• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
this one wont cost only 99$, why should amd do so low prices? it will probably be like ryzen 1 launch

Well the leaks are saying that the 6c/12t CPU will be one of cheapest variants similar in price to the Ryzen 1400x and the high end will be in the 12c/24t to 16c/32t range but we might not see them until later in the year.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
Well the leaks are saying that the 6c/12t CPU will be one of cheapest variants similar in price to the Ryzen 1400x and the high end will be in the 12c/24t to 16c/32t range but we might not see them until later in the year.
This also applies to the Navi rumors, but leaked prices way ahead of launch are almost always bullshit. I expect Zen 2's prices to be roughly similar to the 2000 series, maybe a bit cheaper. Expecting something like $100 for a 6C and $200 for the 8C is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the price of AMDs offerings I'm really thinking about trying to sell my 8600k with its board off and jumping on these.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This also applies to the Navi rumors, but leaked prices way ahead of launch are almost always bullshit. I expect Zen 2's prices to be roughly similar to the 2000 series, maybe a bit cheaper. Expecting something like $100 for a 6C and $200 for the 8C is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yeah, 66% price drop is just very very unrealistic. And would be stupid from AMD.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Tomorrow's showcase can't come soon enough!

Still running the i7 2600k from my last build back in 2011, for Skyrim and Battlefield 3. Lasted me an entire console generation, two years before the consoles even released. I'm betting high-end Zen 2 models will do the same for the PS5 gen. Very excited to finally build a new PC later this year =)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's not only about the core number. It's also about the denomination.

Ryzen 3 CPUs are between 100 to 150 dollars.
Ryzen 5 CPUs are between 200 to 250 dollars.
Ryzen 7 CPUs are between 300 and 350 dollars.

While I don't expect 100 dollars for 6 cores... I dont expect them to replace each others in term of pricing.
A Ryzen 3 CPU for 200 bucks would be too much. That'd put Ryzen 5 at 300, 7 at 400.

Nov 8, 2017
I see the bolded repeated so many times on tech news and sites and youtube videos, but I wonder how true it is in the real world. Because in real terms, what they want to say with that is 'it will perform better while encoding a video or generating a a render'. Which is basically the only thing that really used well 100% of big amount of cores. However, and this is my point, that ISN'T PRODUCTIVITY FOR >95% OF PEOPLE. As a minimum the terms is a misnomer.
Most people aren't video editors or 3d animators. For most people 'productivity means having open Outlook, Citrix, 1 Word, 3 excel files, Skype or Slack, 1 browser with half a dozen tabs, and maybe a pair more of miscellaneous applications. Maybe Visual Studio, if you work in IT. And obviously, you aren't going to really use simultaneously use 7-8 applications at the same time, you don't have enough hands for that, so the workload of that average user in an work environment is very different than encoding something in Premiere.

The truth is for most people, you'll be fine either way. If you aren't doing video encoding and the like, and aren't playing games above 60fps, then most of the time the best cpu for you is the cheapest one with enough power. The benchmarks are still useful though.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I personally wouldn't, I feel you'd be getting diminishing returns here the 8600k is still a great CPU for gaming

I know and I really don't want to, I'm just thinking about ZombieLoad or whatever these new exploits are called and the supposed "up to 15% loss of performance in certain workloads" that could happen. Aslong as these fixes don't impact gaming performance I'm fine but who knows if in the future some exploit is found where the fix would directly impact gaming performance, it would feel extra annoying to me as I'm now running 144hz.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'm going to have to pre-order. Have the feeling these are going to fly off the shelves.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for AMD releasing incredible shit so the prices go down. Shame about their gpu side but the CPU stuff has been great.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
ryzen should get another boost when eventually they add support for DDR5 in like 2 years. Memory bandwitdh is pretty big deal when dealing with many cores. It's even a bigger deal for their APUs. Those could become really viable systems that can game pretty well. Right now they perform a lot worse than what you should expect when considering CU counts. Memory is a big bottleneck. This platform should scale really well in the coming years.

Right now the boards have pretty bad and inconsistent XMP support. 4GHz is basically impossible to get right now but apparenty the new X570 boards can do that so this gen should perform better because of memory alone. Ryzen is demonstrated to scale pretty well with memory speed and now that they have 12 cores on mainstream product it's very needed.

Nov 8, 2017
I know and I really don't want to, I'm just thinking about ZombieLoad or whatever these new exploits are called and the supposed "up to 15% loss of performance in certain workloads" that could happen. Aslong as these fixes don't impact gaming performance I'm fine but who knows if in the future some exploit is found where the fix would directly impact gaming performance, it would feel extra annoying to me as I'm now running 144hz.

Empirical benchmarks have shown minimal gaming perf loss. But if we're thinking about long term, I'd be less worried about zombie load performance impacts and more about rising PC requirements now that the next gen consoles will have a CPU that is overall more powerful than the 8600 (6c 6t @ ~4.2ghz all core turbo vs 8c 16t @ 3.2-3.5 GHz).

Probably not a major issue until ~2022 onwards, ofc.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Empirical benchmarks have shown minimal gaming perf loss. But if we're thinking about long term, I'd be less worried about zombie load performance impacts and more about rising PC requirements now that the next gen consoles will have a CPU that is overall more powerful than the 8600 (6c 6t @ ~4.2ghz all core turbo vs 8c 16t @ 3.2-3.5 GHz).

He has an 8600k though, you can get that up to 5.0ghz and it's a noticeable bump over stock

Nov 8, 2017
He has an 8600k though, you can get that up to 5.0ghz and it's a noticeable bump over stock

Ah if he's at 5Ghz that's probably more viable for longer yeah. Time will tell, as always.

I do expect even people on 8700ks and 2700Xs will start feeling the burn when next-gen-only CPU heavy 30fps console games can only be run at ~40fps on their PC since I think a lot of us have become acustomed to overpowering everything up to 60fps, haha.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope these leaks are true. Zen Arch was really a game changer, if not we would be all still rocking in a 4c8t intel world.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Ah if he's at 5Ghz that's probably more viable for longer yeah. Time will tell, as always.

I do expect even people on 8700ks and 2700Xs will start feeling the burn when next-gen-only CPU heavy 30fps console games can only be run at ~40fps on their PC since I think a lot of us have become acustomed to overpowering everything up to 60fps, haha.
I think it might be wishful thinking that consoles are going to leapfrog PCs that much (or at all). I sincerely doubt these chips are going to be running at 4.0ghz+ in a console (or even 3ghz probably)

I'm playing stuff right now at 144hz that the 'Pro' consoles struggle to do 30 FPS in

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't that just happened with Coffee Lake?
Are you saying the current G or duo model or lower level I5 is beating out and I9 in single and multi-threaded performance?

But no I'm saying its much nicer to have your $300 processor blown out by a new gen lower end model. Than your I9 that was $700-900 lol

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

I think in real world gaming performance, the i5 8600 4Ghz>Ryzen 3600 3Ghz, 3 reasons
1. IPC & Clock Speeds, Intel is still king here (well for now)
2. Most devs don't multi thread efficiently (this is still true in 2019)
3. Diminishing returns, performance doesn't scale linearly with more cores, also PS5/X2 are likely to have 1-2 Cores disabled anyway.

We had this discussion last gen, people thought the PS4's 8 core CPU would beat an i5 due to double the core count & all PC gamers would need to get an 8 Core CPU.
But i will be fair & say Consoles are going to have a advantage CPU wise if DX12 & Vulkan do not get widespread usage on PC, DX11 is quite outdated.

Nov 8, 2017
I think it might be wishful thinking that consoles are going to leapfrog PCs that much (or at all). I sincerely doubt these chips are going to be running at 4.0ghz+ in a console (or even 3ghz probably)

I'm playing stuff right now at 144hz that the 'Pro' consoles struggle to do 30 FPS in

Well we have confirmation that it's 8 core Zen 2 (in PS5), and rumours are suggesting that it's somewhere in 3.2+ GHz territory. I don't expect it to be stronger than an 8700k, but I do expect that it won't be too far behind it in performance so long as the game is well threaded and taking full advantage of the core counts.

I guess if a full core (or heaven forbid, 2) is reserved for OS tasks, then this also cuts down on how much perf they have, but I'm thinking in general ballparks rather than specifics. I think it's not implausible that a game that really taxes the PS5/XBN CPUs and runs at 30hz won't necessarily reach 60hz on something like an 8700 or 2700X or similar, since although weaker, I doubt it will be under half.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible title, people are going to be expecting this as the 3300 when its actually the 3600. Then yall be like " why is AMD ripping me off?!"
If we go by the Adore leak, it only fits the Ryzen 3 3300. Same base clock and boost. R5 3600 clocked higher. Ofc things can change, as most things do. But so far the leak have been pretty much on point.
vwlolMN.png

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
It's not only about the core number. It's also about the denomination.

Ryzen 3 CPUs are between 100 to 150 dollars.
Ryzen 5 CPUs are between 200 to 250 dollars.
Ryzen 7 CPUs are between 300 and 350 dollars.

While I don't expect 100 dollars for 6 cores... I dont expect them to replace each others in term of pricing.
A Ryzen 3 CPU for 200 bucks would be too much. That'd put Ryzen 5 at 300, 7 at 400.
This is why I think things will stay roughly the same. The same core counts slot into the same tiers while the 12 and 16 core SKUs will go into a higher one (maybe a Ryzen 9) at like $400-600 or even $700 for the highest 16C SKU.

Are you saying the current G or duo model or lower level I5 is beating out and I9 in single and multi-threaded performance?

But no I'm saying its much nicer to have your $300 processor blown out by a new gen lower end model. Than your I9 that was $700-900 lol
It actually happened with the 1800x vs 6900k (and later on Skylake-X) where they traded punches while being $500 vs $1000. Desktop Skylake and its derivatives were and are still king in game performance because of the whole lower latency and higher clocks that games generally prefer over higher core count.

