• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I've decided with the launch discount I'll get this over the last remnant, now I just need to figure out if I want it on Switch or Android. I'd prefer Switch ordinarily but I get way more opportunity to play on my phone throughout the day and I don't know if this is a game I'd rather whittle away at or just play in chunks at night... Not heard anything about Android performance either.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
EK4Lj8tWoAAU9se.png:large

... 0/0 bytes

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So whats the differences between the Battle Voices, there's two choices between Default and Expressive.

Oct 25, 2017
So friends, do you like it?
It good. The world map is wonderful. I fucked around too much and a disaster struck and destroyed a town, then I accidentally got a friendly monster murdered.
The lack of explorable towns and dungeons is a strength, not a weakness. There is no RPG out there that has so many zone-changing side quests, which is only possible due to how the map system is structured and presented.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
US PSN has the 20% off price without needing PS+
Dunno if this is an error, but I grabbed it now

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Reading several reports about Steam version not downloading anything. Oh, Square...

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
See this thread's first post: defeat an enemy between two (groups of) party members on the timeline so they 'unite'.

Same!
Triple dip buddy : D.

I actually hyped a friend since the vita version and I'm gonna begin the game as he does at the same time on discord to have the reactions and see where he has trouble (everywhere ? Lol)
It's gonna be great.
I finished Ulpina and Leo, 3/4 Balmaint, not strong enough for last boss.
My question is, should I just go in blind? I've been using a lot of supporting materials for RS3, mostly because they are actually available, but there is just so much hidden information that it helps my enjoyment.

However, if this is a little more straightforward and you can't really screw yourself over too much, then I'd rather just play blind
You ca totally play blind. I did and it was awesome.
Just ask if you have trouble with specidic system or detail.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
what happens when a character hits 0 LP in this game? is it actual permadeath, or is it like most SaGa games where the character just gets kicked out of the party and you have to go pick them up again

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
what happens when a character hits 0 LP in this game? is it actual permadeath, or is it like most SaGa games where the character just gets kicked out of the party and you have to go pick them up again
You can't use for a few battles if I remember correctly.
It good. The world map is wonderful. I fucked around too much and a disaster struck and destroyed a town, then I accidentally got a friendly monster murdered.
The lack of explorable towns and dungeons is a strength, not a weakness. There is no RPG out there that has so many zone-changing side quests, which is only possible due to how the map system is structured and presented.
And you have to play to understand. How many people keep answering that's impossible after you explain that to them...
Glad to see people like it.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Square really doing their damndest to screw the game over.

Despite the download issue, I opted for the PC version.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
also the text is Very Small in handheld mode on Switch, like i thought i had the text settings set to tv mode instead of handheld mode until i opened the menu. the localization is good so far, so that puts us at two actually good SaGa localizations

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I started last night, and man is this what I was hoping for! Lot's of fun, such a cool way to actually interact with events and enemies, and a great battle system!

I'm playing Urpina, and Mondo's got an axe and knows how to use it! I had him using Dimensions End so much it went up in rank and got cheaper! Fixed him up with an attack boost and he clears out foes easy, especially when instant death occurs!

I appreciate that low cost moves also get more powerful when they randomly (or not so randomly with magic) rank up. Some weapon types have to use at least two BP for their cheapest moves, so it's a godsend when they upgrade and no longer take so much to fit in, especially since you wanna make sure everyone does their part to keep damage going, and the damage of those low cost moves go up so much!

Has anyone unlocked any good roles or formations so far? You can share what moves unlock a particular role by looking at it in the retinue menu, and by knowing what exactly unlocked it, you can try to hunt it down for other characters if it's useful enough for them! It's especially good since you can equip multiple roles as your highest ranked skill goes up.

I think I unlocked a role that makes weapon blocks and dodges much more likely by gaining two early protect moves, one is for sword, the other I don't remember.

Edit: it's the Defender Role, you get it for learning Apathy, the Longsword Counter move, and Deflect, the Greatsword Protect move. Both can be learned by using game-starting weapons, but may take a while to Glimmer if you already have a few moves in those weapons, so try for it in harder fights if you can afford it. It can help keep survivability up a bit through random damage mitigation and dodging, put it on your front liners to keep them from taking damage!

Last edited:

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017

You can try downloading the depot in Steam's console and it'll tell you that you're missing the license. The English files are all there, but they messed up linking the English/WW license to the new depot so we don't actually have access - probably due to them reusing the old JP store page.

Keep an eye on https://steamdb.info/app/686720/history/ for updates.

