• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Kart is great fun for me in time trial mode, most of my time is spent in that mode, shaving a few seconds off each time. The races are definitely way too easy, and I don't like the fog based side story races at all because its really hard to gauge drifting when I can't see the road ahead of me until its almost too late.

The Byte Hero stuff is best left in the background, I've done 80%+ of each mainly just by playing the rest of the game. I find the tick off almost all of it as I go, aside from a few of the rescue fights against enemies that seem to spawn rarely. Thankfully its basically optional so unless your a completionist like me there's no need to tackle most of it.
Yeah the side quests for dragon cart kinda blow. More modifiers would have been good. Have yet to try time trials though. I'm mainly more annoyed about the jump to 300 stars for the last rank with the baito hero stuff. Still otherwise minor flaws in a fantastic game

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the side quests for dragon cart kinda blow. More modifiers would have been good. Have yet to try time trials though. I'm mainly more annoyed about the jump to 300 stars for the last rank with the baito hero stuff. Still otherwise minor flaws in a fantastic game
The 300 star requirement for me was easy, thanks to me just naturally doing everything in the game! I've found its best to just focus on the support missions, they give lots of stars. The rescue stuff has paltry payouts (like, 1-2 stars) and getting some of the enemies to spawn isn't worth the hassle. I've only got around 20? odd of them to go now to be totally done with the rescue category, but its definitely not worth doing if your just going for the trophies.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The 300 star requirement for me was easy, thanks to me just naturally doing everything in the game! I've found its best to just focus on the support missions, they give lots of stars. The rescue stuff has paltry payouts (like, 1-2 stars) and getting some of the enemies to spawn isn't worth the hassle. I've only got around 20? odd of them to go now to be totally done with the rescue category, but its definitely not worth doing if your just going for the trophies.

Support stuff includes the bug hunting right? Any you'd recommend to focus on? I got about 60 starts left to go and I've already finished up the kappa and cat quests

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Support stuff includes the bug hunting right? Any you'd recommend to focus on? I got about 60 starts left to go and I've already finished up the kappa and cat quests
Bug hunting I completed by doing the following:
Normal bugs can be most easily obtained in the park on the North East end of the map where Dragon Kart is. If your still short a few normal bugs, the can collecting mini game shop is a great source for buying bugs.

For Silver bugs, you can use a couple of shops (like Shogi) to trade points for them, but in the first replayable dungeon (the one in Ijincho) has a room/floor near the end of the dungeon that has several silver bugs that respawn each time to enter the dungeon.

For gold bugs the best way of getting them is via the arena, they are prizes in the lower levels. I got all the bugs I needed in one run from there. I do need to re-run the arena though because I really need more bugs for modding upgrades.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Bug hunting I completed by doing the following:
Normal bugs can be most easily obtained in the park on the North East end of the map where Dragon Kart is. If your still short a few normal bugs, the can collecting mini game shop is a great source for buying bugs.

For Silver bugs, you can use a couple of shops (like Shogi) to trade points for them, but in the first replayable dungeon (the one in Ijincho) has a room/floor near the end of the dungeon that has several silver bugs that respawn each time to enter the dungeon.

For gold bugs the best way of getting them is via the arena, they are prizes in the lower levels. I got all the bugs I needed in one run from there. I do need to re-run the arena though because I really need more bugs for modding upgrades.

Cheers. Assuming I have the gold bugs ready as I've run through the arena more times than I can remember! Just got to farm from the park I guess!

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that chapter 12 boss battle took me about 45 minutes to beat lol. I should have grinded out more before going to the battle....
Now I should grind a bit more before going to the next story part.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Damn that chapter 12 boss battle took me about 45 minutes to beat lol. I should have grinded out more before going to the battle....
Now I should grind a bit more before going to the next story part.
If you didn't have 2 rocket launchers, know that it would have cut your battle time tremendously...
If you had those... damn it took longer for you than it did for me... xD I remember exhausting all the full HP full MP recovery medicines i had and 3 or 4 half HP ones... it was a beast of a battle.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't have 2 rocket launchers, know that it would have cut your battle time tremendously...
If you had those... damn it took longer for you than it did for me... xD I remember exhausting all the full HP full MP recovery medicines i had and 3 or 4 half HP ones... it was a beast of a battle.
I didn't even know there were rocket launchers?
This was the first battle in my entire playthrough until now where I actually used items in battle.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I didn't even know there were rocket launchers?
This was the first battle in my entire playthrough until now where I actually used items in battle.

