• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

December 8th, 8PM JST.

Will look back at the series' 15 year history, and announce the future of the series.

Last edited:

Seregil

Oct 25, 2017
Would there be any possible Judgment announcement here or is that considered separate from RGG games?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That team does not take a break lol.

So happy they have been receiving more recognition. Can't wait to hear what's next.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
The PS3 got Kenzan as first Yakuza game, the PS4 got Ishin in the beginning. So it's time for a new samurai spin-off for PS5.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Think we will get a few annoucements

New Mobile Game
Yakuza 8 confirmed to be in development NEXT Gen Only. (Dont think this will happen will be multi gen for at least two years)
Spin off game ala Judgement 2 or a spin off game

J75

Sep 29, 2018
A Judgment 2 would be amazing but I don't see that happening.

Gonna go with a 3rd samurai spin-off starring a Ichiban counterpart.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
They never been so late to announce a new game.

Usually, a new game comes every december.

But between covid and western release of Yakuaz 7 Like a Dragon they put a LOT of effort into, its understandable they didn't want to steal the show.

Still, no clue as of what next :

like a dragon 2 / Yakuza 8 ?
Judgement 2 ?
Another Period Yakuza with Ichiban and his crew ?
Ishin PC / Xbox / PS4 localized for surfing on Tsushima's success ?

All bets are open

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza 8: Like a Tiger, Judgment 2, new remaster, City ga Gotoku (City Hunter)...

Anything from that studio is and will be good.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Hope for some kind of period next gen exclusive spin off to get the new engine ready like they usually do. Fuedal Japan we've probably seen enough of - how about Taisho period Kamurocho and get on that Demon Slayer train?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
new kiryu (action again, not turn based rpg) mainline game or new judgement are my hopes

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I only expect some news about their online game (anniversary event or something).

Judgement on xbox series is highly probable as well i think.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Judgment is my favourite RGG game so I hope they announce a sequel. Maybe a teaser of yakuza 8.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
new kiryu (action again, not turn based rpg) mainline game or new judgement are my hopes
Heck no. Kiryu should be left alone for one of the many other characters to shine in the series, he's had enough spotlight already. Akiyama should finally get his time to shine (as 5 literally set up at the end of his part of the game... such a tease).

Just to crush some hopes in this thread:
"Xbox ports" - these won't be announced on a Japanese stream. Remember 7 isn't even getting a Xbox release in Japan right now. And ports/remasters of the series always sell less. So Xbox ports = Wii U RGG1&2 levels of sales. These will be announced elsewhere.

"Kurohyou 1&2 aka Black Panther" - Literally the lowest rated games in a recent popularity poll done after 7's release (which incidentally, 7 came out top, so in case people were hoping turn based stuff disappears any time soon...)
Heck, Tatsuya doesn't even have a card in RGG Online, and Nagoshi just got added to the game recently. Its a pity, those games are actually really fucking good, especially on the PSP when you consider the technical restraints they were up against (and they run in 60FPS as well, something many of the games at the time or even now can't boast!)
I would be weary of such remakes from RGGS though, they could potentially ruin several things that make the games good - namely if they decide to change the combat to Dragon Engine, it'll ruin the awesome Yukes combat we got (feels JUST like Def Jam etc. and it works so well). Also, the cutscenes which were awesome comic book scenes (think MGS Peace Walker) might be redone. I really don't want that either as they work so damn well to reflect the style of the characters.

My hopes:
NEW games. Don't care what the gameplay is, could be RPG, fighting, or exactly what 13 Sentinels did. Just make them brand new games. No remasters, no ports, no remakes that butcher aspects of the original games... Judge Eyes and RGG7 are the two best games in the series in ages and I want more new stuff like those.

As to what those new games might be?
Well a new samurai game would be awesome, with Ichiban starring of course. Make it more like Kenzan though - less returning characters and more original characters especially as Ichiban only had one game to himself so far.

A new "dream match" spinoff game. Basically something like Dead Souls that brings back tons of characters in a non canonical plot - Ichiban, Nishiki, Tanimura, Shinada etc. all teaming up would be weird and wonderful. Maybe they can finally give people what they want and make a Sukeban Haruka...

A new mainline game starring Ichiban (can you tell I like Ichiban?) - its gotta be turn based though.

