• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
This got lost in the main thread. I caught that some sites were claiming that the Switch version would be releasing in March 2019 and yet the sources we saw didn't say so.

Turns out that came from the on-stage announcement of the game at Gamescom. I found the whole thing and transcribed the quote below (at the 54:40 mark which I time-stamped):

Our last announcement underlines the future of gaming is set here in Germany as well. It is therefore with great joy that we today reveal that our studio Deep Silver Fishlabs in Hamburg is working on the Action RPG "Saints Row: The Third" for Nintendo Switch. Let's celebrate together the return of the notorious Saints to the streets of Steelport in March next year.

My only question now is if Deep Silver is publishing it in NA and EU, or will THQ Nordic handle it as they now own Deep Silver, as well as this being basically a fit for their traditional line-up of low-cost remasters.

Also, the Saints Row twitter account confirmed that the DLC is included:

Thoughts?

Oct 25, 2017
I am hella looking forward to this, but if this comes with all DLC...

...can we toggle off that Vampire throw DLC?

I remember having to mod my PC version of the game to disable it after getting the DLC in a bundle.

randomhugs

Oct 25, 2017
There are only three games I play regularly that aren't on a Nintendo platform. Two of them have been announced for Switch in the past week. I'm definitely looking forward to this. Seeing as this game didn't get the remaster treatment yet. Then, this could be the definitive console version.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This feels like a capcom level test more than anything.

That, or they started on it to test their engine on the hardware by 2 employees on their free time, higher ups looked at it and went, wait how much would it cost to actually finish it and ship it?

Crazy to me this is happening as someone who loved it back in the day.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Our last announcement underlines the future of gaming is set here in Germany as well. It is therefore with great joy that we today reveal that our studio Deep Silver Fishlabs in Hamburg is working on the Action RPG "Saints Row: The Third" for Nintendo Switch. Let's celebrate together the return of the notorious Saints to the streets of Steelport in March next year.

I guess they saw Octopath's sales and want to get a slice of the cake.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get this. Saints Row: The Third is a great game. I loved playing it. It and Sleeping Dogs (port that please with a sequel) were both games I enjoyed over GTA V. Why this game? Is it even being changed or remastered in anyway? Are the PC assets being used? What exactly is this version?

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
My favorite of the Saints Rows so this is cool. Doubt I'd double dip but if someone asked me if I recommend it because they haven't played, I'd give a thumbs up.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get this. Saints Row: The Third is a great game. I loved playing it. It and Sleeping Dogs (port that please with a sequel) were both games I enjoyed over GTA V. Why this game? Is it even being changed or remastered in anyway? Are the PC assets being used? What exactly is this version?

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I really enjoyed the Third, more than SR4 even. Just over the top enough without going completely off the deep end.

I remember I made a really cute tall chick with a Russian accent then was disappointed with 4 when there wasn't a Russian accent voice option for me to recreate her.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Likely they can port 2 or IV? It's weird putting the most divisive one on the Switch but I guess they can't put a 10 year old game on the Switch or IV would be too big if you are putting the Presidential Edition.

EDIT: Okay, as pointed out above, 2 is too old and would likely rework the entire game.

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
I loved Saints Row 3 and 4 when they came out, but sadly I kinda think they also haven't aged the best. Really is so weird that they're putting this out on Switch now. It never ran super great on PS3 and 360, so I don't know if I expect it to run that great on Switch either.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Likely they can port 2 or IV? It's weird putting the most divisive one on the Switch but I guess they can't put a 10 year old game on the Switch or IV would be too big if you are putting the Presidential Edition.

EDIT: Okay, as pointed out above, 2 is too old and would likely rework the entire game.
Uh isnt 3 where it really took off?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who even asked for this haha. It feels like such a random decision. Like I would understand porting, say, Dead Rising or Condemned if you wanna go that far back, but Saints Row 3?

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
The Boss is back baby!

I would kill Uma (don't like him anyways) for a remake of this series. SR2 is definitely my favorite by far, but the general gameplay of SR3 did feel better.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I get picking The Third as it is newer then the first two. I think it's also better then the 4th one as well. I think a lot of people would land on this being the best in the series. As said over the top without going of the deep end. That's why the 4th game lost me and I couldn't finish it.

It's just a question of why this game at all? Period. If it's going to be this game is it just a straight up port of the 360 version? PC version?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'd really love a remaster/port of Saints Row 2, but the PC version is complete garbage. They'd have to fix that first, and I doubt that'll ever happen.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, at least they're not porting the first one. At least whatever they plan on doing with the series will hit switch in the future.

Yea, I loved Saints 2. IMO it was better than GTA IV, but I know I'm in the minority thinking that lol.

My hope is they launch Saints Row 3 and 4 at a budget price, and eventually THQ Nordic ports over games like Red Faction Guerrilla as well.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
March is stacked. Don't know if that's a good release date.
I get picking The Third as it is newer then the first two. I think it's also better then the 4th one as well. I think a lot of people would land on this being the best in the series. As said over the top without going of the deep end. That's why the 4th game lost me and I couldn't finish it.
It's easy to say 4 went way over the top when at the time hardcore fans of 2 said the same thing about 3.

Francois Dillinger

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2018
Yea, I loved Saints 2. IMO it was better than GTA IV, but I know I'm in the minority thinking that lol.

Idk! As of late, I've seen a lot of people say they prefer SR2 because GTA IV went all grimdark. SR1/2 hold a very special place in my heart so it's hard to compare.

My hope is they launch Saints Row 3 and 4 at a budget price, and eventually THQ Nordic ports over games like Red Faction Guerrilla as well.

That would be dope and all perfect fits. I could see THQ finding a lot of success on the switch.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted to play this game when it came out but I was kinda busy around that period never got a chance
so this is nice

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017

3 is divisive?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game lol. Plus it's only open world competition on switch is LEGO Undercover.

And even Lego City Undercover is inferior on Switch. The port added visual glitches in cutscenes and arguably the graphics itself got worse with the changes they made IMO.

Like the only thing better over the Wii U original is that it's in 1080p now and has shoe-horned co-op when the game was designed without it.

Only Switch game I didn't want anymore since I was that disappointed with it after adoring it on Wii U and it was one of my most wanted remasters to happen.