• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, his quest is 100% open and it's really easy to get lost or to even accidentally stumble upon the final boss. He is not great for a first exposure to the game.

but his battle music is so gooooooooooooood

seriously though I'm playing as Leo and I'm regretting it because I have absolutely zero guidance on what I'm actually supposed to do or when I'm supposed to leave from one area to go to the next one.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
So something about upgrading the wands in the game. If it says for example Aes only that means you will only have a chance to spark aes magic spells when you absorb flux. You can still level up spells of other elements though, just not spark new spells of other elements.

Just wanted to mention this as the game really doesn't clarify.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
First time SaGa girl and this game is very captivating, wild and interesting ???? I have NO idea what's going on most of the time but I'm like ok sis I'll follow the ghost that suddenly appeared!!! also props for SE for adding difficulty levels and generally making this a very accessible game difficulty wise too.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So something about upgrading the wands in the game. If it says for example Aes only that means you will only have a chance to spark aes magic spells when you absorb flux. You can still level up spells of other elements though, just not spark new spells of other elements.

Just wanted to mention this as the game really doesn't clarify.

Most spells have a default Glimmer associated with their element, but by equipping staves that specifically target certain elements, you can start getting Glimmers for that element from any of your spells, getting the chance to expand your spell list more uniquely as long as you keep the element's skill level up.

You will always be putting that flux into eventually leveling up a spell, but glimmer happens on chance and it tells you if you have a high enough element skill level in the little tips on the bottom left, so I suggest having one of every elemental stave just so you can make sure you eventually diversify your mages's spell lists and Glimmer a ton of different stuff.

One more thing, you can only Glimmer one spell of each element from any element's spell, and they often overlap with each other, so if you are trying to make the most of your time fighting with a mage, make sure to switch up staves occasionally as you get more spells and gain more elemental skill, you might find a certain spell provides something surprisingly powerful!

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The game has really mediocre first few hours and it's not a very good showing. I think I must a screwed up already as all the fights around me are "hard" and pretty much impossible to win with the characters I have. Even if everything is explained in tips it seems more obtuse to me than the other SaGa games.

I laughed when I sparked the healing spell that cost 5 BP and heal everyone and when you finally cast it it heals like 5 hp to everyone.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
I absolutely love the exploration, it allows for many more quests and event types than the usual town & dungeons and doesn't waste any time.

The combat system if fantastic, managed to finish a combat arranging 3 unite attacks in one turn, felt very satisfying. Just started to rely more heavily on counters and interrupts, I usually ignore those mechanics in jrpgs but here are designed very well... and also mandatory to ace most Hard and Normal fights

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It was a conscious decision to not have very many healing options. You can tell Kawazu is not very fond of healing as a strategy, because it's never been extremely great in the series, but it's even less viable in Scarlet Grace. You should be using your other options to delay, counter, mitigate, etc. damage.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I've taken the quiz 4 times and keep getting Urpina lol, I want to be a blessed ceramist ;-;

Edit: is the quiz bugged? Choosing totally different answers and still getting Urpina

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It gets much better eventually as you get protect, lightspeed, poison/paralyze/sleep and deflect abilities but the beginning felt so bad and unsatisfying. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns away people completely on top of the way it played.

I think I understand how to play it properly. I know to check the moves the enemy is using and to use an interrupt if they use a compatible skill or ranged if they use a ??? ability. I know how to position on the timeline to trigger a unite attack. When enemies use a move that costs a lot of BP it means it's really strong so you either kill it before it acts or try to disable it. You can shelter casters so their spell will always fire and won't get stunned. Problem is more about having good skills so far. The starting characters for Urpina feel really bad and weak except for her haha.

Biggest problem so far is probably how quickly LP goes down and you need to sit battles for it to recover.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Took the test and got Leonard, but decided to go Urpina so I can get the normal experience into the game. I know the random wandering is fun for this series but I wanted to try the more focused approach, especially after playing RS 3. Don't see a difficulty slider anywhere though.

If people are having issues with the controller on Steam, I fixed it by turning Steam's controller setting off on the game specifically. It seems the game has its own and it was inputting the controller twice, causing weird inputs.

So far I like the presentation. The music is great. The story sequences are basically visual novel style with voices. Haven't gotten into battles yet.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I've taken the quiz 4 times and keep getting Urpina lol, I want to be a blessed ceramist ;-;

Edit: is the quiz bugged? Choosing totally different answers and still getting Urpina

It's possible to get Taria. I got her my first try. The game just wants first-timers to pick Urpina because she's the most straightforward.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It gets much better eventually as you get protect, lightspeed, poison/paralyze/sleep and deflect abilities but the beginning felt so bad and unsatisfying. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns away people completely on top of the way it played.

I think I understand how to play it properly. I know to check the moves the enemy is using and to use an interrupt if they use a compatible skill or ranged if they use a ??? ability. I know how to position on the timeline to trigger a unite attack. When enemies use a move that costs a lot of BP it means it's really strong so you either kill it before it acts or try to disable it. You can shelter casters so their spell will always fire and won't get stunned. Problem is more about having good skills so far. The starting characters for Urpina feel really bad and weak except for her haha.

