• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I say might but this is pretty certain in my mind. While I haven't been able to accurately recreate the same look (it's hard finding the right model + the right circumstances), the backgrounds are almost assuredly AI upscaled

Let's look into this in more details:

Remastered screenshot:
z_5fc2534a5ce67yvjg2.jpg

Original PS1 background (native resolution):
sagafrontierorig_1x8kty.png

One form of AI upscaling of the original PS1 background (by me):

sagafrontierorig_1_4xthjjx.png

A second form of AI upscaling (by me again):
sagafrontierorig_1_4xtuj3o.png

A gif comparison:
dfqsgsdfgrgt6j8d.gif

You can see the pixel artifacts in the brown wood circle that is holding the black bars that the remastered version is interpreting shading pixels as cracks. My model also interprets them as cracks but more subtly.

So, I think it's pretty conclusive proof it's using AI upscaling, and most likely ESRGAN like I do.

FF9 PC Port (2016)
3Qt5bf6.jpg

It's going to look more like this:

Moguri Mod (fanmod):
Gs7dJqS.jpg

So SaGa Frontier, on top of getting a remaster that is putting back lost content, is also ahead of the curve by using techniques that will improve the visuals of the game even further using available technology.

Basically, SaGa keeps winning. This is a release I'd already consider supporting if only for that fact. If this ends up selling poorly, this would send the wrong message about the kind of polish you would want out of your remaster.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nice. Can't wait to see more of this. Hoping capcom finally gives us ports of RE1-3 classic. Much like this and the Ff titles, fans have already shown they look quite good that way.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd go back to the final fantasy games and do this. Sucks to have to turn to mods, which also makes them out of reach for things like the Switch.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Def looks AI upscaled and they manipulated the contrast. Looks way more punchy. Who knew we'd be getting the definitive SaGa Frontier at any point in time.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was immediately thinking this (it has that sorta ....'smear effect' you see in AI upscales).
I really hope they set the precendent across their other classics (AHEM!!!! FF7, 8, 9). It's honestly a little depressing they ignored the tech for so long.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see them do treatments of the PSX Final Fantasy games in this way. Stuff like Remako and Moguri Mod are huge improvements, but they are still chock full of examples where the AI did weird things with textures. An in-house version of this could potentially be better.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I was never as big on SaGa Frontier 2 as I was on the first game, but it would massively benefit from this treatment. Legend of Mana would as well.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
OP, can you please explain how you did this? I am quite interested. e.g. what programs/coding is involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Glad to see some companies using this for older game remasters, especially in the context of late-'90s CG-based assets. It's going to be a boon for so many games from the era, as seen in mods for games like FFVII and Morrowind.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
OP, can you please explain how you did this? I am quite interested. e.g. what programs/coding is involved.
I used this guide https://upscale.wiki/wiki/ESRGAN_Installation_Guide_for_Windows
then this to install image enhancing utility program https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Using_ESRGAN,_Links,_And_Other_Information
It's a bit of a pain in the ass

I downloaded several models here, you can also get others or train your own https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Datasets

then i use the preview result to try different models, you can also interpolate different models (like say use 50% of one and 50% of the others to "merge" them)

unknown.png

I'm using it for my own side project of upscaling Crimson Shroud to HD. A cool RPG by Yasumi Matsuno (creator of Final Fantasy Tactics). Though I also do manual editing of every texture on photoshop too

work2.png

Work1.png

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was never as big on SaGa Frontier 2 as I was on the first game, but it would massively benefit from this treatment. Legend of Mana would as well.

i would definitely rather see legend of mana upscaled like saga frontier remastered over a full 3Dmake like trials (or god forbid adventures/secret)

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
If the use of AI speeds up the process of remastering and makes it cheaper, I'm all for it. I'd love to see quite a few PS2 era RPGs go this route, such as Shadow Hearts.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I used this guide https://upscale.wiki/wiki/ESRGAN_Installation_Guide_for_Windows
then this to install image enhancing utility program https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Using_ESRGAN,_Links,_And_Other_Information
It's a bit of a pain in the ass

I downloaded several models here, you can also get others or train your own https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Datasets

then i use the preview result to try different models, you can also interpolate different models (like say use 50% of one and 50% of the others to "merge" them)

unknown.png

I'm using it for my own side project of upscaling Crimson Shroud to HD. A cool RPG by Yasumi Matsuno (creator of Final Fantasy Tactics). Though I also do manual editing of every texture on photoshop too

work2.png

Work1.png

Dude this is amazing. Please keep us updated on how the project is going. Is this something you just decided to pick up and learn randomly? Or more a profession?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Dude this is amazing. Please keep us updated on how the project is going. Is this something you just decided to pick up and learn randomly? Or more a profession?
Thanks! I just picked it up randomly after seeing other projects like it but it's very cool and I learned some stuff about making games from the periphery on the way

Oct 26, 2017
Pity Nintendo didn't use this for 3D All-Stars. Including Sunshine's cutscenes which I think are pre-rendered but using in-game assets? On Switch it looks crusty with the old smear/blob upscaling.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing. As I posted in the other thread, these backgrounds look so good

Also, that background in FFIX looks amazing with the upscale. The PC image looks like a travesty in comparison.
Come on SE, do this. It looks so good. I think Final Fantasy ports would benefit hugely from this, since they started really advancing their detail with VIII and IX especially.

The only issue I see is that it gives the images a sort of glazed look, but I'm sure there are probably ways to tweak it after the fact. But honestly it's worth it, because the improvement is like 1000%

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing that it's SF that gets this treatment lol. I guess in ten years there might be new remasters of the FF PS1 trilogy. :P

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty cool. More devs should do this.
Nice. Can't wait to see more of this. Hoping capcom finally gives us ports of RE1-3 classic. Much like this and the Ff titles, fans have already shown they look quite good that way.
I agree so hard.

RE3 in particular looks so good with it. All they need to do after AI upscaling is update the character models and the game would barely look old.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
I wonder if instead they still have the original 3D scenes and camera setups, and are able to export HD renders, because of the new aspect ratio and because some of the materials that an AI would probably read as "ground" or "grass" still look very close to the original textures instead.
In the gif in the OP you can see the two rings above the cell window being very muddy in the original, which is why they also look odd in the Esrgan upscaling, while they're crystal clear in the remaster.
Or maybe there's just plenty of manual work involved on top of the AI upscaling, which wouldn't surprise me given the love the project seem to be getting from the dev team

Nov 1, 2017
I wish they'd go back to the final fantasy games and do this. Sucks to have to turn to mods, which also makes them out of reach for things like the Switch.
This so much. I tried to play FF9 on Game Pass the other day, it's the only PSX Final Fantasy i've not played but i just could not get past the jarring visual affect of high resolution polygons, blurry mess of backgrounds and the extremely sharp UI/text. It just looked like an incoherent trainwreck. That Moguri mod screenshot looks so much better it isn't even funny.

Hopefully this is a test drive for adding this to the main games.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I was taking a good look at the Crystal Chonicles Remaster and I actually think that is the first Square remaster to use AI upscaling. The main characters look like they're redrawn, but some of the prominent NPCs textures have that same weird quality that fan upscaling projects often have. I'll see if I can upload a picture later, but it's certainly encouraging that SE have seemingly embraced this now.