• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man I did not notice that at all! Think I'll get those launchers to help out. Considering the game isn't all that hard it hits you with a brick wall occasionally lol

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Business mini game is really easy. Cat quest is started by finding a cat (they meow like in past games if they are nearby) I think. Or I think it was visiting Bait Heros office in the north which starts it.

The cat quest was started at the office afaik...
but ... it's not a trap ! baito as in harubaito (from the german for job, which is a part time job in japanese) ;)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Finally did it! Thanks for all the advice, assuming the rest of the game is a cakewalk (hopefully)

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The cat quest was started at the office afaik...
but ... it's not a trap ! baito as in harubaito (from the german for job, which is a part time job in japanese) ;)

I seriously just forgot the O :) Thanks

Finally did it! Thanks for all the advice, assuming the rest of the game is a cakewalk (hopefully)

You are in for a ride (no it doesn't get easier with the final boss :P). Final boss was the second time I died because of a instant ko attack which got Ichi.

Last edited:

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
See, I was thinking of doing this but technically wouldn't that mean he'd be more likely to attack Ichiban, which in turn may make it harder as if he's KO'ed its game over?
I don't think he can beat Ichiban down in a single turn. And you have technically two support members who won't get critiacl damages so they can devote themselves to heal and buff the teammates.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
So uh what level do I have to be to beat the chapter 14 boss...

Kiryu? Currently level 55 and he's smashing my face in. Already finished the arena a few times to level up but can't seem to make any head way with him. They really smashed the difficulty up with these legend bosses. Majima was a pain too
I wished I'd know this before I beat the game but this boss is weak to Ice so I recommend training one of the guys in the host job until they learn Spread Ice (as someone like Zhao will keep that move even if you change jobs) or you could use Saeko as a hostess. Any ice attack will do.

edit: See youve done it already!

For the final dungeon it's a lot easier

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of actually continuing on with the story tonight (still on chapter 12...) I did more side stuff. But on the bright side I can't keep doing this for much longer as I'm basically done with the completion list, aside from Kamuro's Mahjong tables. After a bad run of luck at Mahjong yesterday I cleaned up one of the harder tables in Ijincho rather handily tonight, felt damn good.

Also been looking at modding related stuff, got a decent weapon for Ichiban (Hero) and Saeko (Idol) all leveled up but the riot shield max level requires a shield that is seemingly only available (at the moment) from the Shogi rewards shop. So guess that ain't getting maxed out! I'll do another run at the arena before hitting chapter 14 for some extra materials, but things are going pretty great at the moment with weapons and armor. Just really missing Zhao's best base weapon for his Mafia class, not sure where you purchase that from yet...

Apr 21, 2018

The new Sega-Atlus is in great shape continously being in the top 3 metacritic publisher ranking since 2015. :)

Some keep saying Sega is dead because some talents left, but let's be realistic and look at those talents(same site, same reviewer)

Shenmue 3 = 5/10 (Sega Japan OFF/ex talents ON)
VS
Yakuza 7 = 9/10 (Sega Japan ON/ ex talents OFF)

Even if I think Shenmue 3 is underrated, Sega and Yakuza serie managed to improve and to evolve years after years.(now this Yakuza 7 is very different from Shenmue serie)
Yu Suzuki still has good ideas but i really hope he'll team up with Sega for Shenmue 4.

Last edited:

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Instead of actually continuing on with the story tonight (still on chapter 12...) I did more side stuff. But on the bright side I can't keep doing this for much longer as I'm basically done with the completion list, aside from Kamuro's Mahjong tables. After a bad run of luck at Mahjong yesterday I cleaned up one of the harder tables in Ijincho rather handily tonight, felt damn good.

