• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
D46mJEQUcAEj2A8.jpg

This was originally translated by Ayumi Tachibana from SmashBoards. IntelliHeath has reached out to PushDustIn to verify these translations. If any of them are inaccurate, I will adjust the OP accordingly.

• He knows some are serious, but he doesn't think characters like Iron Man and Goku will happen. (p27)
  • DLC could say shortening the life span of its franchise. For Smash those characters could join in next time. But Smash is also not a title to think about continuation so doing his best every time. (p27)
  • He wants Smash to be more casual and see non-competitive tournaments. Smash is a party game. But he also knows he is not the one to plan those. (p31)
  • In Smash for days, there was restriction of a time span to offer updates and 3DS had a limited number of times to update. So Wii U version had to do the same. This is why Lucas, Roy, and Ryu released at the same time. (p33)
  • If it's a one time purchase type of game, then it's more efficient for the company to start making the next game than keep updating. (p59)
  • Updates are normal thing these days, but still they are voluntary service. (p59)
  • He always thinks it's important to hear voices from people not speaking up. Real beginners don't speak up. (p61)
  • The plan of Smash Ultimate completed December 16th 2015. It's a coincidence, but was the same day of the last Smash for Direct. (p63)
  • He is not thinking of doing Smash Ballot again. It was used in Smash Ultimate's development very much. (p63)
  • Bayonetta was the first pick among realisable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected. (p63)
  • He was making the plans for Smash Ultimate during the vacation he got after Smash for DLC was done. (p69)
  • He treats character's individuality as its own game itself. All the unique systems certain characters has are all newly built just for him/her. (p69)
  • It's already had proven true that joining as a character in Smash has advertising effect. (p99)
  • He played through beta version of Zelda BotW to the end in 2 days during the Smash Ultimate development because he needed to know how new Link works before anyone else. (p125)
  • He thinks games should not be created based on researched data alone and saying games only born to imitate other games are misfortune. Those data should be used for marketings or managements, not to plan new games. Old data are old. (p133)
  • (Speaking of Super Nintendo World) 60 billion yen is enough to make every Smash game up to Ultimate and more with couple ten billion of changes. Not many Japanese games have budgets over 10 billion yen. (p139)
  • He wish there were Smash Area in Super Nintendo World. (p139)
  • Smash Ultimate's DLC wasn't a thing at the time around Famitsu column vol. 546 January 11th 2018, and it was planned without the developers will. (p165)
  • DLC developments in general take time, so by the time of the release, the market will be much smaller than it used to be. DLC business is very risky than people might think. (p165)
  • They are not something sell that much so it's difficult to gather staffs. Sometimes better to move on to the next game. (p165)
  • He is not fond of the idea of the season pass. Its a little scary to buy without knowing the contents. (p165)
  • Omega and Battlefield for every stages take a lot more work than people might think. (p187)
  • HAL Laboratory, Inc. is still on the credits list, but not involved in the development anymore. (p188)
  • If you think about the completion of the development, bringing back everyone is not something you should do. (p189)
  • The team was very careful of leaks at E3 2018. They didn't use printed promotional materials to avoid leaks. "Everyone is here" wasn't known even in Nintendo so the when it happened Nintendo staffs were also screaming. (p190)
  • Smash tend to have characters from older series. But just old characters wouldn't make Smash worthy. If there is no new series, then the selection of the characters will be from the old series. (p199)
  • People say "why they can't do this easy stuff?" but there is always a reason for that, One correction could cause another bug. (p205)
  • The story idea of World of Light was already existed since Smash Brawl. (p208)
  • He doesn't follow internets reaction so didn't know all the fan predictions. (p209)
  • The idea of the Spirits is kind of the last resort. He is not sure he'll be making another gameplay like the Spirits. (p211)
  • There was a plan to include a map like the Spirits to the Adventure Mode in Smash Melee. (p211)
  • He said he took a long vacation, but actually he was just taking breaks as the calendar goes. He has a cat so he can't go for a long trip. (p214)
  • By the time of the end of March 2019, the online win ratio of every character are very close to each other at the point he almost thinks better not to change anymore. (p216)
  • There are metas, so just certain characters were strong at that time is not good enough reason to make them change. (p216)

