• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this!
I think I remember Duckroll hyping this on the-place-that-shall-not-be-names years ago abd I just knew we were never getting it in the US. Now we have this, RS3, Seiken 3 and a full remake of it coming!!

So is it coming out tonight at midnight? I'm guessing it will be Tuesday at noon lol based on the last few times I hoped a Switch game launched at midnight

Nintendo saying the 2nd hints that it might be a simultaneous release worldwide. The 3rd is the 30th anniversary for the franchise.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should ask about game structure, since I actually don't know much about some aspects still - are you intended to play through with each character, like routes? Or is more just picking a character and playing it once with them, then maybe coming back much later for a replay with a different character to change it up? There's seemingly a lot of stuff to see even in one character's playthrough, so...

Y'all better all buy this game. It has the best battle system and some of the best quests in JRPGs in the last decade or so.

You're definitely the one who sold me on it back then, so I'm another person hoping you didn't let them down, haha.

Urpina is going to be the smoothest first experience. It's not just about difficulty but the way it introduces the world to you. Leonard would be a worse first character if you're interested in the world building, since he doesn't care about any of that stuff.

Edit: also forgot to note that you can cancel out of the questionnaire to choose a character directly, but you probably don't want to do this, because you don't get a blessing if you do.

Would you still recommend them first for someone who's never played SaGa, or is someone else a better fit? Guessing they'll still be the best, but want to be sure when I jump in.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Well the glowing recommendations in this thread has convinced me to pick this up.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something that might be useful for people who wonder which platform to buy the game on:
saga_pf.jpg

720p in portable mode on Switch, adjustable in the options on Steam.
Though the Switch version had some strange frame pacing issues, if I recall correctly...?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Based on the recommendations in this thread I'll be picking it up. I normally don't go so "blind" into purchasing but I've heard great things about this series.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any info on how the Android version runs? Consider getting this on me Pixel 3.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'd like to get a nice in depth RPG soon, assuming I can find out where the hell my switch is, but I'm kind of debating this or The Last Remnant. I feel like they'll strike similar itches for me, but I've played a good amount of TLR on the 360 back in the day and I know that it's more straight forward presentation might be more of a safe choice for me. I don't know 😞

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Something that might be useful for people who wonder which platform to buy the game on:
saga_pf.jpg

720p in portable mode on Switch, adjustable in the options on Steam.
Though the Switch version had some strange frame pacing issues, if I recall correctly...?
I know what the english parts say...

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah, I broached the subject a bit in my earlier post, but I want to make it very clear: this game has a very different structure from a traditional RPG.

How similar (or not) is it to unlimited saga? Im a fan of the series but that one was too abstracted for my tastes. I'm concerned that this is in the same vein.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a full list of improvements that were made in Ambitions compared to the original Vita release?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
How similar (or not) is it to unlimited saga? Im a fan of the series but that one was too abstracted for my tastes. I'm concerned that this is in the same vein.
Unlimited SaGa is a straight up board game. Scarlet Grace is not that. You can move freely on the world map, and there's no dice rolls or anything like that.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I'm a little surprised the OP doesn't make mention of the fact this game doesn't have dungeons or towns in a strict sense.
I should have mentioned that. Included it in the intro now, thanks.

is the Switch Port good?
It's good. As was mentioned before, you can choose between two interfaces: TV and portable. The game also supports touch screen on Switch. Only thing I noticed is that if you play for many hours (>10hours) straight, the game's frame rate starts to drop and the game starts to slow down a lot. It probably has to do something with the game's caching, since rebooting the game helps.

Is there somewhere I can see what all the party members look like?
Check the SaGa Wiki.

Is this going to be as vague and obtuse as Saga 3 with all the hidden rngs/mechanics?
It's a little more transparant than the older titles. For example, it shows which techs you can still learn with your current weapon (instead of having to look up skill trees). Ambitions also introduced a gauge for the development of your magic, which the original Vita version severely lacked. That said, it's still a SaGa title.

I guess I should ask about game structure, since I actually don't know much about some aspects still - are you intended to play through with each character, like routes? Or is more just picking a character and playing it once with them, then maybe coming back much later for a replay with a different character to change it up? There's seemingly a lot of stuff to see even in one character's playthrough, so...
You can perfectly play it once to get a fulfilling experience from the game. There's a lot to see with one character's playthrough, indeed, but also a lot to miss - which you don't know about until you give another character a shot. The game expands the 'character selector' at the beginning of the game a little with NG+. And then some more during NG++++.

