• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loved the game from start to finish. The combat might not be as deep as certain other games, but the finishers are really something special.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I think with one year more work on the combat it could relly have been a classic and the start of a franchise.
In the state it was released, no it was not. I'd say I did enjoy it to some degree but it was clearly very far from what it could have been.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so by your definition Big rigs is enjoyable. I can "play" it

So you are telling me its impossible for someone to enjoy that game? I can bet some kid, some old guy that used to drive trucks, or someone actually enjoys this no matter how shitty you think of it. I mean we are in a thread about Ryse being "enjoyable" which is considered by most as a bellow average game so what gives?

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I really want a sequel, but to be honest the game isn't that distinct in style or mechanics.

What is stopping MS from just making a game set in Rome? What benefit do they get from buying the IP if Crytek doesn't want to make a sequel?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Beat the game a few times near launch and had a good time with it. I thought it became more fun on the hardest difficulty, where you had to strategically choose which resource you needed when performing finishers.

It wasn't super deep, but there's a lot of untapped potential there in my opinion.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
So you are telling me its impossible for someone to enjoy that game? I can bet some kid, some old guy that used to drive trucks, or someone actually enjoys this no matter how shitty you think of it. I mean we are in a thread about Ryse being "enjoyable" which is considered by most as a bellow average game so what gives?
i am not talking about a genre or type of games that appeal to certain people. Did you at least glance at the video?
You cannot finish a mission cause collision does not work. the truck goes through the road. It's just unplayable, not because you might not like this type of game, the game is just technically broken.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I played this on PC, and it was a nice experience, very good looking graphics, story > whatever, combat was kinda repetitive, but not that "bad" at all.

This game deserves a sequel... just take all the feedback from the first one and DO IT!

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I agree, finished the game for the first time last week . A solid 7 in my book . Then again I bought for 7.5$ I don't think it is worth full price. Also the game is unbelievably gorgeous even at 900p , can't believe this is a launch title.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bought it at launch with the XBOne and was the first game that looked next gen for me. I liked it, and would play a sequel.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
really?
Why didn't they sell it?
Rumor was they were working on the details to fund Ryse 2. The issues in question are related to intellectual property and apparently Microsoft agreed to fund Ryse 2 but only if they could buy the Ryse IP from Crytek as well. Crytek just didn't want to sell even with how bad they were financially.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People that seriously trash it haven't played it. It's a fun short game. Has it's issues but they're small things overall. The multiplayer was surprisingly good, too. A little more fleshing out in the sequel would have been amazing.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i am not talking about a genre or type of games that appeal to certain people. Did you at least glance at the video?
You cannot finish a mission cause collision does not work. the truck goes through the road. It's just unplayable, not because you might not like this type of game, the game is just technically broken.
It can still be enjoyed by people that dont even know games or kids that just want to drive forward. How many gatcha games dont make people spend shitton on money on stuff I bet you would consider not being enjoyable. That term is completely subjective and people sometimes enjoy moving shit with a stick.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It can still be enjoyed by people that dont even know games or kids that just want to drive forward. How many gatcha games dont make people spend shitton on money on stuff I bet you would consider not being enjoyable. That term is completely subjective and people sometimes enjoy moving shit with a stick.

People can enjoy looking at walls all day and that still doesnt make walls a form of entertainment. This is a non argument.

Sahand

Oct 28, 2017
It is the worst Xbox one exclusive I've played. Shallow story and narrative. Hilarious writing and voice acting. Combat is even worse than some PS1 games with you only pressing x and y countless times and then execution move. No diversity no depth no feeling of accomplishment.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious writing and voice acting.
Wot you smoking? Ryse's acting is spectacular.

What specifically is "hilarious" about this? This is absolutely top notch stuff. The cinematography. The visuals. The music. The acting in this scene is arguably some of the best in the medium. The facial animation has been surpassed by Hellblade, but it still holds up very well. The entire scene -- and many scenes like it -- has fantastic writing and fantastic acting and it's exceptionally well shot. Did we play the same game?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It was okay, like a high 5 low 6 on my scale, I wonder what the Assassin's Creed 2 version of Ryse would've looked like as in how great AC2 was compared to AC1

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's one of the most underrated games this gen. I played through it multiple times and had a blast online with friends. Plus this was a freakin launch game! It's got its flaws, but it's still pretty fun to play. Graphics are amazing and still hold up like OP said. It could definitely use an X enhancement and then it'd be absolutely gorgeous! Hope you enjoy your time with it OP, it's great. :D

hexanaut

Dec 6, 2017
The worst thing about it for me was that it did such a poor job telling actual Roman history.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People can enjoy looking at walls all day and that still doesnt make walls a form of entertainment. This is a non argument.
Difference is we are not talking about a wall but an actual functional game (hey you can drive forward) and it at least has sounds.

When I was a kid I used to enjoy some driving loop game that was on a plastic device.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great launch title that fell victim to fallout over Xbox One's announcement fiasco. The hate for the this game was ridiculous.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Ryse is just dull. No character or personality in its story or gameplay.

I just found it boring from start to finish which is a shame because I wanted to like it.
This is exactly why I think it could have been something special had it got the sequel treatment. Shame what happened to Crytek after that.

Does MS own this IP?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
really?
Why didn't they sell it?

Rumor was they were working on the details to fund Ryse 2. The issues in question are related to intellectual property and apparently Microsoft agreed to fund Ryse 2 but only if they could buy the Ryse IP from Crytek as well. Crytek just didn't want to sell even with how bad they were financially.

