• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty upset that I've slept on the SaGa series so long but if most of them are in the same realm as Scarlet Grace I plan to invest in all of them.
While the other SaGa (Mostly RS2 and Minstrel Song) are very interesting, they are also quite different from this one.
The only game of the series that is somewhat close to it is Unlimited. The design philosophy of Kawazu has evolved a lot in 20 years.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very close to finishing RS3, and reading this thread while I was grinding Asura convinced me to buy Scarlet Grace. Excited to jump in.

Is it too late to get an invite to the RPG discord?

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How to solve the Mt Plinio questline?

Am I supposed to alternate geysers and stones. Not sure what I'm doing lol.

There is like no guide for this game which makes very hard to do the quests.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
How to solve the Mt Plinio questline?

Am I supposed to alternate geysers and stones. Not sure what I'm doing lol.

There is like no guide for this game which makes very hard to do the quests.
You want to make the volcano erupt, and that means avoiding any activities that will sooth it like interacting with the geysers or freeing the sea creature. You want to hit the stones and fight the monsters in the bays.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You want to make the volcano erupt, and that means avoiding any activities that will sooth it like interacting with the geysers or freeing the sea creature. You want to hit the stones and fight the monsters in the bays.

Thanks I did that and
It destroyed the town bridge near it. Is there anything important there I missed?[/spoiler>]

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks I did that and
It destroyed the town bridge near it. Is there anything important there I missed?[/spoiler>]
You need to make it erupt enough so that when you walk toward the volcano, an egg pops out. You probably need to do it one more time. Also, the town isn't destroyed, don't worry about that.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
So for anyone who has finished the game as Balmaint is it normal for the earth serpent quest to start if you go outside the areas the game sends you to?

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
So for anyone who has finished the game as Balmaint is it normal for the earth serpent quest to start if you go outside the areas the game sends you to?

The scenario you get locked into from chapter 2 onwards depends on the first zone you enter at the start of the chapter. You happened to walk into a zone that triggered the earth serpent instead of one that triggers the scarlet shards, which is what I had as my Ch 2 scenario.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i seem to have hit a roadblock in urpina 3/scarlet shards:
I've destroyed four: The first one with the Baby, the one in the Normi region, the one in the beach region, and the one in the Queendom, I can't get into Hiberia, and the only other lead I have is out on the west coast with the Saint Seiya Reject and I'm unclear as to how to progress that mission.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
The scenario you get locked into from chapter 2 onwards depends on the first zone you enter at the start of the chapter. You happened to walk into a zone that triggered the earth serpent instead of one that triggers the scarlet shards, which is what I had as my Ch 2 scenario.
Okay, thanks. That actually makes alot more sense outside of me only being half way through his chapter 1 scenario when it happened.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
My awesome girlfriend saw my frothing demand for this game and gifted it to me as an advance christmas present :D

Started a quick game yesterday, got Leonard (he feels like my kind of dumbass) and did the two easiest battle to get the three water drops, I can already see the potential of the battle system. Sparking a tech feels nice already haha.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I've been datamining the game ever since the Japanese release and now I've imported most of the English strings, it reached the point where it might actually be useful to others, especially with the lack of proper guides in English yet. Recommended sheets are SkillTable (information on skills, their conditionals and what stats affect their damage), WeaponUpgradeTable (where you can see what weapons + stats can be acquired by upgrading what other weapons), roleData (where you can see which roles are unlocked by what skills) and maybe SparkRates, although I haven't worked out how exactly the probabilities work. I'm trying to make as many comprehensible tables based on the data as possible, but it'll probably serve well enough as it is right now. Here's the link: SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS - Datamine.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
I'm trying to make as many comprehensible tables based on the data as possible, but it'll probably serve well enough as it is right now. Here's the link: SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS - Datamine.

Wow! This is great. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

How can I acquire new roles with characters?

Typically, roles require you to learn certain weapon/spell techinques. Many roles require you to learn techniques from different weapon or spell classes, for example, Split Cranium (Spear) + Rapid Volley (Bow) = The Driven (Acuity UP L).

Gu4n was kind enough to gather and link this information right above you!

Last edited:

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Wow! This is great. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

Typically, roles require you to learn certain weapon/spell techinques. Many roles require you to learn techniques from different weapon or spell classes, for example, Split Cranium (Spear) + Rapid Volley (Bow) = The Driven (Acuity UP L).

Gu4n was kind enough to gather and link this information right above you!
I didn't explore this nearly enough, thank you! Still a bit confused on which techs come from which items but that will probably just take time. Also, how can I get more longbows and weapons in general? I only am able to equip one to a party right now.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
I didn't explore this nearly enough, thank you! Still a bit confused on which techs come from which items but that will probably just take time. Also, how can I get more longbows and weapons in general? I only am able to equip one to a party right now.