From the sound of it, Sakurai doesn't seem to be very fond of DLC as a whole, especially season passes (to the point where I'm surprised that he didn't just reveal everyone in it when the characters were locked in). And as for Bayonetta, this should hopefully quell the fears that some had about Sakurai potentially lying about Bayonetta being the winner of the reasonable choices (though it does raise some questions about which characters Sakurai & Co. weren't able to get). Special thanks to IntelliHeath for bringing this to my attention & Ayumi Tachibana for doing the initial translation.

Source: Sakurai's recent book (translated by Ayumi Tachibana, pending PushDustIn's verification)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
  • He wants Smash to be more casual and see non-competitive tournaments. Smash is a party game. But he also knows he is not the one to plan those. (p31)

I feel like this is going to make some people mad lmao.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, 4 solid pages of him tearing down Melee fans. Impressive.
In my opinion some of them deserve it.
The crap surrounding that game has become cultish and rotten.

And he's right, Smash IS a party game and always has been.
It was never planned to be a competitive fighter, just a fun trip down Nintendo history.
Its fine if people want to play it competitely, but then can't then complain about it as it wasnt designed that way.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sounds like DLC only happens because Nintendo wants it and Sakurai doesn't want to hand off the reins.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Definitely curious for who got in the list above Bayonetta or Cloud aside from Snake or characters not originating from video games. Who would people be legit asking for?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Definitely curious for who got in the list above Bayonetta or Cloud aside from Snake or characters not originating from video games. Who would people be legit asking for?
From the sound of it, the only ones who were ahead of Bayonetta were veterans & third-party characters whose owners turned down Sakurai's Smash proposal.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I figured as much for Season 2; oh well.

So Snake was in consideration for 4's DLC. I assumed time constraints in addition to Konami drama were how he missed the base roster, but I guess we have confirmation of the latter for DLC. Perhaps Simon was also in consideration? Regardless, it's humbling how much they've turned around with Ultimate.

Lucky Sakurai for getting to play BOTW so early. I was always curious how that lined up with Ultimate's development.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Oh he wrote a book too?
Sure, why not.
Next I expect him to find a way to sacrifice his remaining one hour of sleep per day to develop a tv show or something.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they reveal all the DLC characters up front considering the last one isn't coming out til next year? I don't even think the final line-up was decided upon until after the season pass was announced.

Reading the bullet points makes me think we're definitely only getting one fighter pass as opposed to multiple seasons like what some were speculating.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
From the sound of it, the only ones who were ahead of Bayonetta were veterans & third-party characters whose owners turned down Sakurai's Smash proposal.

Right, but who specifically. Who is really hot in gaming, not in Smash already, and not on amicable relations with Nintendo? Maybe Erdrick was in there and SE pushed back, or Joker and the same with Atlus?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta was the first pick among realisable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected. (p63)
Now I'm wondering who the other unworkable characters were. Judging by the first bullet point, there must have been a couple of non-video game characters up there (Goku for sure at least), but I wonder who they couldn't negotiate with.

Saying that Snake couldn't work makes me think that other Konami characters couldn't be worked out back then as well, so Simon and maybe Bomberman?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please NO MORE DLC. Just let him move on to something other than Smash. Get someone else to do it now.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why would they reveal all the DLC characters up front considering the last one isn't coming out til next year? I don't even think the final line-up was decided upon until after the season pass was announced.

Reading the bullet points makes me think we're definitely only getting one fighter pass as opposed to multiple seasons like what some were speculating.
For clarity of who's in the pass before you buy it, something that most other fighting games have done recently (Bandai Namco aside). Sakurai even notes that he isn't a fan of mystery season passes, so the decision to keep everyone a secret was likely Nintendo's call.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Right, but who specifically. Who is really hot in gaming, not in Smash already, and not on amicable relations with Nintendo? Maybe Erdrick was in there and SE pushed back, or Joker and the same with Atlus?
Given that he mentioned Snake by name, I wouldn't be surprised if Simon was one of them. Sakurai did mention in the past that Simon got in thanks to requests for a Castlevania character from the Smash Ballot.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For clarity of who's in the pass before you buy it, something that most other fighting games have done recently (Bandai Namco aside). Sakurai even notes that he isn't a fan of mystery season passes, so the decision to keep everyone a secret was likely Nintendo's call.
Are all five characters finalized?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo made the right call. Revealing the characters as they're released draws in way more marketing hype and mind share. I'm pretty sure if the final DLC character coming in 2020 was revealed in 2018, it wouldn't get that much attention when it matters the most.

I'm also pretty sure it's the same case for most fighting games, at least it was for SFV and DBFZ.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
At the time Sm4sh came out, it could've been Banjo, Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Conker or stuff they maybe didn't want to put in like Ridley or K.Rool.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People say "why they can't do this easy stuff?" but there is always a reason for that, One correction could cause another bug. (p205)
That goes to people just complaining about some feature that they haven't implemented and that it should be so easy thay devs are lazy

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nintendo made the right call. Revealing the characters as they're released draws in way more marketing hype and mind share. I'm pretty sure if the final DLC character coming in 2020 was revealed in 2018, it wouldn't get that much attention when it matters the most.

I'm also pretty sure it's the same case for most fighting games, at least it was for SFV and DBFZ.
Capcom moved away from keeping season pass characters a secret as of SFV Season 3 (we don't have a season pass for Season 4, so this still technically holds true). They were even up-front about MvCI's Season Pass characters.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Even Sakurai hates Melee fans. lol

As someone who prefers to play 1v1 stock without items I agree with him. Smash is at its core a party game along with Mario Kart, Mario Party, Guitar Hero, Just Dance, and Wii Sports. Now Ultimate does have a lot of compromises and features to please people like me but that still doesn't change the core identity of the series.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, they pretty much threw the DLC in his lap, that sounds terrible...

Also, lol, go to town on the Melee community, I'm not complaining about that. Some deserve it so badly.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

I figured maybe the reason Erdrick wasn't in 4's DLC/Ultimate's base roster was because of some licensing reason (likely music costs damn you Sugiyama) and the only way to get him in would be DLC). I can almost imagine the "We tried to get him before, but couldn't until now" statement from Sakurai. Hopefully if/when he's revealed Sakurai can shed some light on that.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yup, certainly sounds like it.
Makes me feel a little better he's not a fan of the mystery pass concept. Does seem like a Nintendo thing.

So, I'm a little confused, when exactly was the DLC decided? Is it clear now?
The Fighters Pass characters were finalized as of November 6th, 2018. I posted the tweet where Sakurai confirmed that a few posts ago.

But yeah, it doesn't seem like we're gonna get a Season 2.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
  • It's already had proven true that joining as a character in Smash has advertising effect. (p99)
This is interesting. We all assumed this but I wonder what data Nintendo has to show how a series grew. Would love to look at that lol

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And people call me crazy when I say Smash is and always has been a party game.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is interesting. We all assumed this but I wonder what data Nintendo has to show how a series grew. Would love to look at that lol
It's kinda funny when you consider that Roy in Melee was likely a cautionary tale of sorts for Sakurai to avoid including newer characters until their games are (almost) done. Had it not been for that, I feel like we would have gotten characters like Rosalina in Brawl, Inkling in Wii U/3DS (via DLC), and Spring Man & Rex in Ultimate (considering how Sakurai actively apologized for ARMS & XB2's absence in the roster).