• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The HG101 article should cover this.

So I arrived at episode 7 tonight. Its great so far, especially playing on the og saturn. Didn't run into any troubles besides the already known lipsync and frames problems. Only strange thing happening was getting an electric shock! from my retro bit sega saturn pad. Happened twice after saving the game and getting up to turn of the console. The saturn also rebooted after the shock and no, i didn't pull any cables while doing that. Very strange, but it has nothing to do with the translation of course.

Besides i already read through the sakura wars translation forum which had some interesting tidbits. Are there any more storys about the translation or about hacking the game from the team? Would be especially be interested in how you managed to put the subtitles onto the video! Looks like they are "backed" into the videos or are they just an overlay?
Trekkies would know more about that, but I'm glad pushed to do it. Originally I had a translation guide for them, but it wouldn't have been the same.

Most of the changes that went into removing honorifics were my doing, so we had some fun discussing that(I loathe using them in localization).

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Trekkies would know more about that, but I'm glad pushed to do it. Originally I had a translation guide for them, but it wouldn't have been the same.

Most of the changes that went into removing honorifics were my doing, so we had some fun discussing that(I loathe using them in localization).
Already heard about you pushing for no honorifics. Good job, i am also not a fan of them.

Oct 31, 2017
I finally got the game, just in time for Christmas ! :P

At the end of it all, I believe this is almost a professional level product when it comes to the polish and the sheer amount of data that was modified. Thank you to everyone involved and I hope you all enjoy the game!

Looking at the timeline, I'm pretty impressed by how fast you all made this English patch.

I'm with you on that one. Games like Persona 3 are fucking terrible with this shit ! :D

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I finally got the game, just in time for Christmas ! :P

Looking at the timeline, I'm pretty impressed by how fast you all made this English patch.

I'm with you on that one. Games like Persona 3 are fucking terrible with this shit ! :D
What bugs me with Atlus is they're inconsistent. You can't use them in P3 then not in SMT IV or Soul Hackers because "P3 is about immersing yourself in school life" or some nonsense. Go all in or not at all. (I'm sure glad they shied away from it in the other games, though.)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my Saturn version and played through the darn thing back in '96 barely understanding any Japanese. I loved it that much. Can't wait to try this!!

OP
OP
RiZ IV

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017

So I arrived at episode 7 tonight. Its great so far, especially playing on the og saturn. Didn't run into any troubles besides the already known lipsync and frames problems. Only strange thing happening was getting an electric shock! from my retro bit sega saturn pad. Happened twice after saving the game and getting up to turn of the console. The saturn also rebooted after the shock and no, i didn't pull any cables while doing that. Very strange, but it has nothing to do with the translation of course.

Besides i already read through the sakura wars translation forum which had some interesting tidbits. Are there any more storys about the translation or about hacking the game from the team? I would be especially be interested in how you managed to put the subtitles onto the video! Looks like they are "baked" into the videos or are they just an overlay?

A couple of us will be on the Sega Saturn Shiro podcast later in January where we'll talk about the project.

I've documented a little bit of what went into hacking and patching this game which you can find in the link below. You can also find some of the early discussions that happened amongst the translators discussing honorifics, style, etc.. Eventually we had moved over to discord but I plan to write up document for all the tech stuff in the following weeks. If anyone in the community wants, they can take all this work and port it to a different platform or even create a patch for a different language.

The movie subtitle work was done by trekkiesunite118 (who's also working on the Saturn Grandia patch). He took the movies from the pc version, which were at double the resolution of the Saturn game and also not compressed to hell like the Saturn ones, and added subtitles to those, he then converted them back to the Saturn cpk format using some tools that only ran on a Mac running a really old OS from the 90s.

All of the movies were packed into one large file in the game, so the trick was that the new file sizes couldn't be larger than the original files or else a bunch of other work would have to be done to find and fix headers indicating the location of each movie. In the end they look great. He did a fantastic job.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
The movie subtitle work was done by trekkiesunite118 (who's also working on the Saturn Grandia patch). He took the movies from the pc version, which were at double the resolution of the Saturn game and also not compressed to hell like the Saturn ones, and added subtitles to those, he then converted them back to the Saturn cpk format using some tools that only ran on a Mac running a really old OS from the 90s.

I said wow. This is amazing ! :D

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
A couple of us will be on the Sega Saturn Shiro podcast later in January where we'll talk about the project.

I've documented a little bit of what went into hacking and patching this game which you can find in the link below. You can also find some of the early discussions that happened amongst the translators discussing honorifics, style, etc.. Eventually we had moved over to discord but I plan to write up document for all the tech stuff in the following weeks. If anyone in the community wants, they can take all this work and port it to a different platform or even create a patch for a different language.

All of the movies were packed into one large file in the game, so the trick was that the new file sizes couldn't be larger than the original files or else a bunch of other work would have to be done to find and fix headers indicating the location of each movie. In the end they look great. He did a fantastic job.

Crazy you went through all these hoops. Strange that there isn't some rendering nowadays which can pack cinepak files. But thanks, it definitely paid off. If there are any more stories, please keep em coming!

Mhm maybe i am gonna translate it to german, would be an interesting project. But sakura wars is so niche, not sure if there is really a demand. Most of the german speaking fans probably understand english anyway.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
So i finished Sakura Wars on an og sega saturn without any problems. There are some parts (i think two) where the sentences were a little unclear or mixed up. I think there were in chapter 9 and 10.

But yeah again, thanks everybody for bringing us that translation. Hyped for sakura wars in 2020!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
So i finished Sakura Wars on an og sega saturn without any problems. There are some parts (i think two) where the sentences were a little unclear or mixed up. I think there were in chapter 9 and 10.

But yeah again, thanks everybody for bringing us that translation. Hyped for sakura wars in 2020!
Feel free to point them out, we're still making fixes.

Besides i already read through the sakura wars translation forum which had some interesting tidbits. Are there any more storys about the translation or about hacking the game from the team? I would be especially be interested in how you managed to put the subtitles onto the video! Looks like they are "baked" into the videos or are they just an overlay?
Also, from Trekkies:

3rdman

May 25, 2018
I've never played this game until now and I'm really enjoying it...I totally get why its beloved!

Thus far the game has crashed on me twice...both times was during a battle session. The second time this happened, I thought it best to try to actually figure out the problem and basically it happened everytime I tried using Ogami's special attack. This was during the battle with that weird guy with a swastika on his forehead (whatever his name was...).

I did not think to figure things out the first time it happened so I'm sorry I can't help more.

No other issues thus far though and I am starting episode 7. I really appreciate the effort and again, I thank you! Happy holidays!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I've never played this game until now and I'm really enjoying it...I totally get why its beloved!

Thus far the game has crashed on me twice...both times was during a battle session. The second time this happened, I thought it best to try to actually figure out the problem and basically it happened everytime I tried using Ogami's special attack. This was during the battle with that weird guy with a swastika on his forehead (whatever his name was...).

I did not think to figure things out the first time it happened so I'm sorry I can't help more.

No other issues thus far though and I am starting episode 7. I really appreciate the effort and again, I thank you! Happy holidays!
What emulator are you using?

And you mean Argent Rasetsu, I think.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, has anyone tested this on the Yaba Sanshiro emulator for android? If its good enough i'll end up buying the game on ebay (prices are low, which i assume will rise soon enough if sellers are smart enough)

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
10x...its the slowest speed my burner will do. All the same, I'm at episode 9 and have had no issue since. Really enjoying it.
As far as my experience goes for burned discs on og hardware, be it ps1 or sega saturn -> that's definitely too high. Best thing of course would be 1x, which would only be possible with a 90s cd burner. There are still some cd bunners (ca. 2003-2009) available which have "modern" cables to connect to your pc, which will probably go down to 4x, which is much better than 10x.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
Yep, I know but its what I got. By the way, I just beat it...I enjoyed it far more than I expected to! My thanks to the translation team as I never would experienced it without their hard work. Thank you and...Victory pose!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This is insane. Finally had a chance to rip, patch, and play this tonight. While it does somewhat stink that the character mouths don't move for voiced lines, just the fact that everything is in English and done so well more than makes up for that. I honestly have just been sitting here with a huge smile on my face playing this for the past hour or two. Can I vote for this as one of my GOTYs? LOL I'm playing in Mednafen, but I might burn these to discs so I can play on original hardware, just for the authentic feel. Amazing, and hats off to anyone who contributed to making this a reality!

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
As far as my experience goes for burned discs on og hardware, be it ps1 or sega saturn -> that's definitely too high. Best thing of course would be 1x, which would only be possible with a 90s cd burner. There are still some cd bunners (ca. 2003-2009) available which have "modern" cables to connect to your pc, which will probably go down to 4x, which is much better than 10x.
You forget one thing: even if you have an old burner there is still the issue of finding cd's that allow low burning speeds, as most of the cd's you can buy nowadays only go as low as 8x speed.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I burned mine at 16x (slowest mine goes), and so far -- I'm through two episodes -- I haven't had any issues. Fingers crossed, of course.

I forgot this has episode previews, just like anime TV shows. So good!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I finally started playing it on New Year's Eve and it's so beautiful. The whole fansub group did such a phenomenal job, I really can't thank you enough. I didn't get the chance to play far (just until after the first battle) but I can't wait to play more. The game's amazing and I'm so happy to finally play the original.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I've completed the first three episodes via mednafen and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks so much to all involved for your hard work. Only sort of issue I can report is that the swimming mini-game when trying to save Sumire was super... janky. Kind of hard to describe, but there were times when I'd be hitting a key to swim and Ogami would just sit there dead in the water. Nothing big and I got past it easily, but figured I'd let y'all know in case. I think it happened after a mine explosion so maybe there's just a super long knockback mechanic in effect.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I've completed the first three episodes via mednafen and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks so much to all involved for your hard work. Only sort of issue I can report is that the swimming mini-game when trying to save Sumire was super... janky. Kind of hard to describe, but there were times when I'd be hitting a key to swim and Ogami would just sit there dead in the water. Nothing big and I got past it easily, but figured I'd let y'all know in case. I think it happened after a mine explosion so maybe there's just a super long knockback mechanic in effect.
The mini games were hell on earth to patch. So many nightmares that players will never know about.

The biggest praise I've seen is that people assume the next episode previews always had English graphics. That was all done by Trekkies.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to say that I cannot get this patch to work on my hardware for the life of me.

Ripped my own copies, patched them, burned to disc at 10x (slowest I got).

Using Pseudo Saturn Kai - I can get the game to boot up maybe 2 out of 5 times.
When it does boot, there will be graphic glitches, but nothing too serious, until the underground train scene in chapter 2.

The game proceeds to a black screen and never comes back up.

I'm about ready to toss the entire thing out a window.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Sad to say that I cannot get this patch to work on my hardware for the life of me.

When it does boot, there will be graphic glitches, but nothing too serious, until the underground train scene in chapter 2.

Ah come on, you can always enjoy it on your pc on an emulator. But if you want it to play on og hardware, you have to go down to at least to 4x. 10x is just too much and aint working, the saturn only has a 2x drive if i remember correctly? You could try it with 12x, maybe you gonna get better results, but i am not sure about that.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Ah come on, you can always enjoy it on your pc on an emulator. But if you want it to play on og hardware, you have to go down to at least to 4x. 10x is just too much and aint working, the saturn only has a 2x drive if i remember correctly? You could try it with 12x, maybe you gonna get better results, but i am not sure about that.
Good luck finding a burner that will go that low these days.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Good luck finding a burner that will go that low these days.
Woh, stop the clock! Good luck finding a burner which goes down to 1x these days, which is also possible to set up to a "modern" pc. But you still can find burners from 2003 till 2009 (maybe), which can easily be connected to a modern pc and go down to 4x.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RiZ IV

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017

Try just making a burn of the original unpatched game. If that works, then it's something that went wrong in your patching process. At which point try running you're patched iso using mednafen and see if that works. If it doesn't, it's definitely something in the patching process.

If you're burned version of the original game exhibits the same problems, then it's probably your cd-rs or your burner. Try getting different cd-rs in that case.

For what it's worth, I burn all my Saturn games at 10x without any problems.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Try just making a burn of the original unpatched game. If that works, then it's something that went wrong in your patching process. At which point try running you're patched iso using mednafen and see if that works. If it doesn't, it's definitely something in the patching process.

If you're burned version of the original game exhibits the same problems, then it's probably your cd-rs or your burner. Try getting different cd-rs in that case.

For what it's worth, I burn all my Saturn games at 10x without any problems.

Trying the Japanese version now. Can't believe I didn't think of this before. :|

Edit: Tested. Japanese version works fine. I'm afraid the issue lies with Pseudo Saturn Kai now.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see certain emulators having issues, my computer ran emulator can run this game fine, on my nvidia shield pro otoh, it won't run said emulator for some reason and the game has some cutscene issues with flickering . Oh well I'm just stocked that I can finally play this game in english, so thanks for doing the work. And not gonna lie... I sighed when I got told I was a man of culture.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying the Japanese version now. Can't believe I didn't think of this before. :|

Edit: Tested. Japanese version works fine. I'm afraid the issue lies with Pseudo Saturn Kai now.
No way the Psuedo Saturn is the issue, I'm playing it on original hardware with not problems using Psuedo Saturn to boot the burned copy with translation patch applied.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I finally beat the game. The final two episodes were quite the emotional rollercoaster. It's such a lovely and great game and I'm really thankful to the whole fansubbing group, who all did a phenomenal job. Finally I was able to play the game in English. They went above and beyond with this translation, even giving the FMV cutscenes subtitles and more. Inredible! I hope that after they now got the knowledge with the first game, they'll also translate the other Sakura Taisen games for Saturn. A dream would be to also get a translation of the Dreamcast one. Of course, I know how taxing and long these projects are and I can totally understand if they're not going to do it. It sure would be amazing, though!

In case you're interested: I ended up with Sakura. It was a very tough decision between her and Kohran, but I figured I might as well go with the main heroine.

Again, thank you so much for everyone involved in this project. It was a dream come true to finally play this great game in English. I hope more people will check it out!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My copy of the game finally arrived so I only just started playing with the translation patch recently.

This game is so good. It's totally up my alley. I don't know what I'm going to do about the other games in the series once I'm done with 1. I might have to print out translation guides like I did in my youth...

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
My copy of the game finally arrived so I only just started playing with the translation patch recently.

This game is so good. It's totally up my alley. I don't know what I'm going to do about the other games in the series once I'm done with 1. I might have to print out translation guides like I did in my youth...
You could also try Sakura Wars V! It's available in english on PS2 and Wii.