You will occasionally get additional equipment while doing quests, and there's also vendors that will sell a small selection of weapons in exchange for materials. Early game, though, it's pretty rare in my experience. I'm ~18 hours in to a play-through and I still only have two Short Swords.

It helps to recruit characters you come across, because you also get access to their equipment.

There's a shop with a decent selection in Stabiae within Provincia Thracini, the area with water geysers and the volcano.

Caprese in the Marchiam Bicyniro (beached area on the south of the continent) also has a good selection of weapons.

Last edited:

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You will occasionally get additional equipment while doing quests, and there's also vendors that will sell a small selection of weapons in exchange for materials. Early game, though, it's pretty rare in my experience. I'm ~18 hours in to a play-through and I still only have two Short Swords.

It helps to recruit characters you come across, because you also get access to their equipment.

There's a shop with a decent selection in Stabiae within Provincia Thracini, the area with water geysers and the volcano.

Caprese in the Marchiam Bicyniro (beached area on the south of the continent) also has a good selection of weapons.

Thank you for this. I know I've been asking a lot of questions here but if anyone has played Taria's story what am I supposed to do after I trigger the volcano and beat the boss from the egg? I can't seem to progress anywhere and have just been grinding.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Still early in the game (4th region of Urpina's route) should I be changing the weapon types of my characters, or is it recommendes that I just leave them with the weapon type they were proficient in at the start?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this. I know I've been asking a lot of questions here but if anyone has played Taria's story what am I supposed to do after I trigger the volcano and beat the boss from the egg? I can't seem to progress anywhere and have just been grinding.

At the beginning of the game? Did you use the feather in your key items like it said to? It shows you the direction the Phoenix went that you're following. Follow the road east to the next province.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
How...straightforward is this game? I loved Saga Frontier and most of Last Remnant but SF2 and RS2 left me with my head scratching at points. Reading about the magic glimmer system almost made me nope but someone explained it further in this thread and it sounds a bit more palatable.

I really want to dip into the game and support it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Still early in the game (4th region of Urpina's route) should I be changing the weapon types of my characters, or is it recommendes that I just leave them with the weapon type they were proficient in at the start?

Dipping into other weapons is mostly for Roles. Urpina should probs dip into Greatswords until she learns Deflect, and then can go back to Longswords since she'll hopefully eventually learn Apathy and the two of those skills will unlock the Defender role, which greatly enhances a character's chance to block.

How...straightforward is this game? I loved Saga Frontier and most of Last Remnant but SF2 and RS2 left me with my head scratching at points. Reading about the magic glimmer system almost made me nope but someone explained it further in this thread and it sounds a bit more palatable.

I think the initial explanation ingame re: magic is very strange, but once you take a moment it's like, it literally has messages like "There's a chance to rank this spell up" and "There's a chance you'll learn a new spell"

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How...straightforward is this game?
Depends on the character you start with. Some almost have a scenario with a linear progression for more than half their games, others are almost totally free-form.
Magic is more annoying than complex, really. It's very easy once you've done a few fights.
The battle system is more difficult, but very fair. It's really like chess, you need to understand the rules and think of strategies. It's really well done and it's like 80% of the game, but it requires some active brain cells. I can play RS2 and 3 on autopilot all day, but after a few hours of Scarlet Grace I often need a break because of how intense the battles can be.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

There's an extensive in-game Tips glossary that explains a lot of things. The magic system is confusing at first but is ultimately fairly straightforward.

As far as the narrative: as I understand it, Leonard is the only protagonist whose story is immediately open-ended. Urpina's the recommended starter character, and Taria's fine as well.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I'm gonna bite then. If Unlimited didn't turn me off from the series nothing will.

I'll look up on how to start with Urpina.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna bite then. If Unlimited didn't turn me off from the series nothing will.

I'll look up on how to start with Urpina.
You can choose. You take a "quiz" at the beginning of the game and it will recommend a character, but you you override the recommendation and choose whoever you want. I got Leonard, but chose Urpina.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You can choose. You take a "quiz" at the beginning of the game and it will recommend a character, but you you override the recommendation and choose whoever you want. I got Leonard, but chose Urpina.

