ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Saga.webp

Do you like simple yet deep and tough as nails turn based battle systems?

Do you like a vast amount of recruitable party members?

Do you like value for money?

Are you refined enough to realise that things like towns, engaging characters, dungeons and voice acting are all just fluff and budget inflators for JRPGS? Do you want a game that strips all this out and gets to the GOOD STUFF??

Ok, I might have lost people on that last point but hear me out. SaGa SG was one of my GoTYs for 2020. Like many, I was initially put off by how kinda low budget everything looks. However once I put some time in I found one of the most interesting JRPGs in years. If I was to compare the battle system to another series I'd say it has SMT vibes, with how even a normal encounter can go completely sideways without careful preparation. Exploration is heavily rewarded with tons of branching paths and optional bosses.

The game has 4 scenarios with different protagonists. It's been a year since I cleared one of them and I'm due another play through. If turn based combat is your thing I think you owe to yourself to give this shot. I'm just highlighting the Switch sale but it's on tons of platforms for cheap.

EDIT:
In my excitement, I maaaay have forgotten to specify the exact price.

It's €9.00. Nine Euros. The equivalent of 3 fancy lattes for one of the most unique and interesting battle systems in a JRPG.

Same price on Steam too!

store.steampowered.com

SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ on Steam

With the fate of the world uncertain, follow the journey of Urpina, Taria, Balmaint, and Leonard as they call on their might and set out to carve a new future. Take charge and shape your own adventure with ultimate freedom of choice.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This game is great and I am fucking terrible at it. It's like playing a D&D campaign with a DM who's planned for every eventuality. Absolutely worth playing if you haven't tried it.

And the music is incredible:

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
It's like playing a D&D campaign with a DM who's planned for every eventuality.

Well, this is kinda SaGa in a nutshell lol. But it also doesn't help that Scarlet Grace is one of, if not THE, hardest games in the entire franchise. But it still have a lot of tutorials which the other games lack completely. As it is the case in the franchise, it's a great game if you're willing to learn it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
SaGa Scarlet Grace isnt on Xbox but I did pick up Romancing Saga 2 and 3 that were on sale there, am I still allowed in the club

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
SaGa Scarlet Grace is fantastic and you should play it if you haven't.

SaGa Scarlet Grace isnt on Xbox but I did pick up Romancing Saga 2 and 3 that were on sale there, am I still allowed in the club
Yes. Romancing SaGa 3 Remastered was my first SaGa game and is one of my favorite games ever.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
maybe mention the price, it's 9€.
already had it on my wishlist, you got me to buy it, that's impulse purchase territoy.
haven't really used my switch in like a year and don't really have any games left to play on it, now i have something i guess.
mainly play jrpgs for the battle system so i might like this.

Last edited:

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i bought it when it came out and never really got into it. it looks good and seems competent but i got stuck very early

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I never beat this game and there's a chance I never will. But what I played was sublime once I got the battle system down. Truly one of the best battle systems I've played in an RPG.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It's also at the exact same low on Steam.

store.steampowered.com

SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS™ on Steam

With the fate of the world uncertain, follow the journey of Urpina, Taria, Balmaint, and Leonard as they call on their might and set out to carve a new future. Take charge and shape your own adventure with ultimate freedom of choice.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot about this game, except for having long-term penalties for your characters getting knocked out. Since it's so difficult, I want to experiment in battles to get better, but I also feel like taking risks is severely punished. I may be missing the point, but I would have been able to stick with it much better if there was no persistent LP loss between different events on the world map.

Also, because the game has scaling, I do worry very much about "building" my characters poorly and then the game scaling beyond me in a way that I don't know how to recover from.

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
I was planning on buying inc Saga Frontier Remastered to play as my introduction to Saga, but this is a great deal. Should I hop in here or stick with Frontier?

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
there's a few Saga games on sale the now - is this the best entry point to the series or is there a better intro?

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.... SaGa games.... not really my cup of tea... and I'll leave it at that.

