• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The amount that you can do is sometimes overwhelming lol

I'm going to post a full thoughts/review later, but by the time I had finished all four main characters, there were 19 characters I had never recruited, about 15 I never really used at all and tried to build, a bunch of major sidequest chains I never completed, and only 10 of the "easy" Fiend bosses beaten, out of 20, and none of the "hard" versions. This is easily the best open-world Square-Enix has ever published (for a single-player game). Such a ridiculous overabundance of great content.

Urpina route feels pretty dull after having olayed the game with Bal
Seriously the game was more generous with hp and skill ups as i played with bal than what i am getting with urpina.

That's because Bal throws you at Hard missions more often, and because it has its plot battles go through fewer chain battles, meaning that there's fewer fights per Battle Rank.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to post a full thoughts/review later, but by the time I had finished all four main characters, there were 19 characters I had never recruited, about 15 I never really used at all and tried to build, a bunch of major sidequest chains I never completed, and only 10 of the "easy" Fiend bosses beaten, out of 20, and none of the "hard" versions. This is easily the best open-world Square-Enix has ever published (for a single-player game). Such a ridiculous overabundance of great content.

That's because Bal throws you at Hard missions more often, and because it has its plot battles go through fewer chain battles, meaning that there's fewer fights per Battle Rank.
It's insane. Who do you review for? I need this amazing game to get more press.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah the game really deserves its praise. The visual style won me over and I find the 2D papercraft-like areas on the map endearing.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Is there something that happens once you finish all of the character's stories, or is the game truly just 4 separate stories in the same world?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm in front of the big
Zigurat
in Urpina's route, but I have not obtained all the red stones (the game allowed me to continue with the "main quest" for some reason). I need all the stones to get the good ending, or I will experience the same regardless of the red fragments quest?

TBH while I have been enjoying the game a lot, first chapter was great, the Phoenix quest killed my interest to play it more, I will do a 2nd route in a few months but for now I want to finish it with the best possible ending.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Is intelligence good for anything except magic?

I recruited Hilda and her best stat is intelligence at 13. But she has 0 skill in all magic/staff, so I'm not sure what she's meant to be used for.

Oct 25, 2017

I recruited Hilda and her best stat is intelligence at 13. But she has 0 skill in all magic/staff, so I'm not sure what she's meant to be used for.

What is her unique role?

Her stats are pretty well-rounded overall. Spear, maybe, with a focus on the Dex skills (Sweep, Reaper) and Int skills (Mizuchi, Arm of Light).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
What is her unique role?

Her stats are pretty well-rounded overall. Spear, maybe, with a focus on the Dex skills (Sweep, Reaper) and Int skills (Mizuchi, Arm of Light).
Her unique role increases the likelihood of Marigan's Mania, so it doesn't tell me much about how to use her. The game says that she specializes in long sword, are any of its major techs intelligence based...?

Thanks for the spear suggestion, I might try that. How do you know what stats affect which skills, by the way? Is there a list somewhere?

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the character is fast enough, intelligence is also used, when a character is the first to lead a combo, to determine the target. High intelligence: target beneficial to you. Low intelligence: terrible choice, an enemy sandwiched between two enemies that will lead to an enemy combo, etc.

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
So I played through the game with Leo first and am going through it with Urpina now and I must echo what was recommended earlier in the thread: starting with Leo gives off a worse impression of the game than it deserves. Gameplay is ace of course, but his very few plot events feel completely arbitrary without the contextualization that you gain from the other character routes. It really makes for a pretty bad introduction to the world and I'm surprised that the game is so willing to give him to you as a starting character after the quiz.

Brilliant game regardless, though.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Need help with an Urpina quest:
I've followed the phoenix until Machirum Magdese, but it exits from Bulio Gate; what am I supposed to do now to keep following it?

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Urpina's quest over the weekend and with her done I have completed the game three times. I can really appreciate whey people say to start with her for no other reason than her scenarios go more in-depth story/lore wise and the dialogue between her and Mondo is way clearer than any of the others have been about pretty much everything.

Having done the shard quests with all three characters it was interesting to see just how much extra stuff her versions had, especially with the added involvement of Imperial Library types in a few of them. Also ended up finding quite a few new weapons and monster specific equipment/weapons with techniques I had yet to discover. All in all I feel like there are still a ton of secrets left to discover, although it will be a while before I play again.

Need help with an Urpina quest:
I've followed the phoenix until Machirum Magdese, but it exits from Bulio Gate; what am I supposed to do now to keep following it?
I didn't do the pheonix scenario with Urpina, but in my experience you can't always go by the direction the pheonix appears to be traveling in. Sometimes it branches off in multiple directions at certain points, but if you go from region to region you will pick up the trail eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
The game continues to impress me as I replay Balmaint's story. Not only does his 5th chapter have a choice between Bicyniro and Cerenaif, but...

