• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Finally a trailer on the actual strength of Sakura Wars. Was wondering if they were going to bother showcasing the relationship/dialogue mechanics at all.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

New trailer released by Sega + a PS blog post detailing the pre-order bonuses

Physical:
49646223887_bc32602e05_h.jpg

Normal Digital:
Imperial Combat Revue PS4 Dynamic Theme + Neko Ears Add-on Bundle

Digital Deluxe:
49645940571_8443ec59a6_h.jpg

Well hey, at least some good gaming info came out of today.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Btw for the new players watching these trailers I would like to point out that even though Sakura Wars does have dating sim elements and
I see a lot of people promoting it as Waifu simulator, keep in mind that the game's entire cast consists of 16 female characters + 1 female villain
and 5 male characters + 2 male villains.
The protagonist may be male but he always was more of an observer and you the player depending on your choices created his character in each game.
He's the guy who watches all those girls trying to overcome their problems and cheers them on while facing them.
That's why the game is still pretty popular in Japan among female players, because at the end of the day it's not about you, it's about the girls.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

They updated the game today and added a bunch of new features, the most important one being the addition of a lock-on system.
I can't believe it, they actually did it!Haven't tried the update yet but when I do I'll share my impressions here.

Btw here's also a a PV for the upcoming anime

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

A preview from Easy Allies is up, I think they do a pretty good job at explaining what this game is about and who is it for

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Be reminded that the anime is airing in Japan in approximately 2hours10mins. Can't wait.

Edit: finished watching the first episode. Yep, this is exactly what I want. I WANT MORE

Last edited:

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I watched the anime too and having watched all the trailer I was pretty hyped for the anime but even then they managed to exceed my expectations.
They did a really good job at capturing the atmosphere of the game and the dialogue between the characters was pretty on-point.
Also the animation even though 3D CG was surprisingly good.
I mean it's still 3D, you can notice that but to me it's been crazy how much 3D animation has been improved the last couple of years.
I think some years down the line we'll reach a point where 3D CG will be like 99% close to 2D CG quality.
Now having said all that for anyone who hasn't played the game I highly recommend to hold off until you do, not because there any significant spoilers
but because the anime does not take any time to introduce any of these characters of the setting/period, so it can be abrupt to newcomers, especially
for people who don't have any idea of the franchise.

Is this game getting delayed?
I've seen some people on twitter mention that amazon sent them an email mentioning that the delivery will be delayed.
That's just for the physical copies though, I think digital is safe for now.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched the anime too and having watched all the trailer I was pretty hyped for the anime but even then they managed to exceed my expectations.
They did a really good job at capturing the atmosphere of the game and the dialogue between the characters was pretty on-point.
Also the animation even though 3D CG was surprisingly good.
I mean it's still 3D, you can notice that but to me it's been crazy how much 3D animation has been improved the last couple of years.
I think some years down the line we'll reach a point where 3D CG will be like 99% close to 2D CG quality.
Now having said all that for anyone who hasn't played the game I highly recommend to hold off until you do, not because there any significant spoilers
but because the anime does not take any time to introduce any of these characters of the setting/period, so it can be abrupt to newcomers, especially
for people who don't have any idea of the franchise.
Happy to see that you like the anime too. I love it so much that I have already watched it for a few times.

Going to put my some of my thoughts on the story into spoiler
- interesting to see that they put Kamiyama into backseat. Kamiyama is easily the most interesting character in the game due to the hilarious options as well as his decisiveness shown in the main story. Very excited to see how Sakura will act her role as temporary captain and lead others to protect Kurara.
- I wonder how they will build the structure of this anime series. Maybe each of the five main girls will go through their time with Kurara for five episodes in a row, with some foreshadowing dropping in-between for the main story. Then, kamiyama will return in the second half and start dealing with the main villain.
- The girls' comments of Kamiyama during makeup... lmao. Did Kamaiyama choose to view all the bathroom scenes?
- Sakura never learns. This scumbag does not remember any promise he had made in the past lol.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm kinda disappointed that this title doesn't put more emphasize on the combat system. Really digging the artstyle and general basics from the videos I've seen, but a good combat system is usually a must for me, and this doesn't really seem to fulfill this aspect.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm kinda disappointed that this title doesn't put more emphasize on the combat system. Really digging the artstyle and general basics from the videos I've seen, but a good combat system is usually a must for me, and this doesn't really seem to fulfill this aspect.

