• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I missed its 20th anniversary by one year, and I'm sad to realize that Square-Enix seems to have done literally nothing for the game (maybe some collab for Imperial SaGa I guess?). Anyway, SaGa fans knows to not expect too much.

sf-red-t260g-lutelfs4h.jpg

SaGa Frontier is another oddity in the SaGa franchise, originally supposed to be Romancing SaGa 4, this game decided to go its own route. Ditching its fantasy roots for a science-fiction universe, the game goes through 7 different stories for each main character who can be picked at the start of the game.

The ambition of Frontier was miles above anything that has been done in the series before, and it is something that ultimately ate the game from within. Square was apparently wasn't very fond of delays and going over budget, and just like Xenogears, suffered from huge cuts that didn't allow the game to fully realize its vision. Yet what remains is enough to marvel at the level of craft on display.

Of things to have been cut, Fuse's scenario stings the most as he was supposed to travel between the stories of seven characters, and his scenario would change in relation to what the player did in those seven other chapters. Asellus' chapter was also supposed to have much more development about the dichotomy of her human and mystic blood. The Cutting Room Floor has Frontier has one page filled to the brim of things that didn't make the cut: quests, art, music, world map, there isn't a single area that didn't see itself being cut. The SaGa Frontier that we know is an incomplete one, but it didn't prevent the game from being one of the greatest entries in the genre.

Everyone was at the top of their game. From creator Akitoshi Kawazu, to developer Koichi Ishii of Mana series fame, to artist Tomomi Kobayashi, whose artwork can be seen throughout throughout this post. Let's not forget Kenji Ito too. His musical work is one of the highlights of his career.

sf-rouge-and-blue.jpg

Despite being incomplete, or should I say because it is, SaGa Frontier stands as a fascinating entry in the series. The seven chapters all strives to achieve something different. For example, Red's chapter is a Tokusatsu show with his Alkaiser transformation. Meanwhile Blue is a playable villain out to kill his brother for the sake of the Magic Kingdom. Blue is also famous for its famous end card title, in which "THE END" shows up the very second you deal the final hit on the final boss. People chalked it up to the game being unfinished, but Kawazu recently said that the ending was always made as intended, and the final trip to hell was the epilogue. Imagine something like this happening today. Even more, the confrontation between Blue and his brother Rouge decides who gets to continue. If you die with Blue in the battle against Rouge, you simply play as Rouge for the rest of your adventure. SaGa Frontier is always surprising the player at every turn.

fhfghfghwdu6j.png

Frontier never shied away from trying new things. Most chapters are compelling stories that doesn't try to fit the mold but break away from it. All of this while it retains its open-ended world aspect of doing whatever you want whenever you want. You can recruit many characters, some exclusive to your quest, some are even the main characters of other chapters, and then there are many sidequests. The art direction is also up there. With the switch to science-fiction, a fantasy world can be mixed with a cyberpunk world. You can find yourself in a japanese-style town to then be whisked away to a steel factory immediately after, and then end up in a surreal world of what seems a kaleidoscope of colours. Frontier spared no expense.

apr08200710-40-29pmk1uam.jpg

My favourite chapter is obviously Blue, for the freedom it gives and for the sheer novelty of playing an asshole with dubious motivations. Its surprising ending is also something that stuck in my head for years and years. But Asellus, despite the cuts, is an equally interesting chapter in how her humanity is questioned and how she has to live with being a half-mytic, half-human who lost 14 years of her life without aging a single second. Asellus is also pretty obviously a lesbian, which is something a lot of people on the internet tried to deny over the years, as if her eloping with White Rose to escape the grasp of Orlouge and one of her endings has her saying she'll get 200 princesses for herself.

sf-dollfbuwr.jpg

The gameplay system also came back with a vengeance, especially with the snappy combo system that allowed to chain skills together in order to deal extra-damage. Being able to chain skills with more than 2 characters was exhilirating. The depth of the combat was also present, especially when it came to the magic system. There are 5 categories that contains 2 spell types. Only one spell type from each category can be obtained, and the character you play as needs to have the gift for a spell type in order to learn stronger spells. It also has its purpose in the story too, as Blue and his brother Rouge are the only one who can access Realm Magic due to their upbringing in the Magic Kingdom. Some unplayable characters also has the gift for specific types that can only be acquired by defeating them, or buying it from him, depending on your relation to the character, such as TimeLord. It's also one of the reasons Blue is my favourite chapter, as his quest to obtain the gift for all magic, and becomes a strong magician as spells can become incredibly powerful and satisfying.

