• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I think that they actually used some left-over Sonic the Werehog gameplay code considering part of Sonic Team was working on this....
Yeah the Sonic team worked on the gameplay too and you can actually kinda feel it when playing it, because there is a dash-run button and some platforming sections that reminded me a bit of Sonic but again any of these ideas are not well implemented and not fully realized.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
My only knowledge of the Sakura Wars games is through Project X Zone.

I'm gonna pick this up and see what the hype is all about.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
If ever a game deserved a dynamic theme, it's this one. Especially with that art style and that music.
Yeah and the awesome thing about all of the themes are that they play each character's song in the background.
The standard japanese edition came with a free PS4 theme inside actually, so it might be the same case with the Western release too.

Personally I bought a Famitsu magazine to get this beauty right here :P

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
As a long time fan, I can't say I was happy with this game (lots of complaints storywise, much like the Japanese fanbase) but I hope lots of people are interested in the game and pick it up and it becomes big in the West so that I can hope for a proper game with Fujishima designs and Akahori story.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Just like all the morons who keep thinking this is a JRPG series.
Was this necessary? I thought it was based on screens I'd seen of older games before I came in this thread.

No offence but calling people morons for not knowing about the series just makes you come across as a needlessly rude moron yourself.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Was this necessary? I thought it was based on screens I'd seen of older games before I came in this thread.

No offence but calling people morons for not knowing about the series just makes you come across as a needlessly rude moron yourself.

Yeah it was because its a repeating problem. There's nothing wrong with being misinformed but you're a moron when you spreading misinformation that could be fixed with a google search

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
As a long time fan, I can't say I was happy with this game (lots of complaints storywise, much like the Japanese fanbase) but I hope lots of people are interested in the game and pick it up and it becomes big in the West so that I can hope for a proper game with Fujishima designs and Akahori story.

That's a bit unfortunate. Was the game generally not well received in Japan then?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
That's a bit unfortunate. Was the game generally not well received in Japan then?
A portion of the japanese fanbase was disappointed with some of the story elements and is really pissed with Jiro Ishii specifically to the point that they want him fired.

I'm a huge fan too and although I highly disagree with some of the comments I read online from japanese people regarding the story, I can probably understand why they would be.
What I don't understand and I really find disrespectful is making fun of him and abusing him on social media.

Personally I think he did a really good job for a soft reboot to a franchise that was dead for almost 16 years.
Most notable thing is the pacing which is great.Honestly there's almost no filler or padding in the story.
Also this being a Jiro Ishii story means that there's a great balance between comedy, action and drama like in 428:Shibuya, with comedy
being the strongest one imo.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

A friend of mine who didn't like the story specifically said he wanted more of the old cast to come back in some fashion and was very disappointed they didn't. So I guess it'll probably be far less of a problem for most westerners. Granted the story ain't perfect or whatever but I enjoyed it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hehe that's the whole spirit of the series.Time flies so fast and you must treasure it and be in love while you are still young and energetic.
It's based around Kurosawa's film Ikiru and this song specifically

Sorry, wait

Are you saying Sakura Wars takes inspiration from IKIRU?

Geez, I was already interested, but now I am SUPER INTERESTED.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I don't think in can be understated, don't buy this game as an action rpg. It's a VN first and foremost with incredibly mediocre combat. There's a JP demo you can try and see for yourself.

I'll probably buy this, but I might choose the easiest combat difficulty (if that's an option) so I can just get through it faster.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Looking forward to the game!

"Localization for the Western release of Sakura Wars was similar to another one of our popular titles, Yakuza 0," Andrew Davis shares. "The game was first translated by our long-standing friends at Inbound Games (who've been working with us for many years) and passed to our internal team for a second pass. We focused on ensuring the dialogue flowed naturally while capturing the quirks of each character's personality, just as we do with any project. For instance, Hatsuho's speech is brash and confident, while Azami's is terse and steely.

Hope that means that the translation is as close to what is actually said as possible. That "bingo" reply from Sakura in the trailer doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence though.

"After we were done, we reached out to another outside partner (Keywords Studios) to handle the localization into French, German, and Spanish. Just like with our English translation, these teams were committed to crafting faithfully entertaining scripts in their respective languages."
French, german and spanish should still be directly translated from japanese, right? The way this is worded it doesn't sound that clear to me.

- even as a series veteran, I find some sequences pretty creepy. But they are totally optional
Is that stuff that risks being censored/toned down in the western version?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
No, they are not graphical, so they are actually way more tamed than games like Senran Kagura. I just find some of the scenes creepy, but also in some ways, hilarious. So it is kinda guilty pleasure lmao.
Well, yeah, I have played the demo. But you never know.