A new mainline game starring at least Akiyama that doesnt short change him on screentime this time (and bring back Hana)

And... well, Yokoyama tweeting out something yesterday and deleted it. Just dropping this in here (I doubt its real):

FB_IMG_1605817980463.jpg

Young Watase prequel? Amazing if real, day 1.

Oh, forgot about the online game as well. They'll announce it'll get shut down. That thing is on its last legs with how little effort is put into it. Frankly I'm amazed its not dead already.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
All the other missing ports can get announced there. Curious about the next new game, if it's about Ichiban or some prequel.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Well...

www.resetera.com

Toshihiro Nagoshi Interview - Involved with the Hollywood live action Yakuza movie, Kiryu in a fighting game, more..

Hello Era, I had the opportunity to interview Nagoshi-san a few days ago (the picture is from the internet, not from myself), and i though some of his answers were really interesting, so i'll try to translate some of these for ERA. I'm really happy about this because i've been a Yakuza fan for...

Kazuma had a really great "send-off" at the end of Yakuza 6. Did you really planned to not use Kiryu anymore, or was it clear from the start that he would be in Yakuza : Like a Dragon ?

We originally didn't plan for Kazuma Kiryu to appear in the game. However, since RPGs are a genre in which players can really experience growth and development as they play, we felt it became necessary to feature a moment where they could experience a specific growth through some kind of emotional reaction to Ichiban Kasuga fighting Kiryu.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's a Japanese stream, expect absolutely nothing. That said, it's always funny when people on here watch and get disappointed like it doesn't happen every time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Japanese stream, expect absolutely nothing. That said, it's always funny when people on here watch and get disappointed like it doesn't happen every time.
Anyone else here remember the really weird June/July 2019 (I think that was the date) stream which promised RGG7 news, but was some weird shit with a dude tied up? I forget the exact details, only the reactions here were hilarious. Worth noting though that they do announce new stuff via streams though - quite a few times actually. Remember the Ishin stream? Or the stream that announced Kiwami 2, FOTNS, and "Shin" Yakuza? (and introducing Ichiban). Its not uncommon, but some of the requests in this thread are rather funny (mainly the port/Xbox talk). I don't expect anything I mentioned to pop up, but its fun to speculate.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I expect a new spinoff and maybe a tease for Y8, even if it's just saying that it's happening eventually. But they could do a million things from here so who knows. Judgment 2 would be cool but they might not do that on this stream.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Anyone else here remember the really weird June/July 2019 (I think that was the date) stream which promised RGG7 news, but was some weird shit with a dude tied up? I forget the exact details, only the reactions here were hilarious. Worth noting though that they do announce new stuff via streams though - quite a few times actually. Remember the Ishin stream? Or the stream that announced Kiwami 2, FOTNS, and "Shin" Yakuza? (and introducing Ichiban). Its not uncommon, but some of the requests in this thread are rather funny (mainly the port/Xbox talk). I don't expect anything I mentioned to pop up, but its fun to speculate.
Yeah I remember that stream. I enjoyed watching people's absolute confusion.

You're right they do actually announce stuff sometimes, they're honestly better than most Japanese streams, but it's probably better not to raise anyone's expectations lol

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I know Online is not canon/any indication of the series future, but a non canon game based on the Ryuji story they did would be fun.

Otherwise announce 8 please or maybe they'll detail the PS5 version of 7 for the Japanese market.

I assume they'll do cross gen for a few titles like they did with Ishin/Zero/Kiwami 1.

Last edited:

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I kinda hope they give us an update on why some Asia regions still haven't got Like a Dragon on Steam. I just wanna buy it :(

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Right now the possibilities are: Yakuza 0-2, Judgement 2, Yakuza Kenzan Kiwami, Yakuza Ishin localization, Yakuza 8, Yakuza Dead Souls Remastered and/or Kurohyou Collection Remake. They could take the Yakuza formula to another franchise as well, pure Fist of the North Star-style

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't remaking Kenzan/Ishin like they said, my bet is that like PS3 and PS4, they will open the generation with a Meji period game, only that this time it will have a "Kiwami 2 Chapter Majima" scenario that will take us back to the Edo and Bakumatsu era.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'll pretty much buy anything RGG Studio make at this point. I've loved all of the games I've played so far, and I think I now have every game that has released in the UK across Yakuza, Judgment and Fist of the North Star - some multiple times.

