spoof had me in stitches xD
Too bad there was no cat to be found, it would have been perfect.
Yeah, that bit made me smile, somehow asset (or mechanics) reuse in Yakuza games doesn't ever really seem to annoy me. It was a fairly short and easy bit so it was a nice little nod to JE, like the opening chase in the first chapter.

Anyway, played a bit more in chapter 5, enough to unlock the completion list and associated quests and I can see a lot of my time will be spent here. Just a ton of different things to do, and I love stuff like this. Lets see how long it really takes to 100% the game... (some interviews said 100 hours, I highly doubt that as I'm 20 deep so far and nowhere close to finishing anything in the game).

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what chapter I can start leveling up Namba's bond? Finished chapter 4 and his is still locked.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding
the way Kiryu has been hiding. My head-cannon always was him seeking out the Amon clan for help in hiding. And just by going how the Amon boss fight in this game goes, it seems i got that right.
I'd say his presence is justified because of the major event in this game that really can't be ignored by anyone related to the yakuza.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Do you think the reason why they don't include more retro games in Club Sega (esp. considering Sega has a huge pile of IPs) linked to licensing? I mean I love the Yakuza series, but it always feels weird to only have 2-3 games, and not the best either. I feel like they could include much more. Having something like Streets of Rage would fit thematically, maybe even Virtua Cop. Something as simple as ChuChu Rocket! would also work well. It always feels like an afterthought, which is a bit disappointing. I'd take one more quality arcade game rather than batting for instance.

I'm glad people seem to love Y7, I can't wait for the localized version in the West. Seems like a very fun game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, the completion list has destroyed my progress. Spent all tonight doing random missions, and am stumped as to where I get potatoes from (I reckon its something you grow, but can't find the ingredients either...)
Also cleared Shogi quick thanks to mission mode, grabbed the music CDs while I was at it (completion list again) and have a load of Shogi points left over, which is cool. I see a few silver bugs and other stuff there to pick up, which is important for other missions, but might wait just in case certain items in the list are exclusive to Shogi (last thing I want to do is blow all my points and have to play more Shogi!)
Also played a bit of Virtua Fighter 2, it feels brighter than I remember, or that's just Sega Blue Skies (tm). Plays great as always, though I swear "easy" mode isn't quite as easy as the name suggests ;) (oh well, Jeff cheese will get me through it as usual).

Oh, and doing the bonding conversations/missions is super worth while. Aside from actual good side plot, it also unlocks stuff like follow up attacks when you knock enemies over, which is super useful.

Do you think the reason why they don't include more retro games in Club Sega (esp. considering Sega has a huge pile of IPs) linked to licensing? I mean I love the Yakuza series, but it always feels weird to only have 2-3 games, and not the best either. I feel like they could include much more. Having something like Streets of Rage would fit thematically, maybe even Virtua Cop. Something as simple as ChuChu Rocket! would also work well. It always feels like an afterthought, which is a bit disappointing. I'd take one more quality arcade game rather than batting for instance.

I'm glad people seem to love Y7, I can't wait for the localized version in the West. Seems like a very fun game.
Streets of Rage makes 0 sense. Its not an arcade game, so that'd be a weak inclusion (even SoR2 as much as I love it). Chu Chu Rocket isn't an arcade game either.
Plus you have tons of Sega classics re-releases with it SoR in already... Something like Revenge of Death Adder would be far more interesting as that's never been ported. Also, we get way more that 2-3 arcade games these days, it hasn't been that low since Yakuza 5 and that was in 2012. Judge Eyes in 2018 had Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, VF5, Fighting Vipers, Puyo Puyo, Motor Raid and the exclusive Kamuro of the Dead (inspired by HOTD and Yakuza DS). And bearing in mind Motor Raid's only home port is in JE, I'd say that's darn good. Now if you were to suggest that Ichiban should own a console in his hideout.. yeah I'd be on board with that, Sega toyed with that previously in FOTNS where you could play the Japanese Mark III HnK game. A roster of Sega games for Ichi to buy would be nice, but it'd still be the same stuff we were getting in countless classic collections (maybe with M2 ports though, which would at least be nice).