They are available in one of the local weapons dealer :P 2K damage a pop iirc, at that stage that's what helped me finish half the boss battle before something terrible would happen to me.
They gradually lose interest the more you gain damage stats, but at that stage, i think i might not have made it out alive without them. One specific attack of the boss fight was insta-killing my party except ICHIBAN being left alive with ... 200 health ? so at the mercy of a missed instant guard. Once that "half of the battle" was passed, the damage dealt was more manageable, even though 2 of my party members frequently got killed when i failed insta guard (i am pretty bad at that upon certain attacks, i hate QTEs)

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So uh the final dungeon was super easy. I was quite surprised!

Amon went down in a few minutes. Was more challenging getting to him honestly lol

Got the platinum now, had such a great time with it. Really can't wait until the next one! Fingers crossed for more Ichi!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did another arena run, almost got the best weapons for most characters. Hit a snag on Eri's though as I need to find another weapon for her for the final mod, and I've no idea where I get it from :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's chapter 12 done. I do kinda wish Sega were not so forthcoming showing off all the stuff in this chapter before hand, as its probably the most hype chapter in the game so far but I knew of all the big twists before hand thanks to pre release vids etc. Well, except the very end of the chapter, that one came outta nowhere!
Its an amazing chapter though, its more my fault for reading and watching every shred of details. Cannot wait to jump into chapter 13 shortly, I just have to see where the heck things go next.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Did another arena run, almost got the best weapons for most characters. Hit a snag on Eri's though as I need to find another weapon for her for the final mod, and I've no idea where I get it from :(
That's バイトヒーロー.com's bonus item. Based on your posts, you do have it already. Visit バイトヒーロー.com HQ and talk to the boss in case you haven't claimed yours yet. Or you have already sold it lemarchelemarche

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's バイトヒーロー.com's bonus item. Based on your posts, you do have it already. Visit バイトヒーロー.com HQ and talk to the boss in case you haven't claimed yours yet. Or you have already sold it lemarchelemarche
Oh really? I haven't visited the office for ages, will drop by. Thanks for the heads up! I've been purposely not selling anything because of this exact eventuality!

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As most players here are now far enough in the game to know, that there are other locations besides Yokohama, I do have to vent my biggest disappointment with the game:

The other locations feel tacked on. There are no substories, no locker keys to collect, no restaurant completion list (even though these restaurants also have food combos) and no unique minigame rewards. It's extra disappointing, because there are party chat oportunities but it still doesn't quite make them feel as "alive" as they should be. Especially when Osaka becomes such a central point in the story.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the other two cities are mainly there because they could. From its time in chapter 12 - there really was no actual reason that you needed to explore Sotenbori plot wise, it could have been done completely in cutscenes, but they added it anyway because they had the assets lying around.
Only unique thing there is the arena, which to be fair could be added into Ijincho if they wanted. I like the party chat stuff though in the city, very entertaining. I assume the same can basically be said for Kamurocho... its got the legacy mini games there, but nothing new. Not bothered about the lack of locker keys though, Tojo emblems already serve that purpose, as go safes and other hidden items for modding and are reason enough for me to explore them.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I guess you're right about that, it could also simply be that for so long I was thinking that it's unbelievable just how much stuff there is to do in Kamurocho, but after spending so much time in Ijincho, Kamurocho just feels unexpectedly small for the first time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ijincho is wonderful to just walk around - I love how they have several different districts each with their own feel, and amount of foot traffic. For the first time we get a much larger city compared to the past games both in terms of map size, and variety. I do wonder what they'll do for the next game - keep Ijincho and build on it? (adding more content), maybe introduce a new second city, or maybe stick with Kamurocho as the second city but build on that size wise? I'm very intrigued to see just what they do for 8, in terms of plot and content directions.

Hopefully the arcade gets a refresh. I love the games included now, but I'd love a few more new games as well - ideally I'd like VF5 to stay and everything else be culled for sequels/new games - Space Harrier cut for Planet Harriers, Outrun cut for... do they have a racer without licensing? The rest cut for Spikeout, Super Monkey Ball and maybe Sega Sonic the Hedgehog (pending them figuring out how the heck to get that one emulated properly with the trackball controls)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 13 done. Two observations:
I had a feeling (ok, I think I read ahead a bit) and thought Arakawa would be Ichiban's father. But I'd assumed he'd just slept around or something and both him and Masato were his kids. Where in, if Sawashiro is correct, he got dealt a terrible hand, and was basically switched with Waka by accident (well... at least his Mom was smart enough to let her boss know as well so he didn't die in that coin locker...
Its a pretty crazy (in a good way) twist. The whole Aoki Ryo Vs Ichiban plot is really getting good, I mean - with Arakawa dead and Aoki gunning for anyone that'd get in his way, it was already good, but this twist somehow makes it even better. Plus I really didn't expect him to dispose of Sawashiro so coldly...

I guess you could draw parallels to Jingu and Haruka in terms of political power and loose ends, but honestly, I like this plot more, guess it helps that Ryo isn't a late game character that sorta just pops up (though hinted at earlier) but rather a character that gets more screentime throughout most of the game.