Worth noting that you forego the stat bonuses/penalties if you manually choose, and those can be very nice if you get the right ones. The likelihood of getting Urpina from the quiz as a first-timer is like 85% anyway -- the game wants you to pick her.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Worth noting that you forego the stat bonuses/penalties if you manually choose, and those can be very nice if you get the right ones. The likelihood of getting Urpina from the quiz as a first-timer is like 85% anyway -- the game wants you to pick her.
Fuck, now I'm worried that I'm missing out on some stat buffs. I force-chose Urpina and there was zero warning about doing so.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do weapon glimmer require specific moves to proc? Got the Ignis element bow but can't get the last move to glimmer. It's the one after Rain of Arrows

Nevermind spammed Rain of Arrows and eventually got it.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Playing with Taria, all the ports in Mare Ilfee are closed, how do I proceed with the story?

If you're just arriving, use the phoenix feather in your key items, then you'll take a boat to the next harbor, where the story will proceed, and you'll do things before proceeding on a ship to the third and final harbor.

After that it's a little more open, but the goal is to light the lighthouses using the ores you've procured. If you use three different ores, the status quo will be kept, but if you use two of the same ore and an infernal, you can summon the demons the Minstrel sang about and defeat them.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the side-content is more or less the same for each character?
I'm in Urpina chapter two and I've done quite a bit of side stuff in each area, and kind of feeling like I should head to the next story marker and perhaps just go through to the end, and maybe do what I didn't do (or didn't finish) with the next character.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I did some research and as I thought there are plenty of misleading info everywhere about how enemies rank up.

Maybe we could add something in the first post ?

Basically each battle raises the hidden rank by ~10% but you can lower it to ~2% by fighting on the same spot over and over.
So either you go with different spot :
10 + 10 + 10... in 10 battles enemies get stronger
Or
You fight in the same zone and :
10+2+2+2+2...
You can fight much much more before any rank up happens.

That's it really.

Edit : My bad it's already there I just saw.
Some people are not reading it probably (including me if it was there at first lol)

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been datamining the game ever since the Japanese release and now I've imported most of the English strings, it reached the point where it might actually be useful to others, especially with the lack of proper guides in English yet. Recommended sheets are SkillTable (information on skills, their conditionals and what stats affect their damage), WeaponUpgradeTable (where you can see what weapons + stats can be acquired by upgrading what other weapons), roleData (where you can see which roles are unlocked by what skills) and maybe SparkRates, although I haven't worked out how exactly the probabilities work. I'm trying to make as many comprehensible tables based on the data as possible, but it'll probably serve well enough as it is right now. Here's the link: SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS - Datamine.

Thanks a lot Guan.
Been looking for more info on this game and your spreadsheet really helps.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the side-content is more or less the same for each character?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Side content for one character may be part of another characters main quest line and play out differently. Not all characters can access all quests either.

Sometimes choices you make during the quest can make a big difference, even alter the state of the region, and sometimes they pretty much the same for every character.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I did some research and as I thought there are plenty of misleading info everywhere about how enemies rank up.

Maybe we could add something in the first post ?

Basically each battle raises the hidden rank by ~10% but you can lower it to ~2% by fighting on the same spot over and over.
So either you go with different spot :
10 + 10 + 10... in 10 battles enemies get stronger
Or
You fight in the same zone and :
10+2+2+2+2...
You can fight much much more before any rank up happens.

That's it really.

Edit : My bad it's already there I just saw.
Some people are not reading it probably (including me if it was there at first lol)
What do you mean by same spot? Are battles repeatable?

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
dont have it. I accidentally killed the miners in the third region when I went over 60% cut. Did I screw it up? If not how do you get it. Thanks
I don't know exactly, maybe someone else can help you out here.

I compiled a table with Spark Rates, which shows what tech you can spark by using which techs on which weapon upgrade path and their probabilities. There are two sets of probabilities (probA and probB), of which I've taken the first one now. I don't know what the difference is or how the probabilities are calculated exactly, so please use the probabilities as some kind of ballpark. 60 is more likely to spark than 10.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Man it's so annoying that this game doesn't have a proper guide.

Like there's this sidequest in Urpina's story
the Labyrinth one. A black dog went in the labyrinth and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. I talked to everyone in the area, won all the battles but it won't let me enter the labyrinth.

Any help?

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Man it's so annoying that this game doesn't have a proper guide.

the Labyrinth one. A black dog went in the labyrinth and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. I talked to everyone in the area, won all the battles but it won't let me enter the labyrinth.

Any help?
Uhm, you're not allowed to enter? I've never had that. What you have to do when you enter is
venture in the opposite direction of the dog each time.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Any help?
Depending on what you told to the boat town (main quest), you need to go to the labyrinth to save someone who's lost there. Ignore the dog, he's for a different side quest.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on what you told to the boat town (main quest), you need to go to the labyrinth to save someone who's lost there. Ignore the dog, he's for a different side quest.
I already saved the person from the port town in the labyrinth. I'm talking about the other side quest with the Zegna defence forces and the Parm scout.