• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
What? So they are going to announce chips, with core counts only and NOT give the fucking clock speeds or prices?

They're announcing the new X570 platform so that their partners can show off motherboards at the show.

Hopefully there'll be some highend versions with passive chipset cooling, otherwise they really need to step up the process.

Last edited:

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're announcing the new X570 platform so that their partners can show off motherboards at the show.

Hopefully there'll be some highend versions with passive chipset cooling, otherwise they really need to step up the process.
X570 is going to be cooled with a fan.

I am still rocking my X370 chipset.

Dec 23, 2018

Thats just a by product of having to use twice the energy as the other boards. Passive cooling ones will probably on the low end with higher end ones that can push the energy to OC harder will be active cooled.

Nov 8, 2017
VRS in Intel iGPU bodes well for Navi/consoles adopting it too. And consoles having it will in turn drive PC game adoption, which will be great for small form factor tablets/hybrids etc.

Yes I'm quite excited for more mainstream adoption. At 1440p I can't noice a difference enabling or disabling it in Wolfenstein 2 on 2080 so I'll take the extra performance any time it's offered to me, even if it just means my Gpu is working less hard because I'm already performing above my framerate target.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Wondering if my B350 mobo will be compatible with Ryzen 3. I just got an R5 2600, and if this is notably better in games might be worth an upgrade. But I think GPU is still first on my list—my 1060 6GB does fine in most games but I wouldn't hate having a 2060 or 2070.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if my B350 mobo will be compatible with Ryzen 3. I just got an R5 2600, and if this is notably better in games might be worth an upgrade. But I think GPU is still first on my list—my 1060 6GB does fine in most games but I wouldn't hate having a 2060 or 2070.
I would also upgrade the GPU before your CPU. In terms of compatibility, I think it should be (after a bios update), though I haven't looked up any info about it.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
For video editing, what should I focus on? I know good multi-core CPU for rendering speed and lots of RAM for previewing/editing. I'm only going for 1080p at most. Will 16GB of RAM be good enough? Or should I look into an X570 hoping it'll support even faster and better RAM down the line?

Nov 8, 2017
Even worse, Ice Lake is 10nm (equivalent to 7nm of TSMC) while 3700U is only 12nm+.

The GPU performance gulf was huuge on more equivalent nodes, so even if it took the 10nm node to achieve this on the iGPU, it's still an improvement for Intel in that space. Once AMD 7nm APUs hit I expect that they'll have somethiung like a 1.3-1.5x lead, instead of 2x on previous gens.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
It has been pointed out in the Anandtech comments for that graph, Intel are no doubt running the Zen+ APU on only one channel of RAM also, lol.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Check you manufacturer's support section. I'm running an Asus B350 Prime Plus and it already got a bios update for Ryzen 3XXX CPUs.

But yeah, with 2600 you most probably aren't going to be exactly CPU limited anytime soon. So upgrade your GPU first, maybe see what's coming from AMD's side of the aisle in July and then decide.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You can run it at stock. Overclocking is not recommended unless you install a fan to blow over the VRM.
If B350 mobo supports up to 105W [almost all do], then all 105W Ryzen 3000 CPUs will work fine at stock clocks. Everything that AMD has announced so far is 105W or less.

Don't attempt overclocking.
Ahh right, thanks!

So is it not recommended to even lock your CPU to the all core turbo? So for the 3700x, it'd be 4.4ghz I believe.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
lol I guess I shouldn't risk my asrock x370 itx. The heat sink seems minuscule compared to these newer X570s haha