• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
https://store.steampowered.com/app/686720/

Many people believed that there would be no way Square Enix would announce and release a game on Steam for Japanese audiences only and that a Steam release strongly indicated a simultaneous English release. Now the game has been listed on Steam with the release date confirmed. The entire listing, including the title of the game, is entirely in Japanese. There was a big warning telling people the game does not support English, much like several Koei Tecmo releases have done previously. So now there are two major Japanese publishers putting games on Steam entirely for the Japanese audience. Thoughts?

P.S. This game is very very good.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
What? Aren't the console versions coming to the West? Makes no sense if so.

Kinoli

Nov 27, 2017
If japanese market sees the value in selling games in Steam, I think they will increase the quality of their ports.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What? Aren't the console versions coming to the West? Makes no sense if so.
The game will eventually be released in English. There is just no official announcement or date because Kawazu has a budget of 5 dollars and he has to ship for Japan first before getting localization sorted out. The point is that they're going ahead with a JP only Steam release without waiting for the localization, which is something they have never done before as a publisher.
The quintessential Kawasaki troll.
He's not a troll. He's still beating up his fellow employees to level up so he can get the localization skill unlocked!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Simultaneous worldwide releases for smaller Japanese games are a common occurrence so I don't see why they should make an exception on Steam. The big takeaway here seems that they consider Steam significant enough for the Japanese market, which is a good thing.

Oct 30, 2017
which is something they have never done before as a publisher.
They have. Mobius Final Fantasy was initially released with only Japanese language. 4 (or so) months later they updated it with additional languages.

Edit: I might misremember things. the Japanese version might only have been available on Japanese Steam though, and they made a new app for the western release.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when people thought this game would be Vita's swan song and it ended up being worse than Final Fantasy Dimensions. I'm glad I'll be able to buy it for cheaper to try it out.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I remember when people thought this game would be Vita's swan song and it ended up being worse than Final Fantasy Dimensions. I'm glad I'll be able to buy it for cheaper to try it out.
It's one of the best RPGs in the past few years, up there with Divinity OS. And don't expect it to be cheaper, it's full price on all platforms. Even the smartphone release is like 50 bucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
As long as they eventually update it with the English translation, I don't see the issue. I prefer Japanese only games to be available on Steam than not.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Kawazu already affirmed that the English release wouldn't be simultaneous for what that's worth.

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/saga-scarlet-grace-english-version-in-development
"Preparations on an English version have begun," Kawazu said on Twitter. "It is not yet at a stage where we can promise a release window."

Asked if the Japanese Steam release will have English language support, Kawazu responded, "August 2 is only the release date for the Japanese version. The English version will be dealt with at a later date."

Last edited:

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
In some ways this is bold from SE but I guess there isn't much to be lost in making this move with more to gain. At least it will be another good indicator of how strong the platform is with the Japanese audience exclusively catered to.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know it already has a steam page and is releasing quite soon, wishlisted. August sure is packed.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ain't nothing wrong with FF Dimensions. Kind of weird to compare it to a 2012 mobile game though.
Sorry. It's the only game Square has ever made that I didn't like.

It's one of the best RPGs in the past few years, up there with Divinity OS. And don't expect it to be cheaper, it's full price on all platforms. Even the smartphone release is like 50 bucks.
It will be 44.99 during a sale.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
The studios are probably praying that this will encourage players to pickup Japanese as part of their skill set.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Whaaat, the game is seriously fantastic. Dunno' who's telling you otherwise.

Is it possible that this will come to EU/US on Vita too?
At this point I think it's really unlikely since the Mobile/PS4/Switch/PC version is actually a new version with new content and inprovements.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Interesting. Also, the vita version didn't look that hot, but seems like these versions have improvements?

Still listen to some of the songs from time to time. In fact, I will hear a few now again!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really dont understand why you would bother with a Japanese language only Steam release. I was under the impression there weren't very many Japanese Steam users at all.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. If you're working on a PC version for the overseas market anyway, there's no reason not to put it on Steam in Japan as well.

The interesting thing would be to see if Enterbrain or Media Create or anyone else comments on the state of the PC market over there a couple years from now. Steam releases will likely not make much of a difference, but it would still be interesting to have dadta, either from one of the analyst firms or Valve themselves.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is not official, unless Square released a statement telling so. Square in the past already put japanase only pages on the Steam store, just to change them later, so it's nothing new.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
https://store.steampowered.com/app/686720/

Many people believed that there would be no way Square Enix would announce and release a game on Steam for Japanese audiences only and that a Steam release strongly indicated a simultaneous English release. Now the game has been listed on Steam with the release date confirmed. The entire listing, including the title of the game, is entirely in Japanese. There was a big warning telling people the game does not support English, much like several Koei Tecmo releases have done previously. So now there are two major Japanese publishers putting games on Steam entirely for the Japanese audience. Thoughts?

