• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the game has issues with launch. It is supposed to be unlocked everywhere now but the devs tweeted they're looking into why it hasn't. Also the day one patch is MIA. Also there is a game breaking bug where after the fourth story mission it can restart you to the start with all saves wiped.

This launch seems like a disaster. Was hoping to pick up my pre-ordered copy after work today. Oof.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Easily the best game in the series. It's a fucking blast. When I buy a Switch, I'll probably pick up a cheap copy of this just to play through it again.

If you haven't played it before, you're in for a wild ride.

Bionic-Boost

May 12, 2018
So yeah ... I learnt that by couch co-op they meant two switches and two copies of the game are needed with no split screen intended. Weird that the co-op section has online, lan game and local play ... above all I feel like a victim of false advertising.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Apparently the game has issues with launch. It is supposed to be unlocked everywhere now but the devs tweeted they're looking into why it hasn't. Also the day one patch is MIA. Also there is a game breaking bug where after the fourth story mission it can restart you to the start with all saves wiped.

This launch seems like a disaster. Was hoping to pick up my pre-ordered copy after work today. Oof.

Guess it's a blessing in disguise that my pre-ordered copy is nowhere to be seen (it says it's delivered but it's not been, bloody Royal Mail).

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

In fairness, I don't think this is limited to Saints Row. Cuphead launch in EU was a joke, we weren't playing that until like 5-6pm launch day.
So yeah ... I learnt that by couch co-op they meant two switches and two copies of the game are needed with no split screen intended. Weird that the co-op section has online, lan game and local play ... above all I feel like a victim of false advertising.
This pissed me off. "Couch co-op" means something very specific, and I think they were aware of that.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Initial impressions: It's a solid port. People need to remind themselves what 2011 games look like before they make a reasonable judgement.

My only gripe thus far? No gyro aiming. It would be a really nice addition. Crank up that sensitivity.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Initial impressions: It's a solid port. People need to remind themselves what 2011 games look like before they make a reasonable judgement.

My only gripe thus far? No gyro aiming. It would be a really nice addition. Crank up that sensitivity.
Yeah. It's basically just a port of the Xbox 360/PS3 game. It doesn't really improve upon anything nor does it do anything worse. It's portable SR3. Still waiting on that patch to hit to see what improvements it brings.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It bugs the hell out of me that the industry is sleeping on gyro controls. It's now a proven solution to one of console gaming's long standing problems. A Switch game in this genre without them doesn't feel like a Switch game at all.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I want this game, see a trailer and it sits in the comedy spectrum? Like it doesn't take it seriously, the art cover makes it looks like a GTA with gangs and typical open world stuff, but it seems it has heavy comedy/parody stuff...

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I don't know if I want this game, see a trailer and it sits in the comedy spectrum? Like it doesn't take it seriously, the art cover makes it looks like a GTA with gangs and typical open world stuff, but it seems it has heavy comedy/parody stuff...
They pretty much make the game as crazy as possible. It ramps up the absurdity as the game goes on.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda just went with Saints Row 2. Not just easier to port but a better game too.

nick_b

Dec 10, 2017
Does anyone even know what the patch fixes? That would be nice to know. Stable 30fps? Since it should have been day one they might as well release the patch notes.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Does anyone even know what the patch fixes? That would be nice to know. Stable 30fps? Since it should have been day one they might as well release the patch notes.

It's supposedly going to fix some of the performance issues in Docked mode (and hopefully fix the game-breaking bug in Chapter 4). Who knows whether that's true or whether there's going to be any other changes.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't noticed really terrible performance even after reaching the open world. Interested to see if this patch will deliver the changes some of you are hoping for.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't noticed really terrible performance even after reaching the open world. Interested to see if this patch will deliver the changes some of you are hoping for.

Tried this out undocked and yeah- it looked and ran great overall. Was wondering what the day one patch was really going to fix until I got to a shop and found that A no longer worked in-game to accept the prompts and exit the menu. :|

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I liked playing Saints Row the Third again.

The only issue so far I've had is that using the switch controller it is diffciult to aim.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

GTA is for all the kids that want to be cool gangsta, SRT is for all the kids that want to be gangsta and have fun.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted my analysis video here:

As a general summary, in its current, unpatched state

- 1080p docked, 720p handheld
- noticeable artifacting due to the use of a lower resolution buffer for certain visual effects
- unlocked framerate
- frequently below 30fps, goes as low as 13fps in stress points

If you have any feedback or questions about the video, pls feel free to quote and I will answer tomorrow!

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posted my analysis video here:

As a general summary, in its current, unpatched state

- 1080p docked, 720p handheld
- noticeable artifacting due to the use of a lower resolution buffer for certain visual effects
- unlocked framerate
- frequently below 30fps, goes as low as 13fps in stress points

If you have any feedback or questions about the video, pls feel free to quote and I will answer tomorrow!

That's ridiculous for what's essentially a last gen game. The Switch should be able to hold at least 30 fps...

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
It's such a shame since I was looking forward to this a lot. Sigh. Really wish we got SR3 on PS4 instead of the meh fourth game.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
That's ridiculous for what's essentially a last gen game. The Switch should be able to hold at least 30 fps...

It's not ridiculous. Dragon's Dogma is unlocked 30fps as well, and it has more frequent dips to 10s than SR. The only difference is SR is native resolution while DD is sub native.

Both games have pop in problems but DD's pop is much worse than SR. DD's open world is mostly nature where you and your pawn only moving characters yet there is serious pop ins, trees, rocks etc and they're pop very close to you. SR is much better port than DD imo. Probably that patch will make it even better.

I want to compare SR to this month's AC3 too. But from what I saw, I can safely say all three games are cheap quick ports. Could have been more optimized, but they were not.

Dec 23, 2017
It's not ridiculous. Dragon's Dogma is unlocked 30fps as well, and it has more frequent dips to 10s than SR. The only difference is SR is native resolution while DD is sub native.

Both games have pop in problems but DD's pop is much worse than SR. DD's open world is mostly nature where you and your pawn only moving characters yet there is serious pop ins, trees, rocks etc and they're pop very close to you. SR is much better port than DD imo. Probably that patch will make it even better.

I want to compare SR to this month's AC3 too. But from what I saw, I can safely say all three games are cheap quick ports. Could have been more optimized, but they were not.
This can't be said enough hit most people will just quickly say it's switch hardware and move on.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, SR2 was bloated and humourless, they fixed that with 3.
Excusing less content as "previous game was bloated" is a poor defence, especially when the amount of content present is poor as is. Also constant string of peepeepoopoo is not humour, you know what is? Contrast. Having serious and memorable moments in between smearing the town with shit using a septic truck is what made that game more than just WACKYFUNTIMEHAHALOOKATWHATWAKCYWEAREPENIS. SR3 is an embarrassment and what happened to the series afterwards is a shame.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Maybe my memory of this game was foggy i don't remember it running that bad even on PS3. I think more time in the oven would have improved things. At least not sub 20 fps performance. Sorry off topic, but all this made me boot up SR2 on PC and i'm surprised how well that port is as long as you are cool with 30 fps.