1. I didn't even know that Cerenaif was an option until my second playthrough.
  2. The Sigfrei quest there had only some slight similarities to Urpina's version of the Sigfrei plot there.
  3. Finally some fucking proper resolution to
    the curse quest.
  4. Because I didn't do Bicyniro, doing the Scarlet Shards quest there later ended up totally different, because there's basically two versions of the SS quest there for Balmaint depending on whether or not you did that zone for the Sigfrei quest?
This is just totally different. The conversation between Balmaint and the sculptor was kind of great, and I totally missed it on my first playthrough.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Like Tizoc, I can't find any clues about the spectres, but I won't spoil myself on that. In general I'm finding the early game of this a bit constricting, and not totally happy with the paltry amount of interactions in towns, but hopefully that opens up later.

I finally beat that big worm last night though, then got my ass handed to me by soldiers in the fortress. I still don't really understand how united attacks happen and maybe that's part of my problem, but it's still a fun experience.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Like Tizoc, I can't find any clues about the spectres, but I won't spoil myself on that. In general I'm finding the early game of this a bit constricting, and not totally happy with the paltry amount of interactions in towns, but hopefully that opens up later.

I finally beat that big worm last night though, then got my ass handed to me by soldiers in the fortress. I still don't really understand how united attacks happen and maybe that's part of my problem, but it's still a fun experience.
If an enemy turn is in between your characters and you manage to kill them, all your characters that get linked by that defeated enemy will perform a united attack. I was unsure about this for the first hour or two.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This game is such a breath of fresh air. It somehow feels both like an undiscovered gem from the PS2 era, and at the same time kind of modern in its experimentation with the JRPG format. I love that I'm not railroaded down a linear path and the battles are actually really fun. More fun than my time with Romancing SaGa 2, to be honest.

If an enemy turn is in between your characters and you manage to kill them, all your characters that get linked by that defeated enemy will perform a united attack. I was unsure about this for the first hour or two.

Thanks, you gave me the nudge to go read the help guide and it made a lot more sense.

Oct 25, 2017

Not impossible. Romancing SaGa 3 is getting an Asian physical release.

SSG is over a year old in Japan and had a physical release already. RS3 was simultaneous worldwide, so the physical version they are doing for that includes English. Since the SSG cart predates the English localizations, it is JP only.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Having just finished Leo's route, I'm calling it done for this game. I don't like how slow everything is compared to Bal's route and overall I would say I've had my fun with the game as is.
Need to write a review of it for Steam at least, so hoping to do that soon ^^;

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Finished my first route, Urpina. I must have gotten an easy version of the final boss because he barely touched me (3 battles with multiple phases each).

Started up again and rolled Balmaint, we'll see how this goes!

As an aside, where is a good place to get Dragon Scales? Toward the end any upgrade I needed required those and I could rarely find them.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, where is a good place to get Dragon Scales? Toward the end any upgrade I needed required those and I could rarely find them.
The final reward for redoing the fighting tournament in Azuhcan or however it is spelled nets you a bunch, 40 the first time and 30 the next. The main resource areas in the north eastern boundary often had dragon scales on the bonus reward list, but it usually wasn't a large amount.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finished my first route, Urpina. I must have gotten an easy version of the final boss because he barely touched me (3 battles with multiple phases each).

Started up again and rolled Balmaint, we'll see how this goes!

You can trade Fiend Blood for Holy Water at city where you cross to Azhuacan in Gradion Province, then trade Holy Water for Dragon Blood at Elhuacan in Thracini.
If you do resource development quest line, you'll be swimming in Fiend Blood.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The final reward for redoing the fighting tournament in Azuhcan or however it is spelled nets you a bunch, 40 the first time and 30 the next. The main resource areas in the north eastern boundary often had dragon scales on the bonus reward list, but it usually wasn't a large amount.
You can trade Fiend Blood for Holy Water at city where you cross to Azhuacan in Gradion Province, then trade Holy Water for Dragon Blood at Elhuacan in Thracini.
If you do resource development quest line, you'll be swimming in Fiend Blood.
cheers, i'll try that this run

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Wow, i just had a nice time with the game on my first Urpina playthrough and now I am at the final boss and after 3 hours trying again and again and just by pur luck killing the first phase and then again getting wasted by the second phase i want to stick a needle through my eyes. I am not an enemy of kawazu, but he always pulles the same bullshit in every saga game: Oh you liked this "non-linear" gameplay? Just running around doing stuff you want and fighting the way you want? Here is the final boss! You can only beat him if you got these techs.