sf-emilia-annie-lizai2ujj.jpg

All of this obviously wouldn't be this awesome if Kenji Ito wasn't in the music department. If anyone doubted his skill back then, SaGa Frontier put everything to rest and elevated the man as one of the greatest video composers of its time who could stand among the likes of Hisayoshi Ogura, Nobuyoshi Sano and Nobuo Uematsu. Of note, Kenji Ito had created SEVEN final boss themes, on top of five different battle and boss themes. Red's final boss theme is especially of note. Kenji Ito is one of the few composers I know who is able to put feelings and emotions in his intricate prog rock themes, you can feel the scene even without the context.

Listen to Asellus' final boss theme in comparison. Completely different feeling, it's like you're transported in another universe. SaGa Frontier's soundtrack is a monument of the JRPG genre.

Despite being a million seller in Japan, the west has obviously shunned this game for, well, being a SaGa game and it also never reached Europe. It's too bad, but the achievements of Frontier has not been unnoticed for its small, but dedicated western audience.

To close this out, Kotaku had asked Akitoshi Kawazu if he ever considered a remake of this game with the full missing content and that's what he had to say.

Schreier: Would you ever consider remaking SaGa Frontier with the content that was cut from the game?

Kawazu: Of course I'd like to, but I'm not sure if god would keep me alive until the day it can be realized.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Amazing game, amazing soundtrack, and amazing ambition. There was so much there that my 12 year old mind couldn't comprehend, even with gamefaqs. I was able to get to the end of T260G's story (was that the easiest?) but, despite challenging the game several times over the years, that's all I was able to complete. The systems completely elude me to this day and I think they are incomplete and/or unexplained. It was my first SaGa game, and recently going back to play the Romancing SaGa 2 rerelease, I can see how the series is not designed to explain anything. Despite that, I still love the game and the world and hope to go back and complete all scenarios someday.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Part of the appeal of the SaGa games is that unknown aspect, stumbling around in the dark as far as the systems implemented. A series like Final Fantasy takes your hand and guides you, slowly ramping up what you're capable of in the game world. Its almost like a sandbox in this regard.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
It's weird. My buddy and I played like every jrpg there was but for some reason we called this one a coaster (as in a coaster for your drink) but I can't for the life of me remember why. I've always wanted to give it another try and op is definitely making me want to even more.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Also Blue was wierd in that he was probably the overpowered character of the game.

Could learn just about all the spells in the game, even the stuff that are opposed. Had also a high affinity for the various physical sets too. I had a playthrough with max Sword skills and max spells.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People going into any SaGa game needs to throw away all preconceived notion of what JRPG is.
Only then can you enjoy and appreciate Kawazu's work.
Having said that, Frontier 1 is probably my least favorite SaGa game, partly due to the setting, partly due to the more simplified weapon system (I don't like how they allocate their budget to Mystics which does not contribute much imo to gameplay depth) and partly due to how it feels very incomplete even compared to other SaGa.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
My first impression of the game was how easy it was to accidentally walk into an area, get nearly murdered by the OP enemies, then be unable to get anywhere because one of Asellus's assassin enemies was after me and attacked at nearly any screen I tried to run to. Eventually I gave up and brought the game back to Blockbuster.

Then when I got paid with one of my first paychecks from my high school job I went to Target and grabbed this, Megaman Legends, a blue Dual Shock and Pokemon Blue.

I friggin' love it and wish it were possible to get a remake done with all of the cut content.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I remember about this game was I only ever beat the robot story. I mostly remember this because I'm pretty damn sure that the last boss in Einhander is the final body you get for said robot in Saga Frontier. I thought that was kinda neat. Granted, that was like 20 years ago, so my memory may be failing me. Otherwise, the game has the balance of a grain of sand vs. an elephant. Difficulty is all over the place. I wanted to like it so much, but I just could not make it work for me.

Saga Frontier 2, was much more to my liking. I never finished that either, but I liked the visuals and what the game did, storywise.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
My first impression of the game was how easy it was to accidentally walk into an area, get nearly murdered by the OP enemies, then be unable to get anywhere because one of Asellus's assassin enemies was after me and attacked at nearly any screen I tried to run to. Eventually I gave up and brought the game back to Blockbuster.