Also, its nice that Sawashiro got way more fleshed out over his Online version. Because from what I remember he was basically just an ultra strong, calculating character who was loyal to Arakawa. He's kinda maybe a little weaker power level wise in this game? but cooler when its all said and done.
So yeah, I'm liking the story and the stakes as of chapter 13's end.

Also, feels like they are really amping it up with bosses these last couple of chapters. 12's had some wonderful presentation and a great dynamic intro and 13 is even better, mid fight transitions were fantastic as well,
Sawashiro is so badass with that cane! Was having Judge Eyes flashbacks a couple of times with the dynamic scenes in the fight. Loved it!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 14 done... end game in sight now :(

So, an all round awesome set up for the finale and Ichiban continues to be awesome. He's definitely not just a Kiryu clone as I feared, they certainly nailed what I wanted from him. Boss fight wise...
Kiryu switching through styles - Yakuza Kiwami wise (no, not Zero as he gets his proper DoD style) was an awesome idea and he was just as tough as one would expect. Makes me a bit sad we couldn't get this Kiryu in Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 though... I'd love to get all those styles back - properly mind, not removing moves or anything.

The start of the fight with Ichiban punching Kiryu only for that to have 0 effect cracked me up. Likewise, Kiryu being unaffected from the fight at all demonstrates the gaping power gap between the characters at the moment. Ichiban's gotta find Komaki if he wants to stand a chance in the future. The end scene with Ichiban dreaming a Dragon Quest eque battle, down to him humming a victory theme. Its great!

I'll be wrapping things up next, after doing the next optional dungeon (to level up a bit more for one particular upcoming boss) and clear a couple more things. I have almost all the best weapons for characters, just need a couple more now. Also, playing around more with Summons and I absolutely love the attention to detail in the last three you get
Daigo is my clear favourite of the bunch. I love how when the summon starts it zooms through Tojo HQ completely accurately - and then Daigo appears with the spirits of Tojo notables - Dojima, Kashiwagi, Shimano and Kazama - and shoots shit up.
Then you have Watase who gets his boss theme from 5 and beats the crap out of his opponent. Like Saejima, I love how his tattoo appears with the finishing blow. Looks super cool. Here's hoping we get to keep summons for the next game

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So... after 128 odd hours, the credits of Yakuza 7 have now finished. So I don't tend to rank games (as I never would agree what deserves to be ranked top) but lets just say, if I could make an informed decision on where this would place, it'd probably be top 3 with 5 and 0...

First off - Ichiban himself. That guy that many people wrote off or were pretty negative on as soon as he was shown off (mainly down to his hair I seem to remember). Well he's the best thing about the game. Kazuhiro Nakaya did a great job as Nishiki but he absolutely blows practically every previous performance of a Yakuza character out the window in this game... The end game especially is just a few hours of absolute top tier VA work, and him
interacting with Masato Arakawa is just amazing. Seriously I think it might be the best performance in the entire series, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time... their rivalry and backstory was so well defined and makes that slow intro oh so worth while as it builds Ichiban and Waka up so well...
And as for other performances... Aoki Ryo is excellent and is well fleshed out throughout the game, Masumi Arakawa was going to be my pick for best character in the game from the early chapters but gets bumped down a couple of places simply because Ryo and Ichiban are so damn good. But he's a very close third.
Then you have Sawashiro, Saeko, Namba, Adachi (voiced by Japanese Solid Snake himself!) who all are fantastic. Seriously, its a Yakuza game so cast wise it was no surprise that they ended up being good.

Speaking of characters those, the legacy characters. Good news for anyone that were worried that they would quickly steal the spotlight - they don't. To be more specific
Everyone but Kiryu showing up makes sense for the part of the plot in the game. It was a nice way to build tension within the Omi while giving you a few familiar faces to summon and fight. As for Kiryu - did he really need to appear? No, not really. Should he have appeared? Damn straight, he shows up and imparts some Kiryu wisdom on Ichiban who's way too angry and rash in his actions (especially when he almost beats a goon to death). Plus it allows the devs to quickly say "yeah, we can bring him back if we want to ". Its not as if they use him loads in the end game and make the story all about him, heck they downplay him loads. He doesn't even appear at the funeral at the end of the game. I appreciate that they didn't overuse him, but still giving me a fun boss fight.