I am really down from that, its always the same. Can someone please just tell what i have to do? I already play the free for all formation because otherwise i never draw before the final boss. And even then, after immediately debuff him with speed down and just by pur luck sometimes some people come before him. Then i try to stun him, but guess what? It only works in 1 out of 10 tries.

Maybe i have to grind because all my chars just have around 500hp? No wait! Its a saga game! You must not grind, because the enemies scale with you. Maybe kawazu should just release every new saga game with a gamefaq guide? Welcome to saga games, where all you non-linearity gameplay doesn't matter, because as soon as you visit the final boss, its clear there was only one way play it!

(Seriously, help me! I was always a big saga fan, i am just getting burned badly by this one!)

Edit: Oh wait, i am not even on phase 2 yet! I thought i reached phase 2, but he just replenishes his health in the first phase.

Last edited:

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting my post from the other page with a video of the third phase, but the final boss varies in difficulty depending on the order you did things. I did the earth serpent in Act I, followed the Phoenix in Act II, and found all the scarlet shards in Act III and I
didnt destroy the ring.
. Apparently that gets you the easiest version. My characters are average 800hp but I didn't grind at all. I did a bunch of side content but there were whole side quests lines I didn't even touch. I did do the crafting guide linked in an earlier post and that got tons of materials so I was able to upgrade a lot of armor so that helped.

I finished up the Urpina route last night at 38 hours, and it was a lot of fun!

I've heard the final boss can vary wildly in difficulty depending on what version of it you get; I must have gotten the easy version. Some of the regular "hard" battles were more challenging.

I recorded the final phase of that battle if anyone wants to see, Major End Boss Spoilers of course.

Ogniana was my MVP of the game. At the end she had the ancient Terra axe upgraded twice, and she wrecks house with it. In the endgame I was mostly using the "Lumberjack" formation just so she could get the BP reduction.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good. I just cleared most of the Act 2 side quests for Urpina, and I'm just floored by how much there is to do. I feel like I might stop after Urpina because I don't know if I have time for the other 3 characters, but this game is just so impressive.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Damn, it seems like I'm almost done learning all the techs for a specific weapon on some of my characters. Still in Act 1. Kind of killed my buzz to learn that.

EDIT: Also, in the lower left part of the map I am getting stars above locations after I "beat" them, its saying I completely a pilgrimage. I don't really know what this stuff means, any insight?

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Urpina's story!! Took me over 70 hours >.< I guess I was taking my sweet time compared to everyone else. Final boss was easy for me but I really have no idea how to trigger the different variations so maybe I got one of the easier ones.

I just briefly started Leonard and Taria's stories briefly to see what they were like, and I love both of them already. Totally different vibes from Urpina and I can't decide which one I want to continue with.

In the meantime I guess I'll give my overall thoughts or "review" of this game.

In short, I LOVED this game. I'd been looking forward to this game for a while, ever since duckroll made that post about it long ago, so I had high expectations going in. And yeah, it really exceeded my expectations! I could write a whole essay about why this game is great, but I guess I'll summarize my thoughts in a couple of quick points:
  • The game has a great sense of mystery and exploration. In a way it recaptures a kind of feeling I had when playing Zelda 1, how you're wandering this world not really sure what you're going to find, and how the game gives you brief and cryptic clues for how things work.
  • The structure of the game is very fast-paced, giving it a highly addictive quality. You can always get to the next town/battle/story point very quickly, so I always have the feeling of wanting to go just a bit further to see what comes next.
  • The battle system is super fun. There a lot of good things I can say about it, but I think the most key aspect is how it asks you to actively engage with the enemy AI. You're constantly trying to predict what the enemy is going to do and thinking about how to react to that. In contrast, in many other turn-based RPGs it just feels like you're fighting a brick wall.
  • The character design is S-tier. I'm surprised I haven't heard more people talk about this, because seriously it's so good. Everyone is so colorful, and interesting, and not stupid sexualized. I always look forward to recruiting new characters just because they're just all so cool.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Started Leonard run and I feel... Pretty lost?
I mean, it's clear that the game gives you a direction by pointing Azhuacan again, but the road is full of detours and events: some of them are the same as Urpina's (the Phoenix), others are new (the golden Staff in Provincia Maurehua, i think?) and I can't decide on which one focusing for the time being.
Lissa is very cool and pretty strong too, but the rest of the cast is kinda weak: I recruited Balmaint and is the only one I can count on for good damage. Also, Guinivere has a cool magic set. I told myself I'll use weapons I skipped in my first play through, like axe and martial artist, but I'm definitely missing my Lewis and his spear skills.
Is martial arts' skill set convenient? The fact that one can't improve equipment is quite the backslash.

