• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
so, what is the concensus so far?

do the RPG mechanics give the whole thing a fresh breeze or is it lacking? what about difficulty, is it challenging or still a cakewalk?

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
so, what is the concensus so far?

do the RPG mechanics give the whole thing a fresh breeze or is it lacking? what about difficulty, is it challenging or still a cakewalk?
The RPG mechanics is so good that I wish the next one can be another RPG. It's not difficult if you spend time and money on several side features which will benefit your main quest. You can find a lot of things to do and they all have meanings, not the copy and paste bounties in other games. The most difficult level is the Dragon Kart. Anyway, the detail of each enemy and their skills, and all the classes and elements, they really got together and are blended perfectly.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The RPG mechanics is so good that I wish the next one can be another RPG. It's not difficult if you spend time and money on several side features which will benefit your main quest. You can find a lot of things to do and they all have meanings, not the copy and paste bounties in other games. The most difficult level is the Dragon Kart. Anyway, the detail of each enemy and their skills, and all the classes and elements, they really got together and are blended perfectly.

sounds great, thx for the impression

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
While the turn-based battle system is simple, it also add some QTE buttons for your characters to add damage to enemies and just-guard to reduce damage.

I like that.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
QTE's in the fights are nice, and I definitely like the "just guard" stuff for reduced damage, but what I really enjoy is the character/enemy positioning for best results - what with certain characters having awesome AoE attacks, with other attacks having insane knockback which can knock enemies into roads or other hazards etc. it makes sense why you can't free move characters like in some other RPGs, because it'd make you pretty damn overpowered, and I find it more fun nailing the positioning to trap the enemy just perfectly. Super satisfying.

Congrats :) I'm aiming for both the plat AND 100% in the in game completion list just for the heck of it, seems rather easy compared to the other games in the series.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
QTE's in the fights are nice, and I definitely like the "just guard" stuff for reduced damage, but what I really enjoy is the character/enemy positioning for best results - what with certain characters having awesome AoE attacks, with other attacks having insane knockback which can knock enemies into roads or other hazards etc. it makes sense why you can't free move characters like in some other RPGs, because it'd make you pretty damn overpowered, and I find it more fun nailing the positioning to trap the enemy just perfectly. Super satisfying.

Congrats :) I'm aiming for both the plat AND 100% in the in game completion list just for the heck of it, seems rather easy compared to the other games in the series.
It does look a lot easier doesn't it. I've only noticed that you don't even need to do all the substories? Some are needed I guess (like the dragon kart and sujimon ones I guess).

Just left Yokohama for the first time in the story, which allowed me to complete a lot more of the Baito Quest list. Enemies have also levelled up too.

Have all party members now, just a bit annoyed that Eri just seems to be there, as she never seems to feature into the story, cutscenes exactly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told, Eri VA isn't that great of a voice actress compared to the rest (competition winner vs professional VA though), I love using her, but really don't mind that she's kept just for the business side of stuff in terms of plot.

Glad to hear that enemies leveled up though, they are a bit too weak at the moment in chapter 8!

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Have all party members now, just a bit annoyed that Eri just seems to be there, as she never seems to feature into the story, cutscenes exactly.
That continues all the way through the game.

I guess it's the tradeoff for having a "secret" party member, but I would have enjoyed to see her in some cutscenes at least, especially towards the end of the game, as she was a mainstay in my party due to her really high damage output.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Truth be told, Eri VA isn't that great of a voice actress compared to the rest (competition winner vs professional VA though), I love using her, but really don't mind that she's kept just for the business side of stuff in terms of plot.

Glad to hear that enemies leveled up though, they are a bit too weak at the moment in chapter 8!

That explains why I thought "huh...could be worse, but she doesn't sound like anyone else?"

Edit: Looking that up it seems like she also did the motion capture for Saeko but Saeko is voiced by Sumire Uesaka.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yes. The dragon kart is easier than Judgement's drone. I have unlocked all the 252 kinds of enemies.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 8 down, and lol at the big twists all being in the last trailer. Not that it makes the twists any less epic, I was wondering when the whole
Aoki Ryo/Arakawa Masato thing was gonna pop up, and of course the whole Omi connection. Shit just got real and its gonna only get even more fun!

Loving the game, the latest boss fight was a fun one, was wondering when he'd show up again (great soundtrack as well). Using weak gear for the moment is definitely a fun way to go, makes things less of a pushover.
Plus, gave all the summons I have at the moment a try. Is RGGS/Nagoshi the most cat loving dev out there? There's always some nice cat moments in this game, and I love the cat summon you get (its hilarious). The actor/romance dude summon is also a really funny ice summon. GBH is still my favourite summon though, he's just a badass dude. Good attack as well.