I actually bought the Switch version when it released and played for a few hours. Hitching during combat animations made me double dip and grab the Steam release instead.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys recommend this one for a newcomer to SaGa? I love all sorts of RPGs but I've never played the series before.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Would you guys recommend this one for a newcomer to SaGa? I love all sorts of RPGs but I've never played the series before.

It's pretty easy to get into, is super compelling to play, and unlike most other SaGa games, you can kinda regularly fight and build up your characters at your own pace without worrying too much about how it would affect your continued difficulty.

I'd say it's a perfect opener! Try going for Urpina or Leonard as your first play through, Urpina is a little more guided and eases you in, and Leonard has the most freedom to explore the world and the events that go on in it. Have fun!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I decided to go with the Android version so I could start playing immediately. No issues with performance or anything on my Note 9 about an hour and a half in, glad to say. I'd heard the Vita version wasn't very well optimized but I'm happy to say it runs well and loads extremely quickly.

Playing as Urpina, it's really good so far. I was able to beat my first intimidating looking monster (I don't know what's considered a boss) then got my ass beat right after by a normal enemy on the field lol.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Just unlocked another Role, it's The Fluid. It increases mobility by a ton, allowing the character to act much sooner in combat! You get it from Triple Thrust, a powerful Longsword skill, and Slide, a basic unarmed skill. longsword users only need to dabble in unarmed for a battle or two if they're lucky to get slide, and they'll be set to get this role!

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
So I started with Urpina and I'm more than a little confused.

A giant hole just opened in the ground with a monster but I'm not strong enough to take it on. Do I need to grind for better upgrades and abilities? It also seems like I can only get green crystals.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Two more tips:
- Remove gear on inactive members (there's a button for that in the Armaments section) and equip your active party with the best gear. This way you can save crystals.
- Don't hesitate to sacrifice a party member running out of HP to trigger a United Attack and turn the battle in your favour.

So I started with Urpina and I'm more than a little confused.

A giant hole just opened in the ground with a monster but I'm not strong enough to take it on. Do I need to grind for better upgrades and abilities? It also seems like I can only get green crystals.
There should be a couple of engagements in the area you can use to spark some new techs, get some HP or skill level ups or, yeah, crystals.
Any suggestions on best weapon type for Urpina?
Stick to sword.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting my ass beat as Urpina. I'm not sure I get the battle system yet tbh.
The main crux of combat is to make heavy use of unite attacks (and don't let the enemy use them if you can avoid it -- that means don't kill something in the middle of a pack of enemies, because when it dies, it'll trigger an enemy unite attack!), and don't ignore counters, interrupts, or protect skills.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Just wanna say, as someone who liked it and doesn't mind it here, it's funny noticing how many little things are reused from The Last Remnant. I'm only maybe an hour in, but some weapons, some animations (the 'Ready' stance for some of the girls) and even the battle transition effect seem to have been ripped right out.

Hopefully, like with TLR, I'll actually finish it, as it's the only one I've actually finished of all the Saga-style games I've played (FF2, Alliance Alive, RS2 are the others). I'm a sucker for Ps1/ps2 rpgs, so the 3d graphics are much more palateable/nostalgic for me and the lack of towns is a boon to me.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The main crux of combat is to make heavy use of unite attacks (and don't let the enemy use them if you can avoid it -- that means don't kill something in the middle of a pack of enemies, because when it dies, it'll trigger an enemy unite attack!), and don't ignore counters, interrupts, or protect skills.
Oh, so that's how enemies can use unite attacks, I was wondering.
Thx for the tips, I think my main issue so far is that I don't have many combat options yet but I'm sure my characters will unlock more skills as I go along.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i am so confused they make a big deal out of these games at E3 then sort of just nothing at release you would think you would want your audience to play these games as i can see many people who love JRPGS digging these who never heard of the series

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up on Switch, hoping to start it later. Been a while since the last Kawazu joint, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

i am so confused they make a big deal out of these games at E3 then sort of just nothing at release you would think you would want your audience to play these games as i can see many people who love JRPGS digging these who never heard of the series

To be honest I'm not sure there's that much of an audience for a game like this outside of the niche that would continue to pay attention after seeing it at E3. System-based JRPGs like this do not generally connect with the, uh, mainstream JRPG-buying public. Their bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Anyone else try to clean up the starting area as Urpina? I've just got the church and Parm fights left but I don't know if I can really beat either after several tries.

Edit: I meant Temple I guess. And I beat him on the next try! One more to go!

Last edited: