• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://news-cs.marv.jp/article/11636

As of June 4th 2021, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin has exceeded 1M units shipped worldwide.

The following is a message from the two-person team at Edelweiss translated using DeepL:

A message of thanks from Edelweiss, who planned and developed "Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin", has been released to thank everyone for over 1 million units shipped worldwide.

Message in commemoration of surpassing one million units:

Our original goal was 30,000 units. That's still an amazing number.

If I went to an event and distributed one copy at a time, that would be 2,160 copies every 10 seconds, so 1,000,000 copies...? That doesn't make any sense....

After the release of the game, we are grateful to all the players who have enjoyed the game in ways beyond our imagination, and have extended it to others.

In addition, although this title was developed by a doujin circle and we tend to be out in the open, we believe that we were able to reach this figure because of the efforts of Marvelous in advertising, package production, and sales distribution that they have cultivated.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you.

Edelweiss Representative / Director / Programmer
Nal

Edelweiss Artist
Koichi

Past milestones:
Launched on November 10th to November 20th 2020 in various regions
500k units shipped as of November 25th 2020
850k units as of January 29th, 2021

950k units as of end of March 2021

Update:

According to the press release, the game has shipped 600k units in Japan alone:

DeepL translation:
(President and Representative Director: Shuichi Huda; Location: Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo) is pleased to announce that the worldwide cumulative shipments* of its Japanese-style action RPG "Tensui no Sakuna Hime", which was released in November 2020, have surpassed one million units (domestic cumulative shipments have also surpassed 600,000 units*).

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
A plurality of that was from Japan right? I thought I heard it was a pretty big hit at release.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
incredible work for a 2-person studio. Rice is Life!

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP with the past milestones

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a standard action platformer or is it a Metroidvania? Because now I want to buy it.

Also, PC and Switch are just excuses to print money.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a standard action platformer or is it a Metroidvania? Because now I want to buy it.

closer to action platformer cross farming game. go into levels for loot + progress the story, build up your rice field as your primary way of levelling up and becoming more powerful

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been meaning to grab this. I played a version of it at E3 2018(!) that seemed near complete and polished, so I was shocked it only recently released.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

It's more like Actraiser in that it's a hybrid of genres. One half of the gameplay is growing rice which will affect your stats to make you stronger to progress through the game. The other half is action platformer with a lot of depth to the attacks and skills you can do which can be like a fighting game.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

It's like 2D Devil May Cry combined with a very stringent rice farming portion. So much so that there are Japanese players that used official government online resources on rice farming instructions.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
closer to action platformer cross farming game. go into levels for loot + progress the story, build up your rice field as your primary way of levelling up and becoming more powerful
Sweet, consider it bought.
It's more like Actraiser in that it's a hybrid of genres
I don't even know what that is!

It's like 2D Devil May Cry combined with a very stringent rice farming portion. So much so that there are Japanese players that used official government online resources on rice farming instructions.
That's one way to get people to read government websites.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a good chunk of it was form Switch. Got the collectors edition.
To think they were not going to release their game on it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely plan on getting this on Switch someday

Congrats to the team on it - game looks lovely!

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
still have this in my "to buy list" but yeah I shouldnt wait much longer.. before physical copies leaves the shelves.

Congrats to the devs. Amazing =)

600k units shipped in Japan
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
According to the press release, the game has shipped 600k units in Japan alone:

DeepL translation:
(President and Representative Director: Shuichi Huda; Location: Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo) is pleased to announce that the worldwide cumulative shipments* of its Japanese-style action RPG "Tensui no Sakuna Hime", which was released in November 2020, have surpassed one million units (domestic cumulative shipments have also surpassed 600,000 units*).

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Most underrated and underplayed game of last year.

Game was a blast and Sakuna herself is a pretty swell character.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
So...did they not have any idea of potential buzz surrounding the game beforehand for them to have such a lowball expectation?

I think expectations probably changed after Nintendo approached them to make a Switch version. The game had been in development for 4-5 years.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear it! I still haven't played it yet, but I have both the Switch and PS4 Divine Editions just sitting here... I don't know which version I'd rather play! XD

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Amazing success for the team but lol

In addition, although this title was developed by a doujin circle and we tend to be out in the open, we believe that we were able to reach this figure because of the efforts of Marvelous in advertising, package production, and sales distribution that they have cultivated.

Your publisher didn't even want to release on the platform that hard-carried those numbers.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome to hear, been meaning to pick this game up looks insanely fun. Is there much difference between the Switch and Ps4 version?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome to hear, been meaning to pick this game up looks insanely fun. Is there much difference between the Switch and Ps4 version?

I think the main difference was that only when farming (i.e. at your home base) the game runs at 30fps on Switch while combat gameplay runs at 60fps.

PS4 version runs at 60fps for everything.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
It deserves it, great game, great idea, great combination of RPG and farming game....

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main difference was that only when farming (i.e. at your home base) the game runs at 30fps on Switch while combat gameplay runs at 60fps.

PS4 version runs at 60fps for everything.
Cool thanks, 30fps when farming doesn't seem all that important imo so may get the switch version.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Game entered my orbit when I heard some of the EZA folks talking about it on Frame Trap some months back, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Glad to see this hit massively over projection, though!

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What a result! In the announcement they say it's a record for an Japanese indie game. I hope it spurs on other indie teams to try their vest and gets Japanese publishers interested in helping them take their work to the next level.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of my favorites from last year. Amazing character designs, cute characterization, deep combat and farming mechanics to tinker with and learn the mechanics of. An extremely rewarding game that is like nothing else out there.

Super happy for the team.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a result! In the announcement they say it's a record for an Japanese indie game. I hope it spurs on other indie teams to try their vest and gets Japanese publishers interested in helping them take their work to the next level.
Marvelous announced that they set up a group to evaluate indie games for publishing. Kinda surprised jp companies haven't taken a page out of western pubs book yet

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Marvelous announced that they set up a group to evaluate indie games for publishing. Kinda surprised jp companies haven't taken a page out of western pubs book yet

Great news but yes exactly. They'd need just walk down the game section of any Comiket and be spoiled for choice by people who just do it has a hobby. Shu said he'd be championing indies for PlayStation so he should be doing the same.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
So...did they not have any idea of potential buzz surrounding the game beforehand for them to have such a lowball expectation?
The game was originally supposed to only be sold in a bi-annual doujin event. The game already looked amazing before they got picked up by a publisher, and I'm sure Marvelous also saw how good it looked.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who enjoyed Salina, be sure to check out Astebreed! It's very, very different (it's a wild, multiple camera angle shooter), but great as well! Astebreed is what got me into anticipating Sakuna in the first place. Edelweiss doesn't fuck around.