Side content wise, played more Golf. I really do like how golf plays in this Vs Kiwami 2. Same basic content but the control/aiming change is very welcome, makes it very fun to play. Did more Mahjong, and as expected the later tables get harder, otherwise business as usual. Did more VF5, which is basically perfect! Beat Dural as well, which was nice just for the completion mark.
Did a few more tests, UFO catcher (got all toys) and more slots. For slots - buy cheat items. It just makes them more fun as they are less random, much better. As expected they have some great production values but they are still just slot machines :(

Now onto chapter 9!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am having trouble maxing out my cheerful attribute :(
I don't like grinding so much... but i HAVE to see the final relationship scenes... the ones i managed to unlock were all great.
It was a chore using batting center for so long ... just for a fraction of what i need... that's were RPGness sucks for me... i hate that kind of thing. I feel like i lost my time this saturday... and since there's no New Game plus to restart fresh but keeping the characters attributes, i am stuck.
Mental and Cheerful to complete, mental i'll do the little i miss with Mahjong, no big deal... but cheerful... that will be hours upon hours of endless walking to catch the few talks i missed.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Any good guides for the eigyou part? Having a hard time with it. It's fun but I suck

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked the battle arena (located where Osaka's Donki was :( ) , which in hindsight I should've trained my characters in, as I proceeded to get mauled in a double boss battle in Chapter 12. However, I got through on the second try with a lot of Staminan Royals. Had one or two party members (sorry Eri and Chou) dedicate turns to healing Kazuka as I had no Idol jobs in the party at the time. The Kiwami Heat Action you get from completing the Eigyou minigame REALLY saved my ass in that battle, as did the summons. Thank God I completed a lot of the substories.

Will need to take the time to level up but the story is just getting better and better that I'd rather not put it back on the back burner at the moment!

Any good guides for the eigyou part? Having a hard time with it. It's fun but I suck
Which part in particular? There's a really good setup I used for the Shareholders meeting that breezed through all of them.

I don't like grinding so much... but i HAVE to see the final relationship scenes... the ones i managed to unlock were all great.
It was a chore using batting center for so long ... just for a fraction of what i need... that's were RPGness sucks for me... i hate that kind of thing. I feel like i lost my time this saturday... and since there's no New Game plus to restart fresh but keeping the characters attributes, i am stuck.
Mental and Cheerful to complete, mental i'll do the little i miss with Mahjong, no big deal... but cheerful... that will be hours upon hours of endless walking to catch the few talks i missed.

Have you found all the Niginigi Characters? They can raise some attributes for a fee. Also I used a guide for the Bond conversations as I noticed that certain responses give certain attribute points. I need to get a level+ of Cheerful too. :(

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Unlocked the battle arena (located where Osaka's Donki was :( ) , which in hindsight I should've trained my characters in, as I proceeded to get mauled in a double boss battle in Chapter 11. However, I got through on the second try with a lot of Staminan Royals. Had one or two party members (sorry Eri and Chou) dedicate turns to healing Kazuka as I had no Idol jobs in the party at the time. The Kiwami Heat Action you get from completing the Eigyou minigame REALLY saved my ass in that battle, as did the summons. Thank God I completed a lot of the substories.

Will need to take the time to level up but the story is just getting better and better that I'd rather not put it back on the back burner at the moment!

Which part in particular? There's a really good setup I used for the Shareholders meeting that breezed through all of them.

Have you found all the Niginigi Characters? They can raise some attributes for a fee. Also I used a guide for the Bond conversations as I noticed that certain responses give certain attribute points. I need to get a level+ of Cheerful too. :(
Mainly how to make money. I have no idea what happens if I go red and the yami kane option scares me haha. I kinda want to blow through it so if you have a set up that's solid please share!

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Mainly how to make money. I have no idea what happens if I go red and the yami kane option scares me haha. I kinda want to blow through it so if you have a set up that's solid please share!
Red as in your three stats for a building are red or? You can level up staff members.

I borrowed money from the bank at times as the interest is bearable.

I use the guides above along with kamigame.jp and this https://game8.jp/ryu-ga-gotoku7

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Red as in your three stats for a building are red or? You can level up staff members.

I use the guides above along with kamigame.jp
Sorry didn't explain we'll. talking about akaji, debt. I haven't done a lot yet simply because I saw that I had to hit quotas in the first 4 periods so got worried about what happens if I didn't hit them. If nothing happens I'll just keep playing. I'll check the guides out too

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

I had found all of the nigi nigi people but i didn't know you could have them multiple times ! I just checked the one giving all attributes and they were back.