I don't thinkany of the Sakura Wars games have had historically "good" combat systems, but serviceable ones. Sakura Wars games have always been greater than the sum if their parts.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles is like Sakura Wars if the priorities were reversed. Combat is the main thing in VC, while Story and characters are the main thing about SW.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I don't thinkany of the Sakura Wars games have had historically "good" combat systems, but serviceable ones. Sakura Wars games have always been greater than the sum if their parts.
Yeah, seems like that. I'm not familiar with the series in any way, so I've got this particular title as an entry point.

Valkyria Chronicles is like Sakura Wars if the priorities were reversed. Combat is the main thing in VC, while Story and characters are the main thing about SW.
I liked VC for its good combat, but missed character's having more of a relationship with one another. Modern Fire Emblem is the standard I hold those games to in that regard.
Guess I'll give Sakura Wars a try further down the line in the end, end of April is already kind of stacked for me.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Never played any of the games before, am I good to jump in with this one?
Yeah pretty much.
The new game is actually a soft reboot, pretty similar to how the new game God of War handled it, meaning that even though it's very different from the old games
chronologically the story takes place many years after the last game and there are 1-2 returning characters but almost everyone else is new.

I know a lot of people mention Fire Emblem in order to describe what Sakura Wars and to be honest I did so too many times in the past
but I think in the end it still gives the wrong impression, because Sakura Wars was, is and probably will always be a Visual Novel.
I know that now that the game is 3D it kinda does not look like but honestly that's still the case and even then the game still has
scenes here and there that are 2D hand drawn like a traditional VN.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
From what I have seen/hearing, combat is the weakest part of the game and there isn't that much of it overall... so if combat is really important for you this game might not be it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Like some of the other posters have said the combat unfortunately has never been the real focus in the Sakura Wars games. It is a dating sim first and a SRPG second.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty much.
The new game is actually a soft reboot, pretty similar to how the new game God of War handled it, meaning that even though it's very different from the old games
chronologically the story takes place many years after the last game and there are 1-2 returning characters but almost everyone else is new.

I know a lot of people mention Fire Emblem in order to describe what Sakura Wars and to be honest I did so too many times in the past
but I think in the end it still gives the wrong impression, because Sakura Wars was, is and probably will always be a Visual Novel.
I know that now that the game is 3D it kinda does not look like but honestly that's still the case and even then the game still has
scenes here and there that are 2D hand drawn like a traditional VN.
I see, thanks. How's the story?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I see, thanks. How's the story?

So the story in Japan has been pretty controversial for reasons I can't explain without getting into spoiler territory
but it mostly affects people who played the previous games and how they handled some things, to the point where there are some fans that want
the main writer, Jiro Iishi to be replaced.
Now if you want my opinion I think that for a franchise who's been dead for more than 16 years they did a good job at introducing the world of Sakura Wars to newcomers while also keeping fans excited for a sequel.
Also the pacing in my opinion is really good, there's hardly any filler there, all of the characters in some way or another, play a role in the story and there's always something happening in every chapter, whether it's a character's backstory or story progression.
Having said all that, keep in mind that the actual plot in Sakura Wars games is quite cliche and especially the villains remind me a lot of saturday morning cartoon villains or Tokusatsu villains, like power rangers.
So yeah, unfortunately that's the case here too, I'm kinda used to it but I'm curious how newcomers will react to that.

The most important aspect of Sakura Wars is always the characters and their interactions.
If you like the characters you're gonna have a good time with the game, because that along with the godly music of Kouhei Tanak is the highlight of this game

How much emphasis is placed on the character you bond the most with?

You can create strong bonds with all the characters if you want but nearly at the end you have to make a choice
with which you want to end up with.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preoder isn't up yet on US PSN, anyone know how hard the platinum is, hopefully I can do it on 1 playthrough

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Preoder isn't up yet on US PSN, anyone know how hard the platinum is, hopefully I can do it on 1 playthrough
It's no hard at all but one trophy in particular is really tedious because there's one minigame called Ikusa-chan, at in the japanese release
where you can play each combat stage of the game again choosing whichever character you want and the game wants to finish all those stages with all the different characters and get an S rank to each one of them.
Stages are really small and if you know them well it takes like 10 minutes tops to finish them but it's not like the combat is great or anything so it gets boring pretty fast :P.

