• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's up on iOS.

I'm a bit skeptical about the RPG aspects considering there's no towns. Or is this game really focused on battles?

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Just played a little bit since I want to finish RS3 first, but this is going to be interesting. I really like what I've seen of the battle system - hopefully it opens up a bit more once I've got a wider variety of skills.

How big can my party+reserve be? I feel like I'll be changing a bit to heal up LP and the initial party of 7 seems fine, just curious if it gets bigger or if I'll have to replace people.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
The combat in this game is no joke. Got thrashed by three bandits multiple times before the battle system flow made sense and I figured out what I needed to do to win.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Just played a little bit since I want to finish RS3 first, but this is going to be interesting. I really like what I've seen of the battle system - hopefully it opens up a bit more once I've got a wider variety of skills.

How big can my party+reserve be? I feel like I'll be changing a bit to heal up LP and the initial party of 7 seems fine, just curious if it gets bigger or if I'll have to replace people.
Your reserve will only grow as you recruit more party members over the course of the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, one of the four protagonists' stories is way harder than the others, right? Is it Urpina's? I don't want to do the hard one first.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Switch version:

load times aren't terrible but a tad longer than I like

I got Urpina on my 3rd try woohoo!

Are there really almost no "options"??? I can't find sound options anywhere to turn down voice and sound effects. I like them but they are way too loud.

I am in the starting cutscene, gonna play a bit :)

EDIT!! Ok the game main menu has barely any options, but the in game menu has lots including audio sliders!!!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Oh yah I bought the JP Vita release as well and played maybe 10 hours of it. My Japanese isn't good enough so I stopped and got distracted by other games.
Ha yeah, it can see that happen. While not being that focused on dialogs there are many reasons to enjoy it a lot more if you understand.
The combat in this game is no joke. Got thrashed by three bandits multiple times before the battle system flow made sense and I figured out what I needed to do to win.
That's the beauty of it.
It was really refreshing to see a game with real battles, not just easy farming.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok the battle system is actually as great as the hype!

I have 1 stupid question thou:
How do you trigger a United Attack? I thought it was when an enemy is in between allies and you have them attack from both sides? I've done it twice but never when I was actually trying to so I am obviously missing something here lol

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Ok the battle system is actually as great as the hype!

I have 1 stupid question thou:
How do you trigger a United Attack? I thought it was when an enemy is in between allies and you have them attack from both sides? I've done it twice but never when I was actually trying to so I am obviously missing something here lol
See this thread's first post: defeat an enemy between two (groups of) party members on the timeline so they 'unite'.

I'm at my third time lol.
Vita jp, switch jp, switch localized.
Same!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Apparently not.

But it should be made clear that the voice acting in this game is mostly battle voices. It shows that extra care was put into the localization, but it's not as significant as fully voiced event scenes throughout the game. Some events are voiced, though.

(Edited to make it more clear)

Oh that's too bad, this localization went from one good news to another it's a shame they didn't leave dual audio for those interested.
Still, far from a dealbreaker, with the 20% discount at launch I'll get it tonight.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
See this thread's first post: defeat an enemy between two (groups of) party members on the timeline so they 'unite'.

Same!

thanks! I read the OP before I got the game and forgot that was there. Gonna have to practice getting these attacks it sounds simple but in the heat of battle not so much!

2 hours in and this game is very fun! The graphics are neat and weird (why does it remind me of Don't Starve?!), music is nice, the battle system is super engaging and deep and unique from anything I've seen personally.

The lack of proper towns and dungeons sounded like a dealbreaker to me, but the "menu" towns are still pretty and there are shops and people and events. I really like everything here so far.