Ah i lost my time for NOTHING yesterday ( i don't care about box checking ;) i just need to see the secret chats)... if i had known i wouldn't have spent so much times writing the homerun charts... dammit dammit dammit

Thanks for the idea !

edit: aaaand done ! maxed out... damn i feel like a foul... i thought they were one offs....

Last edited:

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry didn't explain we'll. talking about akaji, debt. I haven't done a lot yet simply because I saw that I had to hit quotas in the first 4 periods so got worried about what happens if I didn't hit them. If nothing happens I'll just keep playing. I'll check the guides out too
Ah, I understand. I don't think you really need to worry. At the start at least you can get by by just doing well in the shareholders meetings. I only noticed that if I wasnt doing well I started with a lower confidence percentage.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I understand. I don't think you really need to worry. At the start at least you can get by by just doing well in the shareholders meetings. I only noticed that if I wasnt doing well I started with a lower confidence percentage.
Alright cheers. I'm sure I'll end up spending way too much time on this side activity!

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan for my wedding/honeymoon and I'm stoked to pick up this and P5R for when I return to the States.

My Japanese is aight, but it should be good enough to get through them. I assume there are Japanese subtitles as well? Yakuza slang is certainly not my strong point, but as long as I can read what they're saying it will be fine.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I use the guides above along with kamigame.jp and this https://game8.jp/ryu-ga-gotoku7

The company stuff was easy so far took me like 15 minutes to get to place 91, but now Eri is gone and I didn't pay attention after the meeting. I am in chapter 9...is that a block or where do I find her now? ._.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
The company stuff was easy so far took me like 15 minutes to get to place 91, but now Eri is gone and I didn't pay attention after the meeting. I am in chapter 9...is that a block or where do I find her now? ._.
Hmm, that's strange. Never noticed her disappearing. Maybe you need to do a bit of the story? Same thing has happened to me at the moment (chapter 12) where I can't access stuff like Dragon Kart due to the need to advance the story.

I completed the minigame in one sitting almost.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, that's strange. Never noticed her disappearing. Maybe you need to do a bit of the story? Same thing has happened to me at the moment (chapter 12) where I can't access stuff like Dragon Kart due to the need to advance the story.

I completed the minigame in one sitting almost.

Damn she is missing since I finished placing at 91st, did the chapter 8 sequence and more and thought she should appear again, but maybe because someone is missing right now in my party :)

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Damn she is missing since I finished placing at 91st, did the chapter 8 sequence and more and thought she should appear again, but maybe because someone is missing right now in my party :)
What rank is your bond with her? I think she has one initial conversation in Survive Bar

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, one side story caught me particularly off guard, its the one where
Ichiban meets up with the lady he saved years ago in Kamurocho. It plays out like a normal "date" styled side story, you going to the game center, a place to eat etc. and things seemed a little odd what with the NPCs reacting weirdly to Ichiban. Then at the end of the side story it turns out that she was never there...

But on the brighter side, the tour guide side story was far more up beat with a good ending. I also maxed out the modding garage and met a dude that is TOTALLY Lau Ka Long! Never change Yakuza side stories, only they manage to tick the downbeat, upbeat and pure strange quota's per game... Also had to laugh at one of my fights earlier - I summoned the cray fish to attack a gang, they dealt a nice chunk of damage and one that lived through the attack is thrown backwards right into a passing car. Poor bastard!

Not really done much else this morning other than getting more money and ticking off a few more side stories. I'll probably get on with more plot this afternoon.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Final dungeon beaten, dragon kart finished (very easy to beat the dragon cup and final fight with the rumble crasher going at a steady pace) and all substories complete :)
I guess i am done, i have zero care for the checklisting remaining.
It was a very fine entry, i like Ichiban quite a lot.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 9 done, that was a fine chapter (some fantastic side stories as well). I'm doing great on the completion list, I wonder if there's anything you get for doing everything... I'll find out eventually though, I've really been enjoying chipping away at it over the last few chapters...