I went to his recent art show in Osaka back in November; his work on the series is amazing. XD

imgur.com

Hidenori Matsuraba art show

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

That's amazing. So I guess I can more thank him instead of Fujshima for those past OMG and Sakura Wars anime/game designs?

KakesuSora

Mar 8, 2018
Yes, it is a good entry point (not many choices left anyway). It has references to characters in past titles but they do not act as hindrance to new players. You can jump in without knowing anything but I recommend at least knowing the basic premise of the story. If you are interested in finding more, there are TV anime / movies / OVA to catch up on.
Which ones would be the best to watch?

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
That's amazing. So I guess I can more thank him instead of Fujshima for those past OMG and Sakura Wars anime/game designs?

OMG no, that's all Fujishima. Sakura Wars, probably more Matsuraba's doing yes. Fujishima was largely used for promotional purposes.

Which ones would be the best to watch?

I'd say this one if you can find it streaming somewhere. It's only 4 episodes so it won't take up much time and will fill you in on the basics of the characters/world setup.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So I haven't noticed until a few hours ago but it seems that jeuxvideo posted their review of the game (probably based on the japanese version).
They gave it a 6/10.

Sakura Wars, la grande guerre de SEGA s'enlise

Here is the final paragraph translated by google

Sakura Wars is a good return but a bad modernization. The kawaii and humorous aspect is present, the staging of the story is defended, the graphics are splendid but the transition from the tactical RPG to the action game is a failure across the board. You have to see it as an ultra-modern visual novel strewn with bad, action phases that distort the rhythm. A title that also lacks narrative substance to shine on the romantic level, despite its many engaging characters.

The good
  • Nostalgia do you want some here
  • Super pretty
  • Lots of hilarious scenes
  • Very successful characters
  • The card game
The bad
  • A little simplistic narration
  • Very laborious fights
  • Too easy
  • PS4 share partial blocking
  • We would have liked more dubbing

By reading this review maybe except from the fact that the reviewer expected something more RPG-ish with customization, leveling system e.t.c.
I think it's a pretty fair review in terms of what it's good and what it's bad.

Unfortunately if Sega doesn't polish the action part part adding a lock-on and some difficulty settings, most reviewers will not be happy with the battle
part even though it's a reaaaally small part of the experience.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
This will be my first Sakura Wars game in the series! And reading that it features a soundtrack composed by Kohei Tanaka (Resonance of Fate, Gravity Rush, Alundra, Gunbuster, etc) is amazing! Now I'm even more excited to check it out. The question now is when, as this year is going to be very expensive for me, but also fantastic.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So the anime comes out in Japan on April 3 and they just released the OP and ED
No youtube video yet but as soon as it gets uploaded I'll edit my post

OP

ED

I gotta say this OP is incredible and it seems the anime is gonna brand new villains (it is a sequel after all)

The ED on the hand is not what I would expect from a Sakura Wars ED but I still found it interesting and unique!

On another note they also mentioned that they'll be lifting the spoiler restrictions (couldn't use the share function after chapter 4) very soon

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want this game but is worrisome who no one likes the action segments of it

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I really want this game but is worrisome who no one likes the action segments of it
Well I'm a huge fan of the series but I always want to be honest when talking about this game...
If you're gonna buy this game for the action part honestly it's not worth it.
Even if it was good it only lasts 2.5 hours so I really don't know what more can I say about this.
Now if you're worried that even for how small it is, It'll ruin your experience anyway, well...of course I can't speak for everyone
but what I can say is that the action segments are so small and easy that you're still gonna be surprised by it even if you've heard
me saying it so many times already, so I think you're gonna be fine :P.

How many characters are actually playable in this?

For the Adventure part you only control the protagonist Kamiyama Seijuro
but for the action part depending on the stage, you can choose between 2 to 3 characters and Kamiyama will always be one of them regardless.
Now in some stages the game chooses the second character for you beause she is the focus of this chapter.
In some other stages, you as the protagonist choose 2 of the other girls to be with you in battle in a tournament like match.
Whichever the case you always switch between the selected characters during battle on the fly by pressing the L1 button.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm a huge fan of the series but I always want to be honest when talking about this game...
If you're gonna buy this game for the action part honestly it's not worth it.
Even if it was good it only lasts 2.5 hours so I really don't know what more can I say about this.
Now if you're worried that even for how small it is, It'll ruin your experience anyway, well...of course I can't speak for everyone
but what I can say is that the action segments are so small and easy that you're still gonna be surprised by it even if you've heard
me saying it so many times already, so I think you're gonna be fine :P.

