• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
This series always caught my eye so I'm glad it's localized for this version, will be grabbing it for sure.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So what is this game like? Aside from apparently being a mecha action RPG. Like a 3D visual novel, essentially? Can I expect a serious war story? Because the style of it screams "wish fulfillment harem VN where most of the time is spent romancing various female cast members".

I can certainly tolerate and even enjoy that sort of stuff in moderation - Persona social links are great - but the main thrust of the story parts has to be something.. different.

This is not an RPG.It's a 3D visual novel as you said.
Also it's more of a comedy than something really serious, but it has some good dramatic moments.
So the actual plot is kinda cliche but it has great characters, performances,music, atmosphere, dialogue.
There are not a lot of comedy VNs out there, especially with this budget so it's definitely worth it for that alone.

The protagonist Kamiyama is a treasure honestly!

Series veteran here. Already completed the game last month. Some points to note for new players:

- treat it as a visual novel with great production value rather than an action game. Action session is mediocre at best while the adventure part is absolutely amazing with great characterizations and animations
- character and robots 3D renders are fantastic
- characters move a lot while talking which may annoy some people. It is intentional (imo) because it tries to recreate the feeling of Japanese opera
- dialogue options are not limited to three: you can choose to not choose any option at all and just wait for time out. Sometimes this is the right thing to do.
- think about the intention and personality of each character when choosing dialogues: some of the "righteous" option may not give you the highest affinity
- chapter 1 is the worst chapter. Many unvoiced sequences and rather weird main story. The game becomes much better afterwards
- story of Sakura Wars always focuses on positivity / love / justice. Many often logic does not apply and explanations are not given
- even as a series veteran, I find some sequences pretty creepy. But they are totally optional
- I cried for a few times during certain chapter, which is something no other game has achieved. If you have played Sakura Taisen 2, you will know what I mean when you get to it
- Claris is the best

I personally would rate it a 9.5/10, but I think you should expect a 7/10 game, objectively speaking. I urge you to try it though because you can find no other game like Sakura Wars. It is a truly unique franchise.

Last but not least, the anime airing in April (in Japan) is a CONTINUATION of the story. I highly suspect it would be a lead-up to the sequel. Remember to avoid spoiler if you plan to play this game.

Hey, Jim_Cacher's impressions finally xD.
Glad you liked the game too man, I'm one trophy away from platinuming it :P

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
For someone that never played a game in the series, is this a good one to get into/start with? Will I get lost story-wise and everything? If so, what do you suggest I read/watch before playing?
Yes, it is a good entry point (not many choices left anyway). It has references to characters in past titles but they do not act as hindrance to new players. You can jump in without knowing anything but I recommend at least knowing the basic premise of the story. If you are interested in finding more, there are TV anime / movies / OVA to catch up on.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
For someone that never played a game in the series, is this a good one to get into/start with? Will I get lost story-wise and everything? If so, what do you suggest I read/watch before playing?

It's a good place; I would recommend just knowing the premise and the background of two characters from the first game.
Kanzaki Sumire and Shinguji Sakura
which you could probably find on a Wiki.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This is not an RPG.It's a 3D visual novel as you said.
Also it's more of a comedy than something really serious, but it has some good dramatic moments.
So the actual plot is kinda cliche but it has great characters, performances,music, atmosphere, dialogue.
There are not a lot of comedy VNs out there, especially with this budget so it's definitely worth it for that alone.

Got it, thanks. Doesn't sound like it's for me, though I might as well keep an eye on it. Summers tend to be a bit slow wrt game releases and I suppose a more comedy-focused VN could work for those sweet sweet summer evenings.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
No limited edition, just a really lame "day one" edition with some stickers, huh. I really don't want to play on my jet engine base PS4 any more, but I want to support this on launch, a nice limited would tip me over the edge.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Listen to Eien1no1Yami , Kamiyama is hilarious. Such a great protagonist.

Hey, Jim_Cacher's impressions finally xD.
Glad you liked the game too man, I'm one trophy away from platinuming it :P
Well, this thread surely gives me motovation haha. Amazing game and I just can't wait to watch the anime.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
- even as a series veteran, I find some sequences pretty creepy. But they are totally optional

I'm only really curious about the transalted text when the main character gets punched in the face by the red-hair chick and he ragdolls over. I found it pretty funny. If the localization hits as rather funny overall, I may check it out.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
AI Somnium was fully voiced in English. Sega should spend more money to attract more players.

AI don't include french or spanish language tho Both are niche as fuck and Spike and Sega decided to prioritze different stuff, in Sega case they prefer chase the non-English speaker audience in Europe. I don't know how much beloved Sakura Wars in France, but it wouldn't surprise me it sells very well there. Even Spain could be a interesting market for this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is a good entry point (not many choices left anyway). It has references to characters in past titles but they do not act as hindrance to new players. You can jump in without knowing anything but I recommend at least knowing the basic premise of the story. If you are interested in finding more, there are TV anime / movies / OVA to catch up on.
It's a good place; I would recommend just knowing the premise and the background of two characters from the first game.
Kanzaki Sumire and Shinguji Sakura
which you could probably find on a Wiki.
This is best way to get into the series

Thanks for the quick responses!
It's decided, I'll get this =P
(Why April though?!?!?)

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only really curious about the transalted text when the main character gets punched in the face by the red-hair chick and he ragdolls over. I found it pretty funny. If the localization hits as rather funny overall, I may check it out.
Don't know why you quote the creepy note or maybe I have missed a scene with Hatsuho... Anyway, the game is funny overall and I hope the localization can translate it well.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why you quote the creepy note or maybe I have missed a scene with Hatsuho... Anyway, the game is funny overall and I hope the localization can translate it well.

