• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
video by o k

summary:
- there's going to be a patch coming next week. the game is available now for purchase tho and this is the performance of the launch version
- bug where it gets stuck on the loading screen
- native 720p in handheld mode, 1080p in docked mode, but a lot of jaggies
- unlocked frame rate, but it can't even maintain 30 fps
- fps can drop to as low as 13 in some instances. it can occasionally run at higher than 30fps but it's all very inconsistent.

Last edited:

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I mean, there's always a patch for performances coming, is it that hard to wait a bit before spreading analysis? this happen for nearly every switch game.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it right now and I haven't experienced such huge dips in the framerate. There are dips in busy situations, when lots of action going on on screen but nothing serious. Dragon's Dogma had worse dips in lesser situations imo.

This plays just fine.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
This must be a terrible port because this played really smoothly at 30fps/720p native on PS3. (SR4 on the other hand wasn't as polished and was sub-720p iirc on the ps3).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This must be a terrible port because this played really smoothly at 30fps/720p native on PS3. (SR4 on the other hand wasn't as polished and was sub-720p iirc on the ps3).
No no no no, it most certainly did not. It's awful on PS3 with performance way below 30fps (into the teens regularly). It was so bad that I tossed the game aside and waited until the PC version went on sale for cheap.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Saints Row IV had a terrible remaster on PS4/Xbox One, so SR doesn't have a great track record with this.

I'm playing it right now and I haven't experienced such huge dips in the framerate. There are dips in busy situations, when lots of action going on on screen but nothing serious. Dragon's Dogma had worse dips in lesser situations imo.

This plays just fine.
There's always that guy!

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like how I played it on a 2009 iMac. It was playable but it had drops in many places. I hope they do improve it. Also reminds me I really should go back to it since I could run it much better now.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I mean, there's always a patch for performances coming, is it that hard to wait a bit before spreading analysis? this happen for nearly every switch game.
It happens for all games not just switch games. Maybe devs will start shipping games in a better state if they get enough negative press.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm looking at it now as 1) it's available right now and 2) if we wait, then there will not be time to look at the game at all. I don't believe for a second that the patch will solve all problems either - it's shipped in a really bad condition. What makes you think all those issues can be addressed with a last minute patch?

The game is notorious for bad console performance. The PS360 versions are horrible in that regard and even when Saints 4 was ported to current gen, it also ran very very poorly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm looking at it now as 1) it's available right now and 2) if we wait, then there will not be time to look at the game at all. I don't believe for a second that the patch will solve all problems either - it's shipped in a really bad condition. What makes you think all those issues can be addressed with a last minute patch?
are you guys doing a video on it? would be cool to see how the frame rate is in handheld mode.
and yeah it's not like a patch is gonna do magic and make it run at a consistent 30fps, i don't expect much from the update.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

The game is notorious for bad console performance. The PS360 versions are horrible in that regard and even when Saints 4 was ported to current gen, it also ran very very poorly.
Is it an engine thing? or just optimization?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i thought the dragon's dogma port was supposed to be good? i need to watch the video from yesterday.

576p undocked with framedrops to low 20s. 900p in docked with less framedrops. Textures and lighting slightly upgraded over last gen but still tons of pop in.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made the decision to post the video because the game is available to buy, right now. It's not an embargo type situation where this is an early copy - if someone picks it up today, they're getting this.

I made sure to specify in the video that a patch was coming, all footage states "No D1 Patch" so if anyone tries to screengrab and use it maliciously to misrepresent the game it would be more difficult, and I will release an update when the patch is available. Also, I don't expect the changes to be all that significant - I think there's only so much they can do. I suspect there will be an improvement to worst case scenarios but it's not going to suddenly be smooth as butter next week.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The game is out now and people are paying money for it so analysis now is totally fair. You would hardly ask for a moratorium on any kind of performance analysis on any game just because developers were promising a patch?

This is the original Digital Foundry face-off for Saints Row 3:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-saints-row-the-third

The short summary is that although framerates could sometimes temporarily hover near 30FPS for both consoles, it definitely couldn't be described as "smooth". It varied constantly, with extended gameplay sequences running at framerates in the 20s and occasionally the mid-teens, and sections with multiple explosions had a particularly heavy impact on performance. The Xbox 360 version looked better at a cost of generally inferior performance - Xbox 360 had a V-sync option which basically allowed a choice between constant screen tearing or an even worse framerate.