Also been looking at modding related stuff, got a decent weapon for Ichiban (Hero) and Saeko (Idol) all leveled up but the riot shield max level requires a shield that is seemingly only available (at the moment) from the Shogi rewards shop. So guess that ain't getting maxed out! I'll do another run at the arena before hitting chapter 14 for some extra materials, but things are going pretty great at the moment with weapons and armor. Just really missing Zhao's best base weapon for his Mafia class, not sure where you purchase that from yet...
You can purchase all the last materials for the most powerful weapons for each job at Le Marche Kamurocho at 10,000,000 yen

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished. Oh man I don't know if it's me getting older but I teared up pretty bad.

Nakayas performance as Ichi is outstanding. I absolutely love him.

I've been playing this series since the first and this is definitely my favourite. I love the brawler gameplay but man this game has renewed my love for this series in so many ways. Can't wait to dig more into the side stuff

I really hope they stay on this path.
Now if you excuse me I need to get some tissues

Apr 21, 2018
Finally finished. Oh man I don't know if it's me getting older but I teared up pretty bad.

I've been playing this series since the first and this is definitely my favourite. I love the brawler gameplay but man this game has renewed my love for this series in so many ways. Can't wait to dig more into the side stuff

It's nice to see players and journalists have almost the same opinion.
Looking forward for the western release :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really should try focusing on finishing the story maybe this next week... I've been so absorbed into the game world that I barely made any story progression this past week. Having an absolute blast with the game though, its really something when I can put 25+ hours into the game this late into the story and only do one (excellent) boss fight in that time!

Also, is it just me or does it feel like the other two cities aside from Ijincho are used as window dressing? Not in a bad way, but all the focus of activity (for the completion list etc.) is in Ijincho while the other cities are just used for the plot because they have the assets. I mean, for chapter 12 you kinda wonder if they really needed to
need to include all of Sotenbori, or just deal with it in cutscenes and taxi trips. But I love that they took Kiwami 2's map (and amazing battle music) and just plopped it in the game because they can. Plus some of the optional conversations you get while exploring are hilarious, easily worth the inclusion of the map.

Kinda makes me wonder which city they'll include in the next game...

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Since the game series seem to follow my steps, next stop is back to Kyoto with a mandatory stop to Nara to pet the deers.
We could go back to the Teradaya Inn :P

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Since the game series seem to follow my steps, next stop is back to Kyoto with a mandatory stop to Nara to pet the deers.
We could go back to the Teradaya Inn :P
I'm surprised none of the Kyoto assets from Ishin were reused, even if just for a short story section.

Kobe would be nice, they could reuse Yokohama Chinatown assets haha

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
Thanks now to progress the story I gotta find me a way to make lots of money and level up quick, BTW when do I get to change jobs, I have hero Ichiban and the 3 party on there default job.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Man... I can't wait for the western launch :D

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks now to progress the story I gotta find me a way to make lots of money and level up quick, BTW when do I get to change jobs, I have hero Ichiban and the 3 party on there default job.
Job change comes later in chapter 5 I think. Money will be no issue when you unlock the business mini game (which again, will arrive soon) and doing it gives you basically unlimited cash, and one of the best party members in the entire game. So really just keep playing!

Class changes though are optional. The host class has a decent Ice move but that's about it. I use most default classes for characters because they rock, aside from Adachi who I use the Riot Cop class with (because I really like it). I swapped classes a few times through the story to around chapter 10 just because the game difficulty is low, so I was just playing around with all the different moves and classes you get.

EXP wise, best thing to do early on, especially when you recruit a gun wielding party member is to replay the Ijincho dungeon ad attack the hobo dudes that only take 1 damage per hit (gun hits for several hits) as they give you tons of XP. Easiest way to level up fast until you get the arena.

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
Job change comes later in chapter 5 I think. Money will be no issue when you unlock the business mini game (which again, will arrive soon) and doing it gives you basically unlimited cash, and one of the best party members in the entire game. So really just keep playing!

Class changes though are optional. The host class has a decent Ice move but that's about it. I use most default classes for characters because they rock, aside from Adachi who I use the Riot Cop class with (because I really like it). I swapped classes a few times through the story to around chapter 10 just because the game difficulty is low, so I was just playing around with all the different moves and classes you get.