Ah, because it was a "walking in on character in the bath" thing or at least that was the location. I don't know the specifics.

Though I do have another question, can you change mechs for combat or can you only play the main character's?

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that the action is apparently just a small part of the game. It definitely seemed to be more prevalent based on trailers and footage I watched. It looked fun to me.

Not sure if I'm really in the mood for a visual novel. How comparable is it to the daily sim part of Persona?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Really disappointed there is no limited edition. We just get stickers...

Oh well I still look forward to this.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, because it was a "walking in on character in the bath" thing or at least that was the location. I don't know the specifics.

Though I do have another question, can you change mechs for combat or can you only play the main character's?
Ah I see. I have only watched Claris bathroom scene and laughed really hard. But I am a man who treasure loyalty, so I did not watch any other bathroom sequences lol.

I see that your other question is already answered. Hopefully you will enjoy the game if you decide to pick it up.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they should have left the original logo alone since it was already subtitled but i'm a huge weeb what do I know.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah another thing worth mentioning is that even though the game does have some ecchi scenes almost, if not all of them are optional and they still pretty mild compared to other games...

So this is not a Senran Kagura type of game, if you buy it for the fan-service alone, you'll be disappointed :P.

Also even though the game is considered a dating sim and has a male protagonist, most of the cast is female characters that all of them ( and I mean all of them) serve a purpose to the story and are not comic relief characters.
So despite some of the fan-service towards male players, I highly recommend this game to female players too (there is even a little bit fan-service towards them too).I know a couple of them who finished it and loved it too.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The localized title of the game is fucking trolling, I swear.

I thought this was an announcement for a localized version of the original or one of the original's remakes.

Sega gonna SEGA I guess.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Series veteran here. Already completed the game last month. Some points to note for new players:

- treat it as a visual novel with great production value rather than an action game. Action session is mediocre at best while the adventure part is absolutely amazing with great characterizations and animations
- character and robots 3D renders are fantastic
- characters move a lot while talking which may annoy some people. It is intentional (imo) because it tries to recreate the feeling of Japanese opera
- dialogue options are not limited to three: you can choose to not choose any option at all and just wait for time out. Sometimes this is the right thing to do.
- think about the intention and personality of each character when choosing dialogues: some of the "righteous" option may not give you the highest affinity
- chapter 1 is the worst chapter. Many unvoiced sequences and rather weird main story. The game becomes much better afterwards
- story of Sakura Wars always focuses on positivity / love / justice. Many often logic does not apply and explanations are not given
- I cried for a few times during certain chapter, which is something no other game has achieved. If you have played Sakura Taisen 2, you will know what I mean when you get to it
- Claris is the best

I personally would rate it a 9.5/10, but I think you should expect a 7/10 game, objectively speaking. I urge you to try it though because you can find no other game like Sakura Wars. It is a truly unique franchise.

Last but not least, the anime airing in April (in Japan) is a CONTINUATION of the story. I highly suspect it would be a lead-up to the sequel. Remember to avoid spoiler if you plan to play this game.

As someone who really enjoys romantic (sub)plots in video games and anime, how prevalent is the love part of the game? Without spoiling anything, can you affect it at all or is everything set in stone?

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Also even though the game is considered a dating sim and has a male protagonist, most of the cast is female characters that all of them ( and I mean all of them) serve a purpose to the story and are not comic relief characters.
So despite some of the fan-service towards male players, I highly recommend this game to female players too (there is even a little bit fan-service towards them too).I know a couple of them who finished it and loved it too.

Good to know, thank you.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I thought this was an announcement for a localized version of the original or one of the original's remakes.

Sega gonna SEGA I guess.

Reminds me of what they're doing with Yakuza 7 (localised as Yakuza: Like a Dragon) as a kind of 'soft' reboot with a gameplay mix-up (cough)

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sega gonna SEGA I guess.
Yeah, otoh you can play the very well fan translated version of the original done by a member of our site .

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of what they're doing with Yakuza 7 (localised as Yakuza: Like a Dragon) as a kind of 'soft' reboot with a gameplay mix-up (cough)
At least they have the Like a Dragon subtitle to differentiate it. This has nothing.
Yeah, otoh you can play the very well fan translated version of the original done by a member of our site .
Of course, but getting an official localized release is always ideal.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Wii entry a few months ago so I might play that before this comes out but I'm definitely picking this up. Always been interested in this series.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I really wish they would have dubbed this. I'm in the minority on this probably, but I would have bought it day one if it was dubbed. Going to wait for a sale because of this, because I just can't pay full price for games that don't have the localization quality I'm looking for.

This is where I'm at. I won't pay full price for a sub only game. If they're only going to do half a localization, then I'm only willing to pay half price for it.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who really enjoys romantic (sub)plots in video games and anime, how prevalent is the love part of the game? Without spoiling anything, can you affect it at all or is everything set in stone?
You pick dialogue options which will affect affinity of each character. A huge part of the game is pursuing the girls while fighting evil, and you will get to their respective ending at the end. So yeah, it is a major part of the game.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Not a fan of the font at all, but ah well. I second that the story segments are interesting, combat is hot garbage.

If anyone's interested, there's a fan translation of the first game *cough*that I totally wasn't involved in*cough* that you can try out to get a feel for the series.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I played and finished sakura taisen on the saturn and I can't say why this series is so loved.....anyway i'll play this, more jrpgs the better