• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So I've been waiting a few months now to make this; wanted to see how the channel turned out and for there to be a bit of a backlog that people could skim through.

Back in December, the band Sabaton started a new youtube channel dedicated to giving some context to historic people and moments mentioned in their songs. Sabaton is a power metal band from Sweden that does music almost exclusively highlighting important events and figures in history, with most of their albums following a specific theme drawn from multiple eras. Their albums dedicated to heroism, desperate last stands, or specific wars or time periods act as some of the best examples of this.

So every Thursday for the last few months, they've been putting out one of these mini-documentaries about an individual song off any one of their albums. They poll the community to see what the most requested songs are and typically base the choice on that (with a few exceptions like when a new album got announced so they immediately did an episode about one of the songs on it that no one had ever heard before). The episodes are usually about 15 minutes long and involve a member of the band giving context to how/why the song was made, while Indy Neidell from The Great War channel (an extremely fascinating look at the events of WWI in real time over the course of four years) presents the history behind the events the song is about.

I've been using Sabaton songs in my social studies classes going all the way back to when I was student teaching. Having these little documentaries so readily available now to add to that has been a real boon for making an exciting ending to certain topics in class. So I though I'd try getting the word out a bit more about the series and maybe bring some more fans of good music or interesting history into the fold. I'm still waiting for them to do my absolute favorite, concerning Witold Pilecki, so I figure I'll keep updating this thread as time goes on and see how long it takes for them to get to that story...

I should mention that, while the examples in the this post just happen to all be from WWII, the songs jump all over the timeline of the world. Those three just happened to be really good examples of the series' quality.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea they were doing this. This is great. I would also like to the post the video to their fantastic song Cliffs of Gallipoli, about the battle in World War 1. Great fucking song and video, even though it's low quality:

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Sabaton AND Indy Neidell? How did I not know this existed
I had no idea they were doing this. This is great.
Yeah, that's been the general sentiment I've been hearing from a lot of people who would otherwise be interested in it it. Seems like they just did a really bad job advertising the channel when it launched.

Also yeah, Cliffs of Gallipoli is one of the ones I'm very much anticipating an episode for now.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Resurrecting this thread only because they finally covered the one story/song I've been waiting the entirety of this series for them to get around to.