From what we've seen from the Switch version, it's potentially worse than the PS3 version, but that doesn't mean that the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions ran well.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This plays just fine.
I can't confirm 100% as I have no way of capturing and analysing handheld footage, but to my eyes I found the experience to be slightly better in handheld but still nowhere near "not serious", imo.

I'm glad you are able to see past the issues, though!
I mean... the fact that it's native res in handheld is really nice at least.
Yeah, it being native res is nice, but the artefacts from the lower resolution depth buffer effects kind of ruins it a lot of the time, unfortunately.

Still, credit where it's due!

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019

They are selling the game right now even after they delayed the "day one" patch. Why shouldn't people know how it runs right now? If you are a consumer you should be ashamed.

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
Framerate is absolutely an issue. Currently doing the Alien Chase scene and I keep dying because it can't keep up with the explosions while driving around. Next to impossible to line up shots. It does look real good when in handheld. I would like to see the GTA 3/Vice/San Andreas trilogy ported.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, what's even the point of buying games on launch anymore, especially on Switch? You're almost guaranteed some kind of fuckery for the first week or two until pubs/devs pull their fingers out and realise consumers are over it. Look at MK11, for one.

On the bright side, I'm saving so much money.

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
Seriously, what's even the point of buying games on launch anymore, especially on Switch? You're almost guaranteed some kind of fuckery for the first week or two until pubs/devs pull their fingers out and realise consumers are over it. Look at MK11, for one.

On the bright side, I'm saving so much money.

I have to agree with Shaneus. There are just too many issues on day one ports. I also picked up Shakedown Hawaii and man if there isn't currency issues that will be patched next week. If you can wait a week, and after that time you still want it with the patch then buy it. Otherwise there will be something else somewhere else (or on the Switch) that will take your free time.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I played a ton of this on 360 and I remember it chugging at times when the action got hectic....unless I'm misremembering...

So its basically the authentic experience! :p

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

you are looking at this from an absurdly wrong perspective.

Maybe the publisher should wait a bit before selling a game in that state.

They are selling an eight year old game for $40 that hits 13 FPS.

I get get wanting to stan for your favorite games, but is this really the hill you want to die on?

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I experienced a few of these.

Normally I'm ok taking on waves of enemies in Saints Row the Third (On 360 and PS3) so something did feel off with the aiming.

The performance bit is shocking considering its a previous gen title. I guess it was a straight port not a re-release.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I experienced a few of these.

Normally I'm ok taking on waves of enemies in Saints Row the Third (On 360 and PS3) so something did feel off with the aiming.

The performance bit is shocking considering its a previous gen title. I guess it was a straight port not a re-release.

Im wondering if the engine just isn't supported well on Switch

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Great video, friend!

Very disappointed the bar for games on their launch seems to be getting lower and lower. The only way that trend reverses is if shit like this continues to get criticized and called out

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointed the bar for games on their launch seems to be getting lower and lower. The only way that trend reverses is if shit like this continues to get criticized and called out
the fact that HUGE day 1 patches are something that's expected for most big games is quite telling. it seems like for many publishers the polishing stage of game development is now done after the game is out.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
i thought the dragon's dogma port was supposed to be good? i need to watch the video from yesterday.

I've seem maybe one report of bad frame rate with mystic knight. Otherwise, I play that game back and forth between xbox one x and switch all the time. Runs fine in my experience other than some pop-in and I don't think most would noticed the resolution until that DF video. It's got some minor stuff, but I wouldn't put it on par with what I've seen from SR3.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not bad if you actually played the game. Ive been playing it handheld exclusively.
I've seem maybe one report of bad frame rate with mystic knight. Otherwise, I play that game back and forth between xbox one x and switch all the time. Runs fine in my experience other than some pop-in and I don't think most would noticed the resolution until that DF video. It's got some minor stuff, but I wouldn't put it on par with what I've seen from SR3.
i watched the DF video, it's not too bad. i've played games with worse resolution and frame rate on switch. it's still something i want to get in the future, maybe digitally on sale.