• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Shanghai Combat Revue: Yukiko Horiguchi
London Combat Revue: BUNBUN
Berlin Combat Revue: Fumikane Shimada
Itsuki Saijou and Hiromi Hongou: Noizi Ito
Hakushu Murasame: Shigenori Soejima
Great Imperial Gekizou: Ken Sugimori

All those artists and they couldn't find a spot for Kousuke Fujishima? WTF?

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

Namco doesn't want anything to do with him lately either with the Tales series. From what I understand it's not his art; it's him. It's a shame, he was my favorite artist for so many years. ;_;

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The trailer is now up on Sega's YouTube channel:

The website has also been updated.

Sakura Wars

Sakura Wars - Take the Stage to Win the War 04.28.2020

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah guys, sorry that we mention this so many times but it's important to note it.
The games do not contain any kind of customization,leveling system, skills, different weapons for each character, money .e.t.c.
The only thing that can indirectly be considered RPG is that by choosing what Kamiyama says, you play your own version him
whether it's the "serious Captain" or the "Douche Captain" :P.
But even then the story is always the same an you choices only affect you relationship with the girls and which one you'll end up with at the end

太正桜に浪漫の嵐!

Still one of the best slogans for any videogame series, period.

Hehe that's the whole spirit of the series.Time flies so fast and you must treasure it and be in love while you are still young and energetic.
It's based around Kurosawa's film Ikiru and this song specifically

Last edited:

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I'll probably pick it up during that summer lull, but releasing the game at the end of April kinda feels like letting it out to die.
Can't wait for those end of the year reports "Sakura Wars fails to perform in western markets"

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

I guess you do not know the news of him being a notorious playboy.

And I think you actually want Hidenori Matsubara rather than him because he was the one who did most of the drawing for past titles. Oh well if you really want him though... OK, because I don't like his designs lately, at all.

Edit: I should go to sleep. Going to continue replying tomorrow.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

And I think you actually want Hidenori Matsubara rather than him because he was the one who did most of the drawing for past titles. Oh well if you really want him though... OK, because I don't like his designs lately, at all.
I wasn't familiar with the drama, but I know he's better at distinct designs than the guy they got. You immediately know when he did the character designs for a game.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I am interested I remember buying "So Long, My Love" on a whim years ago and enjoying it.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

Edit: I should go to sleep. Going to continue replying tomorrow.

I went to his recent art show in Osaka back in November; his work on the series is amazing. XD

imgur.com

Hidenori Matsuraba art show

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Oh, I didn't know it was a name reboot as well. I hope it turns out to be great and the franchise becomes popular in the west like it happened with Fire Emblem.

I still need to play the Wii one beyond the first battle... I wonder if this time they will be spaced more properly?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Not up to preorder anywhere yet. Guess that'll be coming soon, now that we've got a date.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
This is actually coming earlier than I expected, but I guess it's only about a month less than the usual 6-month localization time for Atlus titles. It's not the worst release window, I'll probably be done with FF7 not too long after that.

I think I remember seeing Soejima's character but I must have missed that Sugimori did one. That'll be fun to see.

(Now, to see if Yakuza 7 or Persona 5 S gets announced next...)

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Actually, given that there's no way I can finish FFVII: RE in time I may put this in my backlog until the fall when I get my 4K TV and instead prioritize Sakura Taisen.

Sega and this series can use all the support they can get after all.

Nov 6, 2017
Surprised that the localisation calls クラリス "Claris" when the name on her door is clearly "Clarissa" (or have they changed that)

(also describing it as "high budget" when it obviously had a tiny fraction of the budget of previous games given the overall length and content reuse in the battles)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
What's the combat like in this? I'm reading that it sucks, but am just curious about it... I'm a big fan of the Saturn games (tried and failed miserably to get the first game localized), so this kinda makes me wince, but if the adventure/sim part is good and the combat doesn't take away too much from the experience, I might have to bite.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
What's the combat like in this? I'm reading that it sucks, but am just curious about it... I'm a big fan of the Saturn games (tried and failed miserably to get the first game localized), so this kinda makes me wince, but if the adventure/sim part is good and the combat doesn't take away too much from the experience, I might have to bite.
The first game was fan translated.

The combat is literally musou. The sim part is great, the combat is trash.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
So soon? I'm in, but it's going to be tough managing P5: Royal, FVII Remake, and now the new Sakura Wars since they are all launching within a few weeks of each other.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah guys, sorry that we mention this so many times but it's important to note it.
The games do not contain any kind of customization,leveling system, skills, different weapons for each character, money .e.t.c.
The only thing that can indirectly be considered RPG is that by choosing what Kamiyama says, you play your own version him
But even then the story is always the same an you choices only affect you relationship with the girls and which one you'll end up with at the end

How long would you say the game takes to complete?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

It's a hack&slash action battle system that takes elements from Musou games and has quirks similar to Bayonetta's witch time.
But in the original japanese release there were some problems that made the combat problematic, like the lack of a proper lock-on system.
I'm hoping they release a patch around the release that adds some QoL fixes like this.

