• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Here's the trailer.

It's also not without controversy. The character of Shun, a male with feminine characteristics and a gentle personality in the original anime/manga, is a female in this new series. This is getting a lot of flack, not just with the usual MRA GG assholes, but also with trans rights activists as well based on gender identity. Essentially, this is like if they decided to make Sailor Uranus a guy.

Pegasus Fantasy me if old.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think the shun thing went away pretty fast as soon as people saw the army people and went "wut?"

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I love Saint Seiya, it was THE anime for me when I was a kid, and this looks so bad
And literally I would be happy with the gender bending of any character except Shun, he was so important to represent a different typo of masculinity
Phoenix being a woman would have been a great twist to the formula

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
As a little kid, I thought for the longest time Shun was a girl until I finally read the manga (well, looked at the pictures). That's a weird change to make, though. How do they get around the whole thing about the masks?

It still bugs me that the Viz release of the manga uses all the names (like Sienna) from the dub AND has Knights of the Zodiac plastered all over the spine and cover.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I love Saint Seiya, it was THE anime for me when I was a kid, and this looks so bad
And literally I would be happy with the gender bending of any character except Shun, he was so important to represent a different typo of masculinity
Phoenix being a woman would have been a great twist to the formula

Yep, I was excited for this but everything is just looking worse than the original.

Hell, at this point, just put the original to stream on Netflix. I rather watch that than this, especially since I only watched the first arc.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think the shun thing went away pretty fast as soon as people saw the army people and went "wut?"

Wait, I just watched the trailer for the first time, what in the world? And Seiya is like a street punk now? Huh?

That would be hilarious if Shun is still a guy but is just cross dressing or something.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't looked into this one much since it's announcement but I'm looking forward to watching it.
Didn't know about Shun being a woman in this though. Feels kinda weird to me. As a young boy watching this series as one of my first anime (when I didn't even know what "anime" was), it was seeing Shun that taught me that effeminate men could be cool so this feels off.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wait, I just watched the trailer for the first time, what in the world? And Seiya is like a street punk now? Huh?

That would be hilarious if Shun is still a guy but is just cross dressing or something.

And don't forget pre-training use of armor powers, which basically kills the best headcanon ever in this continuity (the alternate reality where Ikky got Andromeda and Shun got Phoenix and the series only needed 10 episodes total xD)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I am boycotting this because of Shun.

You don't turn one of the most unique character into a girl because you don't want to confuse the "murican youth".

If they wanted a female character they could have expanded Marine, Shaina, Athena, June's roles etc... as much as they wanted and people would be perfectly fine as they are popular characters.

Erasing Shun entirely (of all people, Shun was the one character not to touch, maybe female Ikki could have been interesting if they REALLY wanted a gender bend) is downright unacceptable and I refuse to support this trash.

Also Rip Aphrodite.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks good? Except for the whole genderbent Shun thing.
Hopefully they don't botch the Hades Saga this time around

You're more hopeful than I am. I don't think they'll even reach the Hades saga, unless they cut a lot of stuff.

Which might be for the best. They can start by doing away with the filler.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I don't have a problem of turning one of them into a girl, but I hate that it's Shun. Because he's the most "girly" of the guys so it's the predictable, easy choice. Meek, sensitive, emotional.

Imagine if they had kept him a guy with the same personality and then made Ikki into a girl instead. Now that would've been amazing.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks good? Except for the whole genderbent Shun thing.

You're more hopeful than I am. I don't think they'll even reach the Hades saga, unless they cut a lot of stuff.

Which might be for the best. They can start by doing away with the filler.
If this goes beyond the Sanctuary I will be shocked

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a Saint Seiya boy back in the day but this look so bad

Netflix should do something like Captain Tsubasa 2018 with SS

Last edited:

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty divided by the Shun thing. I think I prefer his original gender, was more uncommon to have a male like him. However, I can't say I'm mad because of this change, it's not bad.

I really dig the new look of the art and animation, even though it is a bit weird. Mildly excited after this new trailer.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Well, I'll just accept that this series isn't really meant for me, let people who enjoy it enjoy it and stay away from it because I think it would just make me sad lol

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm looking forward to it in general. There are some changes, but as long as it tells a good story, and brings more people into loving Saint Seiya, I'll be happy. I've read the original manga so many times, yet I never grow tired of it. it seems to be quasi-adapting the original story with some changes based on the trailers we've seen.

Hoping it does well enough to reach a proper Sanctuary Arc run.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the CGI looked ok enough, much better then a lot of Japanese CGI shows.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up with the original anime I'm probably not someone who should be asked about my opinions on this, I will just say that I'm not looking particularly forward to it, could end up being somewhat enjoyable though.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
It wasn't great but I'm pretty sure it didn't look like animated plastic dolls.

I personally loved how the manga looked.

seiya3.jpg

It had its own style that was fun. Also, Kurumada had fun with the later armor designs, and usually gave a unique style to the attacks.

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It doesn't look bad. And I don't think bad of the LUL ITS TEH ARMY WTF thing. The manga started with a "mythological warriors in modern times" vibe that unfortunately was soon forgotten. Episode G did an amazing job with its first chapter showing Aioria dealing with a nuclear plant incident caused by a rogue saint, for example

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I'll give it a chance, tough I don't really know why they felt the need of changing Shun (they should have made any of the other bronze saints a woman) or having them fight an army with tanks and helicopters. I hope there's a japanese dub, specially if it has a japanese version of Pegasus Fantasy.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty divided by the Shun thing. I think I prefer his original gender, was more uncommon to have a male like him. However, I can't say I'm mad because of this change, it's not bad.

I really dig the new look of the art and animation, even though it is a bit weird. Mildly excited after this new trailer.
Im not mad but Shun in one of the few fictional characters that is more interesting if he´s a man and straight, because in other animes and cartoons a character with his personality would probably be a cliche woman or gay, just like in this one. Being the sensitive one of the group.
Turning Seiya would have been a great twist, He was nothing going on his character outside generic Shounen protagonist personality, Being a woman would add something to him.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a chance, tough I don't really know why they felt the need of changing Shun (they should have made any of the other bronze saints a woman) or having them fight an army with tanks and helicopters. I hope there's a japanese dub, specially if it has a japanese version of Pegasus Fantasy.
There is a japanese dub, they have essentially the same cast from the Elysion OVAs.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk i will give a try, but my First impression is that i would like to watch the original instead.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Idk i will give a try, but my First impression is that i would like to watch the original instead.

Viz media does have the full 28 volume original manga up on their website if you want to check it out. It ran alongside Kinnikuman, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure at some point or another (all five running during 1987 before Kinnikuman started to wrap up).

*accidentally posted twice, meant to edit my post, damn*

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for them to get back Tohru Furuya as Seiya on the regular, but at this point, I know it's more an exception when he comes back than the rule.
Yeah, sadly it's really rare to have the original japanese cast on these newer productions (the ones who are alive and active anyway). Even when they managed to get Furuya for Omega the rest of the characters all had new voices, which bizarrely enough where different from the voices of the Elysion cast.

Though nowadays is more guaranteed we have the Elysion cast on newer stuff like this. Which honestly is fine, they do a good job.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, this doesn't look good and feels like a generic kiddy show. Making Shun a girl is lazy as his character defied masculinity and in order to not make a girl shun stereotypical, they'd have to change the personality entirely, so why not just add Shaina to the cast?

Saint Seiya is probably my fav anime and it sucks that it's not getting good adaptations