• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I bet it's カリスマの説得 (charismatic persuasion) . This early one makes an enemy drop an item and flee. The higher your 陽気 (cheerfulness) , the higher the chance of success.
I tried it once, it failed, and never tried again. I don't chase items.

There are skills that are increased by your low HP, skills that are increased the more you are overleveled, even one that increases with your company's realestate might xD

Everytime you see "が高いと成功しやすくなる" it means that, increased chance when what precedes is satisfied.
attributes will match what you see on your character sheet, so these are easy to identify.
They are not really worth your dear MPs in my opinion, but everyone has his own tactics :P

Wow, thank you all for the informative posts. I love this damn community so much!

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Thanks for all your impressions folks, definitely excited for this even though I still need to finish 0, 5 and 6. A few years back I was kind of burned out on the Yakuza formula especially when I played 0 was kind of disappointed going back to Kiryu after really enjoying the cast in Yakuza 4 (Akiyama and Tanimura were my favorites). I am now at a point I am ready to jump back into the series.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, finally met Eri and unlocked the main money making side content. But also raised Saeko's rank enough that I equipped the DLC class on her, which is awesome. However, I need to find a better weapon for it to deal more damage outside of its ace MP attacks.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Yeah, and some have restrictions. Most won't work on mechanical enemies,
Ok, finally met Eri and unlocked the main money making side content. But also raised Saeko's rank enough that I equipped the DLC class on her, which is awesome. However, I need to find a better weapon for it to deal more damage outside of its ace MP attacks.

I only found one better weapon for that DLC so far at Chapt. 12 (never tried crafting so there may be some things in crafting), it's owned by
Keanu Reeves
(you'll know when you unlock his store ;) )
be cheerful and generous at the bar, you may unlock a series of substories that ultimately lead to the store.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This business management mini game is amazing fun. I spent the last few hours getting to the grips with it. Rank 51 now and I love the mechanics of it - I love the idea of buying lower quality businesses, building them up and selling them eventually to then buy more expensive stuff and repeat. Plus the idea of loans etc. for a quick shot of cash (but yeah, long term its gonna cost you so make sure you invest it wisely)

I'd actually love a remake of Yakuza 0 in the future (if such a thing were ever to be done) to change Kiyu's management game to this, its absolutely the super designed mini game.

Oh... and the shareholder battles, these are hilarious. A really cool idea executed really well. You need a decent range of leveled up characters can counter the shareholders.

So yeah, still on chapter 5 and still making next to no progress on the plot, too much great side content keeps opening up!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Onto chapter 6, feels like the main bulk of the Yakuza plot starts right here, gang warfare and all. The cutscenes in this chapter have been some of my favourites, goes from some fairly small time incidents to finally escalating and it was pretty damn cool when
we get to see Han Jungi kick some ass with his theme playing. Also really loved the escalation scenes after you clear the dungeon, its just got real!

Now the one thing that still isn't exciting me as much - boss fights don't feel quite as awesome as before, not that they are long (they still keep a fast pace) but I wish we'd have got something more like what Persona 5 had for big damage opportunities - more interactivity and QTEs would have been greatly welcomed to make it all feel more cinematic. Its still fun, but I feel it could be better.
Also, yeah some of these cutscenes have too many words. At the part after Chatper 6's dungeon and things escalating there is
a long chat about the escalation and how Ichiban and co. were played as fools in order to orchestrate a gang war. Makes enough sense, but its explained in a slow way, could really have explained it in about a 1/3 of the dialogue. Plot is still great mind you, just a bit drawn out (like the rest of the series to be fair)

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Now the one thing that still isn't exciting me as much - boss fights don't feel quite as awesome as before, not that they are long (they still keep a fast pace) but I wish we'd have got something more like what Persona 5 had for big damage opportunities - more interactivity and QTEs would have been greatly welcomed to make it all feel more cinematic. Its still fun, but I feel it could be better.

The main Chapter 12 subboss/boss fight is awesome, you know it's going to be, because you get the signature slomo intro with position in respective families and all :P
In fact i would say it's the first proper one.
Took some time, but got my second game over right there :P you need to be VERY prepared and keep on your toes not missing instant defenses, and be ready to revive your lost comrades.
But, yeah, no mid-fight QTEs so far, even though the fight was multi-stage.