P.S. And even in this run, I failed to build the tower and I still have no idea how to resolve the baby quest and how to light up the eastern glyph. Bof

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still going along, picking fights Bc I love the combat system. This is easily my favorite RPG in the last few years and is probably in my top 5 of all time now for console RPGs. It's just fun to play and each fight is tough.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I beat Balmaint's story. The game is great. I won't rush to play any other character arch yet. I will do that in a few months.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Geez, I hope it doesn't take long to people to make guides about this game, I just spent two hours in marchiam Bicyniro getting trolled by the woman.

EDIT: okay, something's definitely wrong with my Leonard playthrough; too much freedom, I don't think I'm using the right approach, I read that for this reason the amount of contents could potentially be insane, but in 20 hours I'm already at Azhuachan
clearly the Firebringer beat me up, having characters with just 600 Hp and not having the best equip or the strongest techs
Point is, I'm trying to explore everything and there are a couple of scarlet shards I don't know how to take (which is fine,happened also in my Urpina playthrough), besides there's the Phoenix story and... Not much else remains, I'm afraid. Like, Leonard's story isn't even divided in chapters? I feel like i'm missing on a lot of contents and have no idea how to access it.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck in Taria's story. I followed the phoenix to the southeastern boundary, and I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I've interacted with everything on the map but I can't make progress. Here's what I've done specifically:

- Got the pirate captain party member in Bicyniro, failed to cross the whirlpool by boat
- Got enough feathers to help that guy successfully fly, but every time I try to fly myself I fail
- Did the thing at the secret flower garden
- Did a thing at the waterfall

Not really sure what else I can do.

Can someone help? T_T

Edit: I did some searching online and found the following:
Apparently you can go to Azhuacan and do some things to get the blessings of the celestials to allow you to cross the whirlpool and get to the egg by boat.

It seems odd because it really feels like there should be some way of flying there, because the game tells you the guy wants to fly to the island. But if there is, I can't figure it out.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck in Taria's story. I followed the phoenix to the southeastern boundary, and I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I've interacted with everything on the map but I can't make progress. Here's what I've done specifically:

- Got the pirate captain party member in Bicyniro, failed to cross the whirlpool by boat
- Got enough feathers to help that guy successfully fly, but every time I try to fly myself I fail
- Did the thing at the secret flower garden
- Did a thing at the waterfall

Not really sure what else I can do.

Can someone help? T_T

Edit: I did some searching online and found the following:
Apparently you can go to Azhuacan and do some things to get the blessings of the celestials to allow you to cross the whirlpool and get to the egg by boat.

It seems odd because it really feels like there should be some way of flying there, because the game tells you the guy wants to fly to the island. But if there is, I can't figure it out.
Yes, the phoenix's path meanders all over the place. If you follow it to the north instead of going to the southeast boundary you can get the blessing before you even know you need it. I ended up doing that and it was kind of confusing.

Oddly enough you can get the blessing even in games where you don't need to get past the whirlpool. I think it may be part of a different quest line seeing as how all the priests seem to want it if you travel to a pilgrimage site after obtaining it.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Sorry if this has been answered before, but could anyone explain the level scaling in this game (or point me to something that explains it)? From what the OP says about it, it sounds like enemies get stronger per combat, but scale up harder per unique combat? I'm mostly wondering if it's okay to grind in a repeatable encounter to try to unlock specific techs/roles.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered before, but could anyone explain the level scaling in this game (or point me to something that explains it)? From what the OP says about it, it sounds like enemies get stronger per combat, but scale up harder per unique combat? I'm mostly wondering if it's okay to grind in a repeatable encounter to try to unlock specific techs/roles.

Yes, grinding a specific encounter—particularly the harder it rates—will be a net positive for your group's gains relative to enemies'.

Enemies aren't necessarily getting stronger every fight, but each encounter raises your invisible Battle Rank (BR) by 10%, so after 10 fights, enemies' scaling will move up a level, so to speak. Consecutive fights of a specific repeatable encounter gain 1/5 the BR, so 2%.

Because BR gain is per fight regardless of fight difficulty, and more difficult fights give higher rewards / stat gains, it's more effective to grind on Hard fights than it is Easy, if you're up to it.

If you want to check your BR, you can calculate it from the listed crystal rewards for fights using this chart:

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Yes, grinding a specific encounter—particularly the harder it rates—will be a net positive for your group's gains relative to enemies'.