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Just did enough work to be executive hero, which unlocks a potent weapon for a job, but that's about it. I thought i would get a lil chat with our boss, but nope.
I didn't notice i platinum-ed the thing, so that one is pretty straightforward.
I wonder if i'll replay through the game right away... it sure is tempting.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Blew through the Battle Arena and now have Kasuga sitting at level 50. By the way, have Sega mentioned how they are spelling his name in the localised version. The furigana spells it as Kasuga but i couldve sworn I've seen it spelled as Kazuka too haha.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Today I managed to:

- Found Ichiban Holdings and get to first place, also unlock Eri and have tons of money now and can easily grind more
- Fought a giant vacuum robot which made me cry laughing like holy shit this game
- The Dr. Cox Ichiban Side Story which shadowman16 mentioned :(
- Onomichis awesome comeback and I loved how Hirotaka mentioned Kiryu without saying his name lol

Lots of other stuff and I played the whole day. Game keeps on giving and there are tons of things to do and I am still in Yokohama. This game could take me longer than 0.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
By the way, have Sega mentioned how they are spelling his name in the localised version. The furigana spells it as Kasuga but i couldve sworn I've seen it spelled as Kazuka too haha.
Seems like they are going with ''Kasuga'' according to the official trailer and description on the PlayStation channel.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Start of chapter 10 now. Chapter 10's beginning is famous for two reasons - one is that you get a new party member, and he's damn good. It also manages to win the prestigious "Tamiya" award last seen in Yakuza 3 which involves a loooooooooooooooong exposition into government and character motivations. And thankfully like that bit in Yakuza 3, you at least get a fun fight directly afterwards! I mean, technically the info in this scene is pivitol to the plot, it just goes on for quite a while and the first half isn't startlingly interesting, but it does get more interesting when the more Tojo Clan specific stuff comes up.

Anyway, tackled the first dungeon again as now I had better gear and a new party member I wanted to see just how well I'd do... and I was definitely under leveled before. This time I had a much easier ride, and managed to take out those EXP rich hobos to level up nicely! Boss wasn't too bad as I'd tackled it before, and my orbital laser certainly did the job! This was actually the most fun I had with the combat yet - the levels of my characters meant I had more moves unlocked (and damn good ones as well) but also the games pace was fast, but not so fast that it was no challenge. So yeah, I certainly liked how this feels! I can't wait to unlock more of the higher level optional runs like this, especially when the bosses power up soon.

Just shy of 70 hours at the moment, but it really doesn't feel like that at all, its just going so quick really - the side stories are good, the main story is engaging enough and the rest just gets better the more I play. Its definitely gotten more fun with more moves opening up, its a pity the difficulty wasn't slightly more balanced (it spends too much time being too easy to be honest) but I can't really blame just this game for that, its been a problem with Yakuza since 4 was released.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Wait there is no auto save in the dungeon? I just died in boss battle in chapter 7 dungeon... and I have to pay money to continue and there is no save point before boss? Or did I miss save point since I only saw healing station...
Now I have to start from the beginning of the dungeon..

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait there is no auto save in the dungeon? I just died in boss battle in chapter 7 dungeon... and I have to pay money to continue and there is no save point before boss? Or did I miss save point since I only saw healing station...
Now I have to start from the beginning of the dungeon..

No there was a safe station afair. It was a bit "hidden" or more difficult to find (well it's a side alley before the boss room)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man I just lost an hour thanks to my pro just deciding not to read the disk anymore.

Taking a break for a while after that. Only an hour but man I hate when this shit happens. Kills every feeling of wanting to play it again

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, think its about time to get to chapter 10s plot. Took a few hours out to hit up some side stuff, got 14/21 tests cleared and have chipping away nicely at the Batting and Golfing stuff (really can't state enough how much better Golfing feels compared to Kiwami 2) and got some more modding done for better weapons down the line. Also got a couple more really cool summons connected to the
"murder" side story with the Jason-eque character (really funny twist on that one), and also "totally not Lau Ka Long" joins my summon list

Also cleared a few of the "beat X enemy" completion stuff.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was more of a courtesy spoiler anyway, what with those details already revealed pre release, but sorted. Thanks for the heads up!

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Christ, there's a fight and subsequent cutscene that are absolutely bananas in Chapter 14.

Only one more chapter now! :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Christ, there's a fight and subsequent cutscene that are absolutely bananas in Chapter 14.

Only one more chapter now! :)
Sounds good! I should have chapter 10 done tomorrow, can't wait to see how things amp up for the next few chapters!

Meanwhile, doing a bonding event for a new party member and I suddenly realise that Yakuza 2 is like 16 or so years old now! How time flies, I can still remember when I was hoping for an English release of that game and its cool seeing those events mentioned through these characters.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Ah, congrats :P
You just experienced my favorite scene of the game.

Don't forget to exchange your crests ! (i'm writing that because i didn't unlock the crest exchange until post-game because i didn't visit that "hidden" place at the extreme north east, completely forgot about the meeting point)... so i missed the -25% MP cost item and 2(!!!) delivery helps. 50crests a pop for deliveries and 25 iirc for the item.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up on the MP item, that sounds insanely useful, might go nab that now... I knew about the delivery helpers though, I've got around 80 crests so far, so assuming the other cities have a few to find I'll be fine.