• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
SailorMoonMangaCover.jpg

Sailor Moon is an early 90's Shojo manga written by Naoko Takuechi. The story follows Usagi Tsukino, a hopeless 14 year girl who meets a cat called Luna and discovers that is "Sailor Moon" a superheroine. With the aid of her allies and the mysterious Tuxedo Mask, Sailor Moon battles the forces of evil!

Arguably the most famous version, in 1992 Junichi Sato directed an anime adaption that focused more on Sailor Moon's friendships rather than romance. Midway throughout Season 2, Kunihiko Ikuhara took over as the lead director until the final season Sailor Stars, where he retired from working on the franchise and Takuya Igarashi took over. Additionally, three movies were made to accompany the anime.

Various productions have been made to tell the story of Sailor Moon in the context of a musical.

Prolific screenwriter Yasuko Kobayashi wrote an adaptation of Sailor Moon in 2003. The series attempts to keep a balance between keeping elements of the manga while staying to the pace of the original anime, but the production values leave a lot to be desired.

Recently, Toei Animation is working on a new anime adaptation that is closer to the manga to than the original anime. However, although a Season 4 has been confirmed, not many details have been released.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Yay! My Sailor Moon getting Erep.

This is how I got into Japanese entertainment as a whole and I love it more than anything. I neeeeeeed Crystal S4 info.

Apparently season 3 of Crystal dub is going to start going up on Hulu/Yahoo View soon?

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
I didn't like the new anime (although things improved with Season 3), but the 90's one is still great.

Sailor Mars is the best one btw.

I'd like to re-read the Manga soon, starting with Sailor V. It's my preferred version now (wasn't a fan of the art style when I was younger but grew to appreciate it).

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly haven't heard if that's coming out soon, but I'm still waiting for more Crystal stuff, I really liked season 3!

Edit: I guess the season 3 dub is out, might check it sometime.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Ohhh, thanks for the heads up! It sounded like they were releasing episodes one at a time. All at once is a nice surprise.

For people who are poor like me, Yahoo View also has it for free.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about due for another playthrough of AS on SNES. I remember enjoying it when it was released even if the translation was a little.... Dry and to the point.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, always a shame they never did an animated version of Sailor V. I liked the PGSM special on Sailor V.

Actually never got around to playing Another Story. Should give it a watch one day.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So here's a topic to start us off, how is Sailor Moon viewed where you live?

In Canuckistan, it's seen as a trans-generational classic. Figures are in EB Games, Showings of movies fill up theatres, even if its a one-night showing. I've seen shirts of the series on folks in Grocery stores, plus we always have VA's at cons here.

We even funded the rest of SuperS to get it to the arc's end.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Sailor Moon was an outright pop culture phenomenon in Canada when the craze hit it big back in 1996. Damn show was airing episodes some 5 times a day split between Global, CBC, YTV and syndication outlets. It was one instance where the Canadian content laws directly bolstered a franchise gaining traction in a market in a huge way.

And because you brought up funding further localization of the show... let's all go buy some unfrosted strawberry poptarts in celebration of Sailor Moon's new ResetEra OT. Save Our Sailors! Let's have a procott!

1479b7f1143ec297e74cff97ecffe504--chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-chocolate-chips.jpg

Man, I still haven't watched the 3rd season of Crystal. I should probably get on that.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I still haven't watched the 3rd season of Crystal. I should probably get on that.
Yes, you should. :)

I love Sailor Moon, the old anime made me a fan for life, I like all incarnations but the old anime with its humor and charme will always be special to me. But I will also say that the live action series is underrated.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started S3 but never got around to finishing it but it was a clear improvement over the first two seasons.

Also has the merchandise train finally slowed down? I used to check sailormooncollectibles because she was always ontop of everything but there's been no major news since September. I really wanted an ESM and Galaxia figure so I hope it picks back up when the Dream movie is out at least.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hmm, not sure. Recently a permanent store opened in Japan so I would assume that merchandise is still going?

So here's a topic to start us off, how is Sailor Moon viewed where you live?

In Canuckistan, it's seen as a trans-generational classic. Figures are in EB Games, Showings of movies fill up theatres, even if its a one-night showing. I've seen shirts of the series on folks in Grocery stores, plus we always have VA's at cons here.

We even funded the rest of SuperS to get it to the arc's end.
First time I've ever heard of the term Canuckistan, lol.

But to answer your question, I live in LA and from my experience pretty much everyone around my age (20's) is aware of the series even if they never saw it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yo. Wasn't a part of the main OT for SM before, just Crystal, so I'll hang out on here :) Hope to hear "S4" movie news soon!

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
So I see the Eternal Editions of the manga are getting released in the US. Does this mean Kodansha's previous release is going to be going out of print? Cause if so I still need to grab the last few volumes + the side stories.

madp

Oct 25, 2017
I started S3 but never got around to finishing it but it was a clear improvement over the first two seasons.

Also has the merchandise train finally slowed down? I used to check sailormooncollectibles because she was always ontop of everything but there's been no major news since September. I really wanted an ESM and Galaxia figure so I hope it picks back up when the Dream movie is out at least.