P.S. This game is very very good.
I thought that SE had done this before with that one Arthur VR game, well to be fair they did region lock that one so if you were in the US you could not even access the Steam page for the game,this seems different. So from my understanding one of the issue sometimes with Japanese games on Steam is that native Japanese speakers are not able to find a game since most titles are either in English or go by their non Japanese title.

The reason that I mention that is because I think (but I'm not 100% sure) is that some devs said you can't change the name of a game or it's Steam ID (or something like that) which is why you see more and more Japanese games that have the Japanese name of the game in order to make it easier to find, stuff like Mega man is different in Japan and the west. I'm curious if they can change the name and if that would change stuff and if it does than why don't other devs change the game of their other games like say SEGA with their titles, as of now it looks like it's mainly only Capcom and KT that do duals titles (IFFY also does it with some games).

What I'm really curious about is how is handling the Steam page, I mean is SE Japan making sure that the game will get updated and what not or are they all just leaving it up to the western branch of SE, with the western SE branch relaying messages to SE Japan about bugs that people report and other things.

If it does turn out that this is in fact a SE Japan thing and that they want to test out some things by release on Steam at the same time that they release in Japan and seeing how well it does that way as opposed to waiting till they release in the west. Possibly to see how much of an audience there is in Japan and to see how much of an audience there is abroad that are able to understand Japanese games without the need of an English patch.

I wonder what we will see out of these, one possible negative thing is how some people may end up buying the game and only later realizing that it's not in English and leave a negative review just because of that, which will give the game a bad look with it having possiblity mixed reviews before it gets an English patch months later.

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this and see how people react to it in it's launch week.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The reason that I mention that is because I think (but I'm not 100% sure) is that some devs said you can't change the name of a game or it's Steam ID (or something like that) which is why you see more and more Japanese games that have the Japanese name of the game in order to make it easier to find, stuff like Mega man is different in Japan and the west. I'm curious if they can change the name and if that would change stuff and if it does than why don't other devs change the game of their other games like say SEGA with their titles, as of now it looks like it's mainly only Capcom and KT that do duals titles (IFFY also does it with some games).
This is somewhat of a weakness of the Steam localization tools IMHO. You can localize basically everything (descriptions, logos, even screenshots), but not the game's title.

And yeah, that means we end up with gems like "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 / 超次次元ゲイム ネプテューヌRe;Birth1 / 超次次元遊戲戰機少女重生1".

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Is this game better played on the go(Switch) or on PC?
Does this sort of help? https://gematsu.com/2018/05/saga-sc...ones-comparison-gameplay-platform-differences
it gives you info on some of the difference, I don't now how the limitations of D-input but I thought that the PC version would also be able to support Controller Sound Effects just like PS4 if you used a PS4 controller, but I guess not. I do know that games like Okami HD have native d-input support and even let you use the touch pad to draw in the game just like on PS4.

This is somewhat of a weakness of the Steam localization tools IMHO. You can localize basically everything (descriptions, logos, even screenshots), but not the game's title.

And yeah, that means we end up with gems like "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 / 超次次元ゲイム ネプテューヌRe;Birth1 / 超次次元遊戲戰機少女重生1".

You would think that Valve would try to fix that but then again a game may have a different title in different parts of the world, would the example of Megaman that I gave be Megaman, ロックマン ,Rokkuman, or Rockman? I guess it's also possible that having the game be called something even if that name only shows up in one region could be legally problematic or at least that is what I thought but then I looked up Attack on Titan and well it has the name Attack on Titan. From what I recall about that game legally in EU it can't be called that which is why it goes by the name A.O.T in EU and Attack on Titan in NA because of trademarks.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd rather have Steam/PC pushed as a viable place for Japanese developers big and small even if it meant untranslated games that'd get translated (or a separate translated version) later. Would've been neat if it were simultaneous but that period is when it's about to go wild anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
When will Square Enix create their own PCS store front? It would make alot of sense for them. Hopefully they'll see the value in it soon.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Is this game better played on the go(Switch) or on PC?
Lots and lots of battles, quick scenes for story/side. Performance roughly the same everywhere or at least exactly as it should be on every platform.
So it's really about what platform you'd chose o play that type of RPG. It's grindy but not the bad kind. The very very good one because each battle is a challenge (more or less) and the harder it is the more you learn/get from it.

The replay value is also amazing.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Kawazu has stated on twitter that there is an English release planned, so there's that. (Though I kind of feel like this will end up being a game that doesn't get dubbed)

I like games with good, quality dubs that make sense and feels natural however I think when it comes to JRPGs not too many get it right. In general no dub sounds better to me though sometimes I am curious as to what they say in game which isn't translated. Usually stuff like battle quotes, victory comments etc.