Then when I got paid with one of my first paychecks from my high school job I went to Target and grabbed this, Megaman Legends, a blue Dual Shock and Pokemon Blue.

I friggin' love it and wish it were possible to get a remake done with all of the cut content.

I want to know all the weird unfinished worlds, like that planet that's just a big palace with the guy that sometimes is a quest giver.

fat shrimps

Jan 8, 2018
I remember buying this game as a kid, only knowing it was Square and therefore must be great.

Then I spent hours running up and down a hotel building. Died alot. Suplexed really big blurry sprites.

Never did beat the game...

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Got it for Christmas one year and didn't even consider trying it for the longest time. My first playthrough, I picked Lute and just went along with the story. 10 minutes later, I was at the final boss, totally unprepared, and unable to go back anywhere else.

Pretty sure they wanted you to try Blue first, since his story explains how magic works and discretely shows you where to find stuff to get stronger, which carries over into the other characters' quests. I always thought Rouge was cooler simply because he was nicer, so I threw the fight when I got there. Supposedly, Rouge winning is canon, and the final fight is meant to imply that you're locked in an eternal battle with the final boss.

I would 100% be on board with a remake, even if it just recycled the engine from Octopath Traveler.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Liked this game a lot at the time to the point where I played through everyone's story. Would love to see it go up on the PSN, although I probably wouldn't play through the whole thing again.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was 17 at the time and as I recall, first confused by the game and then ultimately, disappointed. It just wasn't what I was expecting after FFVII. I finally gave it a real chance in my 20s and found things to like, although it frustrated me how you basically have to do the same side quests for every character just so you have enough strength for the final boss.

Renegade King

Oct 28, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Man, I loved this game, and when I was younger, I played this with all the neighborhood kids together. There was the one scene that really stuck out to me near the beginning of T260G's ( the robot) story, where T260 talks to Gen ( swordsman) about him using a pipe to cut a rope. The robot just couldn't understand how a rusty pipe could be swung to cut a rope, and I always thought it was funny, because as a player I just accepted.

Also, I really dug that final boss theme for T260g:

It was a very robot sounding song. I would totally love a remaster of the game, with all the cut content added in.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Let my friend borrow Final Fantasy 7 and he let me borrow Saga Frontier. I actually loved the game but I found some of the bosses insanely hard. So i nevertruly beat it. I think I touched base with a former friend in common asking about that dude and found he went in jail for robbing a gas station or something.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
I've always used the shop selling trick because that cut down on a lot of the grinding. Using the GameShark to get characters I otherwise wouldn't be able to get was a lot of fun too. The best feeling in this game is to find a new ultimate tech or do a 5 hit combo.

Asellus is the best character. Red is great too.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sadly, my memory of SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2 is seeing them at stores during SquareSoft's heyday and thinking "hey, I bet those games are good! I'm gonna save up!" and then people trashing them in AOL chatrooms, leading to me never playing them. :(

On the plus side, I now get to play them for THE FIRST TIME EVER! The in-game art style is so good. Really looking forward to them!

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I absolutely love SaGa Frontier. I consider it one of the best RPGs of all time, despite its incomplete state. It is a perfect mix of the insanity of the Gameboy SaGa games with the multiple protagonists of the Romancing SaGa games, except even more ambitious in scope.

Humans, Mecs, Monsters, and Mystics all play very differently from each other, and the various different storylines encourage the player to try different mixes of these character types. Trying a full Mec team in T260G's route is a really fun change of pace after clearing Emilia's route with a full party of nothing but humans. The game just has an incredible variety of parties you can build.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I love this game SO much. It is eccentric and interesting and a lot of fun. Guides help.

This is one of the games I played the most obsessively back in the PS1 era, and I eventually beat all the stories and saw the Developer Room. Orlouge was easily the hardest final boss on top of the already challenging Asellus route. This is in no small part due to my lack of knowledge of how Mystics worked, but he just hits really hard with that Three Mistresses attack too.

I'd love to see a port or remake. This game is too good to be neglected so much.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've read about this game makes it sound incredible, unfinished or not, but I never bothered looking up much about it so all this makes it all the more appealing... I really should borrow a friend's copy sometime, the guy is always trying to push SaGa games on me anyway.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is probably my favorite SaGa game. Red was the first character I started with. Although getting to the Biolab unprepared can be harsh since there is a point once you enter you cannot leave so you could potentially be stuck on a save file.