EXP wise, best thing to do early on, especially when you recruit a gun wielding party member is to replay the Ijincho dungeon ad attack the hobo dudes that only take 1 damage per hit (gun hits for several hits) as they give you tons of XP. Easiest way to level up fast until you get the arena.
Got you ill keep on it who is this party member you speak of?!.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Got you ill keep on it who is this party member you speak of?!.
Eri joins via the business mini game. She rocks. She has a move she learns early on that has an insane area of attack, ko'ing groups of enemies with ease. Han Jungi joins later, and has some gun moves that are super useful when it comes to taking out certain enemies. A team of Ichiban (Hero), Han, Eri and 4th (your choice, there's really no bad option) and you can really deal some serious damage to anyone stupid enough to get in your way!

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really got to jump in here again and just comment on how Nakaya slays. I've had all day to go through the last couple of chapters in my head and he just shows such a variety of emotion.

The way he's just pleading and crying for Waka to just realise how special he was. How after everything he still loves him and he's always going to be there for him. I absolutely hated Waka for most the game but the performance at the end made me really feel how Ichi felt. Man like I said maybe I'm just getting old but even typing this out is making my eyes water. Perfect performance for me.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I really got to jump in here again and just comment on how Nakaya slays. I've had all day to go through the last couple of chapters in my head and he just shows such a variety of emotion.

The way he's just pleading and crying for Waka to just realise how special he was. How after everything he still loves him and he's always going to be there for him. I absolutely hated Waka for most the game but the performance at the end made me really feel how Ichi felt. Man like I said maybe I'm just getting old but even typing this out is making my eyes water. Perfect performance for me.
Nishikiyama and Ichiban. Two brilliant performances from Nakaya.

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
Eri joins via the business mini game. She rocks. She has a move she learns early on that has an insane area of attack, ko'ing groups of enemies with ease. Han Jungi joins later, and has some gun moves that are super useful when it comes to taking out certain enemies. A team of Ichiban (Hero), Han, Eri and 4th (your choice, there's really no bad option) and you can really deal some serious damage to anyone stupid enough to get in your way!
I always wanted Korean Virgil on my party so can't wait to get him he seems great I managed to snag some summons will try to get more.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted Korean Virgil on my party so can't wait to get him he seems great I managed to snag some summons will try to get more.
Summons are ace in the game. Just keep doing side stories and you'll get more. They are super helpful in later fights as well, one of my favourite parts of the game for sure!

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Nakaya is so good as Ichiban that it makes me dread the potential English DUB.

Will definitely skip out on watching let's play of streamers who play the DUB. Can't stand the idea of hearing Ichiban, Kiryu and Majima in DUB.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for a hilarious dub. But yeah, much like Judgment I can't imagine playing the game on dub with how damn perfect the Japanese VA's are.

Anyway, not made any progress tonight as I didn't have all that much time, just a bit of Space Harrier, Mahjong (unlocked the high roller table!), some Dragon Kart and used the
Saejima and Majima summons - which I love. The fact that the second you summon them the music switches to their themes just makes the entire thing even better somehow! I'd use the summons all the darn time if they didn't cost 1mil to use each time!

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that bothers me so far in terms of story/character is the cheesy "nakama" stuff Ichiban keeps banging on about with other characters, especially when "that" music kicks in.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
It is a shame that there are jobs that are only available as paid DLC. That demon job looks real cool.

Also Majima's UR card is hilarious. Of course he is good at running cabaret clubs and his bio mentions his construction company lol.

Jul 24, 2018
Business mini game is really easy. Cat quest is started by finding a cat (they meow like in past games if they are nearby) I think. Or I think it was visiting Bait Heros office in the north which starts it.

