• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got it for cheap on PC last year and was shocked at how bad it was. It's the kind of game that's only good when you're starved for content in those first 6 months after a console launch. Woof.
The PC version was released 11 months after the Xbox One version, and garnered "Very Positive" reviews and several hundred thousand copies sold to date. (Although some were bundled obviously.) Hellblade, which is so similar to Ryse that almost every criticism of Ryse can also be applied to it, came along last year, and managed to sell around 300,000 copies on Steam with moderately more positive reviews. The thing about Ryse is that it was super expensive, went way over budget, and so on. The primary reason Ryse is considered a troubled game while Hellblade is considered a success is that Hellblade cost way less to make. If Ryse had cost 8 million dollars instead of a bazillion it would have been a smash hit darling.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
One of the best games this gen. Double dipped on it. Loved the arena and the single player. Need a sequel badly.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Got it for 4.99 on steam I think. It's a tech demo on my pc. I doubt I'll ever finish it shocking how repetitive it is for this generation

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It really is

When they first announced it and showed it off, I groaned and thought it looked awful, not to mention terribly boring. Then when it came out, I heard it was pretty good and was wanting something to play, so I rented it and beat it over a few days. And...it was pretty fun. Way better than I had thought.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I really liked it. I'm glad I got it with GwG, because with all the people shitting on it, I'd have mistakenly ignored it otherwise.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arcade style hack 'n slash/beat 'em up with Triple A production values. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This and The Order 1886 deserves a sequel.

Not only because the graphics are amazing. But the setting and the narrative towards the end sets a great tone for further content. In the The Order it ends on a huge cliffhanger that could be an amazing sequel like Uncharted 2 was.

Crytek.... pull yourself together and go full production on Ryse Knights of England

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got it for PC and its a nice tech demo but that's about it.

Shockingly bad as a game. If you want to switch your brain off for a few hours and look at a technical showpiece then I guess it could be ok.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People just wanted to hate anything Xbox at the time of release. It's a decent game.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
You should have played it back in 2013 when it released for the full effect, as its graphics then were head and shoulders above *anything* else.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I enjoyed the first two chapters, but the combat is so shallow and repetitive that I got bored of it in chapter 3. After a while it got worse and each combat section felt annoying. I really had to force myself to finish the rest of the game. What a waste of excellent graphics and cutscenes!

Yeah I almost forgot. The story is very enjoyable indeed! It's the main reason why I finished the game, despite not liking the combat.

People just wanted to hate anything Xbox at the time of release. It's a decent game.

This is nonsense. Ryse plays like an early mobile game with AAA graphics. It's shallow and repetitive as fuck. This is the reason why many people didn't like it, not because of blind hate against anything Xbox related.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, ended up really enjoying my time with Ryse. It was bottom of my list of launch games when the Xbox One came out but I ended up with more cash than I expected and grabbed a copy (along with KI, Forza, Dead Rising and Black Flag). It's a great little game. I played about 25 hours of the coliseum co-op mode after I finished the story. The combat is really good in it!

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really loved it, and I was hoping for a sequel but will propably never actually get one.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh hey, that's the game where Queen Boadicea attacks the city of Rome. With elephants.

I don't insist on strict historical accuracy or anything, but that shit made my brain hurt.

Also, they keep talking about Damocles (as in "sword of Damocles") like he was fucking Roman Batman.

Yeah, same here. I didn't expect the game to be super historically accurate or anything but uh...the game's story was on the "so weirdly wrong it's distracting" side of things. Really pretty game though.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the first two chapters, but the combat is so shallow and repetitive that I got bored of it in chapter 3. After a while it got worse and each combat section felt annoying. I really had to force myself to finish the rest of the game. What a waste of excellent graphics and cutscenes! This is nonsense. Ryse plays like an early mobile game with AAA graphics. It's shallow and repetitive as fuck. This is the reason why many people didn't like it, not because of blind hate against anything Xbox related.
How did you feel about Hellblade, to compare? Personally, I thought the combat system was passable. I liked how it handled QTEs. Instead of punishing you for missing them, it rewarded you for hitting them. Which was very inventive. I feel that Hellblade and Ryse and Remember Me are examples of third person action games that don't place a huge amount of value on being difficult. (Hellblade literally shouts "BEHIND YOU" in your ear every time someone is about to hit you from behind.) I don't think every game has to be this super challenging game where people "git gud" at it. For some games, the gameplay is a vehicle for the story and setting and visuals and music and stuff. As long as there aren't serious mechanical flaws, I really don't understand the hate.

Last edited:

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was my launch game on XOne. Played nearly 100 hrs. Finished 3 times, spend the rest in multiplayer. Loved every second of it.

Jazzkokehead

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played through Ryse over the course of a weekend about two years ago when I was snowed in. It must be one of the best looking, yet most boring games I've ever played. It just doesn't feel like there's much to it beyond its visuals, and once the impact of those has worn off, it's just like... ehhhh?

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryse is a technical marvel when you take everything into consideration. I really enjoyed it, and the co-op was pretty enjoyable. Still have some hope that there'll be a sequel.