Now plot wise... Its hard to objectively talk about it at the moment with it being so fresh in my mind, but I really, really liked it. Truth be told, I really liked all of Yakuza's recent releases but one thing I've had issues with in 4, 5, 6 is the baddie. Namely, aside from Someya in 6 (and he's not the final boss) the games had a rather weak array of final bosses (to be fair, 6 is great with baddies but fucked itself hard with the last boss, something I'm still annoyed about).
In 7, this is absolutely not the issue as
right off the bat they establish the Omi and the Arakawa Family as the main antagonists while also introducing the three controlling groups in Ijincho. And then later when the whole Omi thing heavily escalates you have several high ranking Omi guys vying for power - my favourite being Sawashiro, with Tendo being another one I liked (he had "untrustworthy snake" written all over him). And then you have Masato Arakawa himself - someone who I knew would never be a tough fight boss fight wise, but he's established so well throughout the game especially as it escalates more and more and he disposes of his family as if they were nothing more than pawns on a chessboard, he's like Jingu except not being an infuriating asshole. His final fight, while being incredibly easy, is just a really nice cinematic battle with a fantastic piece of music to accompany it. I loved it.

Plot twist wise I was actually happy with most of the explanations in the game - mainly why the Ijincho gangs work together, Ichiban's Millennium Tower plan and the whole "disband the Omi/Tojo". There's a few scenes that looked a bit silly (Namba running right past a bunch of Korean Gangsters to jump out the window and escape, them just letting him do so without stopping him) and there are still a couple of leaps in logic here and there but nothing anywhere near as bad as Yakuza 4's finale thankfully.

Gameplay... the combat works fantastic for the most part. I love the change in combat, it feels fresh and different and the RPG gameplay lets them have fun with Ichiban (him imaging the world as an RPG is one of the best things I've seen in a game for a while). The jobs gives you some very nice entertaining moves lists thanks to Yakuza naturally being a mix of wacky and brutal. And I absolutely loved the real time movement system as it just looks better than characters just standing there, barely moving when they attack. The Kiwami moves look fantastic and since they are skippable, if you find them getting old you can just skip them quickly. Combat is fast enough anyway but this just makes it faster. I love stuff like environmental attacks like cars, bikes etc. and summons especially are one of the best things combat wise the series has ever done - getting to call in many of the best characters in the series to help? Sign me right up! I used them loads in the end once money became no problem.
Also, the sheer weird variety of enemies here is also one of the best things in the game, and something the series has needed for years, no longer are you stuck with thin Yakuza, fat Yakuza and a couple of different weapon based enemies, now you have everything from those normal Yakuza's, and some truly bizarre characters - the doctors and patients, evil hair dressers, human trashbags, swimmers, wannabe rappers, those crazy Yakuza 0 cultists (ok, they aren't new, but they're back!) and some truly odd side bosses like
big roomba's, more wild animals (who taught a monkey how to use that machine?!) and a masochist that can't be hurt!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
2/2 apparently I typed too much:

That said... its also the area with my most complaints:

Combat is too easy. You'll walk all over enemies. I died once in the entire game. And I think characters were only KO'ed a half dozen times. If your dying in this game, your either severely underleveled or playing really, really badly. You can swap gear to weaker stuff but that doesn't make it harder, only makes combat last longer. Great to see the many great attacks, but not for any other reason.

The movement in combat looks great... when it works. There are times where my character gets stuck on scenery. Granted you'll warp if you are stuck for too long but its still annoying.

Environmental attacks aren't used enough, and only Ichiban can do them. Everyone in your party should be able to.

Jobs are cool and all but game balance basically means that most of your primary/default jobs are the ones you should stick with. Which is just what I did for the end game. I did experiment mid game while the difficulty was super easy (in fact, I guess that's one good thing about the difficulty). Only Adachi and Saeko stuck with the job change because riot cop and idol were super good for them. I'd like the job system to return, and improved on for the next game - just rebalance it. That said, leveling them up is super easy, there's three main spots to get XP which can be used to excellent effect during the game for key "choke" points...

Dungeon design needs work. Granted its not actually really any different to what you get in previous games, but the RPG gameplay makes it feel like they are not quite so smooth somehow... Not as epic.

Oh, and where's my mid fight QTEs? I assumed they were cut outright but one fight does actually include them. Just seems bizarre that they are only used once!

Speaking of which, there are three points where under leveled people will struggle - that's
Majima/Saejima, Kiryu and Tendo. These three don't pull punches and if you don't have Idol Saeko leveled up as healer and don't have Ichiban's attack buffs and better gear, you'll probably struggle. Tendo can one hit kill characters even with my level 80s Saeko. But I was well prepared for that so it wasn't an issue