For Business mini game for simple explaination:

You can buy two business at first, always buy the ones that have the most Yen symboles on them
At first you can just fill them with employees to get those scales full and not upgrade anything
Then you do money collecting runs, 4 in a row and then you start the share holding meeting
Winning the meetings is easy, your employee set up should be at least one red, one blue and one green employee with another employee having a big persuade stat to attack them when they have their guard down
It then goes like this: Someone will stand up and start to complain, you press X to select them and immediately chose the corresponding employee that will immediately break their 3 shield guard (it's the Fire Emblem weak point system just with colors, it even shows you who is weak against their argument)
Shield is broken and then you use your strongest persuade employee and just attack them till they sit down
Repeat
Every second gives you another attack point which you see mid down below, attack with one of your employees will cost points
After a few seconds you can also use apologize skills to let every sharehold person sit down and calm down for a few seconds

If you defeat everyone you win and get money according to your rank and shareholder % you managed to get, at 100% it's 3x the money you would get otherwise

After your first meeting and winning you can buy an additional building also get newer employees in the mean time to chose. Also new building listings will appear (take the building with the highest Yen stat). You can now start upgrading building in the options.
First upgrade stat is always for making more money with the building (which also increases the stats you need to meet with your employees), the other stats are for improving the scales and making it easier to stay blue and not get red

Do your 4 session run again, always stay cautious that your employees are happy (go to employees, manage employees, press square and then just accept to make everyone go happy again for a bit of money). Here you can also upgrade employees level and break their limits for future buildings and future shareholder meetings to give them more and better stats.

It's really easy and I never got below 100% acceptance rate or had any trouble at all.

Most importantely: Sometimes you are able to do CM (which are very funny) which will give you double the money for 3 or 4 runs. :) it pays off immediately. If you can manage 4 buildings or more you can start to look at selling older buildings and get better ones to reach the top more easily and quicker. Otherwise it's just a grind with pressing R2 :)
Don't really get any of this, lol. But which one is a persuasive stat?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even really need to understand the stats, at least, I didn't look into what it that much. Just get better characters and use them against better properties that you purchase. Its really easy to play, whether you can read Japanese or not.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Had a few minutes tonight so managed to get some more Mahjong time in. Cleared the high roller table... at least I thought I did. Turns out I saved next to the wrong table and ended up winning again on the wrong table. Oops. Took a few more tries to beat the toughest table, but thankfully despite some tricky AI in places I was actually getting good hands, so eventually I managed to win.
And that's it... now I really gotta progress with the story this week, both because its the only thing left to do, and I really want to see where this plot goes!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Fair enough, I got another question. Where would I find Yokohama's Pawn shop to sell all the silver plates.

It's on your map with a weapons' shop icon, 弁天屋(質屋) , it is close to the double-decker car park zone, where you do your recycling jobs, but it will only open after you have completed a substory. near trash bags that are in the opposite side of the street in front of the workshop. The substrory is after visiting hello work at chapter 3.

Jul 24, 2018
It's on your map with a weapons' shop icon, 弁天屋(質屋) , it is close to the double-decker car park zone, where you do your recycling jobs, but it will only open after you have completed a substory. near trash bags that are in the opposite side of the street in front of the workshop. The substrory is after visiting hello work at chapter 3.
Got it, thanks. Just assumed it was a regular shop like previous games.

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
I am guessing I am on the last chapter, and I've logged about 75 hours in the game so far.

I've really enjoyed the main story as well as the drinking session stories with each party member. The optional dialogues you get walking through the town and at restaurants have been great as well. It reminds me of Dragon Age in a way, The party members are fantastic and I can't decide which one I like best.

It is not really a complaint but the level pacing seemed a bit strange about chapter 12. I couldn't beat the bosses then on the first try so I just grinded out the battle arena. I did that for about 7 levels and then lost in the battle again and decided to grind some more since I forgot to deposit my money and didn't want lose a bunch to revive. In the end I was about 15 levels higher than when I started the Chapter just by grinding and finishing the battle arena. I enjoyed it, so I am not complaining but it was a bit strange considering none of the other bosses were that much higher level previously (though I understand why those bosses had to be tough).

All in all, it has been much better than I expected and one of the better games in the series.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing I am on the last chapter, and I've logged about 75 hours in the game so far.