It was a victim of launching on the XB1 during the worse possible period.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
How did you feel about Hellblade? Personally, I thought the combat system was passable. I liked how it handled QTEs. Instead of punishing you for missing them, it rewarded you for hitting them. Which was very inventive.

I haven't played Hellblade yet. Does it have similar combat?

I didn't mind the implementation of QTE's in Ryse. But they were too frequent imo, which made it so boring and repetitive for me. Perhaps it would have been better to keep the QTE's/finishing moves for certain stronger enemies and bosses only. But the combat needed more variation as well imo. Imagine how awesome it would have been with God of War or Nioh-like combat :o

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A launch game on the OG Xbox One that was hamstrung by poor development tools and didnt have the non kinect resource of the GPU available to them.

What Crytek did from a visual standpoint considering everything that was going against it, Ryse is a technical marvel. I didnt mind the actual gameplay either and quite enjoyed the story too. Would love to see the franchise continue but using a new cast and setting for each installment. Not going to happen though :(

Animation-Imp

Oct 27, 2017
Got it on Steam a year ago and never finished it because the game suddenly decided tot stop registering the inputs from my Xbox one controller.
I can't find a solution online and the game is just not fun playing with keyboard and mouse.
So I just stopped playing.
Too bad, because I did enjoy the little time I spent with it.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Even if the combat isn't the deepest or anything, it's a visually impressive romp in a rare setting (on PC), which I found enjoyable for the short runtime of the game.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
A sequel would've been amazing, still upset Crytek didn't go for it and you saw how things went for them afterwards.

Probably never going to happen but I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe one day they'll return to their senses.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah I almost forgot. The story is very enjoyable indeed! It's the main reason why I finished the game, despite not liking the combat.
Gross, really? Boudicca sieging Rome with War elephants, a staple in Celtic Britain warfare. And the Emperor Nero's infamous death as he took his own life surrounded by the few servants he could find for lack of friends, with his last words "what an artist dies with me" so beautifully recreated.

Repetitive gameplay aside, the story is the reason this game should be vilified. It's the perfect example of why games are STILL so mocked as an art form. Because a developer can take a setting like the Roman campaign in Britain and opt to ignore absolutely all historical accuracy in favor of making a stabby stabby dumb dumb vidya gamer bloodbath. Literally some of the greatest historical stories and events in the world, and they ignore all of it in favor of Boudicca on war elephants. Triggers me whenever a gamer praises this story because it just cements the view that gamers wouldn't appreciate a good historical adventure anyway.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Hellblade yet. Does it have similar combat?
I would say "yes", with caveats. They're not quite mechanically the same, but they play loosely similar. Basically 1-2 enemy types, very generous stun locking, and the game literally screaming at you to dodge any time you're in any possible danger of being hurt. They're certainly the closest games, genre-wise. The difference with Hellblade is that a vocal minority hated the game and called it "barely a game" and stuff like that. But it never attracted the kind of vitriol that Ryse did. Maybe it's because to a large degree because Hellblade found its audience. People primarily interested in the story and psychological themes, wheras Ryse was marketed as a AAA blockbuster and managed to attract a wider audience who might be looking for a "challenging" game, and they didn't find it in Ryse. The difference in reception between Hellblade and Ryse is very interesting in the sense, though, that every criticism I can think of towards Ryse also applies to Hellblade -- and Hellblade received so much adoration last year.

A sequel would've been amazing, still upset Crytek didn't go for it and you saw how things went for them afterwards.
The interesting problem with Ryse 2 is that Microsoft and Crytek had a falling out over IP ownership. I think Crytek made a horrible mistake. The rumour is that Microsoft were willing to fund Ryse 2 if Crytek would hand over the IP rights. Crytek, who themselves took control of TimeSplitters and have proceeded to do jack shit with it, refused. I'm not saying selling out to Microsoft is always a good idea, but there was a real streak of pride and arrogance that resulted in Crytek screwing up a relationship that could have granted them great stability.

Slightly off topic, but I really wish they'd work out some kind of deal to make Crysis backwards compatible on Xbox One. The Xbox 360 port of Crysis is really quite remarkable, and performance issues and a lack of marketing held it back. I also wish Crytek would work with Microsoft to bring TimeSplitters 2/3 to Backwards Compatibility. Crytek are the definitive example of a major company that does stupid things seemingly out of spite and arrogance. (Not to say they don't get unfairly bashed on some topics, but the TimeSplitters thing is glaring corporate dumbness.)

Repetitive gameplay aside, the story is the reason this game should be vilified. It's the perfect example of why games are STILL so mocked as an art form. Because a developer can take a setting like the Roman campaign in Britain and opt to ignore absolutely all historical accuracy in favor of making a stabby stabby dumb dumb vidya gamer bloodbath. Literally some of the greatest historical stories and events in the world, and they ignore all of it in favor of Boudicca on war elephants. Triggers me whenever a gamer praises this story because it just cements the view that gamers wouldn't appreciate a good historical adventure anyway.
I don't see film mocked as a medium just because alternate history movies exist.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I enjoyed the story quite a bit and the gameplay was fun if a little repetitive, it was one of the better launch games of this generation.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I felt bad for the devs when it released. The toxicity of some gamers knows no bounds. It was fun and beautiful.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Ryse was a very good game, but people often expect too much from launch titles (Kameo was another victim of those heightened expectations), and it also came out at the time when it was fashionable to put down anything related to Xbox.

