• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's not FFXVI but still a big project. I really can't take another endless hack and slash FF game.

A new IP though? Bring it on.

Actual Credits to MintMuffin

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is another case of era -> internet -> era lol.. MintMuffin was the one responsible for this finding so all credits to them.

I found this hiring website of Square Enix: https://ss-agent.jp/pr/square-enix-2004/

This is an interview with Ryota Suzuki, who worked on Dragon's Dogma and DMCV before joining SE 3rd Development Division (Yoshida's team) last year. He's now lead combat designer for an AAA project, and he's hiring for people with experience in action game development.

The interview talks about how SE think of turn-based combat vs. action, and the working environment in the company. Hopefully someone with better Japanese knowledge can translate it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
For Division 3's new AAA thing.

I keep joking to myself it's Nier 3 or a new Drakengard because Yoko Taro is currently working on FF14's Nier raid so he is around Division 3. Either way a new action game by the FF14 division gets me excited.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of Capcom action/fighting games and having no interest in anything Square does or FF at all, I'm not too enthused by this news, especially after seeing that list.

Good for him though if it's a step up. Just hope it's a new IP though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Making a mainline FF game with that kind of combat would be a bit strange. Interested to see what it would be like though.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
4s8uWYZ.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're in for a rude awakening if you think FFXVI is pure turn based. It's not happening. Prepare yourself to master dodging and cast BLIZZAGA in style

It's not stylish to spend 60 hours mashing weak melee attacks for pathetic chip damage against enemies and bosses that take way too long to kill. It's just boring. Give me something different than the endless sludge of mediocre action games with stats that only get in the way.

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing Suzuki joining Square-Enix on his Twitter last year, but I forgot about it until I saw this interview:

ss-agent.jp

ę Ŗ式会ē¤¾ć‚¹ć‚Æć‚¦ć‚§ć‚¢ćƒ»ć‚Ø惋惃ć‚Æć‚¹ļ½œę–°ä½œć‚¢ć‚Æć‚·ćƒ§ćƒ³ć‚²ćƒ¼ćƒ ć‚ÆćƒŖć‚Ø悤ć‚æćƒ¼ę±‚äŗŗ

ć‚²ćƒ¼ćƒ ć®ęœŖę„ć‚’åˆ‡ć‚Šę‹“ćļ¼ć‚¢ć‚Æć‚·ćƒ§ćƒ³ć‚²ćƒ¼ćƒ é–‹ē™ŗēµŒéØ“č€…ć‚’å‹Ÿé›† - ę–°č¦AAAć‚æć‚¤ćƒˆćƒ«ćƒ»FINAL FANTASY XVIļ¼ˆćƒ•ć‚”ć‚¤ćƒŠćƒ«ćƒ•ć‚”ćƒ³ć‚æć‚øćƒ¼16/FF16ļ¼‰ļ½œļ¼ˆē‰¹åˆ„é€£č¼‰ä¼ē”»ļ¼‰ē¾å½¹ć‚ÆćƒŖć‚Ø悤ć‚æćƒ¼ćŒčŖžć‚‹ć€Œä»Šć€é–‹ē™ŗē¾å “ć§ę¬²ć—ć„äŗŗꝐćØćÆ怍ļ½œć‚²ćƒ¼ćƒ ę„­ē•Œć®äø­é€”ꎔē”Øćƒ»č»¢č·ćŖ悉悷ćƒŖć‚³ćƒ³ć‚¹ć‚æć‚øć‚Ŗć‚Øćƒ¼ć‚øć‚§ćƒ³ćƒˆ

He joined Square-Enix as battle director in February, just as development on DMC5 ended, and is working on an unannounced title at Naoki Yoshida's Division 3. They're looking for people with action game experience for the new project. As part of that they're doing a feature on him and other staff members. It's quite a long interview. I've only had the chance to take a quick look at it.

A bit of a background. Also known by his alias Oni-S, he joined Capcom in March 1999, and was a part of the Itsuno dream team for a long time. Besides being the gameplay player lead on Dragon's Dogma, and lead designer on Dark Arisen, he's worked as a planner on numerous Capcom titles, including Project Justice, Darkstalkers (Dreamcast), Capcom vs, SNK, Pro and 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, UMvC3 (effects design) and DMC4 & 5. He was part of Capcom's supervisory team on DmC. He also did some programming work on Monster Hunter: World and Iceborne, as well as Dragon's Dogma.

