• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
English/French/German/Spanish language.

49527340441_3a4022f5cf_k.jpg

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Logo isn't as cool as the original Japanese version but I'll get over it.

Slots in nicely between FF7 Remake and The Last of Us II!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!

Although I kinda fear I won't be done with the Final Fantasy VII remake before it comes out. Either way: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!

Super pumped for it. Recently I played through the fan translation of the original game awaiting the English release date announcement for the new game. It's a great series and I hope it can find its success in the west finally.

Nice tidbit from the blog post:

"Localization for the Western release of Sakura Wars was similar to another one of our popular titles, Yakuza 0," Andrew Davis shares. "The game was first translated by our long-standing friends at Inbound Games (who've been working with us for many years) and passed to our internal team for a second pass. We focused on ensuring the dialogue flowed naturally while capturing the quirks of each character's personality, just as we do with any project. For instance, Hatsuho's speech is brash and confident, while Azami's is terse and steely.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was fearing this arrive until summer lol I think I will have enough time to finish RE3 and play Shin Sakura Wars.

Oct 27, 2017
After we were done, we reached out to another outside partner (Keywords Studios) to handle the localization into French, German, and Spanish. Just like with our English translation, these teams were committed to crafting faithfully entertaining scripts in their respective languages.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, sooner than expected. And I should be done with FFVII Remake and P5 Royal by then, hopefully

Dunno if I should play the fan-translation of the Saturn game first, though. I know they're not really connected story-and-gameplay wise but it could be fun for context.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
First off, we have our protagonist – the main character of our story, Seijuro Kamiyama. Formerly a captain of an auxiliary ship in the navy, he was reassigned to the Imperial Combat Revue to oversee the reformation of the Flower Division.

Oh boo. Hopefully he's better than, say, TMS' protag.

OP
OP
Guymelef

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"After we were done, we reached out to another outside partner (Keywords Studios) to handle the localization into French, German, and Spanish. Just like with our English translation, these teams were committed to crafting faithfully entertaining scripts in their respective languages."

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the game good? I'm a little worried because the sales tanked in Japan

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Ok so the release is very close to early May so I think it's good
3 weeks after FFVII I think will have plenty of time to check this one too.

Dibs on the OT btw

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Just a reversible cover and stickers? I don't think they have much expectations with a release in two months.

Zack

Jan 25, 2019
California
Can't wait for folks to check this game out! I had so much fun putting that blog post together for Sakura Wars, and I am dedicated to helping this game and the series succeed in the west.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Wow, sooner than expected. And I should be done with FFVII Remake and P5 Royal by then, hopefully

Dunno if I should play the fan-translation of the Saturn game first, though. I know they're not really connected story-and-gameplay wise but it could be fun for context.

I'd say it certainly helps; a couple of characters from the 1st game are referenced for sure.

Is the game good? I'm a little worried because the sales tanked in Japan

It sold about as much as V did, which was the last proper Sakura Wars game released in Japan. The series sales dwindled when it left Sega hardware.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Ten days to finish royal, and now 18 days to finish ff7 before this comes out. PS4 getting a lot of use in April.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the first impression doesn't look super good, you have to really like Visual Novel to enjoy that one (other were VN too but good SRPG too), everything else is not really good... Not sure if i'll pick up but at same time i want to encourage Sega to take risk like these.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad the first impression doesn't look super good, you have to really like Visual Novel to enjoy that one (other were VN too but good SRPG too), everything else is not really good... Not sure if i'll pick up but at same time i want to encourage Sega to take risk like these.

The others were absolutely not good SRPG's. The SRPG gameplay was solid at best.

Gene

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's intentional that the next game by the writer of 428 is releasing on 4/28
probably not

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I mean if you're not a fan of visual novels, you won't like the series anyway.

Also yes! A lot sooner than I expected.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Day 1! Excited to finally play a Sakura Taisen title.

