• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Huh... that's strange. My trophy list for the game appears entirely in Japanese...

My console language is English (United Kingdom)

Answered a bunch of questions at the start...here we go:

Urpina
+2 strength
+2 dexterity
+2 endurance
-2 intelligence
-2 acuity

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I am so glad that this game got the attention it deserves in the localization.
Why can't SE USA give it the same attention it deserves and at least cut a god damned trailer

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're harder so the game makes you get the 2 others more.
I also suggest to not begin with them if you didn't master the systems.

What makes Balmaint harder? Is the increased linearity that problematic?

I would have guessed that Balmaint was 2nd best to start off as, behind Urpina. Is there a consensus on rank of difficulty between the four mains?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love all Saga games except probably Saga 1 but I'm not sure if this will click with me.
You just pick one of the characters and play it until the end of their storyline. There's no interaction like Gensô Suikoden 3 or Rudra no Hihô, where the other scenarios happen at the same time as yours: in SG, the other characters you didn't pick will remain where they are, you may meet them or not, but you won't be wondering "what was character X doing while I was doing Y?". Each story is a bit light compared to traditional JRPG, but they're a complete package.

The point about replayability is that it's a very modular game, with a good learning curve, so once you've finished it, you may want to start again with all the knowledge you've gained and try different team compositions or playstyle. And if you do that, you can pick a different character to spice things up. Nothing more.
Rudra no hiho and Live A Live should be remastered by SE

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

I would have guessed that Balmaint was 2nd best to start off as, behind Urpina. Is there a consensus on rank of difficulty between the four mains?
Balmaint is linear in a way that isn't friendly to beginners. You don't get very much freedom to experiment compared to the others, and your starting party needs more work to whip it into shape.

In terms of ranking, I'd say Urpina, Taria, Leonard, Balmaint. Taria's not very difficult (she's very powerful), the main downside of choosing her first is the lesser degree of easing into the world and some of the systems. Leonard is completely open and new players are bound to get confused, and Balmaint is probably going to be much too challenging on a first run for most players. Urpina is 100% intended to be played first.

Oct 25, 2017
Balmaint is linear in a way that isn't friendly to beginners. You don't get very much freedom to experiment compared to the others, and your starting party needs more work to whip it into shape.

In terms of ranking, I'd say Urpina, Taria, Leonard, Balmaint. Taria's not very difficult (she's very powerful), the main downside of choosing her first is the lesser degree of easing into the world and some of the systems. Leonard is completely open and new players are bound to get confused, and Balmaint is probably going to be much too challenging on a first run for most players. Urpina is 100% intended to be played first.

You mentioned you never played the Ambitions version of the game. Were difficulty levels in the base version of the game, and how much does it really change?

I'm almost certainly going to play through all four characters, but I'm also interested in messing around with difficulty levels and some of the weirder side objectives across those runs. I have no idea what to expect from a SaGa difficulty level and when to start playing with it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

The possible characters you can recruit, story battles, regions and/or events accessibility and so on...
Easiest thanks to freedom is Leonard, Ulpina for story.
You're not likely to be stuck with Leonard as you can move very freely. But he's also interesting to do after you finish at least another one so you can get the most out of that freedom.

So yeah, Leo and/or Ulpina, then the 2 others... is recommended by the game.
You mentioned you never played the Ambitions version of the game. Were difficulty levels in the base version of the game, and how much does it really change?

I'm almost certainly going to play through all four characters, but I'm also interested in messing around with difficulty levels and some of the weirder side objectives across those runs. I have no idea what to expect from a SaGa difficulty level and when to start playing with it.
You can still get you ass kicked in the lowest so there's that.
I'm actually not entirely sure what is changed between difficilties

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

His scenario works best if you already know how to game the systems. It's a bit of an "expert mode". Urpina is the most friendly for those looking for a JRPG experience that eases you into the systems and the world. Leonard is the most SaGa of the scenarios and is good for those who want that for their first scenario and are ready for it. Taria I would not recommend until you beat at least one scenario to get a sense of the world and the backstory, because it plays on a lot of that.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the Buy Digital (or whatever) button not visible on this game's page on Nintendo.com?

www.nintendo.com

SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

I'm at work and I wanted to buy it "Day One" to show my support (even though I'm still in the thick of Daemon X Machina), but there's no button there?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the Buy Digital (or whatever) button not visible on this game's page on Nintendo.com?

www.nintendo.com

Buy SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

I'm at work and I wanted to buy it "Day One" to show my support (even though I'm still in the thick of Daemon X Machina), but there's no button there?

It's not out in the US for another 45min.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

www.nintendo.com

It's not out in NA yet. It's a midnight release.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Wooo excited to give this a go!

Still in the middle of Pokemon but I'm going to download this as soon as I can! I'm really curious to see this take on an RPG.

Oct 25, 2017

www.nintendo.com

Make sure you wait until the discount goes live. Nintendo fucked up the launch of RS3.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you wait until the discount goes live. Nintendo fucked up the launch of RS3.

There's supposed to be a discount? The whole situation with this game is so bizarre. No marketing, not even a trailer. A week prior to release, Square was busy talking about Romancing SaGa 3 instead of this. And that game costs as much as this one. What a mess.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, everyone be mindful of this. RS3 released at midnight and its discount didn't apply until noon, screwing everyone who purchased in the interim.

The eShop discount's been there at launch for other regions for Scarlet Grace, though, so it'll probably be there at midnight for NA as well... but still.

Oct 25, 2017

His scenario works best if you already know how to game the systems. It's a bit of an "expert mode". Urpina is the most friendly for those looking for a JRPG experience that eases you into the systems and the world. Leonard is the most SaGa of the scenarios and is good for those who want that for their first scenario and are ready for it. Taria I would not recommend until you beat at least one scenario to get a sense of the world and the backstory, because it plays on a lot of that.

I really appreciate everything you two have done to spread word about the game. English-language knowledge on the game has been a total wasteland for 3 years now, and I feel like Duckroll's forum posts are literally half of the English-language material that has been written about the game until now.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Nice to see Square-Enix is doing everything they can to insure the game's success. I mean, have you seen the steam page?

Oh, wait.

If it is actually there tomorrow, I'm jumping in. I recently streamed my entire play-through of Romancing SaGa 3, and Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, and I'm so in for this.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought.

20% launch discount like the Romancing SaGa games is nice.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just bought it.. i didn't know it has a english dub until people said it on twitter

Was about to skip this if I didn't knew

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I was already interested, but finding out it's got an English dub is an incredibly pleasant surprise. The pricing is kind of screwy (I'm literally 2 cents away, feelsbadman) but I'm down to clown. Just beat my last RPG, Destiny Connect, so this comes at good time.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Purchased.

Not being able to play Pokémon while it downloads is annoying.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Japanese audio available in the localized version?
Apparently not.

But it should be made clear that the voice acting in this game is mostly battle voices. It shows that extra care was put into the localization, but it's not as significant as fully voiced event scenes throughout the game. Some events are voiced, though.

(Edited to make it more clear)

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it was my imagination but can you change the characters element by how you answer the questions at the beginning? Could have sworn Urpina had a different icon and element appear one time out of the three times I went through it and got her.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Bought and installed!
I'm going to check this out for a few hours before bed then gear up for HEROLAND tomorrow. Excited to play both