I think Lute's questline was apparently bugged. There was supposed to be an 8th questline but it did not make the cut, considering the amount of dialog Fuse had in other characters quest and data that exists in SaGa Frontier code that was dummied out in the final release.

I distinctly remember going immediately to Junk to do some sort of treasure box opening trick and recruiting Gen since he is potentially the most powerful Sword user in the game.

I wonder if SaGa Frontier survived a period of devs throwing away old assets. If one SaGa game should get a proper remake, this is most certainly the one.

Last edited:

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
People need to understand that SaGa Frontier is a RPG game that you learn over trail and error, and I fucking loved this game for it. If you are new and want to be eased into the game though, id suggest hunting for the prima strategy guide since it did a great job.

This game had great designs that I really just havent seen much of as of late. Great mix of cultures of Modern, Magic fantasy, Sci-fi, vampires, Mechs, monsters.......hard to find anything similar to this and pulled off well.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I remember this game. Probably my favorite of the SaGa games because of the fast paced combat. Pulling off high level combinations is so satisfying and the bulb flashing when learning a new technique is the best (although RNG can be a harsh mistress when going for a certain technique).

Me and my brother played through each character's story because we thought there was going to be an epic cross-over event unlocked at the end. Kind of wish we hadn't since it's just a CT-style ending (which is cool but not what we wanted) and multiple playthroughs in rapid succession really exposes a lot of the problems with this game. The game is at its best when you just come back to it every now and then to experience it all over again with a new character (except Riki, fuck Riki). Leveling up the same characters and doing the same quests to get strong enough to continue over and over again 7 times gets old. Especially when you have two characters with DSC and have to start all over again on the next playthrough. Wish it had incorporated some of the features from Romancing SaGa 2 (skill dojo for one) on additional playthroughs to help mitigate the grind.

As it stands it's probably the easiest SaGa game to get into and enjoy. Some of the final bosses are real trials at time, which is great. The graphics can definitely be a turn off for some people though. And you know...it's SaGa so it's still hard to recommend fully for those that haven't tried the series.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Asellus WINK

Second PSX game I ever played, will always have a spot in my heart...even if that spot is weird and annoyingly difficult to deal with. Great music too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i remember being so obsessed with this game before release. the possibilities seemed endless, and Romancing Saga was kind of a mythical thing in america along with alot of other un-localized square rpgs, so it was a big deal we were finally getting one

then i finally played it. turned it off after like five minutes and never touched it again. what a mess of a game

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I remember grabbing it on a rental after I got into RPGs I was sooo excited. I played as Rikki first and thought he was so cool but eventually got lost. Then I tried Lute and really enjoyed the free flow of his story but once again lost. Same with the robot.

I gave up.

Eventually tried it again on a emulator and still got lost even with guides and a more formed mind as a teen instead of meet elementary schooler. STILL GOT LOST haha.

It's one of the biggest games I want to beat in life, but I need someone to point to a really well made guide cause I'm terrible at this dang game.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember grabbing it on a rental after I got into RPGs I was sooo excited. I played as Rikki first and thought he was so cool but eventually got lost. Then I tried Lute and really enjoyed the free flow of his story but once again lost. Same with the robot.

I gave up.

Eventually tried it again on a emulator and still got lost even with guides and a more formed mind as a teen instead of meet elementary schooler. STILL GOT LOST haha.

It's one of the biggest games I want to beat in life, but I need someone to point to a really well made guide cause I'm terrible at this dang game.

You should start a LTTP thread. I'm sure everyone here will help you to get through the game.
Beating SaGa always give a sense of accomplishment due to how difficult they can be and how the end game boss requires culmination of all you have learned over the course of the playthrough.
Once you beat one though, you are well equipped to tackle the rest with a little help from guide :D

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Forgot to mention my favorite playthroughs:

Asellus > Emilia = Riki >>> Lute

Refuse to rank the others cause ive either never beaten their stories or haven't even tried, want to leave Blue for last.

Currently doing a new playthrough for Emilia since I found out recently she actually has 2 endings! After doing that I will probably attempt the Mech story again......my least favorite race to use. Maybe I will learn how mechs actually work and appreciate them this time.

Best and most interesting race will always be the Mystics imo.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the west just not give a shit about SaGa? How many of them were even localized?

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
This song is forever stuck in my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHDUmtdcfo

Game was my very first RPG! Me and my brother split the seven characters. I remember being stuck against the slime boss in Riki's story.