It didn't have the deepest combat system, but it was a compelling throwback to the simplicity of classic arcade brawlers, and on the highest difficulty setting it was no pushover.

I especially enjoyed the story, which is not something that I expected from Crytek. There were no monsters or any such fanciful stuff, just a touch of supernatural that made perfect sense in the context of the Roman mythology, along the lines of what we've also seen in Gladiator. The supporting characters were great, I've really come to like Vitallion and Boudica, and the ending was appropriately heroic. Despite of everything, Marius was never painted as a larger than life character, he was just a soldier who was wronged, and who cared more about Rome and what it represented than those ruling it.

A lovely game, and as much as I'd like to play a sequel, it doesn't need one.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of game I would play for a week, not play for a few days and then never pick it back up again.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ryse was a very good game, but people often expect too much from launch titles (Kameo was another victim of those heightened expectations), and it also came out at the time when it was fashionable to put down anything related to Xbox.

It didn't have the deepest combat system, but it was a compelling throwback to the simplicity of classic arcade brawlers, and on the highest difficulty setting it was no pushover.

I especially enjoyed the story, which is not something that I expected from Crytek. There were no monsters or any such fanciful stuff, just a touch of supernatural that made perfect sense in the context of the Roman mythology, along the lines of what we've also seen in Gladiator. The supporting characters were great, I've really come to like Vitallion and Boudica, and the ending was appropriately heroic. Despite of everything, Marius was never painted as a larger than life character, he was just a soldier who was wronged, and who cared more about Rome and what it represented than those ruling it.

A lovely game, and as much as I'd like to play a sequel, it doesn't need one.

Kameo was actually a good game through.

Ryse is a glorified tech demo that practically plays itself. If you like Those types of experiences then fine but please don't try and throw better games in the same trash bin in an attempt to try and elevate it to something it isn't.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i didn't like it my self, but i wished they didn't cancel the sequel.
I really wanted to see what Todd Papy could do with it.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Just like The Order, it's not a terrible game, just extremely bland in everything except graphics.

Battlehenkie

Mar 7, 2018
Just like The Order, it's not a terrible game, just extremely bland in everything except graphics.

Eh, I don't agree. I thought Ryse's combat felt meaty and was pretty enjoyable. Definitely took more than a page out of GoW's book though. The story isn't fantastic, but its honestly already better than -for instance- BoTW's.. and that game is being praised as a masterpiece. Sometimes I don't understand people.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I finished this game (which says a lot) and enjoyed it. Mostly because I l love and adore ancient Rome :)

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
The game is actually deeper than it seems. When you start it (especially at medium/low difficulty), it feels like mindless button mashing, but you realize there's some strategy to the timed parries, pilum throwing and combo system. I think multiplayer is a good way to learn the details of the gameplay, and when you play in legendary difficulty you definitely need to master it, since the game becomes much less lenient on timing. It's like in Bayonetta when they disable automatic Witch Time, it feels like you've been playing with training wheels until then.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Gross, really? Boudicca sieging Rome with War elephants, a staple in Celtic Britain warfare. And the Emperor Nero's infamous death as he took his own life surrounded by the few servants he could find for lack of friends, with his last words "what an artist dies with me" so beautifully recreated.

I guess lots of gamers - including myself - really don't mind if a game isn't historical correct. It's a fictional over-the-top story based on historical events like many other games and movies have.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate a good historical adventure, but I don't expect that in arcade-like games like Ryse.

I would say "yes", with caveats. They're not quite mechanically the same, but they play loosely similar. Basically 1-2 enemy types, very generous stun locking, and the game literally screaming at you to dodge any time you're in any possible danger of being hurt. They're certainly the closest games, genre-wise. The difference with Hellblade is that a vocal minority hated the game and called it "barely a game" and stuff like that. But it never attracted the kind of vitriol that Ryse did. Maybe it's because to a large degree because Hellblade found its audience. People primarily interested in the story and psychological themes, wheras Ryse was marketed as a AAA blockbuster and managed to attract a wider audience who might be looking for a "challenging" game, and they didn't find it in Ryse. The difference in reception between Hellblade and Ryse is very interesting in the sense, though, that every criticism I can think of towards Ryse also applies to Hellblade -- and Hellblade received so much adoration last year.

Hellblade has 89% positive reviews on Steam and Ryse 81%, so it seems they both found their audience. But yeah, I've also seen much more people praising Hellblade than Ryse. And your analysis makes a lot of sense. Ryse had a huge marketing campaign with impressive trailers thanks to it's amazing graphics, but it wasn't what I expected at all.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Got it alongside my Xbox One at launch and very much enjoyed it. The coop mode was pretty fun as well. The game looked stunning back then, and is still a looker. I absolutely loved the setting as well.

It's one of the games I would really want a sequel for as there are some things which I feel could be fixed and would massively improve the game. More enemy and weapon variety is one of the more obvious things as well as a bit deeper combat system.