• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.facebook.com/ueda.ryuta

I have decided to resign from Yahoo Japan and return to my old company, Sega. I am very grateful for the many people I met and the many lessons I learned through various projects at Yahoo!
From now on, I will focus on making games again. Not only do I feel the excitement of making things, but I am also smiling a little at the thought of seeing old friends and meeting new people. I would like to fully demonstrate what I have cultivated through experience.
PS: I'm going to try to update my Facebook page a bit more. Oh, and if you have any questions like "What do you make? I can't answer questions like "What are you making?
Also, the photo has nothing to do with the main text (Makai no ranch, Shizuoka Prefecture).

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

From his facebook.

It's interresting. He was the one who came up with concept and overall look and feel of Jet Set Radio. Then he worked on Yakuza games, like other members of the JSR team. He didn't want to be stuck on making Yakuza games, so he made the distinctive Rise of Nightmare, an adult game for Kinect. Then he followed his former superior Masayoshi Kikuchi (director of JSR) to make mobile games. The last game he was involved in was the mobile game Demon Tribe, where he and Kikuchi worked together like in the old JSR/Yakuza days.

He left games for a while do work at Yahoo.

We don't know in which capacity he is involved with Sega. Going back to mobile games? Doing advisory work, training new employees? We all know we want a new console game that is fueled with the creativity of Jet Set Radio. Maybe he has ideas.

We know more if Monkey Ball Banana Mania has credits for supervising guest characters, and if he is supervising Beat's inclusion like he did in the Sega All-Stars game, it's likely he is an active game development role again.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
just in time to replace Nagoshi as the head of Yakuza!
You do realise Nagoshi is more a public face of the team, and not the head of Yakuza right? Because aside from helping to write Judge Eyes back in 2018, he's really had not a huge level of involvement on the series and instead a number of other very talented people now work on the series (heck, the dude who originally designed the Karaoke mini game ended up as director on 7 - which is quite the meteoric rise).

Ueda did an absolutely amazing job with JSR and RGG1&2, so I kinda want to see what he could bring to the series these days, though I feel that might sorta defeat the purpose of why he left in the first place. Doubt current day Sega would be charitable enough to greenlight another JSR though...

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-return.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
You do realise Nagoshi is more a public face of the team, and not the head of Yakuza right? Because aside from helping to write Judge Eyes back in 2018, he's really had not a huge level of involvement on the series and instead a number of other very talented people now work on the series (heck, the dude who originally designed the Karaoke mini game ended up as director on 7 - which is quite the meteoric rise).

Ueda did an absolutely amazing job with JSR and RGG1&2, so I kinda want to see what he could bring to the series these days, though I feel that might sorta defeat the purpose of why he left in the first place. Doubt current day Sega would be charitable enough to greenlight another JSR though...

That is not the issue with Nagoshi leaving. The big issue is him signing up all these key people for his new studio. If only he left, I don't mind because there's more than one person who makes a game. But the fact he's leaving to form a new studio means definitely that he is going to come back to poach staff.

Apr 21, 2018
https://www.facebook.com/ueda.ryuta

From his facebook.

It's interresting. He was the one who came up with concept and overall look and feel of Jet Set Radio. Then he worked on Yakuza games, like other members of the JSR team. He didn't want to be stuck on making Yakuza games, so he made the distinctive Rise of Nightmare, an adult game for Kinect. Then he followed his former superior Masayoshi Kikuchi (director of JSR) to make mobile games. The last game he was involved in was the mobile game Demon Tribe, where he and Kikuchi worked together like in the old JSR/Yakuza days.

He left games for a while do work at Yahoo.

We don't know in which capacity he is involved with Sega. Going back to mobile games? Doing advisory work, training new employees? We all know we want a new console game that is fueled with the creativity of Jet Set Radio. Maybe he has ideas.

We know more if Monkey Ball Banana Mania has credits for supervising guest characters, and if he is supervising Beat's inclusion like he did in the Sega All-Stars game, it's likely he is an active game development role again.
Awesome news since he also worked on Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Saga, Orta, Yakuza Kenzan.

He could be useful for many revivals, remasters, remakes, sequels.