Biggest problem so far is probably how quickly LP goes down and you need to sit battles for it to recover.
You can play through the game without dying and Mondo is strong, so there are definitely improvements you can make if your LP are really dropping that fast.
The early battles really dont remain skill-less for a long time.

Roles on the other hand are a bit trickier to get as you have to use 2 or 3 weapons on the same character (or spark one skill quickly and switch weapon back).

But I kinda disagree. It's one of the best Saga at the beginning too for me. But I can understand what you mean also. The the first 2 or 3 battles can be tricky.

What weapons are you using with each character, if I may ask ?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
How do you use martial arts? Is there a specific fist weapon you need to equip?

Separately, do you just have all of your skills that you spark? Do you ever run out of space like in other saga games?

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Living up to expectations so far! Even early on it's pretty clear how much thought was put into the world and battle system, with some intriguing mechanics and all skills feeling like plausible choices in certain situations, and the soundtrack is kickass, as all SaGa OSTs are. Gear management might be a little annoying later on going by party size, but we'll see. The Switch version has some odd stuttering right when the battle phase begins, but otherwise it seems like a solid port.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
How do you use martial arts? Is there a specific fist weapon you need to equip?

Separately, do you just have all of your skills that you spark? Do you ever run out of space like in other saga games?
You unequip weapon. That's it.

You keep everything... for the weapon used right now.
You get others when switching weapons.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam version seems to be $15.99 on the US Square-Enix store currently

5ps8zfZ.png

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what was even the point of the opening quiz if it's just going to give you Urpina 99% of the time

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm starting over on PS4, because I have tried everything to address the major battle slowdowns when abilities like Siren, Devastate, etc. are used, and nothing works. Even tried Special K. The only thing that makes it stop, for whatever reason, is to alt-tab out so the window isn't active, but then I can't use full screen. The slowdown is irritating as hell, and it doesn't seem to happen at all on PS4, so it's time to switch over.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
so here's a fun thing about the battle system: enemies are also constrained by BP generation, so if you spend your early turns picking off the weak enemies then the final strong one is gonna have a few abilities up its sleeve

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing so far for me is how big decisions actually affect the game. I just had a major decision and reloaded to see what would happen and it's actually different and seems to have big consequences. It seems you could replay the same hero and actually change the story. It was something that never really worked that well for the series. They've tried this a lot with Frontier 1 and it was half baked and here it seems to be great so far.

So far the optional battles seem to be more difficult than the main story battles. Some of the optional hard ones are frustrating but the main story fights aren't.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great it's available on the PC? Goddamnit.

Do you need controller on the PC? Or is using the Switch good enough.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a weird issue on PC where the Dpads work in reverse. Analog is fine, but with dpad, up is down, down is up, etc.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
How are the navigation controls on iOS? I've only played SaGa 2 there and the touch controls were a bit frustrating. Does it support the DS4?
Or would this just be better on the PS4?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
can't wait til i can travel a bit more freely so i can revisit the towns with elemental blacksmith discounts

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
So am I supposed to be trying to spark every tech before upgrading a weapon?
Upgrade weapon when you can. It's easy to just craft old weapons again and find a good weapon for sparking a specific move you missed.

Except for wands. Try to keep one of each element at first. Just in case.

Once you know the game better you can get specific elements ahead while not keeping some others for a while.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up to where I was on PS4. I'm really enjoying all of the improvements over the Vita version, and I know there's plenty more stuff I haven't seen yet. Just super fuzzy feelings all around. Love this game.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
So what do attributes do? Str Dex etc? And what are glimmers?

Thanks
- Strength :
Raises damage of physical non elemental attacks.
Reduces damage received when defending with your weapon

- Dexterity :
It's for rapier and bow attack (as well as accuarcy, for the axe)
Counter strength
Makes buffs better
Negative status you inflict rate up
Brawl and Axe accuracy
Guard rate

- Mobility :
Makes you act faster
Helps brawlers avoid more and attack stronger

- Endurance :
Gets more HP, makes negative status go away faster I think (or mostly only poison). I have to recheck, feel like I'm forgetring a few details)
Gets more HP (only the innate number, doesn't work when adding accessory endurance I believe).
Reduce damage receiced
Cures poison and paralyse faster
Reduce damage when defeding with weapon

- Intelligence :
Strength of elemental attacks and magic of course
Negative status rate inflicted by magics
Better buffs from magics
Reduce fire, ice, lightning damage received

Acuity :
Lots of spear and bow attacks use it, magic also does
Negative status protection
Accuracy for axe, bow, brawl
Raises guard rate
Heal faster from sleep, confuse and anger (when you're forced to hit a specific enemy)

Glimmer is the acquisition of new skills for weapons. It's a bit random but varies depending on the power of the enemy, your weapon skill level, stuff like that.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Different stats depending on choices.
Leonard also has a big presence.
I think it's more around 50%, 40%, 5, 5, more or less.

