• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
kM41gP2.jpg

Sakura Wars for the Sega Saturn is now available for the first time ever to be played in English! Link to patch provided below.

History
Originally released in 1996, Sakura Wars has remained one of Sega's most popular and beloved games that never made it over to Western shores. It was a hit in Japan when it was released and went on to garner five more sequels, the most recent of which came out on December 12th 2019.

Story Summary
"Set in a fictionalized version of the Taishō period, the game follows the exploits of the Imperial Combat Revue, a military unit dedicated to fighting supernatural threats against Tokyo while maintaining their cover as a theater troupe. Imperial Japanese Navy Ensign Ichiro Ogami is assigned as leader of its all-female Flower Division, a group of women with magical abilities which defends Tokyo against demon attacks using steam-powered armor called Koubu. He becomes embroiled in both the group's latest conflict with the Hive of Darkness and the personal lives of its members. " ~ From Wikipedia

Trailers
English Patch Launch Trailer:

Sega Saturn Shiro!'s video covering the game and the patch:

Screenshots:

BWk6ogim.png
q7PCqoHm.png

S1anhpqm.png
x9hOflnm.png

zgSsjuXm.png
8E1ar2Am.png

aHIx6kfm.png
sXVPxPwm.png

LeEE8Bqm.png
4oDgAl4m.png

cYWp6Dwm.png
HTlsLP5m.png

csucfEtm.png
etCIveXm.png

cfelaIbm.png
0wESKcfm.png

Patch
The patch can be downloaded at here.

As with any patch, you will need an original copy of the game which you can then rip and patch. The game has been tested using both the Mednafen emulator as well as on actual Saturn hardware. Patching instructions are provided in the patch zip file within the readme.

This is list of everything has been translated&patched in the game. It's basically the entire game save the end credits.

Patch History
Sakura Wars has had a long history of attempted patches. There were at least two previous attempts based on the Russian PC version of the game.

The Saturn version started off as a new attempt to patch this game, this time on the Sega Saturn itself. I announced this on Twitter on May 10[SUP]th[/SUP] 2018. About eight months in, the main story text was almost half way done. Other technical hurdles such as image patching, battle dialog, battle menus, and some system menus were also partly done.

Although there was still a ton of text still remaining to be translated, it was coming along really well mostly due to the work of MatatabiMitsu and CrouchingMouse. Then about eight months into the project, it got another another boost of energy when cj_iwakura reached out to me. As it happened, he along with his team had been working on translating the PC version for some time. At this point we decided to share each others work which gave us access to his translators Nezumi and Schlomo. Those two, combined with translators from the Saturn team blazed through the rest of the untranslated text over the next several months.

Later, the team grew larger as trekkiesunite118, BowlOfLentils, and Joqu joined in. TrekkiesUnite118 was able to pull of an amazing feat of actually adding subtitles to all of the movies and taking on other hacking tasks which to this point had seemed out of reach. This included two of the minigames which were originally going to be left in Japanese (Maria's and Kanna's minigames), and helped me figure out how to patch the load screens and the intro logos. The final version of the minigames and the intro-logo are mostly the work of trekkiesunite118. BowlOfLentils, cj_iwakura, and several others on the team went through the whole game during the testing phase with a fine-tooth comb editing lines of text and point out bugs. Joqu created translated versions of the load screens, title screens, and other images that none of us other had the artistic skill or talent to do. At the end of it all, I believe this is almost a professional level product when it comes to the polish and the sheer amount of data that was modified. Thank you to everyone involved and I hope you all enjoy the game!

Project Website:

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura Taisen 1-4 are a big part of my HS days, I'm thrilled to see the first game finally getting a translation.

Hopefully a lot a people give it a try!

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought this would actually happen, thank you all

Like seriously I'd buy yall a drink or something

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
OMG! Today is a good day. Thank you so much to all the people who worked on this. I won't be able to play it immediately, but I can't wait to finally play the original Sakura Wars later this month!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I have been waiting a long, long time for this day to arrive. Many thanks to the fan translation team for making it happen.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
How do you have the Saturn hooked up?

Also, that's some vaporwave art cover material on the right there. (The head bust)
Haha, normally the head is for my psvr. But right now its packed away.

Living in PAL country, i hooked up the sega saturn over scart rgb into a 90s bang & olufsen tv. Of course its no sony pvm, but if you want a big picture it cant get any better than this!

