• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having spent a considerable amount of time in South Africa (almost a year), I have come to love it. A week does not go by that I don't think about it and have a strange sense of home sickness.

Honestly, I have no idea how this thread or topic will go here of Reset as it deals with very sensitive issues, but I am curious to what you all think about it.

Obviously, this is a sensitive topic, so please try and keep it civil.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...n/news-story/a8a81155995b1adc1c399d3576c4c0bc

Edit: Note that this is not law yet as they will look to revising the South African Constitution. While I don't think this is much of an issue there (as say the U.S.), there is possibility the the Courts could say no way. (Doubtful).

Second Edit: Please I implore all participants on this thread to treat this topic with the respect and thoughtful posting that it deserves. There is value in learning about South Africa not only because it is an important issue affecting a country, but also it serves to test one's own critical thinking about race relations as traditional "talking points" dont really apply as this is a different set of facts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this doesn't end in bloodshed and corruption (as it probably will like it did in Zimbabwe) I have no problem with this whatsoever.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Given the historical precedents cited in the article, this could end rather poorly for the nation, but as I'm not as well versed in African history, hopefully someone can offer some further context on the examples provided.

kruis

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So South-Africa is following Zimbabwe's disastrous example. No good will come from this.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought things were getting more calm between White and Black/Coloured population.
Seems not.

Pinging South Africans, give us more context.

Oct 26, 2017
Mr Malema has been leading calls for land confiscation, forcing the ANC to follow suit out of fear of losing the support of poorer black voters. In 2016, he told supporters he was "not calling for the slaughter of white people' at least for now".
Um, what?!

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Mr Malema has been leading calls for land confiscation, forcing the ANC to follow suit out of fear of losing the support of poorer black voters. In 2016, he told supporters he was "not calling for the slaughter of white people' at least for now".

bruh

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

HOLY. SHIT.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have no problem with confiscating land from its owners due to race?

How do you think they got it in the first place? You think they paid a fair price?!?!

Black-Panther_Museum02.jpg

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe that I'm actually using this phrase seriously but that sounds like it's on the brink of advocating literal white genocide

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If they give the land to people without any farming skills then this is going to be a disaster.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man

Im not nearly knowledgeable enough to comment on this

Someone help me grasp the context of all this

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I am friends with a South African couple who were born and raised there. Their parents are farmers but have been talking about selling and getting the fuck out of there for a while now because of this looming possibility. But they still held out hope that such an incredibly stupid and shortsighted decision wouldn't actually happen considering how disastrous it was elsewhere.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
"At least for now"

Well that's not going to make me feel safe if I were a white South African.

Those numbers sound pretty bad, 72% ownership of farmlands, but there's got to be a better way to resolve this than to take the land away from people who weren't alive during colonial times.

Now if they want to take those diamonds back from Da Beers I'll shed no tears.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ramaphosa stated that it wouldn't be smash and grab. Whatever that means. I very much doubt they'll expropriate liberally. It would be a disaster if they did. And the likelihood of this passing is very good, by the way. Both ANC and EFF support this. They'll have their 2/3 vote.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Thandeka Mbabama from the Democatic Alliance party, which opposed the motion, said there was a need to right the wrongs of the past but expropriation "cannot be part of the solution". "By arguing for expropriation without compensation, the ANC has been gifted the perfect scapegoat to explain away its own failure," she said in a statement.

It really is that simple lol. This idea is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. ANC been admiring their buddy zimbabwe.

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, what

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, just like Zimbabwe, is populist idiocy that will end with nothing more than bloodshed and needless violence. Re-appropriation of the land needs to be delicate and handled with a softer hand than "fuck it get out" and, I presume again as in Zimbabwe, handing it all over to friends and family who have no idea how agriculture works.

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
So South-Africa is following Zimbabwe's disastrous example. No good will come from this.

Mugabe enriched his friends instead of releasing confiscated farms to black farmers. As for this, I have no problem with it whatsoever. Black South Africans sure do have a lot of restraint.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will land that has been stolen from Khoisan people also be returned? Or the land that Shaka Zulu conquered?

That is for the native South Africans to figure out amongst themselves.

For now, they're concerned with putting African land back in the hands of Africans, and I am 100% supportive of that endeavour.

Unfortunately, history will likely repeat itself, but in the case it doesn't, in the case corruption doesn't win out and these reclaimed lands are put in the hands of native African farmers, then good.

Status
Not open for further replies.