I gotta sleep though so I'll dive back in tomorrow.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
What decides how many stars you get for the next round? Does getting criticals add to them? I'm thinking I might just restart with Urpina if it's intended to be the beginner route, I haven't got very far anyway

Also was the game originally conceived as a phone game? A lot about it including the UI feel like it minus the gacha elements obviously

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
What decides how many stars you get for the next round? Does getting criticals add to them? I'm thinking I might just restart with Urpina if it's intended to be the beginner route, I haven't got very far anyway

Also was the game originally conceived as a phone game? A lot about it including the UI feel like it minus the gatcha elements obviously
Check your Formation in the menu. It shows with how many starts you start and how you can get new ones. It was originally a Vita game.

Thomasmaurits

Nov 7, 2017
What a time to be alive, first Romancing SaGa 3 in English (never thought I'd see the day) followed by Scarlet Grace not even a month later. Really hope both are successful and ensure the series' localised future. I am seeing quite some mentions of RS3 on socials but SE really should up their marketing game.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sucks that I have to wait until I get home to play this. At least I get to listen to the soundtrack in anticipation.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, went through a labyrinth in the fourth area I was able to visit and the one easy battle label was very misleading. Ended up being 5 - 6 battles with the final one being extremely hard. Like giant metal arachnid enemy hard. Would have been a total wipe if Tomato hadn't sparked Dimensional Break and killed the last two enemies.

English VA any good?
Yeah, it is pretty standard stuff. Nothing bad, but it it only covers lines during major plot points and battle voices.

Honestly the characters have all been yelling weird shit about being split open and torn apart when they are low on health. Dont know if it is the tone they are using or the voice itself but the whole thing is pretty funny.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just looked on the wiki, how many characters does this game have? Looked like close to a hundred of them

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The people recommending this are also people I saw hyping up Nier before I paid attention to it. Aint gonna wait for an Automata moment again and miss out on something potentially fantastic.

So some questions:

- How lite is it on story? Any game its comparable to in that regard? I am currently thinking Octopath which also wasnt narrative heavy.

- Skimmed through the thread a bit and saw no towns and dungeons, but also it being menu based. My assumption now is something similiar to a FF Tactics ... somewhat? Would that be correct? Not talking gameplay just how you interact with the world.

Thanks.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
I get payed on the 8th....R.I.P

So looking at the starting characters, the best one to probably start off with is Urpina? I was thinking of trying Leonard but it sounds like he is the Lute (SaGa Frontier character) of this game in that its best to learn the game first before trying his playthrough, right?

Most of my SaGa experience comes from Frontier, second favorite Ps1 RPG with Final Fantasy Tactics being first.

Super glad at there being a english dub, very surprised. Ill try to avoid footage to experience it myself.

EDIT: reading through the last page, seems like my assumption about Leonard is correct. Really wanted to try him first. =/

Last edited:

vladisaac

Nov 1, 2017
I was expecting to start playing the game today but the Steam page for the game is not available yet and my Smartphone can't run it according to the Play Store page.
Gotta wait one more day.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has anybody received any Review Codes for this yet? We requested one and was put on the list but never received one so i'm assuming they didn't send out codes in advance?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
How is the switch version running for people? Are the load times long at all? Any issues that would suggest it would be better to wait for the Steam version?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god this game is hard. I fought the Earth Serpent in Leonard's second map and managed to survive with only two people standing, both at critical HP.

This game is amazingly good at making you feel like everything you do is wrong.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Debating on whether or not I'd prefer a steam or Switch copy. Steam mostly so that it'd be easy to stream to my friends since I've done a few SaGa games for them. But I can always hook up my capture card. Hmmm.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like it's still not up on Steam :/
Anyone know until when the game will have launch discount?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
My question is, should I just go in blind? I've been using a lot of supporting materials for RS3, mostly because they are actually available, but there is just so much hidden information that it helps my enjoyment.

However, if this is a little more straightforward and you can't really screw yourself over too much, then I'd rather just play blind

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
what's the framerate on switch, 30 or 60?

i have not had a chance to play it yet, but pre-release they were targeting 60fps on all platforms (1080p docked, 720p undocked)
FavRKyy.jpg