• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Did they use the same dude for Seiya's Latin American dub?

He's fucking terrible and a disrespect as the original VAs put so much passion on their roles.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch this later, but that change in motivation for the Gold Saints/Knights doesn't sound great. It was a stretch in the original that they so strongly believed that the Pope was speaking for the real Athena, but the entire point of the saints is to follow Athena's will.

Given two episodes are spent on the military story, I guess we don't get anything like Shiryu's early encounter with Deathmask. Do we even get Seiya vs. Aiolia and Seiya donning the Sagittarius cloth?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'll watch this later, but that change in motivation for the Gold Saints/Knights doesn't sound great. It was a stretch in the original that they so strongly believed that the Pope was speaking for the real Athena, but the entire point of the saints is to follow Athena's will.

Given two episodes are spent on the military story, I guess we don't get anything like Shiryu's early encounter with Deathmask. Do we even get Seiya vs. Aiolia and Seiya donning the Sagittarius cloth?

Pegasus Seiya vs Leo Aiolia and Seiya donning the Sagittarius Gold Cloth are both in the series, but yeah, no Dragon Shiryu vs Cancer Deathmask, that said, we do get Leo Aiolia vs Virgo Shaka, and something a bit new as well, we see Sagittarius Aiolos fleeing from Capricorn Shura...and another Gold Saint. Gemini.

Also, we learn about how they learn the prophecy...The Pope sees what's to come within the waters of Crateris Silver Cloth, a Next Dimension nod. Not too surprising, given the visual depiction of Sanctuary matches the map of Sanctuary in Next Dimension.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Pegasus Seiya vs Leo Aiolia and Seiya donning the Sagittarius Gold Cloth are both in the series, but yeah, no Dragon Shiryu vs Cancer Deathmask, that said, we do get Leo Aiolia vs Virgo Shaka, and something a bit new as well, we see Sagittarius Aiolos fleeing from Capricorn Shura...and another Gold Saint. Gemini.

Also, we learn about how they learn the prophecy...The Pope sees what's to come within the waters of Crateris Silver Cloth, a Next Dimension nod. Not too surprising, given the visual depiction of Sanctuary matches the map of Sanctuary in Next Dimension.
What episode is Shura in?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
What's with this dumbass prophecy?

Given that we learn the Pope is the one who "saw" this prophecy in the waters within the Crateris Silver Cloth...I'm going to call bullshit, it's just this universe's way for Gemini Saga to try and gain power.

At least, that's how I view it.

Jun 2, 2019
Okay maybe a bit late to the party, but i since i have nothing else to do due to the quarantine, i finally watched the second season and it left me wondering how they manage to fuck it up so much right after they show how it can be actually well done. The wrongs almost outweights the rights this season.

• First of all, they kept the detail of Mu using the black knights to deceive the silver knights, and the battle agaisnt Lizard Misty was spot on
  • The battles agaisnt Moses and Asterion feel good too, lack of Blood aside it barely lack details, including Marin's punishment
  • Is it me or is the animation a bit better? More face to face squirmishes too
  • Detail is better too. The visual wear on the armors as the battles go on is a masterful touch that the anime lacked (Save for a few extreme times here and there) and the manga barely used.
  • Loving this Saori. She has balls and a more defiant attitude than the original. She gets two fine heroic moments too.
  • The gold armors are beautiful
  • Each new character is faithful to their original personality. Particularly liked Asterion and Algol
  • The military subplot is over. Thank fucking god.

• The series is definitely written to have Marin being Seika as the final surprise. Aioria's comment on the subject pretty much gives it away.

• They did Shun dirty, and with that i mean, VERY dirty, they robbed her of a pretty good battle in the original, made her fail TWICE doing the same thing agaisnt the Black Knights (And rendered her useless having her being protected at some point) and exaggerated her personality even further, making her more stereotipically femenine.
  • Hyoga too, his best moments are reduced to being marginally less useless than Shun and blocking a group of Black Knights once. He also misses a battle agaisnt a silver knight
  • Wich leads us to two silver knigths being missing: Chariot Capella and Centaur Babel. Centaur Babel was Hyoga's enemy and Capella was to be defeated by Ikki instead of Cerberus Dante, who would have fought Shun. This means that Hyoga and Shun didn't fight the battles where their cosmo raised above bronze level.
  • Also excuse me but what the fuck was that fight agaisnt Perseus Algol?
  • The prophecy was nonsensical "These two other gods are coming to destroy the earth, so Athena has to die" Excuse me what the fuck was that?
  • The silver knights battles were cut short because they though having three chapters dedicated to the godawful black knights was something we actually wanted.