Ha, I managed to get Balmaint on my first try. Lucky me. :P

Not sure if I'll stick with him, I wouldn't mind the "designed" first choice with Urpina. Leo would also be fine, I "learned" SaGa Frontier with a Lute playthrough, even though I went back and beat Red as my first actual clear. Balmaint does seem difficult, I've lost at least one ally on most of the tougher fights but so far nothing's totally blocked me (there was an optional fight labeled as hard, but the game basically told me I didn't want to try that fight so I avoided it). I'm getting the hang of the combat system at least...I actually really like the casting system since it's basically letting you spend BPs on one turn for benefit later on. I've stuck to starting a spell alongside some weak attacks and building up to stronger ones right as the spell hits. Stuns/Sleep techs are effective too for denying enemy turns.

Loving the game in general...if Unlimited SaGa was a board game, this is a tabletop RPG. Only real complaint is the two UI styles...I prefer the general design of Modern but the text is way too small for couch reading (especially the character stats). Meanwhile Classic is generally more viewable but some of the menu-ing is weird...or rather, I should say that Classic is clearly the mobile/touchscreen UI and they basically left in touch buttons and didn't label the buttons used for some functions. Ultimately I stuck with Modern long enough to learn the buttons and switched to Classic. If they patch Classic to be a bit more console-friendly it'll probably be the easy choice.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It drops to 30 fps during the dialogue, which is kinda weird. Liking the game otherwise. Lots of depth to figure out.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Ha, I managed to get Balmaint on my first try. Lucky me. :P

Not sure if I'll stick with him, I wouldn't mind the "designed" first choice with Urpina. Leo would also be fine, I "learned" SaGa Frontier with a Lute playthrough, even though I went back and beat Red as my first actual clear. Balmaint does seem difficult, I've lost at least one ally on most of the tougher fights but so far nothing's totally blocked me (there was an optional fight labeled as hard, but the game basically told me I didn't want to try that fight so I avoided it). I'm getting the hang of the combat system at least...I actually really like the casting system since it's basically letting you spend BPs on one turn for benefit later on. I've stuck to starting a spell alongside some weak attacks and building up to stronger ones right as the spell hits. Stuns/Sleep techs are effective too for denying enemy turns.

Loving the game in general...if Unlimited SaGa was a board game, this is a tabletop RPG.
That's good to hear.

You indeed got "lucky" considering how few of the 2 there are on the first game.
I tried to check online, couldn't find an old link I knew but I saw a list of the questions and I guess Ulpina might have a bit more than I remembered. Maybe 55 or 60% instead of 50. Not gonna do the math lol, but there's still plenty of Leonard.

It's encouraged to play characters one after the other but Im absolutely not against playing another one on the side/instead.
I did it both on Vita and Switch.

Starting fresh is always fun.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
this was vita game originally, square would have to make it a colossal fuck up to make it worse on the switch
Well Romancing Saga 2 and 3 are SNES games ported to mobile/modern gaming platforms and have 30 FPS, so it's certainly possible!

But then RS2 looks as if it was a port to potentially legacy mobile hardware before migrating to iOS/Android/Vita then consoles/PC with RS3 seemingly fit into that framework, and was still handled better than most of those recent efforts have been from SE. This is something newer made in a modern engine, so any level of actual care will get better results than Vita, yes.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Upgrade weapon when you can. It's easy to just craft old weapons again and find a good weapon for sparking a specific move you missed.

Except for wands. Try to keep one of each element at first. Just in case.

Once you know the game better you can get specific elements ahead while not keeping some others for a while.
In addition to this, keep the weapon tree in mind. A spear, for example, branches into standard, technical and thrust (well, and Ambitions added one more). Different branches allow a different set of techs to spark. I have Mondo equipped with a standard one for now and a technical one in my imaginary backpack.

Also, the Intelligence stat on your staff may be more important than its Potency: you want to do more damage with casting, not with swinging.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
In addition to this, keep the weapon tree in mind. A spear, for example, branches into standard, technical and thrust (well, and Ambitions added one more). Different branches allow a different set of techs to spark. I have Mondo equipped with a standard one for now and a technical one in my imaginary backpack.

Also, the Intelligence stat on your staff may be more important than its Potency: you want to do more damage with casting, not with swinging.
Indeed.

For Mondo specifically though, I like to use him as a shield so I focus on sword a bit and only get to spear when I have other characters on the job or it feels ok with one less.
The spear skill for protection is probably the hardest to get.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Battle at Teach na Macha againist the
fire casting toy and 3-4 elemental stones
just wrecked my world so definitely done for the night lol. Definitely need to reexamine how I deal with spellcasters and large groups.

Definitely fucked marketing for this game, didn't get any launch mentions from major sites unlike Romancing Saga 3. Hopefully that changes today or tomorrow tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Battle at Teach na Macha againist the
fire casting toy and 3-4 elemental stones
just wrecked my world so definitely done for the night lol. Definitely need to reexamine how I deal with spellcasters and large groups.
Try to take out the stones with AoE magic like Summon Lightning or Poison Mist while have (a) club-wielder(s) use their Distract tech to potentially delay the Flashfire caster.