This is mostly me keeping my expectations in check, but I can see the 9900k still being #1 in games while AMD's 8C will slap it in pure number crunching. Either way the difference will be marginal, but it sure won't be worth spending $500 on a 9900k anymore.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Well if the 8600k lasts me till 2022 I'm more than happy, I banked on the 8600k because my 3570k was getting seriously long in the tooth last year and the 8700(k) was too expensive for my budget, especially since I had to upgrade my PC for some personal reasons. I had in mind buying a Ryzen system and banking on AMD's forward-compatibility but at that time Ryzen 3000 was a bet I didn't want to take with how few info was out last year.

Well I will admit that I find overclocking the 8600k much more confusing than my old 3570k but when I tried 5ghz I was faster in thermal-throttling land than I could say "Intel runs hot!". The highest I managed comfortably was 4.5ghz all-core and even that ran toasty with AVX added to the mix. I don't have the best CPU cooler but a beQuiet Dark Rock 3 isn't something to slouch at either. But yeah as said I wasn't sure if I did things correctly, could anyone maybe lend me a hand?

And honestly as selfish as that sounds I was happy with CPUs lasting 5 years, as someone with limited income I don't like tech advancing too fast :P

Nov 8, 2017
Well I will admit that I find overclocking the 8600k much more confusing than my old 3570k but when I tried 5ghz I was faster in thermal-throttling land than I could say "Intel runs hot!". The highest I managed comfortably was 4.5ghz all-core and even that ran toasty with AVX added to the mix. I don't have the best CPU cooler but a beQuiet Dark Rock 3 isn't something to slouch at either. But yeah as said I wasn't sure if I did things correctly, could anyone maybe lend me a hand?

And honestly as selfish as that sounds I was happy with CPUs lasting 5 years, as someone with limited income I don't like tech advancing too fast :P

No point preemptively upgrading for fear of it not lasting, since no doubt by the time the consoles are on the market you'll be able to buy even better stuff for even cheaper if it starts to become apparent that you need an upgrade. We might be pleasantly surprised and maybe it'll last for several years into the generation, after all.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
No point preemptively upgrading for fear of it not lasting, since no doubt by the time the consoles are on the market you'll be able to buy even better stuff for even cheaper if it starts to become apparent that you need an upgrade. We might be pleasantly surprised and maybe it'll last for several years into the generation, after all.

Well I certainly hope so and you're right, this is exactly why I picked the 8600k overall, it seemed like the safest bang for buck option long-term. One question though, I haven't kept up with RAM/Plattform news, will these new Ryzens run on DDR5?

Nov 8, 2017
Well I certainly hope so and you're right, this is exactly why I picked the 8600k overall, it seemed like the safest bang for buck option long-term. One question though, I haven't kept up with RAM/Plattform news, will these new Ryzens run on DDR5?

I believe that this next AMD chipset won't have DDR5 support, but the one after it might. We had a leak the other day indicating that Intel's 2021 servers will have DDR5, so it's not clear whether it might ship in 2020 or 2021 for both companies, or just one, or whatever.

Who knows, tbh.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that this next AMD chipset won't have DDR5 support, but the one after it might. We had a leak the other day indicating that Intel's 2021 servers will have DDR5, so it's not clear whether it might ship in 2020 or 2021 for both companies, or just one, or whatever.

Who knows, tbh.

I see, well if these Ryzen 3000s end up as good as they promise and keep running on DDR4 then I'm somewhat happy as it would potentially allow me a cheap upgrade avenue in a few years with me not having to throw my current 16gb 3000mhz sticks out.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I think things will stay roughly the same. The same core counts slot into the same tiers while the 12 and 16 core SKUs will go into a higher one (maybe a Ryzen 9) at like $400-600 or even $700 for the highest 16C SKU.

It actually happened with the 1800x vs 6900k (and later on Skylake-X) where they traded punches while being $500 vs $1000. Desktop Skylake and its derivatives were and are still king in game performance because of the whole lower latency and higher clocks that games generally prefer over higher core count.

This is mostly me keeping my expectations in check, but I can see the 9900k still being #1 in games while AMD's 8C will slap it in pure number crunching. Either way the difference will be marginal, but it sure won't be worth spending $500 on a 9900k anymore.
I think I misunderstood. I thought they were saying Intel had done so as well. With Coffee Lake.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Kinda, more like 8400 coming out and beating out the I5 Kaby lake that came out the same year, which was a refresh of last year's Skylake. Making my 6500 and Non K CPU obsolete.

And not only that, prices on Intel CPU going up preventing me in upgrading to an I7.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
I think I misunderstood. I thought they were saying Intel had done so as well. With Coffee Lake.
Yeah I actually confused myself in the trail of replies. I thought it was more of a general new CPU beats current one for half the price thing. Although technically Coffee Lake did make a lot of Intel HEDT CPUs obsolete for people who just wanted higher core counts and didn't need the extra I/O.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Still running the i7 2600k from my last build back in 2011, for Skyrim and Battlefield 3. Lasted me an entire console generation, two years before the consoles even released. I'm betting high-end Zen 2 models will do the same for the PS5 gen. Very excited to finally build a new PC later this year =)
Same here, itching for the reveal and a new PC!