So all in all the question is this...Have you played the other games because of the combat?
If yes then this game is definitely not for you.

How long would you say the game takes to complete?

So personally it took me around 30 hours to finish the game but honestly I'm in the minority here because I really took my time with it while playing each chapter.
I tried to interactive with everything in each area and searched a lot for the collectibles.
Now for the average person it will take around 20-25 hours if they do all of the sub-events the game has to offer which and don't start skipping things.
If you start skipping things it will take even less than 20 but skipping dialogue choices, albeit optional, in a VN is not a smart move :P.
I've seen some japanese people finish it in about 10-12 hours by only going from main point to point but you honestly loose much of the experience if you do this.
It's kinda like playing Shenmue and rushing through the story..

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The first game was fan translated.

The combat is literally musou. The sim part is great, the combat is trash.
Right; I played the translated version on my Saturn last month... I was talking back in 1996/1997. :) Looking forward to future versions that add the mouth animations back during spoken cutscenes, etc.

Thanks for letting me know about the combat. Not my cup of tea, but I can stomach it.

It's a hack&slash action battle system that takes elements from Musou games and has quirks similar to Bayonetta's witch time.
But in the original japanese release there were some problems that made the combat problematic, like the lack of a proper lock-on system.
I'm hoping they release a patch around the release that adds some QoL fixes like this.

So all in all the question is this...Have you played the other games because of the combat?
If yes then this game is definitely not for you.
Combat in the old games was fun, but not a highlight. I did enjoy the special attacks and being able to play a strategy game that didn't just kick my butt like most of them do. LOL It was more about the story, characters, setting, and music for me. If that stuff is on-point, I'm in.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
April? After P5 Royal and Trials Of Mana? And not turn-based. Looks like I'm going to skip this.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Y'know normally when someone says "sorry to mention this so often" I expect to see something obvious.

I did not know this. I'm actually significantly less interested in this game now lol. Like, this sounds a bit TOO straightforward to me. It doesn't have ANY of the bolded?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Y'know normally when someone says "sorry to mention this so often" I expect to see something obvious.

I did not know this. I'm actually significantly less interested in this game now lol. Like, this sounds a bit TOO straightforward to me. It doesn't have ANY of the bolded?
For all intents and purposes, it's not an RPG. It's a visual novel with an action element.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
lol you might as well remove the combat entirely then.
Well that's a fair point, I've been saying that a long time now.
Although playing with Mechs for a few hours after reading text can be a nice change of pace.
It's just that the battle part is not polished enough and has some annoying problems that lower
your enjoyment.
For all the bad things it has, there are some good things at least.
Nagoshi's team from the Yakuza series worked on the battle system, so comboing in this game can be fun, also achieving witch time is satisfying too.
Some of the bosses are pretty decently designed, especially the human-sized ones.
I just wish they would add a lock-on system and difficulty settings for the Western release...

Last edited:

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
April? After P5 Royal and Trials Of Mana? And not turn-based. Looks like I'm going to skip this.

There is almost 0 strategy involved in the Sakura Wars games even when they were turn-based. You were going to be disappointed no matter what.

Just like all the morons who keep thinking this is a JRPG series.

Well that's a fair point, I've been saying that a long time now

Please no. There are already too many VNs with giant robots that involve 0 actual gameplay. I like that Sakura Wars at least lets you play the fights even if they're easy as hell.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Weird question, but- how long is the original Saturn game?

I was always interested in the series thanks to V but never actually ended up getting it. Definitely interested in this, but hearing it connects to the original in some way has the "you gotta play it in order..." part of my brain thinking I should play that fan translation (which I didn't know about till now!) first. Wondering if it's short enough that I can get to it before this is out, given how my backlog's already been piling up lately.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There is almost 0 strategy involved in the Sakura Wars games even when they were turn-based. You were going to be disappointed no matter what.

Just like all the morons who keep thinking this is a JRPG series.

You seem hurt lol

Well that's a fair point, I've been saying that a long time now.
Although playing with Mechs for a few hours after reading text can be a nice change of pace.
It's just that the battle part is not polished enough and has some annoying problems that lower
your enjoyment.
For all the bad things it has, there are some good things at least.
Nagoshi's team from the Yakuza series worked on the battle system, so comboing in this game can be fun, also achieving witch time is satisfying too.
Some of the bosses are pretty decently designed, especially the human-sized ones.
I just wish they would add a lock-on system and difficulty settings for the Western release...

At least with the Yakuza series you can change your playstyle over time. Sounds like you can't here. Lots of missed opportunities here if you can't customize the mecha too. So yeah, they might as well have skipped 'em lol. Oh well.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Please no. There are already too many VNs with giant robots that involve 0 actual gameplay. I like that Sakura Wars at least lets you play the fights even if they're easy as hell.
I actually updated my previous post sharing more thoughts about the combat.
Personally I wouldn't mind if they ditched it altogether but even with with this action combat,
after spending around 15-20 hours on battles alone, I think there is a basic concept that can be improved on
and offer a nice little 2-4 hour experience in a sequel

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017

I think that they actually used some left-over Sonic the Werehog gameplay code considering part of Sonic Team was working on this....