There were a lot of deep systems in play that I did not fully understand as a kid. You can recruit a lot of memorable characters! The magic quests were also cool.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Why does the west just not give a shit about SaGa? How many of them were even localized?

As far as I am aware 9 games were localized.

Final Fantasy Legend 1,2 and 3 are all SaGa games, but published in the West under the FF name to take advantage of brand name recognition, just like how Final Fantasy Adventure was the first Seiken Densetsu / Mana title.

For PSX there was SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2.

On the PS2, The terribly confusing Unlimited SaGa and Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song which is a remake of the first Romancing SaGa game on the SNES

And the PSN / eShop digital release of Romancing SaGa 2 which is a based on the SNES game.

Also based on Akitoshi Kawazu admission in a recent interview most recebt game SaGa: Scarlet Grace is getting a Western release. Remains to be seen if both the PS4 and Switch versions are coming West. Although I think having both would be nice.

Final Fantasy II for all intents and purposes uses mechanics that laid the foundation for Makai Toushi SaGa (Final Fantasy Legend)

I often wonder at times if the SaGa series would have been more receptive in the West if the first three games were released as actual SaGa titles instead of banking on the branding of the FF series to actual push for success, then again considering the fact the first SaGa game was Square's first million seller, maybe they would have better off been labeled under a secondary "Final Fantasy Legend" series. The series having its own identity in the West under its original title of SaGa certainly isn't doing any favors.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time and probably my favorite OST for a JRPG if not Top 5, I don't think Ito will ever surpass his work on this game, M-Black's theme (Battle 5) is so good not to mention Wakatu, Omble and The Bio Research Lab (Alone) music. I used to always dread fighting the Ring Lord because I'd be scrambling for new combos during battle lol. All the cool stuff you could stumble upon in the game by just running around that you had no context for until you played a different character was neat. Red probably has my favorite campaign but I love them all.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I remember renting or borrowing this the the late 90's and enjoying it for what it was.

I only played a hanful of characters, and never stuck with it. I think I only completed maybe Lute, and Blue?

I have a bin filled with old guides, and I'm pretty sure I still have the one.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time and probably my favorite OST for a JRPG if not Top 5, I don't think Ito will ever surpass his work on this game, M-Black's theme (Battle 5) is so good not to mention Wakatu, Omble and The Bio Research Lab (Alone) music. I used to always dread fighting the Ring Lord because I'd be scrambling for new combos during battle lol. All the cool stuff you could stumble upon in the game by just running around that you had no context for until you played a different character was neat. Red probably has my favorite campaign but I love them all.

Kenji Ito has made metal arrangements of a lot of themes from SaGa Frontier that are worth checking out

As you'd expect, Battle #5 is spicy

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I absolutely loved Saga Frontier 1... moreso than the second one.
The battle system was super fast, the battle themes pumped me up (Kenji Ito FTW!) and there is a certain charm to the prerendered 2D backgrounds in the game.
Still, I wish we could've had Fuse's storyline.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely loved Saga Frontier 1... moreso than the second one.
The battle system was super fast, the battle themes pumped me up (Kenji Ito FTW!) and there is a certain charm to the prerendered 2D backgrounds in the game.
Still, I wish we could've had Fuse's storyline.

I always dreamed of a Frontier spin-off following the agents of the IRPO, there was so much potential there

latest

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really have much to say as I have unfortunately never played the game before, or any SaGa game for that matter, but who does the artwork for them? I've always found it absolutely gorgeous.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Played these games during my rpg rental years, so I never owned a copy.

Damn shame too. They fetch a pretty penny these days.

I did enjoy battles and the random chance to learn a new skill. Always that was was neat.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Blue is also famous for its famous end card title, in which "THE END" shows up the very second you deal the final hit on the final boss. People chalked it up to the game being unfinished, but Kawazu recently said that the ending was always made as intended, and the final trip to hell was the epilogue.

Well shit, didn't know it was intended! That really annoyed me as a kid when I finally beat Blue's campaign. One of my favorite PS1 RPGs. Wish we could get a version with all the originally planned content!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still own both games for PS1. 2 doesn't work for some reason (I think it never worked), but 1 did and I liked the setting and idea but could never really grasp the gameplay etc.

I did play 2 way back and I think I liked 1 more.

Oct 27, 2017
Easily my favorite and most played PS1 game. I played through every character multiple times. It is easily the best SaGa game