Side stuff... its well serviced here. You have Dragon Kart (which I love in time trial mode, just shaving seconds off my best times is enough for me), great side stories with your usual mix of drama, sadness, and... well the funny stuff is REALLY funny. Its some of the best in the series. There's less than say Yakuza 0 or even 5, but the quality is there, as is voice acting for parts (but not all) of side stories. Which does add a lot in certain scenarios. And unlike 6 which had a habbit of making side stories intros to mini games, this doesn't happen here - well Karting has side stories attacked but those aren't intros to the mini game but rather stories that build up the rivalries between racers.
The business mini game is great fun and is way more in depth than what Kiryu got in 0. I loved it. Once you hit rank one though, its just going through the motions for the payout, but up to that point its great fun and as you go you get some great rewards - the best being Eri - who is hands down one of the best characters in the game.
Other mini games include the tests which are quite fun (especially the Sega related ones), the arcade (nothing new, but I love VF5 and Outrun - still I hope for more new stuff for the next game), Mahjong (same as it ever was, best thing ever for me!) Karaoke (love it, the new songs are excellent as is the cover of Machine Gun Kiss), Can collecting (arcadey style racing game almost, feels really fun to play over and over for a better score), Golf (new aiming makes it way more fun in my opinion) while Darts, Casino games and baseball remain the same as Judge Eyes - all good but nothing new. Hostess clubs are now just frienship boosting areas with 0 interaction with the girls beyond buying them food/drinks. And... I don't really mind. I had who knows how many games worth of romancing them, and I definitely don't miss that here. I do miss the girlfriend system from Judge Eyes though... the girlfriend side stories in this game don't quite hit the same notes.

City wise Ijincho is wonderful. As I've said several times, its so nice to have a new place to explore than is more than just a red light district. And the various changes of scenery in this town really build up the atmosphere nicely. You still have entertainment districts but also the lower income areas, the Chinese and Korean held areas and the big park and more affluent/business areas north of the map. I love the neon heavy Kamurocho and Sotenbori but I prefer how "complete" Ijincho feels by comparison. I fact, I was looking at the out of bounds areas in Kamurocho in the end game pondering how its really not all that impossible to stretch out the landmass area anymore and make things a little more varied. I really hope they do that for next game.
However, as was touched upon previously Sotenbori especially feels tacked on - well it really is. Plot wise
there's 0 reason it even needed to be in, its really just there because they can. And I love that. Exploring it, while ultimately pointless because there's no unique stuff beyond some safes and a couple of Mahjong tables along with the battle arena (should have been more than 30 floors btw). But that and Kamurocho were still fun to just explore and take in the sights again. So its not so much of a complaint as it is a nice extra

So yeah, I probably have more to say, especially on the future after 7. But I recommend anyone who likes Yakuza plot and content to not skip the game regardless of the combat. Its still so damn good and I look forward to Yakuza 8 which better have Ichiban and friends back! Only one character that absolutely needs to be included front and center is
Akiyama. He was completely absent in this game, and since he's a loved character AND used heavily in Online he's gotta return next game, or given his own spinoff. I'll accept nothing else

Oh, and the soundtrack rocks

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give me Ichiban and co for Yakuza 8 please. I don't need
Kiryu anymore with those awesome characters
. I like Ichiban even a bit more and he had a great character arc in this game. The last hours are just awesome. I loved the scenes where
Ichiban doesn't think clearly anymore and is just raging around and Kiryu being "Huh gotta teach you to cool your head now I guess so fuck you I won't tell you anything right now"

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Ichiban and co for Yakuza 8 please. I don't need
Kiryu anymore with those awesome characters
. I like Ichiban even a bit more and he had a great character arc in this game. The last hours are just awesome. I loved the scenes where
Ichiban doesn't think clearly anymore and is just raging around and Kiryu being "Huh gotta teach you to cool your head now I guess so fuck you I won't tell you anything right now"

Yeah, when he was
just going nuts on beating on the goons it really showed the difference between Ichiban and Kiryu - Kiryu is always shown as being pretty level headed, aside from a couple of spots in 0 where his rage gets the better of him... but for the most part he's calm until he absolutely needs to fight. Ichiban can go off on one way easier, which I kinda liked about him - he could have so easily been yet another Kiryu but instead they defined his character so well. And it was the perfect time for Kiryu to show up and smack some sense into him.

And yeah, I can't help but wonder just what they'll do for the next game, what with how the game ends... The two biggest Yakuza clans in the game series are disbanded, though they made sure to come up with a reason as to what the legacy characters will be doing - so they can easily bring them back in the future. Glad Watase was brought back and will get to maybe do something in the future, I loved him in 5 and his small amount of screen time in this.

Also makes it as an interesting twist - Daigo never could truly control the Tojo Clan with the amount of members and back stabbing going on throughout the series (not all his fault, the plot for Yakuza 4 was mainly down to issues that occurred during the first?second chairman's reign... getting rid of the clan just makes sense at this point, its impossible to control, at least for Daigo. But with him setting up shop in Sotenbori and Ichiban and friends in Injincho... what of Kamurocho? Dammit... the more I think of it, the more I can't help but wonder what 8 will do!