I barely managed to sleep last night, that's how awesome that end of chapter 12 was.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I heard 12's fight is a tough one. Definitely preparing for it when I get closer (which will probably take 10s of hours at this rate!)
Story is definitely picking up quick now, so can't wait to play more, even with my little nitpicks here and there its still probably the most fun I've had with the series since 6? (and that was mainly for the engine change). Content wise 7 is excellent, just keeps throwing more stuff at you the more you play. New mini games are all really fun as well.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get around rank 30 or so in the Business minigame. So easy to win each shareholder meeting with the right setup. Need to get some more R rank employees. One of my businesses only gets a profit of less than 10Man each time I don't have a CM running.

That's what I get for buying a Coin Laundry I guess haha

Taking it easy in chapter 7 in the meantime. Had to use my first Summon in the story mode as I went into the battle with 3 party members, including an underleveled Eri. Story forces you into 3 for that particular boss battle, but oddly doesn't ask if you want to swap in a party member, if like me you have 5 (one in standby).

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
3 and a half hours to get to Yokohama. Boo!

I would have been happy with a 10 minute cutscene. I'm enjoying it so far despite the initial drag. First Yakuza game that I might actual spend a decent amount of time with.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
So how grindy is the game? How often are you low on cash for equipment? Is it just like the demo or was that inflated?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So how grindy is the game? How often are you low on cash for equipment? Is it just like the demo or was that inflated?
The business mini game that opens up early makes cash trivial pretty quick. So in that regard you won't be grinding for money. I find the game easy at the moment (over leveled) but it seems things get harder later, so I'll see how grindy it gets at that point.

3 and a half hours to get to Yokohama. Boo!

I would have been happy with a 10 minute cutscene. I'm enjoying it so far despite the initial drag. First Yakuza game that I might actual spend a decent amount of time with.
See, I was glad it takes a while to get there. The game is establishing several new main characters, its not like its Kiryu's wild adventures 7, so I appreciate they take the time to build up Ichiban and Arakawa really well.

Jul 24, 2018
So there is this guy on the public bathroom I need to talk to complete one of those requests by that sentai guy's organization it whatever it is. What do I need to do to progress that one?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So there is this guy on the public bathroom I need to talk to complete one of those requests by that sentai guy's organization it whatever it is. What do I need to do to progress that one?
The same thing the series has had you gather since the beginning of time ;) You need to get tissues, but seemingly specifically you need tissues from the can collecting mini game shop. So talk to the guy there and get some. Keep in mind there are 5-6 quests for the same thing (just different toilets), the first quest has you get 1, but in the end you'll need to give him 10. So grab a whole ton of them (they are cheap items to get anyway) so you don't have to keep coming back.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

after the very first "evolved" activity of the game, you've seen a familiar item. You need that.
There will be more than 1, it's a string of quests, so pack up !

edit: ahaha beaten ;)

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just finished my actual story playthrough and have quite a lot of thoughts about that...

I think it will be interesting to see where the next one goes.

I think I'll also just take a bit of a break from the game and clean up for the platinum in a couple weeks or something... Kind of insane that between my SO and myself we put about 120 hours into the game since release.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Bit off more than I could chew and decided to tackle the Underground Dungeon with a party with levels ranging from 20 to 25. Was actually easy enough until the end when some enemies had to be ran from. Couldn't leave the dungeon until after facing the boss: A GIANT ROOMBA. Took a while but my party slowly but surely somehow beat it.

I need to get a party member with some elemental attacks for sure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Namba has some decent fire attacks. Adachi's riot cop has a lightning attack, and the host class I believe has an ice attack. My plan is to try and have at least one of each in my team for future fights, just to be on the safe side.

Jul 24, 2018
The same thing the series has had you gather since the beginning of time ;) You need to get tissues, but seemingly specifically you need tissues from the can collecting mini game shop. So talk to the guy there and get some. Keep in mind there are 5-6 quests for the same thing (just different toilets), the first quest has you get 1, but in the end you'll need to give him 10. So grab a whole ton of them (they are cheap items to get anyway) so you don't have to keep coming back.
Got it!

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I've not changed from their initial jobs. I feel like I am missing out. I've made Eri into the idol class, but nothing else yet.

Anyone know where to pick up Sega Taiyaki? Is it available in the Ijincho map? I need it for a quest.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The base jobs give you everything you need, you have healing + a strong damage buff as Ichi, Namba has good access to elemental magic including crowd clearing spells, Saeko is also really good at clearing out crowds early, Eri provides a good early option to deal slash damage, late game she is very fast and hits super hard, other characters you get provide debuffs, as well as one, that has access to every damage type (blunt, cut, shoot) as well as elemental damage (lightning), while also having the highest speed, so that character will often times get two turns in between enemy turns.
The only thing you don't get is ice, which you can get on any job by leveling host to 10 (towards the end of the game, this takes one random battle). Two healers are overkill, so having an Idol early to provide healing is useful, but when Ichi has access to heal everyone on the party to full and to revive, the idol will most likely start watching from the sidelines.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its a pity but it does seem like the default classes are a bit too overpowered compared to the unlockables so it does seem a bit pointless to choose them unless you just want to see the other moves... its a pity as they are quite fun to use, though the DLC ones seem ultimately somewhat useless since getting good weapons for them is a hassle. Kinda defeats the purpose of buying them...