As for what this new title might be, it could be FF16 or it could be that unannounced next gen new action IP that news broke on late last year: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...on-a-new-action-game-ip-for-next-gen-consoles

Oni-S has 20 years of experience on 2D and 3D action and fighting games, so whatever he's working on, the combat almost couldn't be in more capable hands.

Last edited:

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's not going to be DMC gameplay if it turns out to be FFXVI. They just want someone with action expertise that they're going to tie up with RPG elements. I mean, Suzuki has the experience considering he was involved in Dragon's Dogma

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Dogma and Devil May Cry 5 have some of the best melee combat in all of video games, the latter in particular is exceptional both visually and in complexity. That's enough to have me optimistic for what's next from him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao VIIR is not a hack and slash game. I can see where people might have that idea but it's more RPG than action game.

Cant comment on XV, I couldn't get into the combat with the whole weird "hold down the Attack button to attack".

I hate the chip damage bullshit. I hate it so fucking much. It's not fun to spend 25 minutes on a boss doing virtually no damage to it. I don't enjoy modern action RPGs because they rely so heavily on enemies having ABSURDLY LARGE health pools or stupid bullshit restrictions about when you can damage them.

XV's combat was more fun to me than VIIR's, but it's still not a very high bar. I prefer strategic combat over hack and slash any day of the week.

Don't cry just yet because turn based games still exist in Square Enix. FFXVI just won't be that. And hey. I asked a Moogle about you and she told me you're buying FFXVI anyway, kupo!

We'll see. I'm still not even sure I'm gonna bother with next gen at all at this point.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, you guys. It's happening. We're getting real time job switching.

DRAGOON. SAMURAI. MACHINIST. DRAGOON. SAMURAI. DRA-SAM-DRAG-SAM-SUMMO-ROGUE.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Big loss for Capcom (and the DMC team) but big gain for SE.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Look, if they want to make an action game, then they should just go all out and do it right.

But if Final Fantasy goes full action moving forward, it will make me very sad. I loved the series partially because they didn't rely solely on twitch reflexes to ensure victory. I want the chance to take my time and strategize about my battles as they're going on. FFVII Remake did it so well.

I can only hope that, if the game is FFXVI, that they brought this director on board to ensure the action-y parts of the battle system are just as good as the menu-based strategy parts in a hybrid like VIIR. Otherwise... I'll have a hard time continuing with the series moving forward.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshida mentioned years ago that he saw God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn and thought SE needed one of those:

Back in a 2016 Famitsu interview, Naoki Yoshida said that after seeing non-Japanese games such as the new God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn at E3 2016, he felt frustrated that Square Enix didn't have similar games to show. Yoshida claimed that he will definitely make a similar AAA game within the next 3 to 5 years, or else people wouldn't believe in him and Square Enix anymore. It's highly likely this is the project he was talking about.
www.dualshockers.com

Square Enix's Newest Division Has Started Full-Scale Development on an Undisclosed AAA Project (Updated)

The project, led by Final Fantasy XIV's Naoki Yoshida, was first revealed in 2016 by Square Enix and seems to be a brand new IP.

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like the 15 mins I spent on my thread was a waste of time, lol.

Btw, he was one of like 20 designers on DMC5, and wasn't the lead designer on any of the DMCs (lead designer on 4 and 5 was Yoichiro Ikeda). We don't know specifically what aspects of DMC he worked on (unless it's detailed in the interview. I haven't had the chance to take a look, yet).

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
FFXVI. šŸ™

FFXV was the best battle system that Square pushed out for a FF game, and even that can't be compared to DMCV.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yoshida mentioned years ago that he saw God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn and thought SE needed one of those:

www.dualshockers.com

Square Enix's Newest Division Has Started Full-Scale Development on an Undisclosed AAA Project (Updated)

The project, led by Final Fantasy XIV's Naoki Yoshida, was first revealed in 2016 by Square Enix and seems to be a brand new IP.
Hmm, so it might be a pure action or action-adventure game in a new IP. Or a FF spinoff

Oct 25, 2017
wow, a numbered non-MMO Final Fantasy might be good? It's been like 15 years since the last one that was any good(unless we count 7R, I kinda liked it).

Bring it on.