That may be true, but Cevat Yerli tells a different version of the story:

Eurogamer said:
We've heard you had the option to do Ryse 2 with Microsoft, but they wanted ownership of the IP, but you didn't want to let it go. The collapse of that deal seems to be one of the things that sparked the financial problems Crytek has had.

Cevat Yerli: No. We have a good relationship with Microsoft. We are constantly looking at what we can do together. We are not 100 per cent happy with Xbox One sales right now. So we want to wait till the current gen and next gen catches up. For Ryse 2, we aren't saying it's cancelled. It's our IP. It just has to wait for the right timing. And the right timing means higher installed base across next-gen.

Does it have to be an Xbox exclusive, or can you release it on PlayStation? Can you find another publisher, or does Microsoft have to publish it?

Cevat Yerli: No. We can do whatever we want with it with whoever we want.

So what's stopping you from trying to find a publisher for a sequel?

Cevat Yerli: Focus and attention. I'm not saying it's not going to happen. Look, Ryse was maybe not the best rated game, but what we achieved for launch was a great foundation for us to build up. I know there are a lot of gamers who are contacting me through different channels who want to see Ryse 2. There is a lot of positive feedback. We're considering it. But at this point there is nothing official I can talk about.

Sahand

Oct 28, 2017
Wot you smoking? Ryse's acting is spectacular.

What specifically is "hilarious" about this? This is absolutely top notch stuff. The cinematography. The visuals. The music. The acting in this scene is arguably some of the best in the medium. The facial animation has been surpassed by Hellblade, but it still holds up very well. The entire scene -- and many scenes like it -- has fantastic writing and fantastic acting and it's exceptionally well shot. Did we play the same game?

No one argued about technical stuff. (Facial animation, gfx, etc.) The actual writing and voice acting isn't effective and impactful comparing to other "serious" games. It's like B movies.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Call me crazy, but I even enjoyed the combat. Story was somewhat sloppy but serviceable. I liked upgrading the skills and liked the game overall, it didn't deserve the negativity.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one argued about technical stuff. (Facial animation, gfx, etc.) The actual writing and voice acting isn't effective and impactful comparing to other "serious" games. It's like B movies.
The voice acting is among the best the games industry has ever seen/heard. This is about as good as videogame acting gets. The combination of fantastic voice acting, amazing animation, and sharp writing.

"HOW DARE YOU!"
*regains composure*
*drops voice*
"How."
"Dare."
"You."

Ryse is a go-to example of the best acting videogames have to offer. IMO, its acting easily stands alongside the classic sword and sandal films it draws influence from.

Last edited:

Sahand

Oct 28, 2017
The voice acting is among the best the games industry has ever seen/heard. This is about as good as videogame acting gets. The combination of fantastic voice acting, amazing animation, and sharp writing.

"HOW DARE YOU!"
*regains composure*
*drops voice*
"How."
"Dare."
"You."

Ryse is a go-to example of the best acting videogames have to offer. IMO, its acting easily stands alongside the classic sword and sandal films it draws influence from.
For me it was so fake and soulless. Couldn't take it serious for a sec.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just watching those cutscenes now, holy hell it still holds up. Man this game didn't deserve the hate. Sure it may not have been amazing but the fact it still holds up is a sentiment of how amazing it actually did look.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Was very meh game. It's ok time waster but besides graphics it had nothing special. Order 1886 is also the same but alas it had great setting and vastly superior voice acting

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it was so fake and soulless. Couldn't take it serious for a sec.
I have to ask, do you like the sword and sandal genre? Ben Hur, Spartacus, The Robe, Ten Commandments, stuff like that? Even stuff like I Claudius? Because to me, Ryse is a modern fantasy-infused version of that genre. Like a hybrid of the more classic films mixed with more contemporary versions such as Gladiator.

I can understand not liking Ryse's gameplay or the actual meat of the plot, but the acting in Ryse is pitch perfect, IMO. What makes it "fake" and "soulless"?

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
it's decent enough, but it does feel pretty dated playing it now...the turret sections are so hopeless

Sahand

Oct 28, 2017
I have to ask, do you like the sword and sandal genre? Ben Hur, Spartacus, The Robe, Ten Commandments, stuff like that? Even stuff like I Claudius? Because to me, Ryse is a modern fantasy-infused version of that genre. Like a hybrid of the more classic films mixed with more contemporary versions such as Gladiator.

I can understand not liking Ryse's gameplay or the actual meat of the plot, but the acting in Ryse is pitch perfect, IMO. What makes it "fake" and "soulless"?

Yeah I love those stuff. What makes it soulless and fake for me is that I just can't get the context of the story, character development is really bad through the game therefore I just can't take what they're saying or doing serious tbh.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed that game. Was hesitant to buy it for some not outstanding reviews. Gave it a go, was like blowned away for its fun factor, visual, it was the best looking current gen for some time.

Its a game i will still play once in a while for sure. If you havent llayed it, its a game you can grab for cheap on X1 , totally will worth the money.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really liking the positive vibe around the game nowadays. It really was a good game, and definetly one of the better Xbox exclusives. It felt like it was a call of duty singleplayer mode set in ancient Rome.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot. Not a ton of variety but a solid combat system. Beating the game on legendary was fun.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
It was a very good game and i think like a lot of Xbox One exclusives its appreciation has grown over time!

Would love a sequel!

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Great graphics.
Great story and acting.
Lots of fun to play.

That's all I need. I don't care that it didnt check arbitrary boxes regarding "deepness" or whatever.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
I really enjoyed it, played it start to finish on release. Even sold my disk copy and bought it digital when on sale so i can play it again. Would have loved another game. Stroy was really good and graphics superb. Only played it on the hardest difficulty though which i think is the best way.