Other than that you can get all the trophies in one playthrough if you want but without a guide it can be a little bit difficult because there are some missing collectibles which the game doesn't show on the map, but on NG+ it adds them on the map too so it's easier to find them

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's no hard at all but one trophy in particular is really tedious because there's one minigame called Ikusa-chan, at in the japanese release
where you can play each combat stage of the game again choosing whichever character you want and the game wants to finish all those stages with all the different characters and get an S rank to each one of them.
Stages are really small and if you know them well it takes like 10 minutes tops to finish them but it's not like the combat is great or anything so it great boring pretty fast :P.

Other than that you can get all the trophies in one playthrough if you want but without a guide it can be a little bit difficult because there are some missing collectibles which the game doesn't show on the map, but on NG+ it adds them on the map too so it's easier to find them
Thanks, ill probably not do the plat on this, at least depending how good the gameplay is.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I rather have changelling trophies than time consuming, ugh. Does it need multiple playthrough?
You can keep a save file right before the end, load it up and choose all the different girls in order to get all of the endings
but you need to have max affection with all of them in order to be able to choose at the end, because otherwise the game locks you out of that ending.
But it's really not that hard to reach to do it in one playthrugh even without a guide but if really want the plat in one playthrough I suggest you look a guide because otherwise you can easily miss it

So your previous interactions don't matter if you can just choose someone else near the end?
So I kinda explained how it works above, if you have max affection with every girl at the end you can choose whichever you want, but if you don't the game locks you out of it.

Btw funny little trivia that I recently discovered and always was curious about is what happens if you reach at the end with 0 affection for all the girls. which is feasible but by far the most difficult thing to achieve in the game and surprisingly enough I saw japanese player on twitter managing to do this and it seems
that the game
has some kind of girl order in the code and the first one is Sakura of course who is the main heroin so the game locks you to her.
Also instead of a happy notification of your final bond you get a sad notification
EUcgymZUYAAQdko

haha like saying "you did terrible, congrats!"

Last edited:

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Okay, that makes sense.
btw. is it possible to skip the fights or even parts of the game in a 2nd playthrough if I just want to max affection another girl that I missed in the 1st playthrough?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, that makes sense.
btw. is it possible to skip the fights or even parts of the game in a 2nd playthrough if I just want to max affection another girl that I missed in the 1st playthrough?

Unfortunately it isn't and I kinda hope you did to be honest, hell I hope you could in the previous games too, even more so :P.
The good thing though is that the game has a NG+ system where it carries over all your collectibles, mini-game progress and all your affection with the girls and the side characters.It's really helpful if you want to 100% the game and do all of the side-events, which are not necessary for the platinum.
Keep in mind though that if you use NG+ all the characters are maxed out in your playthroughs so you're not gonna see many changes in the dialogue or scenes.
Again not something that is necesary even for a 100% completion but with NG+ you get the feeling that everything is the same but with low-mid reliabilty there are some really subtle but cool changes here and there.

Oct 27, 2017
So the story in Japan has been pretty controversial in Japan for reasons I can't explain without getting into spoiler territory
but it mostly affects people who played the previous games and how they handled some things, to the point where there are some fans that want
the main writer, Jiro Iishi to be replaced.
Now if you want my opinion I think that for a franchise who's been dead for more than 16 years they did a good job at introducing the world of Sakura Wars to newcomers while also keeping fans excited for a sequel.
Also the pacing in my opinion is really good, there's hardly any filler there, all of the characters in some way or another, play a role in the story and there's always something happening in every chapter, whether it's a character's backstory or story progression.
Having said all that, keep in mind that the actual plot in Sakura Wars game in quite cliche and especially the villains remind me a lot of saturday morning cartoon villains or Tokusatsu villains, like power rangers.
So yeah, unfortunately that's the case here too, I'm kinda used to it but I'm curious how newcomers will react to that.

The most important aspect of Sakura Wars is always the characters and their interactions.
If you like the characters you're gonna have a good time with the game, because that along with the godly music of Kouhei Tanak is the highlight of this game

You can create strong bonds with all the characters if you want but nearly at the end you have to make a choice
with which you want to end up with.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. The girl you choose to max out affinity and choose, do you get special dialogue and more scenes after you max and choose? A lot of games just stop as soon max affinity or commit to said person.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, I should've been more specific. The girl you choose to max out affinity and choose, do you get special dialogue and more scenes after you max and choose? A lot of games just stop as soon max affinity or commit to said person.
You get some different dialogue and a few scene here and there depening on your affinity in general not just by maxing it out, but until you reach the end of the game they are really subtle.
Also there is an extra date event that is unique for each girl and you can only do one in each playthough.