I cant imagine they added a dub. Probably Japanese voices with english text.
This is (a part of) the Japanese voice cast. I included the original Japanese name in case anyone got mistranslated (please let me know):
  • Adill (日野聡, Satoshi Hino)
  • Antonius (阪口周平, Shuhei Sakaguchi)
  • Arthur (KENN, KENN)
  • Arthurgirl (三森すずこ, Suzuko Mimori)
  • Aslana (田中理恵, Rie Tanaka)
  • Balmant (楠大典, Taiten Kusunoki)
  • Beatrice (高橋李依, Rie Takahashi)
  • Camelia (園崎未恵, Mie Sonozaki)
  • Compass (志田有彩, Arisa Shida)
  • Elisabeth (阿澄佳奈, Kana Asumi)
  • Elysed (伊藤静, Shizuka Ito)
  • Firebringer (杉田智和, Tomokazu Sugita)
  • Irene (高乃麗, Urara Takano)
  • Kahn (井上和彦, Kazuhiko Inoue)
  • Leonard (内田雄馬, Uchida Yuma)
  • Lewis (玉木雅士, Masashi Tamaki)
  • Mach (西田望見, Nozomi Nishida)
  • Marigan (近藤浩徳, Hironori Kondo)
  • Maximius (青木強, Tsuyoshi Aoki)
  • Mondo (木村雅史, Masashi Kimura)
  • Nessa (大井麻利衣, Marie Oi)
  • Ogniana (森なな子, Nanako Mori)
  • Paul (花輪英司, Eiji Hanawa)
  • Rohsung (楠見尚己, Naomi Kusumi)
  • Sabit (堀江一眞, Kazuma Horie)
  • Sasha (甲斐田裕子, Kaida Yuko)
  • Seima (小松史法, Fuminori Komatsu)
  • Selhaan (江口拓也, Takuya Eguchi)
  • Sigfrei (平川大輔, Daisuke Hirakawa)
  • Strumiknen (後藤光祐, Kosuke Goto)
  • Taria (田中敦子, Atsuko Tanaka)
  • Urpina (内田真礼, Maaya Uchida)
  • Victoria (定岡小百合, Sayuri Sadaoka)

Last edited:

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
It's a huge, full-length RPG in a franchise that was almost dead that they're launching at $30, and it might got a launch discount. What more do you want?
I would have liked not to wait 3 years for something that runs on a phone. I'm simply not that interested anymore, I'll get it eventually.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I'm hyped for everything but the 8-4 localization.

Great OP. Hopefully a great game. Will be there day 1.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Do characters have individual proficiencies (with certain weapons/magic, etc.)? And if so, is it displayed in game, or is it like older saga games where you have no idea or just have to go by their initial equipment?

Oct 25, 2017
If I want to try this series for the first time, should I start with this or Romancing SaGa 3?

Definitely this. Romancing SaGa 3 is basically SaGa 6 and is an old RPG that didn't receive many gameplay improvements or polish in its remaster, while this game is basically SaGa 10 (or 11, or 12, or 13, or 14) and much more modern and polished.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Definitely this. Romancing SaGa 3 is basically SaGa 6 and is an old RPG that didn't receive many gameplay improvements or polish in its remaster, while this game is basically SaGa 10 (or 11, or 12, or 13, or 14) and much more modern and polished.
Thanks. $30 isn't too bad, I'll add this to the wishlist.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They have a habit of taking liberties with their translations.
Y'all Fire Emblem people have got to let it go
8-4 is responsible for some of the industry's best localizations, and I'm really glad they're responsible for Scarlet Grace, especially considering the shoddy work the SaGa series has received lately.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I'm not really a "Fire Emblem" person. Last one I played was Awakening, even if I have more of them in my backlog. XBX, Tales of Hearts R and Glory of Heracles are a few examples. But yes, they do have some hits and not only misses, I suppose. We'll see about this one.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
8-4 is responsible for some of the industry's best localizations, and I'm really glad they're responsible for Scarlet Grace, especially considering the shoddy work the SaGa series has received lately.
Yeah, I mean after how bad RS2 localization was and with RS3 being a marked improvement but still kind of rough I was really happy to see 8-4 worked on SG. For a series like SaGa you have to count your blessings wherever you find them.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Well, I'm happy that you guys are happy.

I'm happy enough that I get to play a game in one of my favorite series.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not really a "Fire Emblem" person. Last one I played was Awakening, even if I have more of them in my backlog. XBX, Tales of Hearts R and Glory of Heracles are a few examples. But yes, they do have some hits and not only misses, I suppose. We'll see about this one.
They're consistently great on NieR (both the original and Automata's were very good).

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
8-4 is fantastic, and whatever "liberties" they take are usually improvements, either in general or for English specifically.
i mean if you are translating you cannot do 1:1 without a dry sounding script you have to take liberties to adjust for tonal differences in different languages so i do not see any issues myself as well.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

The localization money is all going into Re UniverSe next year ;P

Praise the gacha lords.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
8-4 gave the bog standard fantasy story of dragalia lost one of the most fun, electric scripts I've had the pleasure of reading, so them working on this is a very good thing in my book

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not to be "that guy" but why is this 29.99? smaller scope, shorter than your average jrpg, whats going on?