Tamashii Nations is slowly working their way through SH Figuarts for the Super Sailors right now, so after they're finished with those, they'll either move onto the Starlights or perhaps important antagonists. I don't think that there have been any new Figuarts Zero announcements since the Crystal senshi; there were a couple of dioramas that were Megatrea Shop exclusive like Chibiusa and Helios & one of Usagi sitting on a giant parfait, but it's been at least a year since those came out. I'm waiting for new goods too.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tamashii Nations is slowly working their way through SH Figuarts for the Super Sailors right now, so after they're finished with those, they'll either move onto the Starlights or perhaps important antagonists. I don't think that there have been any new Figuarts Zero announcements since the Crystal senshi; there were a couple of dioramas that were Megatrea Shop exclusive like Chibiusa and Helios & one of Usagi sitting on a giant parfait, but it's been at least a year since those came out. I'm waiting for new goods too.

Stars is my favorite arc so that's definitely where I'm going to really splurge if I can on merchandise. Although you have reminded me about Sweetie Usagi figure that I wanted to get. I need to see if it's still around at a reasonable price. Anyway, Stars Arc and the new artbook where the merchandise that I was looking forward to the most and I feel like any dream of an artbook is pretty much dead now.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone's welcome to post. I think this time around I'm just going to keep it to one thread. Especially since the two threads were mostly just the same people posting.

Yeah this is probably a better idea. Even in DigimonGAF, there used to be a separate topic made for each new movie releasing, until we just started consolidating it into the one topic. Sailor Moon in general doesn't have as much news/no new episodes lately to discuss a lot of at the moment, so it makes sense.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So I see the Eternal Editions of the manga are getting released in the US. Does this mean Kodansha's previous release is going to be going out of print? Cause if so I still need to grab the last few volumes + the side stories.
I don't know but...
According to this, there is going to be a new translation. So I would assume they would phase out the old release?

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Yeah, that makes the most sense. I was curious since something similar happened with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. The new hardcover Jojonium editions are coming out with spruced up translations, but it doesn't look like the older/outdated release has gone out of print just yet. (I could be wrong about that)

I'll make finishing up Sailor Moon a priority just in case. Hunting for OOP manga's a massive pain in the butt.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I realllly like the art for the new editions, but do I want to double-dip? I still never got around to picking up the Short Stories either, since they were thinking about making a mini boxset for itn but I guess not. (Just like the planned localized art books, which I guess also quietly got canned?)

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Original 5 artbooks so unless most of the art was new these localized artbooks wouldn't have appealed to me anyway.

What I really want ist the materials collection. It was supposed to be released in Germany back in the day as a "data book" after the regular artbooks and had a release date. Then Naoko started fighting with Kodansha and the license was pulled.

I quadruple dipped for the Manga. Original German Edition, 2003 Japanese Edition, german version of the 2003 edition and most recently the current japanese edition.
So my advise is to go for it. The newest edition doesn't just have new Cover art, the paper quality is much better, the format is bigger, I've never seen the manga look so good.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a few episodes as a child and is the main reason why I love magical girls.
However, I never set down and watched the show later in life. I want to get it somewhen, but I'm already trying to watch all of Precure.
Currently I'm watching 3 different seasons at the same time.

I have seen crystal and I'm reading the manga, but that's not really the same now is it?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen crystal and I'm reading the manga, but that's not really the same now is it?
Not really, the manga and crystal are more plot driven with the vast majority of the character development going to Usagi, Chibiusa and mamoru.
The old anime is character driven and develops pretty much everyone including the villains.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I need to finish watching Crystal. I gave up after Sailor Jupiter was introduced. Is there going to be a 4th season? Or did they really cover everything in 39 episodes?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal covers everything to the end of the death busters arc so far.
A 4th season has been announced but instead of tv episodes it will be two theatrical movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I need to get caught up on the current run of musicals now that the subs for Le Mouvement Final are out. I've seen the first two but never watched last year's show.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
I watched a few episodes as a child and is the main reason why I love magical girls.
However, I never set down and watched the show later in life. I want to get it somewhen, but I'm already trying to watch all of Precure.
Currently I'm watching 3 different seasons at the same time.

The old anime is a whole different beast from Crystal and the manga. The way, way, WAY higher episode count means the show could spend a lot more time focusing on the girls having fun/deepening their friendships with each other. A lot of the villains also got more time to shine, with several of them becoming very sympathetic characters.

I guess my big complaints about the old anime would be the amount of filler and how the senshi (aside from Usagi) are pretty much useless in combat outside of a small pocket of episodes. I mean really? Jupiter or Mars really can't nuke monsters that look like beach balls and cupcakes? Okay Toei.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I absolutely adore this show. I only got around to watching it back in 2015, I still haven't finished it yet, though. I'm up to SuperS I think, I need to hurry up and get back to watching it.

Sailor Mercury is my favourite.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I watched this as kid growing up. I remember be devastated when I thought Tuxedo Mask had died.

Last year I finally got around to watching the show again. I instantly fell in love all over again. The new VIZ dub is great! I forgot how hilarious Usagi could be. I don't know that I have a favorite but she defiantly makes me laugh out loud the most.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I read the manga, but I don't finish the first season of the original anime because Rei is nothing like her manga counterpart.

And unless the anime bait this, I like how the manga almost imply a Rei x Minako ship.

OP
OP
MikeMyers

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I read the manga, but I don't finish the first season of the original anime because Rei is nothing like her manga counterpart.

And unless the anime bait this, I like how the manga almost imply a Rei x Minako ship.
If you can get over the low productions value of it, you could try the live action series. It's like the 90's anime except the characterization is much closer to the manga, including what you mentioned in the spoiler.

Nice avatar by the way!

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt like I'm a bad Sailor Moon fan. LOL

I started with the manga a few years ago, picking it up on a whim after having seen a handful of episodes of the original anime as a kid. I absolutely fell in love with it and after I got Hulu, I gave the first two seasons of Crystal a shot and really enjoyed it, minus a few stupid changes they made. I was actually really surprised to see how much the fandom hates Crystal. Now here's where it feels like I'm a bad Sailor Moon fan. I really do not enjoy the original anime. I watched the first two seasons on Hulu and the fact that it follows the manga storyline so loosely and as is filled to the brim with filler, I ultimately just powered through the first two seasons just to get it over with. I think I've just lost my tolerance for 200 episode anime filled with filler at this point. I do feel like had I watched it more as a kid, I'd probably have enjoyed it more though.

I'm going to have to make time for Crystal season 3 and see how it is. Apparently it is an improvement over the first two seasons. I'm also going to give Sailor Moon S a shot whenever it comes to Hulu since that is the season everyone really likes and maybe it'll be one to change my opinion on the original anime.

Xan

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like I was a bad fan for the opposite reason: I dislike the manga and see the original anime as the definitive version. It's possible that things have flipped around over the years, but when I was first getting into the fandom 15-ish years ago, the manga was very much the Definitive Version.

I think the amount of "filler" in the anime gets exaggerated. SuperS is the only season where it stands out to me; the season had some big structural problems and it seems to be the only one that had significant portions of filler by design. On the other hand, the first season's Rainbow Crystal arc used to be pointed at as a prime example of filler, but every single episode in that arc does something to advance the overall plot. Likewise, opinion used to be very negative towards the Ail and An arc, which was inserted into the beginning of Sailor Moon R because Takeuchi hadn't written the next part of the manga yet. In retrospect, it's the best part of that season, having strong pacing, humor and sympathetic villains that I feel the main arc of Sailor Moon R lacked.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to make time for Crystal season 3 and see how it is. Apparently it is an improvement over the first two seasons. I'm also going to give Sailor Moon S a shot whenever it comes to Hulu since that is the season everyone really likes and maybe it'll be one to change my opinion on the original anime.

The people who say season 3 was better are the people who wanted Crystal to be more like the original anime. I was pretty disappointed with the changes they made.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never watched the original anime fully (stopped at R), loved the manga, and hated the first two seasons of Crystal. I feel like the fandom would be better overall if fans didn't assume why other fans liked or disliked Crystal. Everyone has different reasons. Anyway, the manga is the version I like best but I do think there are things that anime was vastly superior on, specifically when it came to developing the characters who didn't get developed in the make...which is basically every character outside of Usagi, Chibiusa, Mamoru, and Minako (and that's only because of Codename: Sailor V imo). It's one of the reasons why I never really got the debate over Manga!Rei and Anime!Rei because Rei in the manga was kind of barebones to me besides a few panels that let her shine (Casablanca Memory didn't really do anything for me) and Crystal didn't really do anything to fix that in my eyes.

I still feel that following the manga so closely was a mistake and that they should have put a couple of filler episodes to let the characters breath and develop was a mistake but oh well.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to get the dub of Crystal in the UK? Hulu have taken a Netflix approach to Geoblocking so I let my subscription there lapse.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I remember watching some episodes of the original and R in the 90s. Hated Dragon Ball btw.

Really loved the show, though we were already familiar with the voice actors from other famour shojos during the 80s (Candy Candy, Sandybell, Maple Town, Glass Mask, Minky Momo, Anne of Green Gables, Annette etc). Voice dub actress is a legend here. She even voiced Sakura in Sakura Wars the Movie.

Few years later I watched Sailor Stars, skipping the previous arks. Really a step above from the rest, though some first season episodes had a unique color palette, backgrounds and atmosphere missing from todays kids TV landscape.

Read afterwards the original manga and Sailor V. Preferred the latter by a margin.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Import the DVDs from the US, I think the BDs are region locked (so are the DVDs probably but getting around that is incredibly easy).
I was afraid you were going to say that.

I think MakeMKV can bypass region locking on BDs can't it? I could import them and rip them to watch that way, that tends to be what I do with my DVDs and BDs now.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Viz.com also has them uploaded for free. Dunno if you'll be able to access it in the UK, though.
Well I've got NordVPN that can connect to a US IP address, not sure if Viz.com has much in the way of geoblocking to the extent that Netflix/Hulu have gotten where they've managed to even block VPN services, not just DNS.
It works fine for my Funimation subscription mind.