When you reach the end and the girl you end up with is locked then the changes are more significant and there are of course different endings with each girl
which are unique and it's one the series trademarks, all of them are really memorable endings.
I don't want to get into details for spoiler reasons again.

Just keep in mind that the story of course is always the same, it doesn't change.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'm kind of curious about this game. Star Ocean Anamnesis has been doing another Sakura Wars collaboration (they did one for the older games a while back but now they're doing one for the new game) so I've been seeing these Sakura Wars characters every day. That main theme song is incredibly catchy too.

I'm not really sure if this game is for me, but I think I might give it a shot anyways.

Oct 27, 2017
You get some different dialogue and a few scene here and there depening on your affinity in general not just by maxing it out, but until you reach the end of the game they are really subtle.
Also there is an extra date event that is unique for each girl and you can only do one in each playthough.

When you reach the end and the girl you end up with is locked then the changes are more significant and there are of course different endings with each girl
which are unique and it's one the series trademarks, all of them are really memorable endings.
I don't want to get into details for spoiler reasons again.

Just keep in mind that the story of course is always the same, it doesn't change.
Thanks

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody find it weird that there's no digital preorder on PSN? After beating FF7R I'm now thinking of buying this game. I'm expecting many 7's but I think this game is right up my alley

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Anybody find it weird that there's no digital preorder on PSN? After beating FF7R I'm now thinking of buying this game. I'm expecting many 7's but I think this game is right up my alley

It is very odd, especially since we're in the midst of this pandemic and consumers will be reliant on digital versions of games more than ever. I don't know if this is on Sony or Sega, but it's a shame the game's release isn't being treated more seriously.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
It is very odd, especially since we're in the midst of this pandemic and consumers will be reliant on digital versions of games more than ever. I don't know if this is on Sony or Sega, but it's a shame the game's release isn't being treated more seriously.

I think one of the reasons is that if the game gets delayed Sony needs to pull it out of the PS Store and refund all of the people that preordered it, which I think would be catastrophic for the game's digital sales.
That's the store's policy and they did the same thing with the Last of Us part II.
But yeah the closer we get to the release the weirder it gets...
I'll try to ask the PR for more info and let you know, but I doubt I'm gonna learn something useful

How long is the game? I'm also considering picking it up once I finish FFVIIR
Personally it took me 30 hours but I think I'm the exception and not the rule.
I think for most people it would take around 20-25 hours if you do all of the sub-events, which you really should, it's the meat of the game.
But if you rush through the main story it can be quite less, there were people in Japan who finished it in like 10 hours.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask again- how long is the first game? I'm busy doing FF7->maybe Dirge of Cerberus->Crisis Core->FF7R and then I'm probably already behind on playing Xenoblade by then, but I do want to pick this up too and since I am doing something ridiculous like that for FF7, might as well do Sakura Taisen 1 -> this when I have some time too.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I'll ask again- how long is the first game? I'm busy doing FF7->maybe Dirge of Cerberus->Crisis Core->FF7R and then I'm probably already behind on playing Xenoblade by then, but I do want to pick this up too and since I am doing something ridiculous like that for FF7, might as well do Sakura Taisen 1 -> this when I have some time too.
The first game is around 25-30 hours

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
The release is almost here! I am buying this day one. My only exposure to the series was through the Wii game, which I like a lot so this is a no brainer for me. It is also my understanding that some of the Valkyria guys worked on this, so gotta support them as well!

The only question is do I play this or P5: Royal? It has been waiting on my PS4 since I was getting done with the FF7R. Aah!

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The release is almost here! I am buying this day one. My only exposure to the series was through the Wii game, which I like a lot so this is a no brainer for me. It is also my understanding that some of the Valkyria guys worked on this, so gotta support them as well!

The only question is do I play this or P5: Royal? It has been waiting on my PS4 since I was getting done with the FF7R. Aah!
Heres the real question, are you working from home or work atm? if so, play this, if you're not working due to corona play persona as you wont get free time like this for a 80+hour rpg.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, Im liking what Im seeing from the trailers but I have to ask, how much creepy-anime stuff is in here?

Anything with underage kids is gonna be a hard no, same with sexual harassment played off as a gag.