• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Does anyone know how long the game is?
50+ hours? I think my first playthrough (on Vita), which was also my first SaGa, took me between 70 and 80 hours.

Do characters have individual proficiencies (with certain weapons/magic, etc.)? And if so, is it displayed in game, or is it like older saga games where you have no idea or just have to go by their initial equipment?
Yup, It's pretty much the same system as in previous titles - higher spark rates with their weapon of choice. Going by their initial equipment seems the safest bet.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched someone do the first 45 minutes and its basically just battles? Walk around from battle to battle (or set of battles) with very light narrative attached to each?

That's all there is to the game?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a "Fire Emblem" person. Last one I played was Awakening, even if I have more of them in my backlog. XBX, Tales of Hearts R and Glory of Heracles are a few examples. But yes, they do have some hits and not only misses, I suppose. We'll see about this one.

Those games are 4, 5, and 9 years old. Surely they may have improved on the things you've disliked since then?

Not to mention that I loved X, so I'm not really seeing a problem there. They've done consistently solid work in anything I've played with them involved.

8-4 gave the bog standard fantasy story of dragalia lost one of the most fun, electric scripts I've had the pleasure of reading, so them working on this is a very good thing in my book

Absolutely; Dragalia probably wouldn't have kept my interest for nearly this long if it wasn't punched up like that.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
50 hours with every character or 50 hours per character?
50 hours per character.

So I just watched someone do the first 45 minutes and its basically just battles? Walk around from battle to battle (or set of battles) with very light narrative attached to each?

That's all there is to the game?
It's pretty much that with quests and fine-tuning your party in-between. No towns or dungeons to explore.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're both quite different. RS3 is very free-form and allows you to go wherever you want, but you can get lost and become aimless easily.
Scarlet Grace is a bit more focused (depending on the character you pick) but it's also a bit more "brainy", as the battles require more thought process and require to keep a lot of things in mind.
If you come from a FF/DQ/Tales background, they are highly unorthodox anyway and don't have a classic scenario progression, so keep it mind it may not be for everyone's tastes.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering if they'd do another launch discount like RS3. It's £25 in the UK without discount instead of £30 like RS3 so I wouldn't have minded not having one.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was only a 20 hours game. Doesn't it get boring after 50 hours clicking through menus and mainly doing battles? Is the story interesting with plot twists?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'm potentially interested in this one. How are the individual character arcs and interactions? I'm less attached to towns and dungeons if the cast are well-written.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I thought this was only a 20 hours game. Doesn't it get boring after 50 hours clicking through menus and mainly doing battles? Is the story interesting with plot twists?
It can be 20 hours if you just try to power through the critical path of a character.... if you even know what the critical path is specifically that is haha.

Don't see why 50 hours of "battles and menus" would be boring though, considering people can easily play 300 hours of Hearthstone without getting bored.

Oct 25, 2017
Only SaGa game I've ever liked is Unlimited SaGa, and no, this isn't a joke post. Will I like this game?

If you can manage to like Unlimited SaGa despite its weirdness, sure. Through I recommend Renowned Explorers as a good game sort of like Unlimited SaGa.
50 hours with every character or 50 hours per character?

Replays can be way shorter.

You want more of the SaGa series wonderful town and dungeon design?
not to be "that guy" but why is this 29.99? smaller scope, shorter than your average jrpg, whats going on?

Larger in scope and longer, and more replayable. It was a full retail release in Japan, and we just get to benefit from it being digital-only and Westerners having narrow views on what makes a good JRPG.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I got pitched to review Star Ocean and RS3 but not Ambitions (yet), so I reckon that'll be a late review unless someone else is covering it.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only SaGa game I've ever liked is Unlimited SaGa, and no, this isn't a joke post. Will I like this game?
You are weird. I want to be your friend, but then I'm afraid you'd come and kill me in my sleep.
Anyhow, if you liked U:S, I'd say SG is less weird. It doesn't have the roulette, and I find the world less interesting than U:S. Also, the music is back to Itoken (as it should, but U:S had my favourite Hamauzu themes).

However, while the battles are quite different from U:S, it incorporate a similar idea in that the characters can get really tired while fighting, and you need to alternate them to allow them to recover.

It really depends what you liked in U:S.
Scarlet Grace is far less flawed than U:S, it's still very experimental, quite different... more accomplished than US, I would say. I think Minstrel Song took a bunch of ideas from U:S and modified them to fit its system, and Scarlet Grace did the same with the remaining ideas from U:S.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
According to Gu4n it has English VA, which is unexpected. We're 8 hours beyond the Australian release and I haven't seen any English footage anywhere yet.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
reading the above posts, it seems to be a about replayability but I don't really replay games (unless its a roguelike designed for it I guess), much less 50 hour games. I take it this is not for me then?

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I missed the RS3 discount i got it literally 10 minutes before they added it and Nintendo support told me nothing they could do.
I had the same thing happen on PSN. They just credited the difference to my account without me having to do anything.

Didn't even realize it was on there till I went to buy Days Gone and saw it.

reading the above posts, it seems to be a about replayability but I don't really replay games (unless its a roguelike designed for it I guess), much less 50 hour games. I take it this is not for me then?
You have never had to play through more than one character in a SaGa game with multiple characters before to enjoy the game so I don't know why this would be any different.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to play through multiple characters in this game, but there is definitely an incentive to, since each character has exclusive bits of the storylines. Subsequent plays will take less time than the first, though. Considerably less.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
whoa, English VA too? It's crazy there's been no promotion at all. Looks like they did a lot of work on it.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You just pick one of the characters and play it until the end of their storyline. There's no interaction like Gensô Suikoden 3 or Rudra no Hihô, where the other scenarios happen at the same time as yours: in SG, the other characters you didn't pick will remain where they are, you may meet them or not, but you won't be wondering "what was character X doing while I was doing Y?". Each story is a bit light compared to traditional JRPG, but they're a complete package.

The point about replayability is that it's a very modular game, with a good learning curve, so once you've finished it, you may want to start again with all the knowledge you've gained and try different team compositions or playstyle. And if you do that, you can pick a different character to spice things up. Nothing more.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You just pick one of the characters and play it until the end of their storyline. There's no interaction like Gensô Suikoden 3 or Rudra no Hihô, where the other scenarios happen at the same time as yours: in SG, the other characters you didn't pick will remain where they are, you may meet them or not, but you won't be wondering "what was character X doing while I was doing Y?". Each story is a bit light compared to traditional JRPG, but they're a complete package.

The point about replayability is that it's a very modular game, with a good learning curve, so once you've finished it, you may want to start again with all the knowledge you've gained and try different team compositions or playstyle. And if you do that, you can pick a different character to spice things up. Nothing more.

interesting, thank you.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
The game is up on the UK PSN store. Just past midnight here.

20% off for PS+ folks, so it's £19.99

Downloading it right now. Very excited as it's my favourite RPG franchise :)

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Odd that the discount is tied to ps+, it wasn't like that for RS3. Doesn''t really matter though, will be getting it regardless.

Anyway, glad they are doing a midnight release. Now to wait a few hours.