Great artwork, at least in the 2D sprite ones, I dread to think what a 3D SaGa game that lost its sole redeeming factor would be like.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game. Ever since I played it, it's really stuck in my mind as one of my favorites. It does a great job focusing on what's fun about RPGs while stripping out tedium imo.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
one of my absolute all time favorite rpgs

it is honestly an incredible achievement to have made a game this good and this dense on such a small budget

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's also on sale on PS4 for the same price if anybody would prefer it there.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Also the Steam version has a platinum on ProtonDB, so it'll more or less work out of the box on the Deck once it's out.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
OP got me excited but the gameplay does not seem like my thing at all. May still get it just for the price but yeah something about it (gameplay-wise) is throwing me off.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
there's a few Saga games on sale the now - is this the best entry point to the series or is there a better intro?
It's a good entrypoint. It's the newest entry in the series, while the others are re-releases of significantly older games. So it'll likely feel the most accessible if you aren't used to playing older RPGs.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fantastic price. If you have some spare money to spend, you really should consider giving this one a chance even if it doesn't sound like your thing.

Pretty much all SaGa games are currently on sale, by the way. Romancing SaGa for 10€ is also a nice deal.

OP
OP
ArcticDonkey

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for highlighting the Steam sale as well! Added to the OP.

Honestly delighted to sway even a couple people into trying it out. Might as well also mention in case it tips a certain type of person over the edge, it runs at a solid 60fps on Switch.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off this one pretty hard. I'd like to come back to it at some point but I think I do actually need some of those budget inflators to be engaged, and also I had a lot of anxiety around playing "the right way" and not grinding by mistake lest I put myself in an unwinnable position (the same reason I never got very far in Final Fantasy Tactics).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off this one pretty hard. I'd like to come back to it at some point but I think I do actually need some of those budget inflators to be engaged, and also I had a lot of anxiety around playing "the right way" and not grinding by mistake lest I put myself in an unwinnable position (the same reason I never got very far in Final Fantasy Tactics).

That's really not an issue with SSG, no need for anxiety. From what I remember you'd have to try really, really hard to get yourself in such a situation.

...But then, I'd say the same is true of FFT. Because while its random battles scale, if you're doing that much grinding (why?), you should have the tools to steal their equipment for yourself.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That's really not an issue with SSG, no need for anxiety. From what I remember you'd have to try really, really hard to get yourself in such a situation.

...But then, I'd say the same is true of FFT. Because while its random battles scale, if you're doing that much grinding (why?), you should have the tools to steal their equipment for yourself.

Ah, maybe I just took the warnings against grinding too seriously then? I remember when I was reading about SSG that was one of the first things people would mention as a tip for newcomers.

I already own it on Steam and it's one of the games I'm thinking of reviving once my Steam Deck arrives sometime before the heat death of the universe, so I do hope to give it another shot!

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
This is one of the best, BEST JRPGs released in the last several years, I hope more people get into it and fall in love with it!

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I've never played a SaGa before. This looks interesting and the price is nice, but SaGa is the FF2 battle system series, right?

"You know... you remind me of FF2. I HATED FF2!"
fMZxEE.gif

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, this is an EXTREMELY specific game in terms of taste and I actually would recommend reading a lot before buying/playing it. You might hate the general system and "story" (or rather complete lack of it). I finished the game with Uzurpina and Leonard, still don't know if I like or hate it.
The combat is good and challenging but game has sometimes insane difficulty spikes and you can make by pure accident the final boss like four times stronger than he needs to be.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a SaGa before. This looks interesting and the price is nice, but SaGa is the FF2 battle system series, right?

That's where the series branched off in some regards from but most if not all SaGa games are very different from FF2 in terms of combat.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
It's a really good game. I fell off a long time ago because I hit a difficulty spike and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, but I need to boot it back up again. The music is amazing and the battle system is really cool. I paid full price and don't regret it one bit, and I'm a very frugal person who experiences buyer's remorse often.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Arguably the best SaGa Game and one of the best jrpgs of the last decade for under 10 bucks.
Just do it.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018

fMZxEE.gif
It's... nothing like FF2. As the other poster said it shares some common DNA with the game in the sense that doing things improves stats, but SSG has one of the unquestionably best turn based battle systems in JRPG history in my opinion.

While I can't see the price on Android due to owning it, I see it is 70% off on the Play Store as well. I personally really enjoyed it on mobile and thought it was a very very competent port, and perfect for pick up and play for a few minutes here and there. I know not a lot of enthusiasts play on their phones but figured I should give it a recommendation for anyone thinking about it.