Arcade wise this game has Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Outrun, Super Hang On, Virtua Fighter 2 AND Virtua Fighter 5. Plus these ports are done by M2, and in some cases, are the only current console generation ports of certain games (Motor Raid, Fighting Viperes and VF2/5). Virtua Cop wouldn't be a great choice either, its a lightgun game and since difficulty isn't tweaked you'd have twitchy or slow cursor controls. KOTD worked because it was a game made from the ground up, side stepping the difficulty issue.

But yes, its licensing. Your not getting Daytona, Outrunners/Outrun 2/Turbo Outrun, Sega Rally, Scud Racer, Afterburner etc. when licensing is required. And I'd expect games like Sega Sonic the Hedghog are out as well (control issues) so it'll be whatever they want to grab from the arcade back catalogue that's not tied to a license in some way (which to be fair, still leaves loads). But the arcade in this is not the focus, we got great arcades in 0, 6 and JE but you can tell in this game they wanted to focus side content on several completely different areas, but still included some arcade games for the sake of it. Thankfully Outrun never gets old and neither does VF so I can't complain.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well yeah, the completion list has destroyed my progress. Spent all tonight doing random missions, and am stumped as to where I get potatoes from (I reckon its something you grow, but can't find the ingredients either...)
You can buy either the sapling or already grown potatoes at the very north of the map at one of the small vendor trucks (the one farthest northeast on the map), if you choose to buy the sapling, you can buy fertilizers at the drug store, I think.

Edit: You can buy both fertilizer and sapling at the drug store.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You can buy either the sapling or already grown potatoes at the very north of the map at one of the small vendor trucks (the one farthest northeast on the map), if you choose to buy the sapling, you can buy fertilizers at the drug store, I think.

Edit: You can buy both fertilizer and sapling at the drug store.
Much thanks for confirming this. Its been driving me mad on the location of these things! I'm still not quite strong enough to go to some of those areas yet I think, should be able to go there soon though.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Was in Thailand for vacation last week and I flipped to a Japanese channel. Saw multiple TV ads for this game. Was so delighted to see that, can you imagine a Yakuza commercial in the West?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm in chapter 5, and I'm having an absolute blast. The combat system has really come into its own, I did the second major dungeon, and had a blast with that. The change over to turn based combat was a really positive change. Also, it's nice to see how different Ichiban is in the story, having a crew of friends with him, instead of the stern and quiet Kiryu, who does it all on his own.

The whole game feels like a breadth of fresh air.

The majority of places don't charge the retail price, though.

I usually buy my games on Amazon and they are 1500 to 2000 yen less than their retail price.
Same thing in stores. The SRP is very rarely what games actually cost in stores.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Having a crew with you, just for exploring the city etc. is probably my standout change to this game. No matter what the combat is for the next game I definitely want you to continue having a group of friends with you in the overworld - its such fun to have their funny conversations as you walk past areas of interest, or when eating (there's a good Salad conversation between Ichiban, Adachi and Saeko that cracked me up) and I definitely like how the bar and certain activities just feels more alive when your with friends - Karaoke especially just "feels" more fun despite it not really changing - I like that you have your friends cheering you on, in the past it was mainly just random hostesses.
Combat wise I'm still not fully sure where I stand on it. Its definitely fast paced and gets way better the more I play, and its certainly a breath of fresh air, but I'm not quite sure I'd pick turn based over the glory days of 5/0/Kiwami. I'll see how later fights play out, I still have no style switching after all! What I do like are the slightly tougher fights that really make you think on what move to use - will Namba's fire breath hit multiple enemies? How about using a normal attack with Ichiban so that he grabs that well placed bike? I do like how it does kind of suggest you play the battles at a faster pace - with how enemies get up in real time you can get a great downed attack on floored enemies if your quick (and this damage adds up quick). Also, I really quite like how the camera swoops to different players depending on who's turn it is, looks really slick.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Chapter 3 yesterday and I am now at the begining of the demo gameplay. It's great so far, but therer is a ton of fluff in the dialogue (typical Yakuza game). Namba and Adachi are great so far and Ichi grows on me a ton. He is so different from Kiryu, but I can't explain it, he has that certain flair? His design is also great having played the game a bit more. I think the game will now start to finally open up for me so I can't wait to get off work and play more.