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think a large problem is that you just carry over too little between the jobs, two skills and small stat increases are most of the time just not worth the time investment, and by the time you are able to easily level up other jobs, it's like why bother, if you change from a Rank 30 to a Rank 1 Job, it will most likely cut your hp in half, as well as largely cut down your other stats, so you will feel like you're at a huge disadvantage at first and getting the wrong random encounter could one shot you.

They have this really good base, that just needs a ton of polish, for example it's quite obvious that characters during battle are programmed to parkour over specific points, so once I knocked an enemy over the railing of the sidewalk, and the character that got the next turn had to run in the opposite direction for a while just to get to the spot where they could then get over it. Kicking furniture is cool, but most of the time the furniture doesn't even hit, or sometimes even hits a party member (which deals damage to that party member), just because your Adachi decided to move between you and that enemy after you gave the order to attack. Also the warping, if a path is blocked, or if there might be a randomly generated car between you and the enemy, your character will just keep running into the obstacle and then suddenly warp directly to the enemy.

It's honestly a real shame, because it's also very obvious that there is a foundation to have a great and unique battle system, but even the extra month they had this year was just not enough to give it the polish it deserved. I really hope they take their time for the next one, instead of just rushing something new out the door because of the ps5 launch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
RGGS is usually great for sprucing up mechanics so I wouldn't worry about the next RPG sequel (assuming they go down that road). I can't see us getting Yakuza 8 next anyway so if one does happen, it should get a couple of years dev time, hopefully enough to give the game a Yakuza 1 to 2 jump in combat improvements at least. Plus the team are great on iterating existing ideas, so yeah, I think it'll turn out well. I'm more concerned on what Kenzan Kiwami might end up being (I have a feeling that might be the next game they do, and I also have a feeling if it switches engines it will do more harm than good...)

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I absolutely do believe that if they decide to do another RPG, which they honestly should, it will end up being a huge improvement. It was honestly really great to see my SO able to play the game all on her own, only needing some strategy tips from me from time to time, as she doesn't play any action games, but enjoys RPGs. I introduced her to the series with the japanese release of Kiwami and she immediately fell in love with the storytelling and characters, so I ended up replaying the entire series for her, so she could watch the story together with me. It was truly truly special for her and that's why I think she ended up playing so much in so little time as well.

It would be really funny if Kenzan Kiwami ends up being the next one as that would very likely also be a launch window game for the japanese ps5 launch and I still remember that Isshin was also one of the first games I ended up buying for the ps4.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The combat is a good base but could certainly be improved quite a bit, and thankfully the team are great at doing that. Based on what I've played so far I think the thing I really wanna see improved are bosses, which again I think shouldn't be all that hard to improve enough to please me...

And yeah, the samurai games were launch period (well, Kenzan I think was later, but still the first PS3 Yakuza) so I think maybe we get another Samurai spinoff next? I have absolutely no reason to believe this would happen but for some reason I just don't get the feeling that the dev team will go straight into 8 for some reason.

Jul 24, 2018
I still hope we get classic Yakuza, I just don't care for this combat at all. Hope they keep it for Judge Eyes sequel, or maybe do a more DMC based remake of Ishin.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Kenzan Kiwami? That would be great.

I'd love Kurohyou Kiwami personally before that though

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
That's the business minigame completed.

Only thing left in that is to grind out 100億 yen for that trophy.

Apologies for the double post.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope we get classic Yakuza, I just don't care for this combat at all. Hope they keep it for Judge Eyes sequel, or maybe do a more DMC based remake of Ishin.
Why on earth would they remake Ishin, I'm all for making NEW games with brawler combat but continually remaking games that a) aren't old enough to need a remake and b) are perfectly fine the way they are is just a waste of resources. Kenzan might happen because its seen as "old" and it has a few quirks left over from 1&2 (load screens for fights, missable/failable missions that block you from fighting Amon) but even then a decent remaster could more than easily fix those issues. With all the main games being on the PS4 I want to move away from pointless remakes and get more new games made instead, its like asking Capcom to remake RE1 yet again when their efforts would be far better spent on new games in the RE series...