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Main story spoiler:
With the mention of "fixer" in Kiryu's story, do y'all think RGG studio is preparing for Kiryu's return? Kiryu's whole story in 7 felt like a set up for future games. Let Kiryu fight these "fixer" guys and bring Haruka back too.
Also, with Majima out of Tojo, they can use him as a protagonist again. I want a Ichiban, Kiryu, Majima three protagonists game.

Last side quest spoiler:
Is Kashiwagi really the boss at the bar? Or was that a joke easter egg by the devs?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Main story spoiler:
With the mention of "fixer" in Kiryu's story, do y'all think RGG studio is preparing for Kiryu's return? Kiryu's whole story in 7 felt like a set up for future games. Let Kiryu fight these "fixer" guys and bring Haruka back too.
Also, with Majima out of Tojo, they can use him as a protagonist again. I want a Ichiban, Kiryu, Majima three protagonists game.

Last side quest spoiler:
Is Kashiwagi really the boss at the bar? Or was that a joke easter egg by the devs?

Well for any future games
why is Kiryu fighting his employers? The fixers are the guys that help him disappear at the end of 6, and let him intervene in 7 because shit was falling apart in spectacular fashion - if Aoki Ryo got total control it'd be very, very bad. I hope he stays gone. There's no reason for him to return immediately, and I was appreciative of how they didn't overuse him in 7, in fact his usage was just right. His plot is done, but that was blatantly a hook to basically say "yeah, he's still here and still kicking ass if he needs too". Its definitely the devs way of writing him back into the plot in the future if need be.

Majima, Saejima, Watase and Daigo all going off and doing their own thing post Tojo/Omi also gives them ample reason to return, but again I'd rather they sit on them for the time being because they've already been used loads, and Ichiban is so damn good in this one I'd rather he and his friends get top billing again. And I definitely don't want any more multi protag games for a while. Maybe them all in a party together, but I feel one protag games just works better for plot, two at very most like 0 did it. No more than that. And if they do bring anyone else back, I really want Akiyama back again for a game/spinoff (with Hana).

As for that side story, I read its a legit thing, its called Bar "Survive" because he did just that. Guess Kiryu should have checked for a pulse before running out of the Millennium Tower...

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Did you
Main story spoiler:

Last side quest spoiler:
Same voice actor and references the attack in 3. Find it a bit odd this was left to a substory, but I understand wanting to reward players and done in any other way it would'nt have fit into the narrative,feeling like it was just thrown in.

Kashiwagi appears in Daigo's summon though doesn't he?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did you

Same voice actor and references the attack in 3. Find it a bit odd this was left to a substory, but I understand wanting to reward players and done in any other way it would'nt have fit into the narrative,feeling like it was just thrown in.

Kashiwagi appears in Daigo's summon though doesn't he?
He does. Which is really weird. Then again, Daigo has no idea so I guess he still thinks he's dead.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
He said he can't do much to help Ichiban with the fixser.
Main story spoiler:

Last side quest spoiler:
I didn't take the part that way at all and I don't know what makes you think that way. That's out of his character.

Fan service I think. His voice, the list of the items he makes, his past, everything is pointing he is the guy but the game doesn't say that directly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, all stars acquired from the Byte Hero stuff. No reward... bastard. I still have a bit from the mini game completion list to go but seeing as the fighting completion list is strange and only counts Ichiban KOs in styles, I'll pass on completing that - because its mad that you have to specifically use him to get 300 KOs per job he can use. But since its completely optional, who really cares!

Also got ultimate weapons for all my party, no real need to, but I wanted to! Now I'm just basically wrapping up trophies, side stories, mini games and then will tackle Amon.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I thought the "fixers" worked with the people that threatened Kiryu at the end of 6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the "fixers" worked with the people that threatened Kiryu at the end of 6.
No, not really. But I suppose its how you interpret the ending - they were the ones who
offered him money in exchange to ignore the whole goings on from the end of 6. Kiryu instead asked them to fake his own dead etc. But in 7 its revealed he sorta works alongside them when needed, to prevent the kind of outcome that 7 almost had - namely Aoki Ryo getting too powerful and bringing harm to their interests (I'm guessing that last bit, because I'm not sure its explicitly stated why he's helping but I assume that's why, wouldn't surprise me that they were down with this whole fake money scheme that has been ongoing in Ijincho for decades)

lemonade

May 8, 2018
No, not really. But I suppose its how you interpret the ending - they were the ones who
offered him money in exchange to ignore the whole goings on from the end of 6. Kiryu instead asked them to fake his own dead etc. But in 7 its revealed he sorta works alongside them when needed, to prevent the kind of outcome that 7 almost had - namely Aoki Ryo getting too powerful and bringing harm to their interests (I'm guessing that last bit, because I'm not sure its explicitly stated why he's helping but I assume that's why, wouldn't surprise me that they were down with this whole fake money scheme that has been ongoing in Ijincho for decades)

This is why I think the story can go in the direction where, Kiryu has been forced to help them for years until Kiryu wants out and fixers then threaten Haruka (again!).

