• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The best Saints Row game is

• Off course 2 is the GOAT

Votes: 153 66.5%
  • Nah man 3 is where it all came together

Votes: 55 23.9%
  • What?! 4 is the ultimate SR

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • First was best, downhill from there

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • I have no taste and vote Gat out of Hell

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

First released 10 years ago today. I remember being super hyped for the second game. I loved the first game, which kinda came out of nowhere back then and it was the best GTA clone before GTA actually came out. I remember getting the Collectors Edition that looked like a plastic gun, which came with a USB drive shaped like a bullet which I actually used a lot. The game was better than the first one in almost every way for me and I've put many hours into the co-op and multiplayer. Share your Saints Row 2 memories ERA!

Oct 28, 2017
Insurance Fraud was the fucking best. I love goofy ragdoll modes.

Johnny Gat was amazing too. Unfortunately he became "lol so funny xD" in the later games.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never played. Well, not never, I did play a few hours, but never got far.

What state is the PC version in these days if I were to jump into it?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I only have brief bad memories since I have the PC version. Even though I got it years after release with lots of patches, it was still a glitchy mess from the get go, with my character clipping through the boat that takes you from the tutorial prison.

Oct 27, 2017
Finding out I could use my katana while driving a motorcycle, and my character all of a sudden singing while I was flying a helicopter. I was lukewarm on the original Saints Row, but this game just blew my mind. They threw everything they had into it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I remember liking it more than GTA IV at the time. But unlike GTA IV, it didn't age well.

The pimp cane was my favorite part of the game lol
ShallowSlipperyBluefintuna-max-1mb.gif

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is the first game I finished on the 360 (well, finished the story anyway). I remember spending ages trying to find the sea monster (I did eventually).
Such a fun game, not sure what it's like to go back to though.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Working 72 hour weeks for months on end, ruining all of my interpersonal relationships in the process.

...still proud of it tho.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Saints Row 1, 3 and 4 are so much better than this. I waited years to play Saints Row 2 and it was still a buggy mess.

Maybe I really erred by playing The Third first, since it's in such a different league.

My favourite memory was when I saw the credits, ejected the disc and traded it in.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If there was a mod to give that game a more modern control scheme, at least in the vein of Saints Row 3, it'd be the best open world sandbox game.

Still think the plot is better than GTA4's by far, though. Especially when it came to invoking emotions. None of the shit that Niko went through made me sad. But those Brotherhood mission, man.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Biggest, most coherent and most fully featured Saints Row game, with the best Shaundi hands down. It's the only reason there's *anything* wrong with The Third, because in comparison, that game has some really weird structure and volume of content issues.

Overall, though, it doesn't hold a candle to The Third in terms of sheer personality and charisma. There's so much generic gangsta garbage in this game that I think my soul would prolly be torn apart if I fired it back up.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If there was a mod to give that game a more modern control scheme, at least in the vein of Saints Row 3, it'd be the best open world sandbox game.

Still think the plot is better than GTA4's by far, though. Especially when it came to invoking emotions. None of the shit that Niko went through made me sad. But those Brotherhood mission, man.

Doesnt Gentlemen of the Row actually touches control options? been a while since ive played it

Saints Row 1, 3 and 4 are so much better than this. I waited years to play Saints Row 2 and it was still a buggy mess.

Maybe I really erred by playing The Third first, since it's in such a different league.

My favourite memory was when I saw the credits, ejected the disc and traded it in.

There's being wrong and there's being TheBeardedOne

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Bounce like my checks did, back in the day!"

Or the other hits...

"Leave the hoooooo!"

"Don't fuck me like I'm your wife!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first one. It was before GTA IV was a thing and it was kind of fun. I never played the sequels.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Baby is all grown up!

One of the best open-world games of all time, I spent hours getting lost in the world and messing around with the activities. It felt like a next-generation version of San Andreas - with less brand power but a sense of fun which felt lost in the genre. Sadly, the following titles failed to match its charm and went for a more forced comedic attitude. Volition needs to remaster this on current generation consoles.

I'd love for a franchise reboot, that took Saints Row 2's best elements and mixed them together.

Edit: I even interviewed one of the original female voice-actors on my website, several years ago - it was a cool experience.

Last edited:

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Saints Row always seemed to have this reputation as a discount GTA at that time. It was mostly true for the first one but Saints Row 2 is genuinely fantastic, best in the series and one of my favourite crime sandbox games. It struck the perfect balance between serious and wacky.

Quite fancy playing through the first two games again actually, are the two DLCs for SR2 worth it?

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game and have played through it probably 2-3 times. To me, it's much more enjoyable than 3 and especially 4.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I still keep several items of the ultimate edition. First game I preordered, no regret.
Random things I liked:
The gangs were fun and flavourful.
You can surf cars!!
Still one of the best customisation system: Layered clothing, 6 VA in total (for a single player back then it's a lot), cool tattoos.
I loved the radio.
There's a whole new shopping centre in the game that's unmarked with 3 more clothing shops you can't find anywhere else.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Playing the PC port, my memories is of the game running in an odd aspect ratio at 2x the speed. I was laughing my ass off, and then booted the Third. Good times!

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Man, I gave this game such the side eye before release. I thought it looked like a shitty GTA rip off. But a week or two after it released I heard good things from people I trusted. So I bought it.

Best idea ever. I fucking loved it. I mean there's a million brilliant things in this game. Getting high with Shaundi. Johnny Gat helping a guys face greet a tombstone. Naked co op car surfing. Pirates vs Ninjas. Keith David. And of course the bad ass Boss herself. Yeah that's right the Boss is a girl - like there's only a fem Shep.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Best SR game in the series. I don't care what other people say. SR3 & 4 was mediocre compared to SR2.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
The entire escalation of violence in the Brotherhood missions is insane.

Also the funeral scene.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The last great Saints Row game.

I mean, the third game had its moments, but it just didn't measure up.
Then part 4 hit and it was just BLEAH.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I was piloting a helicopter in a coop mission. It was somewhat difficult, and I was failing halfway through. My buddy insists he pilot the chopper because I keep failing. I'm like "Okay, but don't crash into the..." and before I finished my sentence he crashed into some low hanging powerlines and likely would have hit a water tower if he had somehow missed those. It took me like 20 minutes to stop laughing. Apparently he thought they weren't real objects in game. He took a super low angle of ascent, which I knew was going to cause problems because you don't start that high relative to other buildings for that particular mission.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to miraculously make a character that looked exactly like me irl. It was hilarious seeing myself in the game doing all the crazy shit. Good times.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

We count hundreds on the table, twenties on the floor
Fresh outta work and on the way with some more
And I love it, yeah, and I love it
I got gangstas in the crowd, mad bitches at my show
It's parked outside and it's sittin' on fo's
And I love it, yeah, and I love it