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Just curious how many times Dragon Quest is explicitly referenced in this game? I thought it was wild that he mentions it in the trailer, was wondering if it comes up a lot in the full release.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious how many times Dragon Quest is explicitly referenced in this game? I thought it was wild that he mentions it in the trailer, was wondering if it comes up a lot in the full release.
3 or 4 times so far as of chapter 6. Around once every chapter or so, maybe every other chapter so far. Its definitely been at least 3 times I think.

Jul 24, 2018
Why on earth would they remake Ishin, I'm all for making NEW games with brawler combat but continually remaking games that a) aren't old enough to need a remake and b) are perfectly fine the way they are is just a waste of resources. Kenzan might happen because its seen as "old" and it has a few quirks left over from 1&2 (load screens for fights, missable/failable missions that block you from fighting Amon) but even then a decent remaster could more than easily fix those issues. With all the main games being on the PS4 I want to move away from pointless remakes and get more new games made instead, its like asking Capcom to remake RE1 yet again when their efforts would be far better spent on new games in the RE series...
I actually don't disagree with you on this at all, I'm not really a fan of remakes at all, in fact I'd rather they'd ported the Yakuza 1 and 2 HD Collection with the improved combat over remaking them. But here we are with 2 Remakes of the original two games, and Sega might not be finished with that concept yet. My post was more in regards to how Sega had provided surveys for whether fans wanted remasters/remakes of Kenzan and Ishin. So if they were to hypotheticall revisit these titles with a new coat of paint I'd rather they don't make them into turn based RPGs and instead retain the action aspect which I'd say work better with how Ishin played.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
56 hours already, I'm still in chapter 11. This game is soooooo good. Thanks for Yakuza7, the isolation is not that difficult.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Believe in me. All players who said this disagree d after they played 7. I have seen too much posts about such topic. They made this turn based combat so good that I can't stop trying new classes and skills.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just finished my actual story playthrough and have quite a lot of thoughts about that...

I think it will be interesting to see where the next one goes.

I think I'll also just take a bit of a break from the game and clean up for the platinum in a couple weeks or something... Kind of insane that between my SO and myself we put about 120 hours into the game since release.

I can't imagine if they can bring out an improved next one. But I will be very happy to see it.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, and some have restrictions. Most won't work on mechanical enemies,

I only found one better weapon for that DLC so far at Chapt. 12 (never tried crafting so there may be some things in crafting), it's owned by
Keanu Reeves
(you'll know when you unlock his store ;) )
be cheerful and generous at the bar, you may unlock a series of substories that ultimately lead to the store.

One of the DLC crafting base weapon come from the black market. ( For the girl)
In this game the most powerful weapons all come from crafting, but you have to collect the base weapon from main quest or black market or mini games. It's fun.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loving it so far. Feels like a breath of fresh air. Really hope the Japanese fan base come around to it. This could be their best game yet

Random battles are just like the others. You can avoid them if you watch the map.
And you can get a relic from side quest. With the relic equipped you can skip all street enemies.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
you don't need to buy DLC. But with Employee DLC package(Majima etc) it's more easier to play the business mini game.
I wouldn't imagine it's needed. Unless it makes it easier to make profit on each property?

I cleared the minigame with the same 4/5 people (for the Shareholders meetings), who were either substory characters or just offered to me to hire.

Otherwise, I've just been selling businesses and buying bigger properties whenever I raise enough capital.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 6 was badass... such a nice escalation for the story and its nice that some of the big players are starting to appear and make their move. Some fun combat as well. Hit rank 50 in the business game as well and have been recruiting better and better people. I should be number 1 in no time!

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 6 was badass... such a nice escalation for the story and its nice that some of the big players are starting to appear and make their move. Some fun combat as well. Hit rank 50 in the business game as well and have been recruiting better and better people. I should be number 1 in no time!

Can't wait to get to that lol everyone is hyping that part up. Currently just got out of the chinese hostess club after that pervert arm licking guy tried to harm Saeko >:(

I love Saeko. It's great to see woman get a bigger part in this series (also I love the muda muda muda move).

Also I mostly understand everything so far even though I only learn japanese since last April (well a lot every day, but still) and it's a great exercise reading everything unvoiced. :)

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer they remake Kenzan or atleast change Haruka's role in the story. I would be extra happy if they found a way to get rid of the cutscenes before fights as well.

Ishin however is fine as is. The game runs on the same engine as Yakuza 5/0 so it isn't that old.