• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I have the game downloaded and running on my computer. If anything its gonna be more like 6 years considering the first game.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, all those one line posts of hot takes aside, I thought there were legal issues surrounding the STALKER franchise and that one of the Sergiy's was a real shitheel? You had teams fracture into about 3 different studios.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Blowout_soon.jpg

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Wow! I thought it'd never see the light of the day ever again. If i remember correctly, in an attempt to go multiplatform, it ruined the series and S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 was canned, so i hope this time they release for PC first and the later if its possible for consoles since their budget clearly an issue last time and they went overboard.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wow! I thought it'd never see the light of the day ever again. If i remember correctly, going multiplatform ruined the series so i hope this time they release for PC first and the later if its possible for consoles since their budget clearly an issue last time and they went overboard.
The STALKER games were all PC only.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Considering how GSC Game World and Sergey Grygorovych handled the closing of the studio and the issue prior I'm not going to get too excited since it's the same people apparently.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! I thought it'd never see the light of the day ever again. If i remember correctly, in an attempt to go multiplatform, it ruined the series and S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 was canned, so i hope this time they release for PC first and the later if its possible for consoles since their budget clearly an issue last time and they went overboard.
The STALKER series was PC-only, largely because the engine was a mess and the 360 port of COP never eventuated. Decent chance this new game'll be multiplatform, though.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I am okay with this taking a long as fuck time to make, considering how long it took to make the original. SOC and COP are masterpieces for largely different reasons.

Hell I would be happy if they released something that was a slight graphical update of all the models they built from before, if the world and game-play are as masterfully crafted.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely skeptical about this since almost everyone who worked on the original games left GSC Game World and it became a shell of a company that sat on the STALKER IP. Charlie Hall wrote a good long form article about how the previous incarnation of STALKER 2 was cancelled and where the devs went. Grigorovich comes off as kinda scumy from comments made by one of the founders of 4A, the developers of the Metro series.
When Prokhorov came to GSC in 1996 it was only a loosely affiliated group of 15 people in a two-room apartment. The 26-year old Ph.D. was interviewed by their leader, a then-16-year-old Grigorovich.

"It was like a crazy house," Prokhorov says, but the work was intoxicating and the pay was marginally better than what he was receiving from the government.

Throughout the early 2000s, as GSC grew larger on the sales of Cossacks games, Prokhorov and others began to resent how the company's earnings all seemed to go to Grigorovich. Their CEO had stated many times that Cossacks earned the company more than $100 million, but Prokhorov says the wages of average employees remained comically low.

In 2005, six years into the development of the first Stalker, GSC employed 140 people. Prokhorov says that in the parking lot there were only four cars. Three of them belonged to Grigorovich: a BMW X5, a Porshe Cayenne and a Ferarri F430 with plates that read "Stalker."

The fourth car was a second-hand beater owned by one of GSC's programmers. One hundred forty people worked for Grigorovich, with only one car among them. There is anger, disgust even, in Prokhorov's voice as he tells the story.

Eventually, after a falling out with Grigorovich over wages in 2006, Prokhorov and two lead programmers left the company to found 4A. After the first Stalker was published in 2007, Prokhorov says that Grigorovich fired the entire art department at GSC. Nearly all of them came to work for 4A.
https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/9/8/4568598/stalker-fallout-gsc-game-world
4A got a lot of the artists and engineers who created the X-Ray engine from GSC Game World. Others who worked on STALKER 2 up until its cancellation ended up founding Vostok games which made Survarium, a f2p pvp shooter, and an upcoming battle royale game called Fear The Wolves.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Mother of God.

Please please please have an emphasis on AI and emergent gameplay like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did.

Also emergent horror, amazing weather effects, true open world, and a PBR solution to die for.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I really don't know why they would even bother this early. I said the same thing about CDPR when they announced Cyberpunk. Announce them when they're ready.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This basically opens the floodgates for the Half-Life 3 reveal I am predicting to happen this year.

If STALKER 2 is really happening and actually even comes close to what a sequel to the game could do, I suppose anything is possible.

I've wanted more STALKER for so so long, but I really can't get too enthusiastic till I see it and it's actually more certain to release. It's also been a long time. Whose to say what kind of quality and design we'd get

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
I'm extremely skeptical about this since almost everyone who worked on the original games left GSC Game World and it became a shell of a company that sat on the STALKER IP. Charlie Hall wrote a good long form article about how the previous incarnation of STALKER 2 was cancelled and where the devs went. Grigorovich comes off as kinda scumy from comments made by one of the founders of 4A, the developers of the Metro series.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/9/8/4568598/stalker-fallout-gsc-game-world
4A got a lot of the artists and engineers who created the X-Ray engine from GSC Game World. Others who worked on STALKER 2 up until its cancellation ended up founding Vostok games which made Survarium, a f2p pvp shooter, and an upcoming battle royale game called Fear The Wolves.

Yup, I read stuff like this time ago after the "closing" of GSC. Looks like almost nobody has a good word about Grygorovych.

And yes, the Ferrari with the "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." plate is real:

e9MdZi-4pnU.jpg

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone that worked on Stalker pretty much left so them making a job posting makes sense. Not going a whole lot of optimism for this project though.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Since many of the people over there left and made 4A games, I just don't know if GSC has it in them to repeat the marvel that was STALKER.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
This is a dream come true, honestly expected it to be half funded through kickstarter