• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I got this game free with gwg for a while but never played it until yesterday. It's pretty enjoyable.

Yes the game is design like a call of duty with similar set pieces but it actually works. The monetization is awful though. You can buy character upgrades with real money. Apparently it was supposed to be for those that want them faster. Back in the days, cheat codes would do that.

The combat while repetitive is fun for some button smashing time. For a launch game it also look very good, more than some recent games. I am at chapter 4 and will probably finish it by this weekend.

Give it a try people.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine for a launch game, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it today. It's incredibly shallow.

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
It's a perfectly acceptable action game that looks great.

I bought it dirt cheap during an Xbox Live online sale. Honestly, it was probably worth at least $30 for the time I put in and the enjoyment.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I paid $10 for it about a year ago, and had a good time. Too bad we aren't going to get more.

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Picked up an xbox one x this holiday and got to play this from gwg and loved it would have been a great game to play on launch

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, the game made you feel like a badass even thought he combat was simple. I still wish we would've had a sequel or a 4k patch for the One X. I know both won't happen but a man can dream.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I played it because for some reason I got it for free from the Xbox Store? And I really really enjoyed it! Beautiful looking game.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
The coliseum arena mode was actually really fun too, the progression system was totally geared towards MTX so I didn't stick with it long. But there was a really fun mode in there underneath some bullshit

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
A few months ago me and a friend booted it up out of interest (I bought it ages ago on sale for like £3) and we got surprisingly far into it in one sitting. I'm not sure I'd say it's a good game, and I really don't care about graphics at all (it's main selling point) but it was kind of fun in a mindless, chicken nuggets kind of way. For £4 it's an enjoyable few hours for sure.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It was the first Xbox One game I played and it did the job of being a graphical showcase at least. I had a good time but combat gets repetitive and lacks a bit of depth.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Was too mind numbing to finish, personally, but I hold no ill will against the game. It's a dumb action game with beautiful graphics in a very unique setting. I'm fine with that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a fun game, not a masterpiece but as a launch title I thought it was fine.

Got weirdly attacked like The Order without having any particular flaws. Expectation were just higher for a 60$ game I guess.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
i actually enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It was short and didn't over stay its welcome. Definitely recommended.

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was a very enjoyable game. I also got it for $30 when I got my Xbox one. I really enjoyed the story. Gameplay was a little janky, but fun. And I actually really enjoyed the co-op multiplayer.

Side note: Crytek games always look so lame with the random "Y" in the title.

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
It was a fun game, not a masterpiece but as a launch title I thought it was fine.

Got weirdly attacked like The Order without habing any particular flwas. Expectation were just higher for a 60$ game I guess.
Unlike the order, it had a good story that was finished, and a fun multiplayer mode.

The order should have had a survival or wave mode. I mean it was built for it with all the chest high environments everywhere.

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Ryse was great, the launch lineup was pretty good for the One. Dead Rising 3 was great also.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Ryse actually reminded me of Heavenly Sword quite a bit - a beautiful, shallow, ultimately fun game that isn't very long but knows what it wants to do and does it well.

Oct 27, 2017
Ryse is just dull. No character or personality in its story or gameplay.

I just found it boring from start to finish which is a shame because I wanted to like it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
First game I played when I bought my xbox one last year. Very much enjoyed my time with it, story was a bit weak though. Also you can tell Kinect was meant to be play its part with the gameplay.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
It was beautiful. But no weapon swaps, pretty samey encounters, a bit of overused bullet time crits, made it a little shallow even for a hack and slash.

I felt like a sequel could have been mind bending with a few weapon choices and more thought out level design than a launch game could afford.

But alas, that ship has sailed.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it for what it was. I actually really liked the story, though it's super not cool that the story automatically gets spoiled by an achievement.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun game, and visually stunning on the PC - not every game needs to be Dark Souls for it to be engaging.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryse is a fantastic game, and it did a lot of the stuff Hellblade did, but years earlier. (Yes, I know that Hellblade cost way less to make and was sold for way less and did in fact criticism for its combat from hardcore gamers just like Ryse, but the point stands.) It's a graphical stunning supernatural-themed revenge story with absolutely stunning digital acting.