For the Adventure part you only control the protagonist Kamiyama Seijuro
but for the action part depending on the stage, you can choose between 2 to 3 characters and Kamiyama will always be one of them regardless.
Now in some stages the game chooses the second character for you beause she is the focus of this chapter.
In some other stages, you as the protagonist choose 2 of the other girls to be with you in battle in a tournament like match.
Whichever the case you always switch between the selected characters during battle on the fly by pressing the L1 button.

I mean if those parts are mot long Im fine with it, I i know that the core of the game is the VN

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega has been smart with relasing the anime and the western release at the same time. I have a hunch the anime is gonna be on crunchyroll

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
CG for mecha fights, sure, for everything else, a big nope. Painful to watch, while thinking about the great game OPs of previous Sakura Taisen games.
I have very low expectations for the anime. But I'll watch it only AFTER playing the game anyways since it's a sequel.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
This will be my first Sakura Wars game in the series! And reading that it features a soundtrack composed by Kohei Tanaka (Resonance of Fate, Gravity Rush, Alundra, Gunbuster, etc) is amazing! Now I'm even more excited to check it out. The question now is when, as this year is going to be very expensive for me, but also fantastic.

Oh woah yeah that is exciting.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Considering how fantastic 428 is, I'm surprised the story is rough.

I didn't think it was bad; I did enjoy it mostly. I think the bigger issue is (conjecture) it feels like a 12-13 chapter/episode story compressed into 8 for time/development reasons. A couple of chapters feel like they were combined a bit ineligibility and while I'm going to avoid direct spoilers I will still use a spoiler tag to say that
There's one major plot point toward the end of the game that is revealed, causes a major decision to be made, only for that decision to be rejected to search for a better way, and then ends.... all in the same scene. Normally that's the sort of thing that would get its own whole chapter/episode but here it's just given a scene.
. Those who have played the game will know what scene I am referring to.

Oct 25, 2017

Same, man I feel like as if I'm new at this game or something, lol.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Ponycanyon uploaded the anime's OP and ED so I edited my previous post and added the youtube version

I agree with King Metal Zel it has more to do with budget rather than the script itself
I think we already discussed this on Discord but cj, you can definitely find some similarities with 428 especially in terms of story pacing and directing.
Of course the plot in 428 is way more interesting compared to the one in SW but personally I think Sakura Wars plots and villains were never that interesting ,maybe with the exception of Sakura Wars 2.I actually think they were on of weakest parts of the franchise and I'm always curious to see how new player will react to them.

So yeah honestly I find the reactions on the internet quite hyperbolic.It's not like the story is perfect far from it but it wasn't perfect in the previous entries too and
Jiro Ishii is a big name and a talented writer, I really don't see why you would want him fired...just point your criticism and stuff you didn't like or it could have been handled better and move on.You can always politely send feedback to him on twitter, he's pretty open about it.

Anyway, in some other news

That's really sad :/....

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I view the game as a build-up to future sequels, therefore, I don't really mind its shortcoming even though I agree it is fairly short and rough at some places.

And tbh, Sakura Wars is never known for epic and amazing story.
So the anime comes out in Japan on April 3 and they just released the OP and ED
No youtube video yet but as soon as it gets uploaded I'll edit my post

OP

ED

I gotta say this OP is incredible and it seems the anime is gonna brand new villains (it is a sequel after all)

The ED on the hand is not what I would expect from a Sakura Wars ED but I still found it interesting and unique!

On another note they also mentioned that they'll be lifting the spoiler restrictions (couldn't use the share function after chapter 4) very soon

My hype has rised to ridiculous level after watching both. God, give this anime to me now.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Do you mean the anime is a sequel to this Sakura Wars game? I'd planned to watch it when it airs, should I be holding off until after completing the game?
Hmmm that's a good a question actually...Yeah the anime is a direct sequel to this game but tbh I haven't seen anything to be considered spoilerific
from these trailers they've published but having said that I of course can't guarantee you that there won't be any kind of spoilers inside.
For example I can already thing a spoiler that is very difficult to avoid to in the anime.I mean...it's like the biggest spoiler ever but it was cool when it happened in the story and it's better to witness it yourself in the game.

The anime is really close to the release anyway so maybe it's just better to wait a few weeks to play the game first and the n jump into the anime
You'd have missed what..4-5 episodes?It's no big deal imo.

My hype has rised to ridiculous level after watching both. God, give this anime to me now.

Heh, glad you liked it man. I'm hyped for the anime too mainly because it's a sequel and we got brand new villains and characters that all seem pretty cool
and interesting.