Also lord...the SOUNDTRACK! It's amazing.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Having a crew with you, just for exploring the city etc. is probably my standout change to this game. No matter what the combat is for the next game I definitely want you to continue having a group of friends with you in the overworld - its such fun to have their funny conversations as you walk past areas of interest, or when eating (there's a good Salad conversation between Ichiban, Adachi and Saeko that cracked me up) and I definitely like how the bar and certain activities just feels more alive when your with friends - Karaoke especially just "feels" more fun despite it not really changing - I like that you have your friends cheering you on, in the past it was mainly just random hostesses.
Combat wise I'm still not fully sure where I stand on it. Its definitely fast paced and gets way better the more I play, and its certainly a breath of fresh air, but I'm not quite sure I'd pick turn based over the glory days of 5/0/Kiwami. I'll see how later fights play out, I still have no style switching after all! What I do like are the slightly tougher fights that really make you think on what move to use - will Namba's fire breath hit multiple enemies? How about using a normal attack with Ichiban so that he grabs that well placed bike? I do like how it does kind of suggest you play the battles at a faster pace - with how enemies get up in real time you can get a great downed attack on floored enemies if your quick (and this damage adds up quick). Also, I really quite like how the camera swoops to different players depending on who's turn it is, looks really slick.

You know how to make the wait for the west version even harder xD

The combat description sounds great and imo like a very welcome change !

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Do the party members follow you around constantly or do they just spawn in for combat? Do they comment on things during exploration or side quests?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do the party members follow you around constantly or do they just spawn in for combat? Do they comment on things during exploration or side quests?
They are always with you walking around the city. Only times they might not follow you is into certain small shops where space is limited. Optional dialogue stuff occurs during walking around (a triangle prompt sometimes appears) where they share some pretty funny comments on the city - from bizarre crimes, the characters pasts and other random stuff...
You also get special dialogue if you order certain combos of foods (easier than you'd think since you can just order everything on the menu no problem).
And yeah, they even take part in some side stories as well, they are with you for more than just cutscenes/combat.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
They are always with you walking around the city. Only times they might not follow you is into certain small shops where space is limited. Optional dialogue stuff occurs during walking around (a triangle prompt sometimes appears) where they share some pretty funny comments on the city - from bizarre crimes, the characters pasts and other random stuff...
You also get special dialogue if you order certain combos of foods (easier than you'd think since you can just order everything on the menu no problem).
And yeah, they even take part in some side stories as well, they are with you for more than just cutscenes/combat.

Wow, that sounds awesome. Thanks. Can't wait for the western release, now. Hope we'll get more information soon.

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
Finished Chapter 3 yesterday and I am now at the begining of the demo gameplay. It's great so far, but therer is a ton of fluff in the dialogue (typical Yakuza game). Namba and Adachi are great so far and Ichi grows on me a ton. He is so different from Kiryu, but I can't explain it, he has that certain flair? His design is also great having played the game a bit more. I think the game will now start to finally open up for me so I can't wait to get off work and play more.

Also lord...the SOUNDTRACK! It's amazing.

That's great to hear. Not liking Ichi was my biggest fear.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
Can we swap between party members to control outside of combat?

I've tried googling and watching gameplay, but I can't read Japanese so I don't know if it says so on the menus.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the turn based combat is a nice change for the series? You guys liking it?

I can't wait for the localized version of this.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

I've tried googling and watching gameplay, but I can't read Japanese so I don't know if it says so on the menus.
There's a party menu yeah. I don't have any new party members beyond the base 4 yet but you can certainly swap out party members in the menu's. Only thing you can't do in the menu's is change jobs on the fly, you gotta go to the job center to do that.

So the turn based combat is a nice change for the series? You guys liking it?

I can't wait for the localized version of this.
Its an interesting change but I'm still waiting to see how some of the late game stuff goes before making my final comment on the combat. Its at least got promise but might need a sequel or two to fully fix some issues with the combat. Nothing a Yakuza 2esque sequel can't fix though, the first game had combat issues as well which 2 fixed almost all of.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am still early (chapter 5) but the encounter is already getting a bit annoying...
I feel like they should have made it like typical symbol encounter in JRPGs, but instead the enemies walk in group and have quite big area + they come at you quite fast so it's a bit hard to avoid encounters unless I really try hard.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Another question, I have preorder stuff (Zero Kiryu outfit, Majima Construction goodies), are these accessible in the main game or do I need to complete it first?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Encounters seem pretty easy for me to avoid in most areas. They are very passive for the most part. Only issue are the small alleys. You really can't dodge them there!
Another question, I have preorder stuff (Zero Kiryu outfit, Majima Construction goodies), are these accessible in the main game or do I need to complete it first?
No idea, not had access to them myself.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

You can only control Ichi outside of battles and only using his base costume during the main game, in the post game you can change the out of battle appearance to that of any job you unlocked at the job center.
Encounters seem pretty easy for me to avoid in most areas. They are very passive for the most part. Only issue are the small alleys. You really can't dodge them there!