Someday I may even go back and get So Long My Love for the Wii. Speaking of which, it will be over a decade since that game released in America. Phew!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So what is this game like? Aside from apparently being a mecha action RPG. Like a 3D visual novel, essentially? Can I expect a serious war story? Because the style of it screams "wish fulfillment harem VN where most of the time is spent romancing various female cast members".

I can certainly tolerate and even enjoy that sort of stuff in moderation - Persona social links are great - but the main thrust of the story parts has to be something.. different.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey another RPG I want coming out in April.

I want to support this game but I'm going to be freaking packed between Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they would have dubbed this. I'm in the minority on this probably, but I would have bought it day one if it was dubbed. Going to wait for a sale because of this, because I just can't pay full price for games that don't have the localization quality I'm looking for.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I mentioned this man times already but this game is a 3D VN/Adventure game that has a few hack&slash action segments
So this NOT an action game and it's not an RPG.
As someone who finished the game and loved it I have to say that ti's not worth buying the game if you're just looking for a hack&slash action game.
Not only the action part is mediocre at best but it's really small too, like 2.5 hours in total small.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
March and April are stacked for me which is nice because the first 2 months has been pretty much nothing new

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Series veteran here. Already completed the game last month. Some points to note for new players:

- treat it as a visual novel with great production value rather than an action game. Action session is mediocre at best while the adventure part is absolutely amazing with great characterizations and animations
- character and robots 3D renders are fantastic
- characters move a lot while talking which may annoy some people. It is intentional (imo) because it tries to recreate the feeling of Japanese opera
- dialogue options are not limited to three: you can choose to not choose any option at all and just wait for time out. Sometimes this is the right thing to do.
- think about the intention and personality of each character when choosing dialogues: some of the "righteous" option may not give you the highest affinity
- chapter 1 is the worst chapter. Many unvoiced sequences and rather weird main story. The game becomes much better afterwards
- story of Sakura Wars always focuses on positivity / love / justice. Many often logic does not apply and explanations are not given
- even as a series veteran, I find some sequences pretty creepy. But they are totally optional
- I cried for a few times during certain chapter, which is something no other game has achieved. If you have played Sakura Taisen 2, you will know what I mean when you get to it
- Claris is the best

I personally would rate it a 9.5/10, but I think you should expect a 7/10 game, objectively speaking. I urge you to try it though because you can find no other game like Sakura Wars. It is a truly unique franchise.

Last but not least, the anime airing in April (in Japan) is a CONTINUATION of the story. I highly suspect it would be a lead-up to the sequel. Remember to avoid spoiler if you plan to play this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Series veteran here. Already completed the game last month. Some points to note for new players:

- treat it as a visual novel with great production value rather than an action game. Action session is mediocre at best while the adventure part is absolutely amazing with great characterizations and animations
- character and robots 3D renders are fantastic
- characters move a lot while talking which may annoy some people. It is intentional (imo) because it tries to recreate the feeling of Japanese opera
- dialogue options are not limited to three: you can choose to not choose any option at all and just wait for time out. Sometimes this is the right thing to do.
- think about the intention and personality of each character when choosing dialogues: some of the "righteous" option may not give you the highest affinity
- chapter 1 is the worst chapter. Many unvoiced sequences and rather weird main story. The game becomes much better afterwards
- story of Sakura Wars always focuses on positivity / love / justice. Many often logic does not apply and explanations are not given
- even as a series veteran, I find some sequences pretty creepy. But they are totally optional
- I cried for a few times during certain chapter, which is something no other game has achieved. If you have played Sakura Taisen 2, you will know what I mean when you get to it
- Claris is the best

I personally would rate it a 9.5/10, but I think you should expect a 7/10 game, objectively speaking. I urge you to try it though because you can find no other game like Sakura Wars. It is a truly unique franchise.

Last but not least, the anime airing in April (in Japan) is a CONTINUATION of the story. I highly suspect it would be a lead-up to the sequel. Remember to avoid spoiler if you plan to play this game.

For someone that never played a game in the series, is this a good one to get into/start with? Will I get lost story-wise and everything? If so, what do you suggest I read/watch before playing?