Also

koumaayame.jpg

koumaclara.jpg

Hehe have you noticed that :P?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Since the anime is set after the game, I will just wait watching it before I beat the game. No biggie. Loved the Sakura Wars I played so far, so I'm very much looking forward to the new one.

Nov 6, 2017

I've been saying this since Jiro Ishii was announced, but: the credited writer on 428 (and the semi-sequel Time Travellers), Yukinori Kitajima, didn't write Shin Sakura Taisen. Before this, Jiro Ishii was only credited as writer (vs "director" or "producer") on a couple of poorly received mobile games. For some reason - I guess because 428 was critically acclaimed long before it was available in translation - western fans seem to misunderstand his role on the games he's famous for.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I've been saying this since Jiro Ishii was announced, but: the credited writer on 428 (and the semi-sequel Time Travellers), Yukinori Kitajima, didn't write Shin Sakura Taisen. Before this, Jiro Ishii was only credited as writer (vs "director" or "producer") on a couple of poorly received mobile games. For some reason - I guess because 428 was critically acclaimed long before it was available in translation - western fans seem to misunderstand his role on the games he's famous for.
Well if we're going that route which is not exactly correct then Jiro Ishii didn't write SST either and was rather the one responsible for the Story Structure
and the actual writer is Takaaki Suzuki.

Nov 6, 2017
Well if we're going that route which is not exactly correct then Jiro Ishii didn't write SST either and was rather the one responsible for the Story Structure
and the actual writer is Takaaki Suzuki.

He's actually credited under "Scenario" though, which is more than, say, Hiroi Ohji was with the original games. Also, my issues with the game are at teh fundamental "story structure" level (i.e. the way it's written as if it was for an action game with a single critical path heavily focused on Sakura Amamiya and precious little about the other characters rather than as a gal game with some action bits bolted on. The male protaganist having so many more lines than any female heroine shows this off pretty well, I think)
And my fundamental point still stands, the "writer of 428" didn't work on this game.

The budget stuff really needs to be highlighted though. I refuse to believe that Sega spent any real money on the game, the complete lack of content vs just about any other game in the series is painful. I can only hope that this means that the sales will be enough to get another game where they course correct (including decent treatment of the original games cast)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
He's actually credited under "Scenario" though, which is more than, say, Hiroi Ohji was with the original games. Also, my issues with the game are at teh fundamental "story structure" level (i.e. the way it's written as if it was for an action game with a single critical path heavily focused on Sakura Amamiya and precious little about the other characters rather than as a gal game with some action bits bolted on. The male protaganist having so many more lines than any female heroine shows this off pretty well, I think)
And my fundamental point still stands, the "writer of 428" didn't work on this game.

The budget stuff really needs to be highlighted though. I refuse to believe that Sega spent any real money on the game, the complete lack of content vs just about any other game in the series is painful. I can only hope that this means that the sales will be enough to get another game where they course correct (including decent treatment of the original games cast)
No, actually Oji Hiroi is credited as a writer too, not just director.Now of course I can't compare the 2 of them (Hiroi and Ishii) because I don't know
how much involved each one was on the writing.
As for the story structure I can of course respect your opinion but to me the structure of the story was the same as the previous games to the point where it might feel a little bit too safe sometimes.
The real differences are that 1) they've thrown some sports anime stuff inside to attract newer fans, which it didn't bother me tbh, I like tournament arcs in anime
so it felt ok to me.
And 2)the budget indeed was small, I agree on that, so the game's story was smaller compared to some of the previous games but not by a lot and honestly
you can say the same thing about other Sega franchises, especially the ones that struggle sales-wise.
Sega is not the giant that once was that could spend millions of dollars in games like Shenmue.
Could the game have a bigger budget?Well..yes of course and I would welcome that with open arms but the game didn't sell well
and I don't think that more budget would have helped in that department, which means a sequel would have been even more difficult than it is now.

I hope in the sequel, if we ever get one, Sega listens to the feedback and improves some of this game's mishaps (better combat, more voiced lines, more places to exlore, more minigames) but if one of them is to ditch Jiro Ishhi I just don't agree...that's it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided I'll get this for sure. Gotta support niche properties. Only played So Long My Love so I'm curious how this will turn out for me.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

New trailer released by Sega + a PS blog post detailing the pre-order bonuses

Physical:
49646223887_bc32602e05_h.jpg

Normal Digital:
Imperial Combat Revue PS4 Dynamic Theme + Neko Ears Add-on Bundle

Digital Deluxe:
49645940571_8443ec59a6_h.jpg