• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks good? Except for the whole genderbent Shun thing.
yeah same. genuinely think this looks nice. and i say this as someone who grew up on saint seiya
the shun issue is a real miss no doubt, i'll watch the show but i'll probably remain a little bitter over the decision to change him to a woman

Jun 2, 2019
Ikki having a awesome voice sounds like the norm. I don't know his Ikki voice, but it's shame to hear he passed away :(

He was pretty awesome

Castillian dub had a special quality to it: It had a theatrical tone, no other Anime here in Spain was dubbed like that. Hector Colome joined after the flame knight battle and became the best Ikki. His voice could go from soft to gruff easily, and was so iconic he was given characters with similar qualities in the series (Mu and Scylla for example)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think it's sad that Saint Seiya is HUGE in Europe/Latin America but not so much in Japan, because the rightholders don't really care about what made the original manga/anime cool and we get awful "remakes" like this, but awesome stuff like Lost Canvas didn't sell well so it got canned.

Saint Seiya is a 80's bloody, overly dramatic, nerdy piece of fiction, in the same vein of Fist of the North Star and JoJo. David Production's take on Saint Seiya would be the best thing ever, but sadly Toei has an eternal grip on the IP :(

Wait, it's not big in Japan?

I know it's not big in the US, partly because they brought it over decades too late. I don't think ADV even finished releasing Sanctuary, they stopped partway through the first time along with the dub.

This trailer reminds me of like the opening animation of a musou game.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Wait, it's not big in Japan?

I know it's not big in the US, partly because they brought it over decades too late. I don't think ADV even finished releasing Sanctuary, they stopped partway through the first time along with the dub.

This trailer reminds me of like the opening animation of a musou game.

I mean, Saint Seiya's not small. Keep in mind it ran successfully alongside Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball and was successful for several years.

But it did end prematurely in animated form, and was probably forced to wrap the manga up sometime later.

It's not the mega hit it is in some Latin American countries or France, even though it does decently enough in Japan.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
I am awaiting people losing their shit if they make Shaka actually look like person from India

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Bagiński won't be allowed into Poland after this.
He's nowhere in the credits actually. Seems like there are two different projects, because I was sure I remembered that he was supposed to be directing a live-action movie and remembered something about a series too (although I thought it came out way earlier). Seems to still be the case and apparently it's way earlier in development, unless IMDB and the likes are wrong.

This is by the director of uhhh... Cross Ange and the second season of D.Gray-man.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, I think Asgard is the best filler arc in shonen anime. Could be nostalgia, but the characters and premise were very cool.

The Asgard arc actually holds up in ratings fairly close to the Sanctuary until halfway through, but then there's step decline right alongside a bunch of breaks. The Poseidon arc actually has even worse ratings though. Apparently, according to the Japanese wikipedia, the official reason for the end of the original run of the was just that it was too close to the manga and the staff wanted to move on.

Really, it's pure speculation, but I always thought that catching up with the manga might have played a part, but from Bandai's side too. Either way, they'd need more original material due to catching up with the source, so I guess Bandai's executives thought they could just continue the toyline with their own original products, rather than licensing more Saint Seiya. Shurato, an anime original series featuring similar armored warriors based on mythology, started airing the week after the Saint Seiya anime ended its original tv run and had Bandai as its main sponsor.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Man, I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'll have to wait to finally watch it.

I am awaiting people losing their shit if they make Shaka actually look like person from India

The Saints had quite a diverse origin of birthplaces according to the bios in the manga, it was always a nice touch.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who can forge the two awful dubs that the US got with Knights of the Zodiac by DIC and the uncensored Saint Seiya by ADV, both were awful but at least KOTZ was funny. I'm unsure if I should watch the latin american dub or the American dub, it seems to be made specifically for an american audience hence the "original" version. The Latin American dub even if not as good as the original could still be good because of the history of the series there.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they don't botch the Hades Saga this time around
Lol I don't think they'll even make it to the Twelve Houses Saga in this first batch of episodes so you might be jumping the gun a bit here.

Fav Gold Saints? Mine are Shura, Shaka, Aphrodite and Saga/Kanon
Camus and it ain't even close. Aioria and Milo are pretty cool too, I guess. If we're talking Lost Canvas then Albafica is one badass motherfucker.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Who can forge the two awful dubs that the US got with Knights of the Zodiac by DIC and the uncensored Saint Seiya by ADV, both were awful but at least KOTZ was funny. I'm unsure if I should watch the latin american dub or the American dub, it seems to be made specifically for an american audience hence the "original" version. The Latin American dub even if not as good as the original could still be good because of the history of the series there.
The ADV Dub was great

Jun 2, 2019

Saying Saint Seiya was mistreated in USA would be an understatement. It didn't even got the correct line of figures, wich helped a lot to the series popularity in other countries (And was cool as fuck if you ask me)

EDIT: Just took a look at the episodes list. The season ends with the battle agaisn Ikki. I'll give it a go later.