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man Kiryu really doesn't need to come back. He's done, if you bring him back into the fold or bring Haruka back I'd be super soured. It could happen considering the lukewarm reception the games gotten over here in japan with fans but I really hope they keep going with Ichi

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've certainly not seen the lukewarm reception, everyone I've spoken to who's played the game are loving it, especially Ichiban. I'm not worried that they'll get rid of him, only character I want brought back now in a main playable role is Akiyama so he can finally get more screen time. I still have a completely unfounded feeling that he'll be in the next game (whatever that is) in a major way.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
He visited Yokohama with his own will to help Ichiban. After he gave Ichiban the direction he should go to, Ichiban said to him "You are very helpful. Can I expect more support from now on?" then he denied it saying something like "I don't exist, if I make any further action, I will breach the contract with the fixers" and that's all. The fixers didn't do anything in 7.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
The one thing I hope for the next game if they continue the turn based style, is that they introduce the battle arena at a much earlier point, i was really struggling and dying a lot (yes, i suck i know, i dont play RPGs like at all, made an exception here because i'm invested in the series) until i reached the chapter where u can go to Sotenbori which has the battle arena and could grind myself a couple levels to make the game more manageable and enjoyable. Due to this, i definitely had more fun in the later half of the game over the beginning. If not then i would really appreciate difficulty settings for less skilled players and accessibility, really baffling to see this game lack them after all the others do.

I still had my fun with the game and ill problably play any future entries but honestly, i feel the best years with me and the series might be in the past, but we will have to wait and see, maybe RGG will surprise us real time combat fans with a Judgment 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I hope for the next game if they continue the turn based style, is that they introduce the battle arena at a much earlier point, i was really struggling and dying a lot (yes, i suck i know, i dont play RPGs like at all, made an exception here because i'm invested in the series) until i reached the chapter where u can go to Sotenbori which has the battle arena and could grind myself a couple levels to make the game more manageable and enjoyable. Due to this, i definitely had more fun in the later half of the game over the beginning. If not then i would really appreciate difficulty settings for less skilled players and accessibility, really baffling to see this game lack them after all the others do.

I still had my fun with the game and ill problably play any future entries but honestly, i feel the best years with me and the series might be in the past, but we will have to wait and see, maybe RGG will surprise us real time combat fans with a Judgment 2.
I'd be down for this. But I also want the game to ramp up enemy levels way sooner in the game. Waiting until chapter 11 was way too late for me, should have been chapter 8 at least. I was on the other end of the scale - had good gear and leveled up high early, so much so that I was using other jobs with characters and lower rank gear just to make things harder.
But the thing is - the game does give you a place to level up quicker early on - from chapter 6 you get the replayable dungeon - just fight the hobo characters down there for lots of XP, you'll rank up super quick both job and main levels. And likewise, after you reach the final chapter there's another dungeon you visit in Kamurocho that has even better hobos that make it super quick and easy to hit rank 80 in less than an hour.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'll keep that dungeon in mind when i replay the game in the localized version. I admit that i missed it due to the language barrier.

I feel this highlights a personal issue i had with the game, maybe due to my lack of experience with RPGs or maybe the language barrier with the import, or both but, i feel my experience this time with the import was not very pleasant.

In the past games, i could play the imports fine for the most part, maybe look up a guide like once or twice when i got stuck, or to do some side stuff in particular, but in here i needed one for most of my playthrough just to progress the main story and i clearly still missed some obvious stuff like that dungeon. I personally never found playing games with a guide besides you all that engaging, i'm sure its different for people that speak the language, but i needed one with this import and it sucked having to rely on jankly google translated pages that might be misleading or not super clear at times. I guess this should be a sign for me to stop importing these turn based entries and just wait for the localization when there is better English documentation available and i can understand the tips and instructions that the game throws at you better.

Also, while i appreciate that grinding to over level is an avenue that exist to ease progress for less skilled people like me, it has never been one of my favorite things to do in games, its pretty monotonous. Aside from the combat, found everything else to be excellent so i'm pretty torn about the game overall. Guess i'll have to wait and see how i feel once the western version hits shores.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its not really grinding for hours on end though. I just played the game naturally and for the first 11 chapters I never needed to grind because I just naturally leveled up. I only did a couple of runs on the arena and Kamuro dungeon because I knew the later bosses were not something to be trifled with. I felt the game was pretty simple for an RPG, I don't play many but this one has some easy menus that are visually pleasing, very easy to understand what moves do (heal, attack, spell etc.) along with weapons and armor being really clear on what is much better compared to current gear you have equipped.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
With (I think) everyone having completed the game now, where do you think the series will go next?

I think that we won't see any of the old guard again, the former Tojo Clan has gotten a nice conclusion to its arc and maybe in future games we will hear about their security company, but I don't think they'll be featured as much anymore.

I expect the next game to start out with just Ichi, Namba and Saeko and we will collect some of our former party members on the way through the game, but I also think that Adachi will take a role like Date, he will show up and support Ichi, but maybe end up as an actual party member very late in the game.

Story wise I expect it to deal with the situation in Kamurocho, without an existing organization to rule over Kamurocho I think that there will be a lot of struggles for power, I also expect that whatever gets build at the spot of little asia to get revealed and play a large role. I also think that now that Ichi is well known by the general population of Ijincho it will create a very different role for him than Kiryu ever had, as he was only well known in the underground world.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
With (I think) everyone having completed the game now, where do you think the series will go next?

I think that we won't see any of the old guard again, the former Tojo Clan has gotten a nice conclusion to its arc and maybe in future games we will hear about their security company, but I don't think they'll be featured as much anymore.

I expect the next game to start out with just Ichi, Namba and Saeko and we will collect some of our former party members on the way through the game, but I also think that Adachi will take a role like Date, he will show up and support Ichi, but maybe end up as an actual party member very late in the game.

Story wise I expect it to deal with the situation in Kamurocho, without an existing organization to rule over Kamurocho I think that there will be a lot of struggles for power, I also expect that whatever gets build at the spot of little asia to get revealed and play a large role. I also think that now that Ichi is well known by the general population of Ijincho it will create a very different role for him than Kiryu ever had, as he was only well known in the underground world.
Now Anti-Yakuza law is brought to the game world and its closer to the real life. I hope they keep away from the Yakuza theme in the future games.
Make Ichiban-seika worldwide :D

12301245561986194727.jpg

614XnfkbTVL._SX466_.jpg

lemonade

May 8, 2018

I hope they bring the old characters back. Still feel like Kiryu's ending in 6 was not a great conclusion for him. Majima also needs a proper final game.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon me for not reading thread in case of spoilers, I was wondering what the impressions were?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
New game wise, they definitely have the most interesting set up for a new sequel in a while. Some actual interesting changes made in the late game so it won't be yet another wacky Kiryu adventure but can really do something new and different, part of why I really loved 7...

Ichiban should absolutely be the main character (and if we get anyone else, it should be Akiyama or another newbie, no other legacy characters allowed...)
The way the game ends means we can at least get most of the party back, so definitely want them to do exactly that. City wise, I don't imagine we'll be getting any brand new cities - Ijincho will almost certainly return, just flesh out the number of buildings you can visit and I'll be happy. Likewise, they can stretch Kamurocho's landmass out a bit more to flesh its size out a bit more. I mean, I see it returning since
the void that Omi and Tojo leaving will absolutely invite a new player into the mix, I really can't imagine them not having a new threat trying to get its hands on Kamurocho and Sotenbori since those have historically been the two big hotbeads for Yakuza acitivity
. Ichiban finds himself caught in the middle etc. If the first game was all about establishing him as a legit character, this one will cement his status as a badass.

Anyway, spent my days off (among other games) getting the last of 7 cleared. I'd finished the story already, just had
Amon
and some Completion List stuff to get done. Got the plat last week. Speaking of which, this game has a bad platinum trophy. Not a hard one, nope not close to it. But its not good. If someone rigidly sticks to solely the trophy list you will miss a notable amount of content - You won't complete the Sujimon list, you won't clear all the side stories (only 40 of 52), heck I don't think you'd even clear the optional retreads on the dungeons (
bar Amon Tower
), you'll ignore most of the mini games etc.
I ended up 100%ing almost all of the game checklists, only ones I didn't do were all the optional converations (saving that for the English run so I can understand them better - which again are another great source of entertainment you won't see if you only go for the plat list) and the combat based stuff - I ever cleared the beat X enemies with Y class because its tied exclusively to Ichiban and not the entire party. And I picked up on that way too late, and I didn't feel like grinding for it.

The final optional dungeon though is ace, much stronger enemies compared to anyone you fight in the main story so it actually feels tougher, though they don't go wild with enemies that have huge health bars, rather just enemies that deal decent damage. I like it, if the difficulty DLC or NG+ is like this, I'll be buying and replaying for sure, I want to be challenged like this more often. End boss was easier than expected though, not that he doesn't hit hard but he didn't have anywhere near as much health as I expected so he went down quicker that I expected. Definitely should have made him a longer fight, he IS the optional post game boss after all! Nice theme though...