I know some didn't like the new combat in Like a Dragon, but I enjoyed it. Whichever approach they choose in the future, I'm interested to see what they make.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is Yakuza 0 2. There's a lot of time between 88 and 95 that could be explored.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Kiryu's arc has been brought to a very satisfying close with Yakuza 6 (nearly as good as Y0, which makes for very nice bookends to his arc), so personally I think it'd be a pretty big misstep to bring him back as protagonist.

I'm optimistic about Judgment getting a sequel though. Presumably they've been working on something since Yakuza 7's Japanese release, and I think they'd probably want to gauge its western reception before forging ahead with a turn-based Yakuza 8... Judgment 2 would be a good interrim title. Though if their claims of suddenly pivoting Y7 into an RPG in response to the positive reception of the April Fools day vid are true, I suppose they could've easily pivoted Y8 into a brawler if 7 was received poorly in the west...

My guess is Yakuza 0 2. There's a lot of time between 88 and 95 that could be explored.

Part of the fun of Yakuza 0 was the old time period, and personally I think it'd be more fun to go the other direction... I'd love to see some Yakuza titles set in the 50s-70s

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has just now fallen deep into the Yakuza rabbit hole, I'd really love to be see 3-6 make its way over to places where only 0-2 and 7 are available. I hear that Judgment game is good too. That's the one where you play as Judgment Kazzy right? 👀

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Right now the possibilities are: Yakuza 0-2, Judgement 2, Yakuza Kenzan Kiwami, Yakuza Ishin localization, Yakuza 8, Yakuza Dead Souls Remastered and/or Kurohyou Collection Remake. They could take the Yakuza formula to another franchise as well, pure Fist of the North Star-style

Most of those shouldn't even be possibilities though. 0-2 really has little basis to happen from a plot perspective, it'd suck to see yet another "oh they aren't actually Yakuza because "blank" story, and Kiryu really has no more story to tell. Kenzan Kiwami would suck in several ways if Kiwami 2 is anything to go by so that should really never be allowed to happen, Ishin localisation won't be announced in a Japanese stream about the series, Dead Souls and Kurohyou are so unpopular that neither will happen, as I already pointed out, the Kurohyou series is super forgotten about and Dead Souls has very little excitement behind it if they look worldwide seeing as how it basically killed the series off over here for several years before.

So that leaves Judge Eyes 2 really. 8 will happen but its probably too early to get any substantial info about it. Kenzan could get remade, I'm just really banking on that never happening.

If they aren't remaking Kenzan/Ishin like they said, my bet is that like PS3 and PS4, they will open the generation with a Meji period game, only that this time it will have a "Kiwami 2 Chapter Majima" scenario that will take us back to the Edo and Bakumatsu era.
At no point did an Ishin remake ever get talked about... its not even an old game. Its just one year older than 0 and people seem to love that game just fine. It only needs localising at most. Certainly shouldn't have resources wasted remaking it for no good reason.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Most of those shouldn't even be possibilities though. 0-2 really has little basis to happen from a plot perspective, it'd suck to see yet another "oh they aren't actually Yakuza because "blank" story, and Kiryu really has no more story to tell. Kenzan Kiwami would suck in several ways if Kiwami 2 is anything to go by so that should really never be allowed to happen, Ishin localisation won't be announced in a Japanese stream about the series, Dead Souls and Kurohyou are so unpopular that neither will happen, as I already pointed out, the Kurohyou series is super forgotten about and Dead Souls has very little excitement behind it if they look worldwide seeing as how it basically killed the series off over here for several years before.

So that leaves Judge Eyes 2 really. 8 will happen but its probably too early to get any substantial info about it. Kenzan could get remade, I'm just really banking on that never happening.

At no point did an Ishin remake ever get talked about... its not even an old game. Its just one year older than 0 and people seem to love that game just fine. It only needs localising at most. Certainly shouldn't have resources wasted remaking it for no good reason.

Yeah. Ishin does not need a remake, just a port/cleanup. Kenzan would need a lot of work because it was the demo for the original PS3 Yakuza engine and that engine has aged hard since, but Ishin and 0 are basically the final evolution of that format.

Also speaking honestly Kenzan's story is just so weird and all the Not-Haruka stuff is just uncomfortable. Better to leave that one in the past. It doesn't really click with the franchise's current identity.