• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It's not ridiculous. Dragon's Dogma is unlocked 30fps as well, and it has more frequent dips to 10s than SR. The only difference is SR is native resolution while DD is sub native.

Both games have pop in problems but DD's pop is much worse than SR. DD's open world is mostly nature where you and your pawn only moving characters yet there is serious pop ins, trees, rocks etc and they're pop very close to you. SR is much better port than DD imo. Probably that patch will make it even better.

I want to compare SR to this month's AC3 too. But from what I saw, I can safely say all three games are cheap quick ports. Could have been more optimized, but they were not.

OT, but have you see Switch footage of AC3? Super curious about how this turns out.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say it would be easier to port, the pc version is a notorious unoptimized mess and they've never re-released it.
Yea so I've heard, but that could have just been a bad porting job rather than something wrong with the code, they could still use the 360 version as the base. I was mostly thinking in line of it being older and less hardware intensive, thus less taxing on the Switch, but Im not that well versed in these sort of things so I might be wrong in everything I just said.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking forward to this, but THQ Nordic means they don't get my money. Getting it used is always an option though.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
THQ Nordic makes me miss Miiverse. There is no way to give negative feedback on Switch towards their output. Fucking fascists.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THQ Nordic makes me miss Miiverse. There is no way to give negative feedback on Switch towards their output. Fucking fascists.
Rip, I just read an article saying Koch was purchased by THQN. Although it looks like the holding company that owns THQN (the one that did the 8chan AMA) is a separate entity, and Deep silver also operates as a separate entity.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
The customisation options in this game are so good. Spending hours just mucking around in the clothing stores making custom outfits.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Ugh, my order says its delivered but it's 100% not delivered, and since it's a weekend I have to wait until Monday at the earliest to get it sorted. Bloody Royal Mail.

I mean, the performance issues really suck but I'd much rather be able to see them for myself instead of being stuck in the limbo I am right now.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I was looking forward to this, but THQ Nordic means they don't get my money. Getting it used is always an option though.
isnt this now under some scumbag studio? like deepsilver or THQ nordic?

It's published by Deep Silver & Koch Media which are owned by THQ Nordic AB.

THQ Nordic GmbH (the people behind the 8chan thing) have no direct ownership of or control over either publisher, and THQ Nordic AB itself is a holding company that basically just exists to make money from what it owns.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say it would be easier to port, the pc version is a notorious unoptimized mess and they've never re-released it.

Yeah, I think SR2 and I SR1 as well are just a mess code wise and so ports of them are unlikely. The first game only really came to the 360 and as you said the PC port of 2 is a pretty bad. Shame since 2 is my favorite by far, but it does run pretty well on an xbox one.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Yeah, I think SR2 and I SR1 as well are just a mess code wise and so ports of them are unlikely. The first game only really came to the 360 and as you said the PC port of 2 is a pretty bad. Shame since 2 is my favorite by far, but it does run pretty well on an xbox one.
During one of the streams yesterday the developers said that they couldn't port 1 or 2 due to technical reasons. So yeah, probably not going to happen :(

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
It's published by Deep Silver & Koch Media which are owned by THQ Nordic AB.

THQ Nordic GmbH (the people behind the 8chan thing) have no direct ownership of or control over either publisher, and THQ Nordic AB itself is a holding company that basically just exists to make money from what it owns.
So? It was THQ Nordic AB's CEO, who felt the need to adress the issue in this sad excuse of a non appology:
This letter is to offer my sincerest apologies and regret for THQ Nordic GmbH Vienna's interaction with the controversial website 8chan last Tuesday, February 26. I condemn all unethical content this website stands for. Even if no one within the THQ Nordic Group would ever endorse such content, I realize simply appearing there gave an implicit impression that we did.

As Co-Founder and Group CEO of THQ Nordic AB, I take full responsibility for all of THQ Nordic GmbH's actions and communications. I have spent the past several days conducting an internal investigation into this matter. I assure you that every member of the organization has learned from this past week's events. I take this matter very seriously and we will take appropriate action to make sure we have the right policies and systems in place to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

As a Swedish based, fast growing group, we firmly support equality and diversity. We are also working actively to combat discrimination, harassment, and misconduct. We are already in the process of developing new work processes, based on the United Nations' SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) and using the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) standards, and we will accelerate this work going forward.

Lars Wingefors

Co-founder and Group-CEO, THQ Nordic AB

"...the controversial website...", okay...

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
During one of the streams yesterday the developers said that they couldn't port 1 or 2 due to technical reasons. So yeah, probably not going to happen :(

Yeah, it would have happened already if it were easy to do so.
So? It was THQ Nordic AB's CEO, who felt the need to adress the issue in this sad excuse of a non appology:

"...the controversial website...", okay...

OK, it seems you've made your mind up here.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Okay... a few missions in and the character voices have just disappeared. Only the PC is talking. Damn.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's really bad, and isn't limited to just one mission. Restarting the game doesn't help in any way, so not sure how to fix it. That patch needs to come quick. Disappointing.

Yeah that's essentially game-breaking. Would suck if players missed out (or worse, had a weird messed-up version of) on the car singing scene due to it.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mildly interested in this... curious more to hear how the gameplay has held up rather than performance.

I remember it fondly, but is it actually still fun?

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Picked this up today, but I can't change the brightness setting? Anybody else having issues with that?
Yeah...the game seems way too dark to me like the contrast is super low or something.

Also experienced an annoying glitch earlier. I finished a mission, went to the safe house to upgrade a weapon, and was told I don't have enough money but I CLEARLY had enough money. More than enough. Anyway, the game glitched and wouldn't let me press A (the prompt said to press A for "ok") and it wouldn't let me press B to back out. I was stuck at the screen incorrectly telling me I don't have enough money for an upgrade. I tried every button combination I could think of and even pressed the Home button to go to the Switch menu and back to the game. Nothing worked.

I ultimately had to restart the game and play that mission over again because it didn't auto-save after beating it the first time and I didn't think to manually save the game before upgrading stuff at the crib. Now I save immediately after finishing a mission, just in case.

Had an audio glitch during a mission where my car horn kept honking non-freaking-stop the entire time no matter what I did. It was driving me crazy.

Apart from the odd glitches, blurry textures here and there, and the low resolution, I'm enjoying the game. They fooled me into thinking local co-op meant two people sharing the same screen a la GTA San Andreas. Unfortunately, not the case :( Both people must have a Switch and a copy of the game. Oh well...

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Mildly interested in this... curious more to hear how the gameplay has held up rather than performance.

I remember it fondly, but is it actually still fun?
The gameplay still feels really fun to me personally, I really enjoyed it back in 2012.

This port in particular has some serious technical issues right now though.

Bionic-Boost

May 12, 2018
Sorry to resurrect this thread but is anyone interested in playing some Co-Op?

If so please add my friend code

2173-8032-1546

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of impressions in here also has me concerned.

Just watched the Giant Bomb quicklook and performance looked... acceptable, but it seemed like there was way less people/cars on the streets.

Am I just misremembering the game?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Yeah...the game seems way too dark to me like the contrast is super low or something.

Also experienced an annoying glitch earlier. I finished a mission, went to the safe house to upgrade a weapon, and was told I don't have enough money but I CLEARLY had enough money. More than enough. Anyway, the game glitched and wouldn't let me press A (the prompt said to press A for "ok") and it wouldn't let me press B to back out. I was stuck at the screen incorrectly telling me I don't have enough money for an upgrade. I tried every button combination I could think of and even pressed the Home button to go to the Switch menu and back to the game. Nothing worked.

I ultimately had to restart the game and play that mission over again because it didn't auto-save after beating it the first time and I didn't think to manually save the game before upgrading stuff at the crib. Now I save immediately after finishing a mission, just in case.

Had an audio glitch during a mission where my car horn kept honking non-freaking-stop the entire time no matter what I did. It was driving me crazy.

Apart from the odd glitches, blurry textures here and there, and the low resolution, I'm enjoying the game. They fooled me into thinking local co-op meant two people sharing the same screen a la GTA San Andreas. Unfortunately, not the case :( Both people must have a Switch and a copy of the game. Oh well...

I keep getting a glitch where it tells me I have $1,000,000 which I don't but then it won't let me upgrade if I have the actual money to cover it. Game is a mess, but hopefully the patch works.
The lack of impressions in here also has me concerned.

Just watched the Giant Bomb quicklook and performance looked... acceptable, but it seemed like there was way less people/cars on the streets.

Am I just misremembering the game?

I mean it's Saint's Row 3, it was never the most stable. But it's a faithful port. I'm awaiting the hopeful port of SRIV since it's a heck of a lot better performing if I recall.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Wow this game is so good, I forgot how much fun it was, Pure fun no time wasting nonsense, cool levelling system, fun mechanics

They really need to improve the framerate though its really bad

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Patch this week right?

Yeah thats what I am hoping for from the patch. Docked performance in particular. Undocked its...ok I guess given the complete lack of a GTA style game, and I actually prefer the gameplay systems in SR3 to GTA games. But they really need to up the framerate to make it fun particularly the driving.

telboy

Oct 27, 2017
Here are the patch notes:
https://www.deepsilver.com/en/saints-row-the-third-the-full-package-switch-patch-notes-2/

Quote:
  • added auto-matchmaking feature
  • added low resolution particle rendering and related performance update
  • added credits sequence updates to icons & names
  • fixed an issue where audio would desync after switching to the main menu and back
  • subtitle fixes for female character customization
  • fixed user confirmation pop-up to reconnect to Nintendo Switch Online after connection loss
  • fixed auto matchmaking for public game play
  • fixed DLC Russian & Japanese localization
  • crash fix: forced termination may occur after selecting "End game" on the pose screen
  • general iterative bugfixes and performance optimizations
  • infinite loading screen fixed
  • user confirmation popup to reconnect to Nintendo Switch Online after connection loss
  • fixed International & Japanese subtitles and lip sync
  • subtitle fixed (subtitles for female character)
This patch will be ready for you to download to your Nintendo Switch from Thursday 16th May at 3AM CEST/ 4AM BST/ 9PM PST (15th May).

Dec 23, 2017
https://www.deepsilver.com/en/saints-row-the-third-the-full-package-switch-patch-notes-2/

Quote:
  • fixed an issue where audio would desync after switching to the main menu and back
  • fixed user confirmation pop-up to reconnect to Nintendo Switch Online after connection loss
  • crash fix: forced termination may occur after selecting "End game" on the pose screen
  • user confirmation popup to reconnect to Nintendo Switch Online after connection loss
This patch will be ready for you to download to your Nintendo Switch from Thursday 16th May at 3AM CEST/ 4AM BST/ 9PM PST (15th May).
Well there it is.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

Quote:
Now need to push for Gyro controls.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So no fixed gamma, no updated controls sensitivity/acceleration (the sluggish camera/aiming controls really impact how fun it is/isn't to move/play around SR3's world) and obviously no gyro aiming support.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
So no fixed gamma, no updated controls sensitivity/acceleration (the sluggish camera/aiming controls really impact how fun it is/isn't to move/play around SR3's world) and obviously no gyro aiming support.
It seems the problem is known, but not widespread and therefore needs to be verified. Below the patch notes it says:

"Some of you have experienced some more unusual issues which we need to look at a little more deeply. Should you experience any of the below, or anything not listed which impacts your enjoyment of Saints Row: The Third – The Full Package please report it to our technical support team using this form: http://support.deepsilver.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=6&id=5&artlang=en

Please give us as much information as possible so we can replicate and fix, this includes system number for your Nintendo Switch, SD cards in use and your region.

• Input lag
  • Default low sensitivity in controls
  • Slider sensitivity in character creation
  • Texture and graphic bugs"

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you turn off automatic updates on the Switch?

I don't want my copy of Saints Row to get patched. I would like to wait to hear about impressions.

Honestly I am very happy with how it runs and plays in handheld mode. Made lots of tuning to controls and such to get it right too. So I don't want this patch possibly ruining that.

Dec 23, 2017
Can you turn off automatic updates on the Switch?

I don't want my copy of Saints Row to get patched. I would like to wait to hear about impressions.

Honestly I am very happy with how it runs and plays in handheld mode. Made lots of tuning to controls and such to get it right too. So I don't want this patch possibly ruining that.
According to digital foundry it is a mess and compared to one of the worst third party ports on switch. I have heard others enjoying it as is. A patch is on the way and the dev team seems to be behind this. Think I will purchase now to support. Too much negative press as of today. I say start playing and have your own impressions.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I had the game crash after failing a Genki challenge, the only time I had my switch crash like that was when I decided to start using the Wabbajack on the main city for the Stormcloaks in Skyrim. Once I got into the throne room the game crashed.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
So the update it out now since I've been updated to 1.4
Yeah, I just noticed that this too. Doesn't look like anyplace else has caught on about it to post yet. I could boot it up and see how it performs, but I don't really have the eye to see what the improvements are, if any.

Edit: Booted it up, and I'm sure I can see some slowdown still when running and spinning the camera around...but it does feel smoother. I don't notice that horrible latency when aiming anymore. This is just first impressions though.

Last edited:

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
The patch that updates the game to version 1.4 should be out everywhere now and improve performance (among other things) quite a bit. I'm gonna jump into the game tonight for the first time (well, after finishing it on 360 several years ago).

Last edited:

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
The patch that updates the game to version 1.4 should be out everywhere now and improve performance (among other things) quite a bit. I'm gonna jump into the game tonight for the first time (well, after finishing it on 360 several years ago).
Let us Know, I had to send my Switch into SquareTrade for repairs. I am hoping the might have cleaned up the messy code a bit.