And, well, these are my impressions. Since when the series gets it right, it gets it fucking right, i'm having high hopes for the third season

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching these episodes. At first I thought, though rushed, they were doing a pretty good job adapting the fights against Misty, and the whale and hound guys. The mind reading hound guy being fooled by Marin's illusions to the point of carrying around the fakes and burying them was odd, but whatever. Given the rushed pacing, going through the effort of introducing Tiki was also odd. Still, the fights were more or less adapted beat for beat.

Then with episodes 3 and 4, it ran into issues where they just kept adapting Seiya's fights but cut out Hyoga and Shun's fights, made Ikki's fight lame, and condensed Shiryu's fight into basically nothing. Saori's scenes with her bonding with Seiya were fine in a vacuum, but we've seen so little of her it's difficult to connect to Seiya insisting she's a good person and such. From the original anime, I really liked the moment where she turned the crow guy's crows against him, so I was disappointed that wasn't adapted. Also, the absence of flowers from the scene where she recovers from the fall goes to show how aren't bothering to recreate the use of beautiful backgrounds from the original.

Out of those two, episode 4 especially shows how insane the pacing can be. So we have the entirety of Shiryu vs. the Medusa shield guy, along with him taking out all the other knights, then Aiolius's proper introduction along with Scorpio and the first appearance of the Pope / Grand Master in evil mode in this series to my knowledge. Then Seiya wanders back to his orphanage because that city is right next to their secret base (???). Then Shaina suddenly decides she's on Seiya's side, without even a flashback to explain, because prophecy. Then Aiolius appears and wounds Shaina, then he and Seiya fight, then the Sagittarius Armor protects him, then Saori appears and convinces Aiolius to support her, then Aiolius goes back to Sanctuary, and then Shaka starts fighting him. And that's all one episode.

And then we spend two episodes on the fucking military story. For this of all things they decide to slow down the pacing, and a big chunk of episode 5 is exposition for things we already knew. Funniest part is that Seiya and Saori go right back to the place where Aiolius attacked them, and they're attacked again, but this time a single Black Knight attack is enough to knock both of them out, letting Saori get captured. The Black Knights are really lame enemies, doing nothing but punch attacks, and the heroes do nothing to them but weak looking punches and kicks.

This is weird thematically too. The general guy wants humans to take destiny in their own hands and kill the gods, but is unwilling to see that Saori herself is human and is willing and able to go against the prophecy too. Sure, fine. General gets in a super suit ranting about how he'll kill the gods with his power, then while the knights can't beat him, Saori stands up to him, telling him to just try and kill her. Lame that the knights can beat silver knights but not this guy, but sure, I can see where this is going. General proceeds to kick Saori's ass and then Seiya powers up and wrecks him. Ugh. Though even if they went through with Saori being the one to beat him, it being immediately followed by an arrow through her chest to set up the Sanctuary arc would have undermined that.

Besides being a weak story in general, a problem with the military story is that it has basically no ties with the silver knight and gold knight stories. These two episodes could have been last season and there would have been no way to tell it was out of place, minus the arrow. Seiya certainly doesn't feel like he has any of the power he demonstrated during his silver knight fights. Well, there is the fact that Shiryu is blind, but they barely acknowledge that these episodes.

In general, the biggest victim of the changes this season is Shaun. Her fight gets cut and she's also absolutely useless against the Black Knights. She goes for their old weak points twice, gets blocked, and then is knocked to the ground. I'm baffled how much they botched this. Plus, after Shaun, none of the other knights were adapted as women. Making Misty a woman would have gotten side eye, but one out of the whale, hound, and crow guys could have been a woman. I imagine all of the gold knights will remain the same too; if they wanted to show otherwise, Scorpio was right there. And yes, I'm sure some fans would have gotten upset, but they already changed Shun knowing people would be upset, so if their goal was to include more female characters, surely they could have fully committed.

As a positive, the gold knights look great, with their detailed armors and they give off a real sense of power with their effects work.

I'm left confused what this adaptation is actually trying to do. Its original stuff is thematically confused, it rushes through the events of the source material, it seems like it will modernize the characters and story but half asses it, it gives the characters little to do and tells us the characters are friends and devoted to Athena without showing us this and why.