No japanese audio is a bummer but hey! At least it has 5.1 audio.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Pegasus Fantasy got to be the only anime opening I've seen reused at least twice for reboots or sequels. Too iconic, maybe even enough to bait me.

Jun 2, 2019
Ok i'll be honest, reading the sipnosis for each episode is giving me bad vibes. The Galactic Tournament amounts to two episodes, wich is a far cry from the relevance it had in the original series.

I'll give it a watch later. Maybe it isn't so bad.

Jun 2, 2019
Pegasus Fantasy got to be the only anime opening I've seen reused at least twice for reboots or sequels. Too iconic, maybe even enough to bait me.

Well the Saint Seiya fanbase is pretty anal about it. When Hades Sanctuary came out, they launched a stink becase neither PEgasus Fantasy nor any other original opening was present. When the series launched in DVD, it included Pegasus Fantasy right after Chikyuugi.

I mean, they could have used the originally intended opening, Dead of Dead, but Chikyuugi was reaaaaally good, and fit for the tone of the season

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Netflix is set to japanese (currently I'm in Brazil) and I can confirm that by doing that the japanese audio is available.

Though the Struts version of Pegasus Fantasy seems to be used worldwide?

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Well the Saint Seiya fanbase is pretty anal about it. When Hades Sanctuary came out, they launched a stink becase neither PEgasus Fantasy nor any other original opening was present. When the series launched in DVD, it included Pegasus Fantasy right after Chikyuugi.

I mean, they could have used the originally intended opening, Dead of Dead, but Chikyuugi was reaaaaally good, and fit for the tone of the season

Chikyuugi was gorgeous

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Thoughts on the movies? I enjoy them but they aren't that good as they are pretty much all the same. Villains are bland but the henchmen are neat. Don't like how Shun sucks though

Jun 2, 2019
Thoughts on the movies? I enjoy them but they aren't that good as they are pretty much all the same. Villains are bland but the henchmen are neat. Don't like how Shun sucks though

I'm honestly not a fan of the movies. They are all cut by the same mold and follow the same guidelines. They end up being pretty boring. Also yes, they always fuck up Shun, and I hate it (Shun/Ikki fan reporting for duty owo/)

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it is too bad so far, just going a bit fast. Really missing those long pauses for contemplation mid-battle.

In hindsight I'm enjoying how it keeps the soul of this franchise, which in a nutshell comes down to " everything is unbeatable, until it isn't 5 minutes later". Like Shiryu who can't stop talking about how durable his armors is, but he is in a path to get his shit torn to pieces at every turn for the rest of his life.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I don't think it is too bad so far, just going a bit fast. Really missing those long pauses for contemplation mid-battle.

In hindsight I'm enjoying how it keeps the soul of this franchise, which in a nutshell comes down to " everything is unbeatable, until it isn't 5 minutes later". Like Shiryu who can't stop talking about how durable his armors is, but he is in a path to get his shit torn to pieces at every turn for the rest of his life.
Really? Looks like a generic kiddy show.
How is the voice acting?

Jun 2, 2019
States but I heard someone on reddit say that

I see. Yeah somehow Saint Seiya is always a subject for this in some countries.

By the way watching the first chapter right now. Not good, not bad, ineresting in some ways bt it definitely shits a bit on the original lore

Juanjo Lespe as Seiya without that theatrical tone of the og dub sounds weird as hell

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
?

tumblr_pn5caoFkNT1usyygio1_400.gif

SlimyVastDingo-small.gif

tumblr_n1kckfmmaD1s6cql7o1_500.gif

HotIdolizedChimneyswift-size_restricted.gif

I think it looks pretty great ...
Absolutely, I think it was one of the better animated anime from the 80s.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I see. Yeah somehow Saint Seiya is always a subject for this in some countries.

By the way watching the first chapter right now. Not good, not bad, ineresting in some ways bt it definitely shits a bit on the original lore

Juanjo Lespe as Seiya without that theatrical tone of the og dub sounds weird as hell
D
Is it a generic kiddie show?

Jun 2, 2019
out of ten, how it is?

So far, 6. Not a fan of the Ladybug-ish art style and the first chapter takes some strange turns, but i'm... liking it? Maybe it's the nostalgia kicking because of Lespe, but it kinda feels like Saint Seiya.

Military presence is fucking weird.

EDIT: Ok Tatsumi with his wooden sword it's in. I got suddendly hyped. Holy shit just how much of a simpleton can i get to be?

EDIT2: Chapter finished. Some facepalm moments. Definitely a 6 so far, kinda loses the mythos feeling at some points, but i feel that it still can be good.

Last edited: