• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
What's new that AMD would suddenly be able to match single core performance of Intel at a lower clock? AMD has historically been at a IPC disadvantage haven't they?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
PS5 and the new Xboxes(even lockhart) are gonna blow the pants off the current gen in Pro and X just by the CPU jump alone, not even talking about the CPU, RAM or SSD improvements...we dont even have to consider original XBO or base PS4(the jump is gonna be extreme for me since i still have my launch day 500gb PS4 as my only current gen machine)

You could have a base PS4 with this CPU and achieve so much more than what a base machine is currently doing, that's how CPU limited current gen is

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 and the new Xboxes(even lockhart) are gonna blow the pants off the current gen in Pro and X just by the CPU jump alone, not even talking about the CPU, RAM or SSD improvements...we dont even have to consider original XBO or base PS4(the jump is gonna be extreme for me since i still have my launch day 500gb PS4 as my only current gen machine)

You could have a base PS4 with this CPU and achieve so much more than what a base machine is currently doing, that's how CPU limited current gen is
The same for me. I'm still rolling with base PS4 on a 1080p TV.

We not ready for the jump we're about to get. Next gen console + 4KTV + HDR = 🤤

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The same for me. I'm still rolling with base PS4 on a 1080p TV.

We not ready for the jump we're about to get. Next gen console + 4KTV + HDR = 🤤

i'm using my base machine on a 4K TV lol...i cant imagine what's next. what'll be neat will be to go back to games like nioh that are dynamically scaling based on load and see if they can hit their targets. i'd love to see a patch that allows for a 4K 60fps mode instead of just prioritizing one or the other

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to finally replacing my 3500k if this leak pans out/is legit.

Wonder what the mid-range is gonna be able to do.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Gonna stick with a 2700x since it works fine for the applications I use and I really doubt there's going to be many, if any, PC games that interest me released between now and sometime in 2022 where I'd need a better CPU than that for the performance I want, but it's good to see signs of a good leap in tech.

Nov 8, 2017
What's new that AMD would suddenly be able to match single core performance of Intel at a lower clock? AMD has historically been at a IPC disadvantage haven't they?

IPC isn't actually that far behind for Ryzen 1000/2000 series CPUs. The main differentiator has been that Intel has been able to sustain higher clock-speeds, resulting in higher single threaded performance. With a new process node AMD might be able to bridge most or all of the single-threaded performance gap, while retaining/extending their multi-threaded lead, but we can't confirm that beyond doubt until reviews hit.

The two main things here are the 7nm process node to help density increase and keep down power/heat (i.e. higher clocks in theory), as well as whatever IPC improvements they made to their architecture since Zen 1 cores released.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for a laptop upgrade. Can't wait to see the U series benchmarks.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still rocking an i5-4690k, I'll seriously consider the upgrade once this comes out if it's as promising as these initial looks are.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
For people wondering the exact time of the AMD COMPUTEX 2019 Keynote:

t1558926000z4.png
Thanks for posting this, can't wait!

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
1600X ---> 3600X is looking to be a worthwhile upgrade. Not having to replace my MB would be really really nice.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Almost jumped on a 2600x + x470 for like 270 USD.

Kinda wish I had, but then again, I've got no problems waiting for Ryzen 3xxx

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting on this for my next build. Timing just seems to land just right, the rumors have been smoking and smoking and smoking, lol

Jesus if the 12c24t 5ghz chip is real dude... thats just going to be gross. Intel going to be in bad shape for a while.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Should always be careful with early benchmarks & "leaks" AMD especially has a track record of leaks being amazing but the final product not so much.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't believe the lowest next gen tier is more powerful than the highest last gen tier.
Lisa su aims for small achievable gains.
This is pipedreaming.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
IPC isn't actually that far behind for Ryzen 1000/2000 series CPUs. The main differentiator has been that Intel has been able to sustain higher clock-speeds, resulting in higher single threaded performance. With a new process node AMD might be able to bridge most or all of the single-threaded performance gap, while retaining/extending their multi-threaded lead, but we can't confirm that beyond doubt until reviews hit.

The two main things here are the 7nm process node to help density increase and keep down power/heat (i.e. higher clocks in theory), as well as whatever IPC improvements they made to their architecture since Zen 1 cores released.
Not saying they can't reinvent the wheel, but typically, adding cores makes sustaining higher clocks more difficult

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just told a buddy of mine the other day that I'd probably just run my 4770k into the ground before I upgrade, unless AMD/Intel had something at like $150 that was outright faster in the near future

But now it might be $99? Sign me up lmao

New MB + DDR4 Ram too. I too have a 4770k and I really don't know what to do lol. I've been Intel since my very first gaming computer with a first gen i7. Then again I've only had that and when the GPU on that machine died, built a new system with the 4770k.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
I doubt I'll be able to hold back from upgrading my CPU, and while I hope I can retain my board, I should've picked a better board for overclocking.

Can't wait to see where AMD takes us

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I won't get anything for my 6700k, will I?
You might be better off just keeping it. If your rig is just for gaming, 4 cores with HT will probably still be okay for a while yet. I'm still running a 4-core 4670 at stock speeds and it's fine for 95% of my games.

I do feel bad for Skylake buyers who want to resell. Having both Ryzen and 6-core Intel cheaps releasing shortly after upgrading would sting. I know a mate of mine was absolutely pissed about it but I don't think anybody could have predicted how decent the Ryzen chips were going to be.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
You might be better off just keeping it. If your rig is just for gaming, 4 cores with HT will probably still be okay for a while yet. I'm still running a 4-core 4670 at stock speeds and it's fine for 95% of my games.

I do feel bad for Skylake buyers who want to resell. Having both Ryzen and 6-core Intel cheaps releasing shortly after upgrading would sting. I know a mate of mine was absolutely pissed about it but I don't think anybody could have predicted how decent the Ryzen chips were going to be.
You must be thinking of Kaby Lake. Skylake came out 2 years before Coffee Lake. Ryzen was about a year and a half after Skylake.