Crytek were to some degree victims of the backlash against linear games that hit hard around 2012 and hasn't really gone away. Crysis 3 was very open, but it wasn't open world like Far Cry 3 was. Audiences didn't want 6-10 hour story-driven linear or wide linear experiences. They wanted open world time 40+ hour time sinks. If Crytek had jumped on the open world bandwagon like Ubisoft did, they wouldn't have fallen into strife.
Also you can tell Kinect was meant to be play its part with the gameplay.
As far as I know that isn't true. There was a Kinect Ryse game, but that was a completely different Xbox 360 title. Ryse went through a few reboots. I don't think the final version of Ryse had anything in common with the Kinect game besides the setting.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its strange that of all the games I own that one come up so often for folks to check out and it ends up with us beating it every time.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Ryse is a fantastic game, and it did a lot of the stuff Hellblade did, but years earlier. (Yes, I know that Hellblade cost way less to make and was sold for way less and did in fact criticism for its combat from hardcore gamers just like Ryse, but the point stands.) It's a graphical stunning supernatural-themed revenge story with absolutely stunning digital acting.

Crytek were to some degree victims of the backlash against linear games that hit hard around 2012 and hasn't really gone away. Crysis 3 was very open, but it wasn't open world like Far Cry 3 was. Audiences didn't want 6-10 hour story-driven linear or wide linear experiences. They wanted open world time 40+ hour time sinks. If Crytek had jumped on the open world bandwagon like Ubisoft did, they wouldn't have fallen into strife.

As far as I know that isn't true. There was a Kinect Ryse game, but that was a completely different Xbox 360 title. Ryse went through a few reboots. I don't think the final version of Ryse had anything in common with the Kinect game besides the setting.

I thought the game was enjoyable for what it was, but the marching sections definitely feel like they have roots in Kinect based gameplay.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up with GwG and the combat just didn't click. It also was no longer a real looker when I played. Deleted after like an hour

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
It needed a few more enemy types.

I thought the multiplayer was even better than the campaign. Trying to keep your combo going with your partner was some good fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Still to this day one of my favorite games of this generation.

Makes me sad that we'll likely never get a sequel because it's absolutely oozing with potential.

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes you don't need a 100hr game; and are looking for an easy-to-follow and appreciate experience. Really enjoyed it on PC.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought the same for the first hour. Then that first hour just repeated itself over and over and never introduced anything new or challenging. Never even finished it. Too boring. What was worse was the clear roots in kinect.

It reminds me of the order 1886. Nice looking. Painfully simplistic. But a potentially good foundation if they made an improved sequel. We won't be getting one for either game though.

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I quite enjoyed it myself too. The combat isn't incredibly deep per se but it was satisfying. I liked stringing combos together, and the brutality is in your face all the time.

That's not even to speak to the stunning visual direction. Would have loved for it to get an X patch.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
It needed a little bit more TLC in the form of a sequel to really shine but I had a lot of fun with it on Legionary mode.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh hey, that's the game where Queen Boadicea attacks the city of Rome. With elephants.

I don't insist on strict historical accuracy or anything, but that shit made my brain hurt.

Also, they keep talking about Damocles (as in "sword of Damocles") like he was fucking Roman Batman.

Oct 25, 2017

Got weirdly attacked like The Order without having any particular flaws. Expectation were just higher for a 60$ game I guess.

It was a victim of the terrible Xbox launch and that "It's just QTEs" attack by people who didn't care enough to recognise it was basically the Batman Arkham style combat.

It was a solid game with a couple of really cool moments (That forest/wickerman bit, the corridor near the end). Watching the Emperor's son chewing the scenery every time he appeared in a cut scene was pretty enjoyable too iirc

Add me to the list of people who hoped for a sequel fleshing out some of the ideas :(

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
I got it for cheap on PC last year and was shocked at how bad it was. It's the kind of game that's only good when you're starved for content in those first 6 months after a console launch. Woof.