No idea, not had access to them myself.
Open the Smartphone in the main menu, select DLC and redeem any items you have, works as soon as you get the smartphone.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
aving a crew with you, just for exploring the city etc. is probably my standout change to this game. No matter what the combat is for the next game I definitely want you to continue having a group of friends with you in the overworld - its such fun to have their funny conversations as you walk past areas of interest, or when eating (there's a good Salad conversation between Ichiban, Adachi and Saeko that cracked me up) and I definitely like how the bar and certain activities just feels more alive when your with friends - Karaoke especially just "feels" more fun despite it not really changing - I like that you have your friends cheering you on, in the past it was mainly just random hostesses.

Is this the FFXV of the Yakuza series?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the FFXV of the Yakuza series?
No idea, I never played FFXV. I guess in certain circles though its probably getting the same reception ;)

You can only control Ichi outside of battles and only using his base costume during the main game, in the post game you can change the out of battle appearance to that of any job you unlocked at the job center.

Open the Smartphone in the main menu, select DLC and redeem any items you have, works as soon as you get the smartphone.
Well now I feel silly. I assumed the DLC menu was just for purchasing new DLC. Thanks for the heads up :)

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, so simple. Never clIcked that as I just assumed it was just a link to the PS Store. Thanks

Last edited:

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just finished
Amon
And it just showed perfectly that this game has huge balancing issues, I was at level 75, with only the base jobs maxed out, the only other jobs I ever leveled up were host and street musician for namba, so that he can learn endless love and the only ice magic available outside of specific classes, and it was over way too fast, not a single of my party members got knocked out, and I never got in much trouble either. It was probably one of the most disappointing post game fights I played in any of the RGG games, and I also don't really see a reason to level to max level either, as this was most likely the most challenging fight in the game.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, that seems like a bit of a letdown. I was expecting Persona level Post Game bosses.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Whoa, that seems like a bit of a letdown. I was expecting Persona level Post Game bosses.
After you clear the game you unlock a single post game dungeon. Overall I think that if you compare it with other RPGs, the amount of RPG content is a bit of a letdown, but if you think about it as a RGG game, which simply uses a Turn-based battle system instead of the old one, I think the amount of content offered here is great.
Just for those that are curious a list of all optional dungeons and Battle Challenges outside of the バイト quests and substories:
2 Optional Dungeons, marked as manholes on the map, one is the exact same one you go through the story, the underground dungeon in Yokohama, the other is the dungeon you go through at the beginning in Kamurocho to reach the restaurant, the "optional" part is that there are now new enemies in there and the one in Kamurocho gets a new floor with the equivalent of a DQ Metal Slime fixed encounter. 2 Challenges, marked as crossing swords on the map, one the Battle Arena consisting of 30 Floors, with a level range of 40-60, I think, it has high exp and money payouts, as well as really strong equipment and materials you need for the ultimate weapons, the other a remix of the final dungeon of the game, with bosses returning from the main story, and ending with the Amon fight at level 80.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pity about the combat for the post game boss. Definitely feel like despite base combat against goons being fun, I'm still not convinced about boss fight gameplay, would that be a fair assessment Xypher? Content amount wise it sounds fine, but definitely sounds like they need to retool bosses for a sequel should they stick with RPG styled combat.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
There's a party menu yeah. I don't have any new party members beyond the base 4 yet but you can certainly swap out party members in the menu's. Only thing you can't do in the menu's is change jobs on the fly, you gotta go to the job center to do that.
Thanks for the replies. This is exactly what I was trying to find out.

Hyped for the western release.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another question, looking at the バイトクエスト list, I seem to have met some of the criteria for these. Will any of them retroactively unlock as I have yet to unlock the バイトクエスト option yet, which I'd imagine is through a substory :)

Apologies for all the questions, in work reading JP guides dying to get home and play.