I've really enjoyed the main story as well as the drinking session stories with each party member. The optional dialogues you get walking through the town and at restaurants have been great as well. It reminds me of Dragon Age in a way, The party members are fantastic and I can't decide which one I like best.

It is not really a complaint but the level pacing seemed a bit strange about chapter 12. I couldn't beat the bosses then on the first try so I just grinded out the battle arena. I did that for about 7 levels and then lost in the battle again and decided to grind some more since I forgot to deposit my money and didn't want lose a bunch to revive. In the end I was about 15 levels higher than when I started the Chapter just by grinding and finishing the battle arena. I enjoyed it, so I am not complaining but it was a bit strange considering none of the other bosses were that much higher level previously (though I understand why those bosses had to be tough).

All in all, it has been much better than I expected and one of the better games in the series.
Well for those particular bosses I think it makes sense they are more powerful than previous ones all things considered, but i terms of gameplay difficulty/balance is definitely out of whack depending on how you play the game. For a comparison I tackled that point at around the 100 hour mark, and between being prepared for the fight and having done lots of side content and modding so I was pretty high leveled, I walked the fight with no problems. I honestly expected it to be harder based on what I'd read previously. At this point though I do need to do a few more arena runs for ultimate weapon mods... which should prepare me for the last couple of chapter bosses especially.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Yeah thematically, these HAD to kick ass... i sure wouldn't have wanted to wide the floor with them first try.
No i had to work for it, got many new items, empty the arena and resort to the Rocket Launcher (that's cheating xD) and revival medicine in order to pass that wall.
It was perfect for me. (at first i thought i made a path mistake and encountered a secret boss because of the difficulty spike xD )

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really think the only weak points for this game are dragon cart and a lot of the hero tasks. Not really sure what's with dragon cart, it's fine but it's brain dead easy, probably the only part of the game that I would call disappointing. Hero tasks are ok but it just feels like busy work half the time. I'm going for the platinum so maybe that's why I'm finding it a little boring.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah there are definitely some balance issues on the whole that I think will be worked out/improved in whatever game comes next (assuming they stick with the RPG formula), but for a first crack at an RPG I think they did an incredible job. I would've liked more of a reason to change jobs than just the two perma-skills -- one thing they could've done is give you permanent stat boosts at rank 10, 20, 30 to incentivize switching; I basically kept the default jobs for everyone the entire game aside from Kasuga (→Yuusha) and Saeko (→Idol). Now that I've maxed them all out, I started switching jobs on my backup cast while farming Hagure Homeless dudes in one of the bonus dungeons but I'm not confident enough to change jobs on my main party because of the massive stat drops. It's definitely imbalanced and something they can/should fix next time around. But yeah, overall, I'm SUPER impressed with what they managed to pull off with this game, especially given it's only been three years since Yakuza 6 / two years since Kiwami 2 (IDK exactly which team did this but it obviously can't be the same team as Judge Eyes, so I assume it's been in dev for 2 or at most 3 years). RGG Studio is just insanely talented.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that chapter 12 boss had some of the most ridiculous difficulty spike I have seen in a while..

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really think the only weak points for this game are dragon cart and a lot of the hero tasks. Not really sure what's with dragon cart, it's fine but it's brain dead easy, probably the only part of the game that I would call disappointing. Hero tasks are ok but it just feels like busy work half the time. I'm going for the platinum so maybe that's why I'm finding it a little boring.
Dragon Kart is great fun for me in time trial mode, most of my time is spent in that mode, shaving a few seconds off each time. The races are definitely way too easy, and I don't like the fog based side story races at all because its really hard to gauge drifting when I can't see the road ahead of me until its almost too late.

The Byte Hero stuff is best left in the background, I've done 80%+ of each mainly just by playing the rest of the game. I find the tick off almost all of it as I go, aside from a few of the rescue fights against enemies that seem to spawn rarely. Thankfully its basically optional so unless your a completionist like me there's no need to tackle most of it.