Major major props to the folks who put this together :) What an outstanding achievement to get a translation on this scale finished. Can't wait to try it!

The translucent Japanese Saturn pad is gorgeous <3
Thanks, but thats just a retro bit one, love the long cables:
s-l300.png

Last edited:

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Just played to the first save point and its just amazing! All the extra miles you went for making this so polished. You girls and guys are doing gods work. Even thinking about that it maybe would have been easier doing it on pc or dreamcast, no you made it happen on the sega saturn. Have to go to bead right now, but i am so pumped up about this, wont be getting much sleep tonight. Its like getting a new sega saturn game in 2019!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit that's truly fantastic, thank you for the amazing work to everyone that's part of the team! My copy is already there to try it as soon I get home.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic work, I've been looking out for this for a few years now and it's nice to see it come to completion. It's kinda strange that this makes half of the main series available in English now whenever Shin comes out in the West.

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
Very cool stuff. Any chance this'll be adapted for the Dreamcast release eventually or are the technical hurdles too high?

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
There's also a Discord server where you can discuss the game here alongside the subreddit here if anybody's interested! :)

I'm excited for this English patch, though! :D

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
A big thank you to the whole team on this one. I have nothing but respect for those who give up their own time to provide translations for games such as this.

I doubt I'll have time before Xmas, but this game will give me a chance to really stretch the legs of my very recently purchased Saturn RAD2x HDMI line doubler. A excellent device I can wholeheartedly recommend.

OP
OP
RiZ IV

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool stuff. Any chance this'll be adapted for the Dreamcast release eventually or are the technical hurdles too high?
I certainly won't be tackling that. It wouldn't be a simple conversion as the data formats and pointers would be all different. Someone would have to figure out a good part of all of the technical parts of this from scratch. But at least all of the translated text would exist :)

Thank you everyone for showing support for this!

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I got the first and second SW here, so I might give it a try now. I bought them both really cheap after liking SW5 (the only one localized so far).

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Does the Saturn Collection (SataKore) reprint work for the purposes of this patch? It's cheaper than the first print run copies.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Why haven't Sega localized these yet again?
I mean, Fire Emblem shows how much people want strategy games with dating elements.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Is anyone else having an issue where the lip-flaps aren't working? The character's expressions are changing properly, their eyes blink and everything, but the mouth flaps aren't happening. It's not the end of the world, it's just weird.

EDIT: Okay going further the lip flaps work on the non-spoken dialogue, but they remain tight lipped during spoken dialogue for some bizzare reason?

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Is anyone else having an issue where the lip-flaps aren't working? The character's expressions are changing properly, their eyes blink and everything, but the mouth flaps aren't happening. It's not the end of the world, it's just weird.

EDIT: Okay going further the lip flaps work on the non-spoken dialogue, but they remain tight lipped during spoken dialogue for some bizzare reason?
It's a known issue, to be fixed in a future patch.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, I have a copy of the game and both PAL and JP Saturns, both unmodded. Time to figure out if there's a way to play a patched copy on one of my consoles!

Valkyria

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you everyone involved. It's been years but finally it's finished.
I can't wait to play it on Saturn.
Thanks.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
Congrats! I completely missed this though until tonight...downloading patch now, thank you for the hard work!!!!

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit of this last night, the games tone sort of reminds me of the Phoenix Wright games.

I've been enjoying it so far.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll be playing this during New Year no doubt when I have more free time as I'm currently snowed under with my current batch of games. Thanks and congrats to the team for completing this!

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Very cool. Anyone know how the original Saturn version compares to the Dreamcast version and PSP version?

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Very cool. Anyone know how the original Saturn version compares to the Dreamcast version and PSP version?
The HG101 article should cover this.

So I arrived at episode 7 tonight. Its great so far, especially playing on the og saturn. Didn't run into any troubles besides the already known lipsync and frames problems. Only strange thing happening was getting an electric shock! from my retro bit sega saturn pad. Happened twice after saving the game and getting up to turn of the console. The saturn also rebooted after the shock and no, i didn't pull any cables while doing that. Very strange, but it has nothing to do with the translation of course.

Besides i already read through the sakura wars translation forum which had some interesting tidbits. Are there any more storys about the translation or about hacking the game from the team? I would be especially be interested in how you managed to put the subtitles onto the video! Looks like they are "baked" into the videos or are they just an overlay?

Last edited: