• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
A return to the tone of 2 would be great. 3 just felt like it played everything up to the point of pie-in-face farce.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, the possible tone shift is making me more hyped than anything else here. 2 stroke a perfect balance before it all went clownshoes, so Im hoping its closer to that than anything. The story bits about the Saints becoming evil makes perfect sense as well, I actually expected that to be the main plot of 3 way before it was announced.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down for a new SR game. Never played the super powers one because that didn't appeal to me. This sounds good

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This honestly sounds really good. I wasnt a fan of the super powers at all. But I liked the games without super powers.

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Please let it be more like Saints row 2 in terms of tone. I love that game so much.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of that story, if it's true. I really didn't care for SR1&2, so if that's the direction it's going I think I might be out. For me, SR3 is when the series finally got an identity that wasn't just a GTA clone.

For 5, I was kinda hoping we'd get some time travel shenanigans to start. Then maybe something happens where they fuck up the time line and get stranded back in Stilwater and have to start from the bottom again.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
The fact that Julius was 100% correct in how monstrous the Saints were should have been a major plot point in 3, but nah. Have them be worldwide celebs and shit.

They're probably going to retcon SR3's ending so that it's a mixture of both endings. Which is nice.
That was such an awesome mission in 2, the way they ditched troy and dex in the third was such a spit in the face for the fans.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Could still be good though I honestly would of preferred a straight sequel to 4. Really enjoyed how over the top it was

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nine hours later and neither Zhuge, Shinobi, or J Schreier have jumped in to debunk this rumor. So it's happening............please?
tenor.gif

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think a middle ground between 2 and 3 would be the sweet spot for me. I loed some of the irreverency that came with the third game, but there was definitely a lot of tone clashing. So stuff like Gat unexpecting biting the bullet didn't hit anywhere near as hard as Carlos' death in the second game. But just the same, the third game had much better pacing.

Speaking of Dex, I wonder if we will finally resolve his story line.

I mean if this leak is true I wouldn't be surprised for the big twist being Dex actually works for the Saints. Would drive home just how far the group has "sold out."

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's plausible but it would be extremely ballsy from them to make us kill the old saints. "Fans" would throw a fit.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a middle ground between 2 and 3 would be the sweet spot for me. I loed some of the irreverency that came with the third game, but there was definitely a lot of tone clashing. So stuff like Gat unexpecting biting the bullet didn't hit anywhere near as hard as Carlos' death in the second game. But just the same, the third game had much better pacing.

I mean if this leak is true I wouldn't be surprised for the big twist being Dex actually works for the Saints. Would drive home just how far the group has "sold out."
Yeah that sounds like it could happen. Would fit really well with the theme of the first three games.
Oh well.

Hopefully it is a true reboot then. Street gangs starting from the bottom.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
SR 4 was the best one! I am biased though as I get bored of standard GTA style open world games after a while. Still excited for this.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like the rumours are fake then. As long as it's more grounded like 1-3 I'm there day 1.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope the rumors are true. That all sounds good to me. I loved 4, but there was nowhere to go after that. 3 is my favorite in the series.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
The wacky humor becoming the focus of the franchise is really disappointing. GTA will always have better production values but I was hoping for a GTA-lite with a better story and dialogue. Saints Row 2 is a fun game.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
c'mon. saints row 5 is probably happening but this is the most fanficcy 'leak' i've seen in a while. claims like the visuals 'not being cartoony at all' (despite - if i'm not mistaken - every game aside from the first having cartoony elements and the same rumour claiming things like an extreme character creation mode and dick censor bar physics that contradict this), physics more in line with GTA V (it's unlikely a game using the same engine that it's always been using would overhaul something like that so radically) and the game ignoring everything after 3 (because presumably the person that wrote that didn't like the direction the game's went in) should have been big red flags for anyone that this was a fanboy/girl's wishful thinking.
was there any validity to this other than the fact that it was 'detailed' (which isn't necessarily a sign that a rumour is more true - dedicated fans can easily write essays of what they'd like to see in a new sequel) and saints row 5 is likely to be a thing that exists?

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Please give us open ended missions

Breath of the Wild showed just how restricting modern open world games are with mission design. RDR2 was just the straw that broke the horse's back. I'm sincerely hoping Volition uses a different approach.

CyclotronHGA

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I enjoyed SR4, I'm glad to see they potentially decided to retcon the story. The SR5 premise also looks interesting with the Saints as the villains, so combine that with SR2 levels of character customization, a more realistic tone, with an expanded Stillwater, and this could be really cool!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
I figured this was fake due to the 32 player MP.

Volition is one of the smallest AAA devs, so even if they bring back MP for SR5, I would expect a significantly smaller number than 32. SR2 had a max of 8 or 12 depending on the mode.

EDIT: Also IdolNinja (Volition community manager, SR2 PC savior) himself has confirmed it's fake on the community Discord.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the random 4chan rumour that people take for granted because it sounds good meme strikes again

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sick. Glad they're making things less off the rails as I wasn't the biggest fan of 4/gat out of hell. Looking forward to it if true! Saints Row has the opportunity to fill that void that the classic GTA's left now that GTA has become more realistic.

Also, bring back protect the pimp tysm

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the leak sounded bullshit anyways, but as a super fan who follows Volition on Social Media I knew 5 was coming and have been waiting. And though I would prefer a mix of 2&3 I will take anything, I have been following and playing their games since Freespace and they haven't dissapointed me yet, just platinumed SR3 remaster on release, day 1 purchase for me.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Already debunked, but this definitely sounds like Saints Row fan dream shit. Retconning SR4? lol

I don't even know what this means:
  • Tone is a middle ground between 1, 2 and 3.
So... 2?

Anyways, there is no way you'd play as a group other than the Saints. I heavily doubt they're going back to Stilwater.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit no. I want space saints. Give us the mass effect citadel game we always wanted but using the saints basically.

Edit: Ahh it's fake