Enemies aren't necessarily getting stronger every fight, but each encounter raises your invisible Battle Rank (BR) by 10%, so after 10 fights, enemies' scaling will move up a level, so to speak. Consecutive fights of a specific repeatable encounter gain 1/5 the BR, so 2%.

Because BR gain is per fight regardless of fight difficulty, and more difficult fights give higher rewards / stat gains, it's more effective to grind on Hard fights than it is Easy, if you're up to it.

If you want to check your BR, you can calculate it from the listed crystal rewards for fights using this chart:

Great! Thanks for sharing this, it's just what I needed.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Great! Thanks for sharing this, it's just what I needed.

Worth noting in addition to everything I laid out that enemies getting stronger isn't necessarily bad. As enemies scale up, so too do the rewards and stats your party gains. You're never going to find yourself making the game unbeatable in practice. Just, if you want to really outpace enemies, consecutive refights are the way to go for sure.

The final boss, IIRC, does not scale with BR at all, rather its difficulty is (highly) dependent on choices made throughout the game that differ by main character, ranging from easy to very hard. But you can grind to match it.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Does anybody know where I can get the bow that teaches you plasma shot? I'm still missing it.

Also, do you get bonuses for using the element that matches the encounter's element? Is that just for spells or characters too?

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
(1) Don't know, but you'll probably find that information in the spreadsheet.

(2) I want to say it's both spells and characters?
Awesome, thanks.
Also, random question. I figure from your avatar you have some experience playing Taria haha, did you ever figure out the baby quest? Is it only able to be completed when its intertwined with the scarlet shard there? I didn't realize there were many different shards so right now Im going around the world trying to avoid progressing to the next chapter since I've already acquired all but one shard I need.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Also, random question. I figure from your avatar you have some experience playing Taria haha, did you ever figure out the baby quest? Is it only able to be completed when its intertwined with the scarlet shard there? I didn't realize there were many different shards so right now Im going around the world trying to avoid progressing to the next chapter since I've already acquired all but one shard I need.

No idea, sorry. Someone more knowledgeable, like Aeana , might know.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC it is the case that spells power up based on the encounter's element; I believe their icons pulse when selecting them in-battle just like characters' icons do when you're selecting who to bring?

Anyway, I finally played a bit more last night; I last played a couple weeks ago but that was barely anything so it's been basically a month, whoops. I do wanna start at least playing more every week, if only that; this is a fine enough thing to play in little sessions like that, as long as it's often enough that I'll actually finish it! It's a really neat game that I want to see through rather than falling off, but the structure both helps and hurts that depending on how on top of checking in on all what I'm currently playing I am. And... lately I've been really messy about that, so.

Maybe doesn't help that I was feeling a bit lost about what to do with my party and then this happened, so I've lost all sense of what I was even vaguely planning. I always say yes when people ask to join because I haven't seen a downside to it - worst case I just get new formations - but now I feel weird about all these extras crowding around my party and I don't know if it's even worth the time to get all these techs again on them.

I also need to experiment with more formations. I was starting to use Phoenix Dance or w/e more, to concentrate on countering with Jamto... but then last night, I consistently had enemies target everyone else, which sucked as they just got destroyed. It was really confusing and I don't know if I'm missing something about it now, or if I just had terrible luck with their targeting. Meanwhile I have a lot of the "this weapon type costs less" ones that I have not really used since often it feels like betting way too much on one character's attacks? Hmm.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I also need to experiment with more formations. I was starting to use Phoenix Dance or w/e more, to concentrate on countering with Jamto... but then last night, I consistently had enemies target everyone else, which sucked as they just got destroyed. It was really confusing and I don't know if I'm missing something about it now, or if I just had terrible luck with their targeting. Meanwhile I have a lot of the "this weapon type costs less" ones that I have not really used since often it feels like betting way too much on one character's attacks? Hmm.
The way I understand enemy targeting is that they have an AI, so they try to do smart things like attacking weakened or surrounded characters. And then there is a layer of RNG on top of that. So something like Phoenix Dance moves the RNG slightly in that character's favor but it doesn't completely override the AI. That's why I don't really like Phoenix Dance. Using cover skills is a much better way to protect your fragile characters IMO.

The "weapon skills cost less" formations are really good in my opinion if you have one character that is your main damage dealer. Like axe for example has a lot of powerful high BP attacks so the axe formation is pretty good if you focus on buffing/supporting your axe character.

Overall I would say formations aren't *too* important though. I used Royal Hearts exclusively for like 70% of the game before I finally started experimenting with them.